Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Madonna Highlights Rock Hall Inductees!

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Madonna Highlights Rock Hall Inductees!

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-07, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 504 Likes on 362 Posts
Originally Posted by Decker
You can bemoan Madonna's induction, but please don't imply that if ABBA, Chicago, Neil Diamond, Linda Ronstadt, Burt Bacharach or Sonny & Cher got inducted, you'd be pleased or feel that they warrant induction.
No, I just quoted that list with a cursory glance.

I would still say that 80% of that list should get in before Madonna, though.
Old 12-15-07, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

From that list I think the following should get in or at least get nominated:

ABBA
Albert King
Alice Cooper -->Should already be in
B-52s
Ben E. King
Billy Idol
Boston
Cheap Trick
Chicago
Deep Purple -->Should already be in
Def Leppard
DIO
Dire Straits -->Should be a lock
Doobie Brothers
Duran Duran
Electric Light Orchestra
Foreigner
Genesis -->Should be a lock
Hall & Oates
Heart
Iggy Pop
Iron Maiden -->Should be a lock
Jeff Beck -->Should already be in
Jethro Tull -->Should already be in
Jimmy Buffett
Joan Jett
Journey
Judas Priest -->Should already be in
KISS -->Should already be in
Lou Reed --> Should already be in
Metallica
Ozzy Osbourne (solo) -->Should be a lock
Pat Benatar
Pete Townshend (solo)
Peter Frampton
Peter Gabriel
Roxy Music -->Should already be in
Rush -->Should already be in
Ry Cooder
Steppenwolf
Steve Miller Band
Stevie Ray Vaughan -->Should be a lock
Sting (solo)
Styx
Supertramp
T. Rex
Ted Nugent
The Cars
The Cure -->Should be a lock
The Doobie Brothers
The Moody Blues
The Replacements
The Smiths -->Should be a lock
Thin Lizzy -->If the Sex Pistols and Ramones are in, they should be, too.
Three Dog Night
Todd Rundgren
Tom Waits
UFO -->Same as Thin Lizzy
Yes

All of those artists deserve AT LEAST nominations, and most deserve to be in.
Old 12-15-07, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,989 Likes on 4,744 Posts
I concur with most of your sentiment above, though not with Thin Lizzy and UFO, and think Lou Reed is well represented already by The Velvet Underground. I would also add Doobie Brothers, and Cheap Trick to the list of "should be in already". I'm also kinda shocked that Metallica wasn't a first-ballot entry; I know they weren't "critic's darlings", but they're one of the most successful rock bands ever and one of the few to persist continuously for the 25 year eligibility period.

BTW : Sting's first solo album, Dream of the Blue Turtles came out in 1985, so he in fact won't be eligible until 2010 for his solo work, fwiw. Don't know if there are other mistakes on that list as well...

Last edited by Decker; 12-15-07 at 10:45 AM.
Old 12-15-07, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I still say if the Sex Pistols and Ramones are in then Thin Lizzy and UFO should be in (they were more successful commercially, and just as influential).
Old 12-15-07, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by MadonnasManOne
Stating facts, and having a discussion on the issue, is not failure. The only thing that can be considered a failure is that ridiculous picture.
Your entire premise is failure, the picture is just a visual aid.
As is this one, which adds a little color to a fairly pedestrian thread:

Last edited by covenant; 12-15-07 at 12:05 PM.
Old 12-15-07, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FWIW, Metallica is not eligible for induction until next year and yes they will get in on the first ballot.
Old 12-15-07, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by covenant
Your entire premise is failure, the picture is just a visual aid.
As is this one, which adds a little color to a fairly pedestrian thread:
If you think you are funny, I can say that you aren't. In that, you fail. You are nobody to me, so, I could care less what you judge as failure. Moving on.
Old 12-15-07, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Dubya
FWIW, Metallica is not eligible for induction until next year and yes they will get in on the first ballot.
That's crazy to think that next year is the first year that Metallica is eligible. Good Lord! To think that I've grown up listening to artists like Madonna and Metallica, and then to realize that their first works were released 24-25 years ago, really makes me feel my age.

