Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Quiet Riot singer dead at 52

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Quiet Riot singer dead at 52

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-07, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
Yep. First "metal" band to have a #1 album!

One thing that always bothered me about that ... not taking anything away from Quiet Riot ... Alice Cooper's Billion Dollar Babies went to #1 in 1973.

Its debatible wether Alice is Considered Metal or not, but in the circles that Alice Cooper is Metal, B$B was really the 1st #1 metal album.
Old 11-28-07, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

So have they said what brought him down yet?
Old 11-28-07, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 496 Likes on 359 Posts
Here are some interesting comments from former Deep Purple Bassist/Vocalist Glenn Hughes on Keving DuBrow (from KNAC.com):
"We are all grieving. Kevin and I were brothers. We spoke daily, and I mean on the phone, not e-mail. The Kevin that I knew was a beautiful human being. He was kind, giving, nurturing. And generous. He would stay at my L.A. home when he was in town.

I never saw Kevin loaded. He respected my sobriety. He always spoke how about the change of my lifestyle, and how he also wanted to change his. The last conversation I had with him 10 days ago was about this subject; he said he had to make some life changes. I was so happy and elated to hear this.

(Glenn's wife) Gabi and I spoke to him last on Friday, November 16th. He wanted to know if I could pick him up at LAX. On the 23rd, the day of a party at my house. Then there was nothing, no communication. Zero. Come Thanksgiving I knew something was strange. At the house, Kevin's room was prepared as always, with his fave candies next to the bed. He always requests them when he stays. I thought, he's gonna come jumping through the door any minute and demand to play the winner of the pool game between Chad Smith and myself. As the party ended, Gabi and I spoke of his absence. She was very upset. All along, I felt something seriously wrong.

Come Sunday morning, I couldn't take it anymore and called Lark Williams, Kev's ex-girlfriend. She was in San Francisco. I asked her if she knew a paramedic who could go over to Kev's house and investigate. Dana, the medic, got in the house only to find my sweet brother at peace. I am completely shellshocked. We were planning to go to Hawaii for some relaxation in the New Year. For those of you that didn't know him, he was a true, true friend. l'm gonna miss our dinners at the Palm in Beverly Hills. I'm gonna miss his loud voice bellowing through my house. I'm gonna miss those oh-so-corny jokes. We all will miss him.

Sleep well, brother. Your legacy is in good hands with me. Your loving brother, Glenn."
A lot of that flies in the face of Kevin's old persona. His reputation was built up as, "The Mouth That Roared," but it looks like Kevin really grew up a lot after QR lost much of their following.
Old 11-28-07, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
It sounds like he knew more than he's telling in that article if his first thought was to have someone send a paramedic over. Does that strike anyone as a little strange?
Old 11-29-07, 07:09 AM
JAA
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mikelowry
I still can remember my head banging days... come on feel the noise!
. . . but your spelling is awful. It's Cum On Feel the Noize.
Old 11-29-07, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Every 4th of July weekend they have a free metal concert in Sarasota Florida to celebrate the boat races they have down there. 2004 was Great White, 2005 was Skid Row, 2006 was Ratt and this year it was Quiet Riot! They rocked like it was 1984 and I had the time of my life. RIP Kevin!

Here are some pics I took July 4th Weekend...

Old 11-29-07, 05:34 PM

Man the girl in that last picture is HOT.
Old 11-29-07, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LivingINClip
Man the girl in that last picture is HOT.
Which one?
Old 11-29-07, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
Which one?
Old 11-29-07, 09:10 PM

If it wasn't for the breast I would have thought it was a transvestite...
Old 11-29-07, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by cactusoly
One thing that always bothered me about that ... not taking anything away from Quiet Riot ... Alice Cooper's Billion Dollar Babies went to #1 in 1973.

Its debatible wether Alice is Considered Metal or not, but in the circles that Alice Cooper is Metal, B$B was really the 1st #1 metal album.

