Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Madonna Highlights Rock Hall Inductees!

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Madonna Highlights Rock Hall Inductees!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-07, 10:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
If there is a music industry hall of fame? Go for it. A popular music hall of fame? She should be one of the first. But the fact is, she shouldn't be in the Rock and Roll Hall. Hell, I can play the guitar as well (and been doing it a lot longer than her), should I be there as well? Of course not. Just because she has learned to play an instrument doesnt a rocker make. Hell, Lou Reed and Ozzy Osbourne as a soloist isnt even in yet for fucks sake.

Again, she is definitely a musical icon, and I enjoy a good deal of her music, but far from rock and roll.
I know a fan brought it up to defend her but obviously guitar playing didn't make or break her here.
Old 12-14-07, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I guess we can expect Britney Spears to be inducted into the "rock 'n roll" hall of fame 20 years from now. She's just as relevant to "rock and roll" as Madonna. Maybe even more so.
Old 12-14-07, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Okay, wow. Looking at that list Chris posted makes me think it definitely isn't Madonna's time for the HoF. I don't keep up with these lists because I don't care that much, but a large chunk of those bands deserve to be in waaaay before her.
Old 12-14-07, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
When is Depeche Mode going to be entered in? Many bands today say DM was the biggest influence in their music.
Old 12-14-07, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 504 Likes on 362 Posts
Originally Posted by Chrisedge
ABBA
Albert King
Alice Cooper
B-52s
Ben E. King
Billy Idol
Billy Preston
Blue Öyster Cult
Boston
Burt Bacharach
Cat Stevens
Cheap Trick
Chicago
Deep Purple
Def Leppard
DIO
Dire Straits
Donovan
Doobie Brothers
Duran Duran
Electric Light Orchestra
Foreigner
Genesis
Hall & Oates
Heart
Iggy Pop
Iron Maiden
Jeff Beck
Jethro Tull
Jimmy Buffett
Joan Jett
Joe Cocker
Journey
Judas Priest
KISS
Linda Ronstadt
Los Lobos
Lou Reed
Metallica
Neil Diamond
Ozzy Osbourne (solo)
Pat Benatar
Pete Townshend (solo)
Peter Frampton
Peter Gabriel
Roxy Music
Rush
Ry Cooder
Sonny and Cher
Squeeze
Steppenwolf
Steve Miller Band
Steve Winwood (solo)
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Sting (solo)
Styx
Supertramp
T. Rex
Ted Nugent
The Cars
The Cure
The Doobie Brothers
The Go-Go's
The Hollies
The Jam
The Moody Blues
The Replacements
The Smiths
Thin Lizzy
Three Dog Night
Todd Rundgren
Tom Waits
UFO
Yes

Just a few of the many that AREN'T in, but that ARE eligible. Now I like Madonna, but the Rock Hall is f'd up.
Madonna getting in before those artists is a JOKE.

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame continues the bad joke for yet another year...
Old 12-14-07, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by KillerCannabis
I'll tell you why: because the Hall of Shit, and it's nominations, are controlled by the editor of Rolling Stone. That douchebag is probably giving noms to his friends left and right, while leaving out true talent like Alice Cooper and KISS.
Bingo! I think Alice Cooper said something about this as well during an interview on that it's a bunch of guys that own a club in NY that make the choices that do not follow any pattern.
Old 12-14-07, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

i cant stand kiss but even i know they should bin the HOF. especially before madonna.
and for the record...madonna is not rock.
Old 12-14-07, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As a Madonna fan and a rock fan...Madonna is not rock. The rock and roll hall of fame is a shame. Madonna is pop.
Old 12-14-07, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Next thing you know she'll be nominated for the "Best New Artist" Grammy.
Old 12-14-07, 11:51 AM
Banned

You people just don't seem to get this, so let me 'splain...

Pop IS rock. Death metal IS rock. Rockabilly IS rock. Heavy metal IS rock. Grunge IS rock. Alternative IS rock. EMO IS rock. Goth IS rock. Glam IS rock.

It might not be the kind/type of rock music YOU like, but it's all rock.
Old 12-14-07, 01:00 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_%26_roll

Before then, the term "rocking and rolling", as secular black slang for dancing or sex

Alan Freed is credited with first using the phrase "rock and roll" to describe rhythm and blues music played for a multi-racial audience.

A teen idol was a recording artist who attracted a very large following of (mostly) female "teenagers", because of their good looks and "sex appeal" as much as their musical qualities. A good example is Frank Sinatra in the 1940s, although a case can be made for Rudy Vallee even earlier. With the birth of rock and roll, Elvis Presley became one of the greatest teen idols of them all. His success led promoters to the deliberate creation of new "rock and roll" idols, such as Frankie Avalon and Ricky Nelson.

Teen idols of the rock and roll years were followed by many other artists with massive appeal to a teenaged audience, including the Beatles and the Monkees. Teen idols were not only known for their catchy pop music, but good looks also played a large part in their successes.

