Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Madonna Highlights Rock Hall Inductees!

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Madonna Highlights Rock Hall Inductees!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-08, 02:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Rock Hall of Fame should consider forming a veteran's committee, made up of Hall of Fame inductees, to pick some of the artists inducted each year. That's how it's done in the Baseball Hall of Fame. That might get more of the acts in that have been previously overlooked.
Old 03-15-08, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 483 Likes on 354 Posts
Geez, Madonna fans just don't get it.

It's not her getting in that bugs most people (although it clearly bugs some), its the TIMING. Most of the groups/artists that I would take exception to came out BEFORE the bands I think should get in released their first albums.

As much as the Staple Singers induction may be laughable in many respects, they DID release their first record in 1959. So that they were inducted before KISS, Rush, Deep Purple, Yes, Alice Cooper, Roxy Music, etc, makes a certain amount of sense - they came first.

Madonna released her first album a decade AFTER most of those deserving ROCK bands. So her induction BEFORE them is doubly insuting to those bands and their fans.

Let me give you another band that will never get in, but is one of the most deserving - Iron Maiden. Easily one of the most influential bands of the 80's, they were also hugely successful WITHOUT the help of widespread radio airplay. And they are still around today, still playing sold out shows to crowds of 10,000+, but will never even see the nominees list, let alone get in.

They are yet another band whose first album came out BEFORE Madonna's.

Again, it's the timing more than anything.

The snobs voting on this thing should ALL be replaced with some people who aren't so closed minded - people who get what Rock and Roll is all about, and don't necessarily put their personal tastes above who is really deserving to get in.
Old 03-15-08, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Please remember that the Rock and Roll Fall of Fame museum has Debbie Gibson and Britney Spears things in it. That said, I see no problem with Madonna or any other pop act being inducted into the fall of fame.

It also does not bother me that Madonna was inducted before anyone on the list that someone posted. Who gives a flip. If you are a fan, enjoy the music. Them being or not being in his hall of fame thing does not change your enjoyment of the music. Hall of Fames mean nothing.
Old 03-15-08, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ok, so saying The Staples Singers coming out when they did makes it "okay" they got in, while an "undeserving pop singer" like Madonna doesn't, then I guess that means you'd have no problem if Barbra Streisand or Liza Minnelli got in, right? They've been around since the early 60's, neither of them have ever come near rock in their life (Madonna at least had her songs with guitars and what-have-you), so if Liza was inducted, it'd be okay simply because her first album was over 40 years ago? I don't buy it.

Love Madonna or hate Madonna, if you didn't see her as a first-year inductee ala U2, R.E.M. and Prince from 100 miles away (all three of those got in first year, and all three of them were contemporaries of Madonna's), you obviously have never followed her career closely enough. She is perhaps the most revolutionary "pop star" of her time. Pop stars aren't supposed to break taboos, pop stars aren't supposed to have an opinion, pop stars aren't supposed to stay relevant and keep fresh over a span of 20 years. Madonna is a pop star who played the game like a rock star. That is why she got in.
Old 03-15-08, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by nothingfails
Madonna is a pop star who played the game like a rock star. That is why she got in.
BINGO! We have a winner!

Very well said.

Also, as nightwing82 stated above...just enjoy the music. Whoever you are a fan of, whether they are in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, or not, just enjoy the music. I enjoyed Madonna's music LONG before she was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and I'll enjoy it LONG after!
Old 03-15-08, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by MadonnasManOne
BINGO! We have a winner!

Very well said.

Also, as nightwing82 stated above...just enjoy the music. Whoever you are a fan of, whether they are in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, or not, just enjoy the music. I enjoyed Madonna's music LONG before she was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and I'll enjoy it LONG after!
I agree. The one that I didn't like was the ignorant comment that "does this mean Britney's getting in too?". That kind of comment just shows narrowmindedness and refusal to acknoledge music outside of your comfort zone.

While a lot of cock rockers want to think of Madonna in the same line with Britney, I think because of the reasons I stated earlier, you'll find a lot of critics and rock fans (ones who realize there is actually good music out there that isn't heavy metal/hard rock) who will give Madonna a level of respect you'll never see given to Whitney, Mariah, Celine, Janet, Britney, Kylie and all the other "divas" to come out in the past 20-25 years. If you can't see why Madonna is seen in a different light by a lot of critics and non-pop fans, then you need to brush up on Madonnaology 101. Rock singers are supposed to be political, sexy, relevant and opinionated... not pop singers. Madonna may have always been a pop singer but she was a "rock star". Love her or hate her, she earned her spot in the HOF, and I think even moreso because she earned it being a female pop singer in a male rock world.