Yes, I would imagine that Metallica will certainly make it in during their first year of eligibility.
Old 12-16-07, 03:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

why is it that if you weren't "rock" in the 50's and 60's, nobody will complain that you're in the hall of fame, but if you made "pop" music after the Nixon administration, if you're recognized by the HOF, it's an outrage? There are countless girl groups, Motown artists, soul artists, pop vocal groups, etc... in the Hall Of Fame, but nobody cares if they weren't rock. But if you still made pop music after Led Zeppelin came out, you don't merit a place in the HOF for being pop? It's a load of bull. If Percy Sledge and The Staples Singers merit a spot in the HOF, then Madonna certainly does. I certainly think most non-biased against pop people would argue Madonna has certainly accomplished a hell of a lot more and done more for the industry than either of them.

And for the person who mentioned Britney getting in in 15 or so years, you seriously need to lay the crackpipe down. You know that Madonna is an anomoly when it comes to female pop stars. Aretha and Tina are the only other true "divas" in the HOF. Barbra isn't, Cher isn't, Diana Ross isn't (as a solo artist), Dionne Warwick isn't, etc... KISS will be in the HOF for a decade before Britney even makes a ballot list. People who aren't hard-rock snobs who think everything that doesn't sound like Back In Black is crap knows that Madonna is easily the most critically respected of all the "female pop superstars". She's been here for 25 years, she's going into the HOF, get over it, it's not 1985 anymore where you are positive she'll be over in a year. If Cher, Barbra, Diana, Dionne, etc... aren't in the HOF, what makes you think Britney will?

Last edited by nothingfails; 12-16-07 at 03:05 AM.
Old 12-16-07, 04:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 2,058 Likes on 1,258 Posts
Originally Posted by nothingfails
why is it that if you weren't "rock" in the 50's and 60's, nobody will complain that you're in the hall of fame, but if you made "pop" music after the Nixon administration, if you're recognized by the HOF, it's an outrage? There are countless girl groups, Motown artists, soul artists, pop vocal groups, etc... in the Hall Of Fame, but nobody cares if they weren't rock. But if you still made pop music after Led Zeppelin came out, you don't merit a place in the HOF for being pop? It's a load of bull. If Percy Sledge and The Staples Singers merit a spot in the HOF, then Madonna certainly does. I certainly think most non-biased against pop people would argue Madonna has certainly accomplished a hell of a lot more and done more for the industry than either of them.

I see your point. But can't one also say that many of those Motown, Soul, and vocal groups influenced a great many Rock bands that came out of the 60's and 70's particularly the ones at the forefront of the "British Invasion"? So it would seem their placement is somewhat valid.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 12-16-07 at 04:55 AM.
Old 12-16-07, 05:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There are countless girl groups, Motown artists, soul artists, pop vocal groups, etc... in the Hall Of Fame, but nobody cares if they weren't rock.
I agree with your whole statement. As a fan who one day might visit the museum, I know I'd get way more enjoyment out of seeing rock bands mixed in with stuff on the fringes of whatever the definition is.
Old 12-16-07, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I wouldn't have a problem with Madonna getting in - in her 3rd or 4th year of eligibility - IF most of those deserving ROCK bands were inducted first. The problem is that there are a lot of eligible ROCK bands who SHOULD be in the Hall of Fame, but are not.
Old 12-16-07, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by MadonnasManOne
If you think you are funny, I can say that you aren't. In that, you fail.
The butt of the joke never thinks it's funny....
Old 12-16-07, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by covenant
The butt of the joke never thinks it's funny....
The only butt, here, is you.
Old 12-16-07, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts
I like the pictures and shall add them to my library for future use.
Old 12-16-07, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I see your point. But can't one also say that many of those Motown, Soul, and vocal groups influenced a great many Rock bands that came out of the 60's and 70's particularly the ones at the forefront of the "British Invasion"? So it would seem their placement is somewhat valid.
and don't kid yourself if you don't think there's an entire generation of artists out now who weren't influenced by Madonna and Michael Jackson.
Old 12-16-07, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

and don't kid yourself if you don't think there's an entire generation of artists out now who weren't influenced by Madonna and Michael Jackson.
Yeah, but very few of them have anything to do with Rock and Roll.
Old 12-16-07, 08:19 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Once again, apparently you don't understand what rock and roll is. This divisive stuff practiced by some folks will never negate that fact. Hell, for my money, Johnny Cash is every bit as rock as Elvis ever could be...maybe more.
Old 12-16-07, 08:43 PM