From its early-1950s inception through the early 1960s, rock and roll music spawned new dance crazes. Teenagers found the irregular rhythm of the backbeat especially suited to reviving the jitterbug dancing of the big-band era. "Sock-hops," gym dances, and home basement dance parties became the rage, and American teens watched Dick Clark's American Bandstand to keep up on the latest dance and fashion styles. From the mid-1960s on, as "rock and roll" yielded gradually to "rock," later dance genres followed, starting with the twist, and leading up to funk, disco, house and techno.
Old 12-14-07, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 306 Likes on 224 Posts
Originally Posted by superdeluxe
When is Depeche Mode going to be entered in? Many bands today say DM was the biggest influence in their music.
You beat me to it. Yes, they're music is influenced by so many groups. But I think this museum should be changed to the MUSIC Hall of Fame. Since people have different opinions of what rock and roll is. Myself included. I do think of rock and not pop. If the name of the museum were to be changed, then I think Madonna has a right to be there. But Chrisedge's list was an eye opener. It's down right shameful that most of those names haven't been inducted before her. And some far far far more deserving.
Old 12-14-07, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by MadonnasManOne
Madonna has become quite skilled at rocking out on the guitar, which she has proven during her past three tours, where she has performed rock renditions of some of her biggest hits. On top of that, she has several tracks that have appeared on her last few albums that certainly have a "rock and roll" sensibility.
Old 12-14-07, 02:18 PM
Premium Member

Received 790 Likes on 522 Posts
Originally Posted by zombiezilla
You people just don't seem to get this, so let me 'splain...

Pop IS rock. Death metal IS rock. Rockabilly IS rock. Heavy metal IS rock. Grunge IS rock. Alternative IS rock. EMO IS rock. Goth IS rock. Glam IS rock.

It might not be the kind/type of rock music YOU like, but it's all rock.
Yeah, but it's not Rock and Roll.
Old 12-14-07, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 123 Posts
I don't have a problem with Madonna being in the Rock And Roll Hall of Fame. I do have a problem though with the fact that it's a "Club" and the fact that one person (Jann Wenner) has so much control over it. He rigged it last year so that Grandmaster Flash got in over Dave Clark Five, and he hates KISS, so they will never be in, and that he has let many of the bands on my list be looked over, so he can let his friends in.

Would it really hurt to let everyone in? Really, what difference does it make?
Old 12-14-07, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't have a problem with Madonna being in the Rock And Roll Hall of Fame. I do have a problem though with the fact that it's a "Club" and the fact that one person (Jann Wenner) has so much control over it. He rigged it last year so that Grandmaster Flash got in over Dave Clark Five, and he hates KISS, so they will never be in, and that he has let many of the bands on my list be looked over, so he can let his friends in.

Would it really hurt to let everyone in? Really, what difference does it make?
Are you fucking kidding me? Jann Wenner has final say on who gets inducted? The man who killed Rolling Stone magazine. Game over.
Old 12-14-07, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 123 Posts
Originally Posted by Daytripper
Are you fucking kidding me? Jann Wenner has final say on who gets inducted? The man who killed Rolling Stone magazine. Game over.
Yep...This is the guy who wanted in Grandmaster Flash even though DCF got more votes, because, "We had to get a rap act in".

Ozzy summed it up nicely...

In a 1999 letter to the Hall of Fame, Ozzy famously told the institution to "Just take our name off the list. Save the ink. Forget about us. The nomination is meaningless, because it's not voted on by the fans. It's voted on by the supposed elite for the industry and the media, who've never bought an album or concert ticket in their lives, so their vote is irrelevant to me." He added, "Let's face it, Black Sabbath has never been media darlings. We're a people's band and that suits us just fine."
Old 12-14-07, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by covenant
Stating facts, and having a discussion on the issue, is not failure. The only thing that can be considered a failure is that ridiculous picture.
Old 12-14-07, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

slightly off topic... I'm still irritated that Sammy Hagar got inducted with Van Halen while Ronnie James Dio was not inducted with Black Sabbath the year before
Old 12-15-07, 12:18 AM

Her Like A Prayer album has made numerous 'best rock & roll albums of all time' lists, every rock & roll history book has an entry on her (and she and/ or Tina Turner are usually the female pictured for the cover), etc, etc, etc. Never an issue til now.
Old 12-15-07, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ChristopherS
Her Like A Prayer album has made numerous 'best rock & roll albums of all time' lists, every rock & roll history book has an entry on her (and she and/ or Tina Turner are usually the female pictured for the cover), etc, etc, etc. Never an issue til now.
That doesn't make them right either... Don't get me wrong, I think Madonna is a talent, I just don't think she's RnR. Oh well, in the long run it doesn't really matter, but its fun to debate it anyways.
Old 12-15-07, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Madonna. Personally, not my cup of tea. But you cannot deny the woman is a pop music icon and legend. And there will probably never be anyone like her again. For that she deserves some recognition. But certainly not in a "Rock N' Roll" museum or on any Best Rock album list. Come on. This is why Billboard has so many different categories. The critics need to separate their lists too.

And sorry MadonnasManOne. I've seen her play guitar. It's quite terrible. I give her an A+ for effort. But the end result was dreadful and laughable. I just kept asking myself...."Why!??"
Old 12-15-07, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,989 Likes on 4,744 Posts
Originally Posted by B5Erik
Madonna getting in before those artists is a JOKE.

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame continues the bad joke for yet another year...
You can bemoan Madonna's induction, but please don't imply that if ABBA, Chicago, Neil Diamond, Linda Ronstadt, Burt Bacharach or Sonny & Cher got inducted, you'd be pleased or feel that they warrant induction.
Old 12-15-07, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Decker
You can bemoan Madonna's induction, but please don't imply that if ABBA, Chicago, Neil Diamond, Linda Ronstadt, Burt Bacharach or Sonny & Cher got inducted, you'd be pleased or feel that they warrant induction.
Have you ever listened to the first 4 or 5 Chicago albums? They are very much rock n roll and very differant from what they became in the 80's. Chicago before the death of Terry Kath was very much a rock band
Old 12-15-07, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 2,058 Likes on 1,258 Posts
the fact that one person (Jann Wenner) has so much control over it.

Is he the same guy that swore RUSH would never get nominated?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.