That's a tough call, because being a huge Cooper fan, I've never considered him "Heavy Metal". He's really more what I would term "Hard rock". But, I could see where some might think so, and I would definitely say he was a godfather/inspiration to just about everyone who followed after him.

Also, in terms of the whole "Metal" tag, it didn't start coming into use heavily until the later 70's, and really, the early 80's - and by that time, the term was being used to encompass just about any rock music that was louder and crunchier than the norm. It was the dawn of what would ultimately be termed "Hair Metal" or "Glam Metal", and it just so happened that Quiet Riot were leading the pack at the time. After they hit #1 with Metal Health, the floodgates were open.

B5Erik is quite correct in that they were huge back in 83/84. Without going to far out on a limb, I think it can be reasonably said that Quiet Riot were to that era what Nirvana and Pearl Jam ended up being for "Grunge".

Last edited by Rocketdog2000; 11-29-07 at 11:01 PM.
Old 12-10-07, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 496 Likes on 359 Posts
Well, we now have a cause of death...

From KNAC.com
Kevin Dubrow Overdosed on Cocaine, Coroner Confirms
The death last month of Quiet Riot lead singer Kevin Dubrow has been ruled an accidental cocaine overdose. Clark County (Nevada) coroner spokeswoman Samantha Charles confirmed the cause Monday after toxicology results were received Monday.

Dubrow was found dead November 25th at his Las Vegas home. He was 52.
Damn. You'd think he would have known that you can't keep doing that stuff into your 40's and 50's and not have it take a toll on your heart. Then again, maybe he did and just couldn't beat an addiction without rehab (ironic, eh?). It's just sad to see him die for nothing. Quiet Riot may not have been a big band anymore, but they still put out new albums & toured and entertained a lot of people every year.

Same thing happened to John Entwhistle a few years back. There was a lesson there for Kevin to learn.

Now it's hard not to look at the title of Quiet Riot's last album a little differently.
Old 12-11-07, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by turborobb
Anymore pics of her?

As for the cause of death, who here DIDN'T expect overdose?
Old 12-11-07, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
I was still hoping for "slipped in the bathroom and banged his head".
Old 12-11-07, 12:20 PM

I was hoping for "bad allergic reaction to wig adhesive".
Old 12-11-07, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
Anymore pics of her?
None that I can post here!

The concert was sponsered by a local strip club and they had runaways on both sides of the stage with topless girls... it was so metal!
Old 12-11-07, 01:40 PM

...they had runaways on both sides of the stage with topless girls.
Wow, topless girls and runaways?! I hope the runaways were girls, too.
Old 12-11-07, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by TheMadMonk
I hope the runaways were girls, too.
They were:
Old 12-11-07, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

None that I can post here!

The concert was sponsered by a local strip club and they had runaways on both sides of the stage with topless girls... it was so metal!
That's what PMs are for.
Old 12-12-07, 06:48 AM
JAA
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cdollaz
They were:
Great pic . . . I've never seen that one. Thanks!!!
Old 02-18-15, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 797 Likes on 648 Posts
Re: Quiet Riot singer dead at 52

Anyone check out the new Quiet Riot documentary on Showtime?

Not a huge fan but Frank Bannali seems like a cool guy.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fpO9kDOnB6g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-18-15, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,299 Likes on 796 Posts

I actually just watched this on Sunday. Excellent documentary and even the after death parts are really interesting. Very enjoyable.
Old 02-19-15, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I watched it the other day too. I didn't realize that they'd added Jizzy Pearl at this point. I get it though...if you're looking to remain a viable touring entity, these unknown guys probably aren't the best option.
Old 02-19-15, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,014 Likes on 768 Posts

Just watched it last night, even though I'm not a metal fan. I liked it. It's right up there with The Other F Word in terms of aging rock-n-rollers
Old 02-19-15, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 130 Likes on 112 Posts

I also saw it about a week ago and liked it too.
I was reminded of (What I think was) an "I Love The 80's" episode where Frank and Kevin were saying how much This is Spinal Tap mirrored their lives while touring. And in this doc, poor Chuck Wright was basically treated as the exploding drummer(s).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.