Incoming Rock and Roll Hall of Famer Madonna considers herself in good company. "I was fortunate to have inducted my idol David Bowie a few years back, so to be included alongside him and so many other amazing artists that have come before me is an honor," the pop icon said in a statement to The Plain Dealer, sent Friday through her publicist. Madonna did indeed do the honors when Bowie was enshrined in 1996, although he chose not to attend the festivities. Madonna is expected to be on hand for the Rock Hall's 23rd annual induction ceremony Monday, March 10, at New York City's Waldorf-Astoria Hotel, her publicist said. The other performers in the Rock Hall's Class of 2008 are the Ventures, John Mellencamp, the Dave Clark Five and Leonard Cohen.
Old 12-16-07, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think there's as much sexism as there is "anti-pop" sentimentality. I think for most pop fans who grew up in the 80's and grew up with the dawning, the "big three" artists of the Reagan era were Michael Jackson, Madonna and Prince. Michael and Prince are already in the HOF, which they both deserve to be, but nobody complained that Michael wasn't "rock and roll" (I single Michael out here because Prince is as much of a rocker as he is an r&b or pop artist). If those of you who think everything has to sound like Zeppelin to merit being in the HOF, explain why you didn't mind Jacko getting in? and do not use the "he used Eddie Van Halen and Slash before" card. Considering MJ got in on the strength of two albums and two albums only (Off The Wall and Thriller, it's all been downhill since), why shouldn't Madonna get in as well considering she has continued to grow and adapt to time instead of churning the same album out for over two decades because "if it ain't broke".... There has always been a lot of sexism towards Madonna because it pisses a lot of men off to see a woman have the same sort of power that Elvis, Jagger, McCartney, Bowie, Dylan, etc... have had. It's always been "separate but equal" between male and female artists and Madonna smashed open the glass ceiling and became just as powerful as her male counterparts instead of always being a few rungs below them.

Last edited by nothingfails; 12-16-07 at 09:49 PM.
Old 12-16-07, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Very well said, nothingfails. I completely agree. In fact, it is so sad to see, in this day and age, that ageism and sexism are still very much alive.

It's ridiculous that there are people arguing against Madonna being inducted. However, I wouldn't expect anything less. You know that nothing is ever simple where Madonna is concerned, and I'm sure that's just the way she likes it.
Old 12-16-07, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's a bunch of crap.

It's got nothing to do with sexism. I never liked Michael Jackson getting in for the same reason, but he got in a while back, so there weren't the same kind of internet forum outlets like there are now. Believe me, there were people saying the same thing about MJ.
Old 12-16-07, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Let's put it this way, if there were a Pop Music Hall of Fame, you think Pop fans would like AC/DC and Metallica getting in? (Or Iron Maiden and Judas Priest? Or Led Zeppelin, for that matter!)

I don't for one second think that only bands that sound like Zeppelin or AC/DC should get in, but I do think that beyond 1970 or so if you didn't play Rock and Roll then you can't make a claim to be a Roots artist or an Early Influence to qualify.

The Cure and The Smiths? Should go in. KISS and Deep Purple? Should go in. Roxy Music? Why aren't they in already?

Madonna? Not until artists like the ones above are in. If ever. But the fans have no pull, so it doesn't matter what any of us say - it's up to Jann Wenner and his stooges who hand pick the inductees.

Last edited by B5Erik; 12-16-07 at 10:22 PM.
Old 12-16-07, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts
Ageism and sexism? BWAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!! That is fucking stupid.
Old 12-16-07, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by cdollaz
Ageism and sexism? BWAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!! That is fucking stupid.
Yes, it is fucking stupid that those attitudes still exist, but, they do.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.