Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Def Leppard - "Songs from the Sparkle Lounge" - March 18

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Def Leppard - "Songs from the Sparkle Lounge" - March 18

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-08, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cungar
ISn't Def Leppard pretty much a pop metal band? Why are ballads a surprise. It's been a staple of the band's albums since the beginning.
Well they started out as a ROCK band, not a "pop metal" band.

I wouldn't say a "staple". Check out "High 'n Dry" and "On Through The Night". Ballads were the exception on those albums, not the norm. I will point out that "Bringing On The Heartbreak" is a good song. For a ballad.

More songs like "Saturday Night", "Wasted", "Rock Brigade", and "Let It Go" are songs they should be doing if they want to be respected in the rock world. Songs like what I've heard from the new album like "Love" are just too wimpy.
Old 04-21-08, 10:33 AM
Premium Member

Received 703 Likes on 467 Posts
Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
More songs like "Saturday Night", "Wasted", "Rock Brigade", and "Let It Go" are songs they should be doing if they want to be respected in the rock world. Songs like what I've heard from the new album like "Love" are just too wimpy.
The Steve Clark and Pete Willis influence on the band are loooooooong gone.
Old 04-21-08, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
"Love" is not the ballad the Amazon clip would have you believe. The song builds as it goes.
Old 04-21-08, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by big whoppa
FYI, Def Leppard is set to perform on "Dancing with the Stars." I think it will be this Tuesday night.
The 29th (album release date)
Old 04-28-08, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The guitar picks that come with the CD

Old 04-28-08, 01:54 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
steve clark is turning over in his fckin grave, mate

leppard, you are dead to me
Old 04-28-08, 03:16 PM
FuQ

Just saw them in San Diego on Saturday. It was a great show and they played the new song and it wasn't that bad. Styx and REO Speedwagon opened. It was a fun time and the place was sold out. I would say about 3,000 people, it is a smaller venue but more intimate and state of the art. I've seen the Chili Peppers there and STP. Great Venue. Cricket Wireless Amphitheater.
Old 04-29-08, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by An4h0ny
steve clark is turning over in his fckin grave, mate

leppard, you are dead to me
Care to explain why?
Old 04-29-08, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GuessWho
The 29th (album release date)
Heads up--On Dancing tonight.
Old 04-29-08, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What a great performance on Dancing With The Stars! Pour Some Sugar On Me sounded so good I thought for a minute that they just threw in a Hysteria cd and pretended to play along....oh wait
Old 04-29-08, 09:26 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by SuperBatMan
Care to explain why?
everything they've done in the last ten years

no explanation necessary
Old 04-30-08, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by An4h0ny
everything they've done in the last ten years

no explanation necessary
I agree.

If you have to ask, you were never there in the early days. When they were a ROCK band.
Old 04-30-08, 12:03 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
I agree.

If you have to ask, you were never there in the early days. When they were a ROCK band.
Yawn. I was there in the early days, but I don't see the need to feel personally offended. Bands change and your tastes didn't. Move on. Listen to what you loved and forget about whatever doesn't interest you. Why carry a grudge for bands you used to love? Even if they put out something like what they did in the 80s, it would be called a sellout rather than a return to form. It will never feel or be the same. They're just doing now whatever they need to do to stay interested - if "staying interested" means making a dent in the charts by being pop-oriented, so be it. Register your feelings by not being interested - don't buy.

As for me, I'm torn on whether to invest or not. I don't hold a grudge against the band - they can change any way they want. I may go along for the ride, I might not. (I'm one of the few that saw Slang as a mature, challenging new direction for them.) I'm not sure I'm interested in what I've heard so far - this sounds pretty slick, like overly slick, even for Def Leppard.
Old 04-30-08, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think they're trying to go along the path of some of their influences. First with Yeah and now influence-based originals.

For ex, "Love" could easily be a Queen song.
Old 04-30-08, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
On first listen, I really wasn't too crazy, but after a few more spins, it's started to grow on me a bit.

There are definitely more than enough duds, but a few songs I'm really digging are C'mon C'mon, Tomorrow, Hallucinate, and even Bad Actress.

(I picked up the new Whitesnake the same day and I was pretty impressed with the only spin I've given that so far.)
Old 04-30-08, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by malnar
Yawn. I was there in the early days, but I don't see the need to feel personally offended. Bands change and your tastes didn't. Move on.
I did. About 19 years ago. Talk about the new album having "no ballads" and being a "return to form" sparked my interest. Most of the song clips I heard, didn't.

Relax. I hold no "grudges" against Def Leppard. I've haven't even thought of them more than once or twice in the past 19 years. There's PLENTY of other bands out there that know how to ROCK. However, "High 'n Dry" will most likely always remain in my top 20 list of albums of all time.
Old 05-01-08, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Shamus McAnally
On first listen, I really wasn't too crazy, but after a few more spins, it's started to grow on me a bit.

I picked up the new Whitesnake the same day and I was pretty impressed with the only spin I've given that so far.
First listen didn't really do much for me, either - unlike the new Whitesnake, which was quite good on initial spin.

Gonna have to give the Leppard some more time. Maybe it will still impress me.