DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Tell me about the Foo Fighters (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/515234-tell-me-about-foo-fighters.html)

mkdevo 02-19-08 08:54 AM

great show in worcester last night. my first time seeing them live, and i had a blast.

my only complaint was Everlong. dave did almost the whole thing solo - the band only joins for the last chorus. completely takes away everything i love about the song. it's too bad.

oh, and too much banter. the show was 2 hours long, but over 20 minutes of that was stage banter/encore break. wouldn't have minded hearing 2-3 more songs instead. oh well.

Code:

Foo Fighters
2008-02-18
DCU Center
Worcester, MA

----------------------------------------------------
01. Let It Die                              [04:48]
02. The Pretender                            [04:29]
03. Times Like These                        [04:42]
04. Breakout                                [06:39]
05. Learn To Fly                            [03:58]
06. Cheer Up, Boys (Your Make Up Is Running) [03:52]
07. This Is A Call                          [06:07]
08. Guitar Duel                              [01:44]
09. Stacked Actors*                          [10:28]
10. Skin And Bones**                        [05:31]
11. Marigold**                              [03:32]
12. My Hero**                                [04:43]

01. band intros                              [08:27]
02. Cold Day In The Sun**                    [03:26]
03. But, Honestly**                          [06:17]
04. Everlong^                                [05:00]
05. Monkey Wrench                            [07:47]
06. All My Life                              [04:15]
07. encore break                            [06:17]
08. Big Me intro                            [06:03]
09. Big Me                                  [02:50]
10. Long Road To Ruin                        [04:20]
11. Best Of You                              [05:16]
----------------------------------------------------

* with Drum Solo.
** acoustic, on alternate stage.
 ^ Dave solo until last chorus.

cdollaz 02-19-08 09:24 AM

Let It Die isn't much of an opener. In Your Honor was the perfect opener, especially they way they did it on th elast tour.

mdc3000 02-20-08 12:12 PM

I still can't believe that 'Stranger things have happened' isn't on the setlist...scratch 'But Honestly' and get Stranger in there before March 20 Foo's!!!!!

woofman 02-24-08 10:11 AM

Count me in as another person who thinks the Foos are hard to beat live. I just had one of the most exiciting moments in recent history happen to me when I scored excellent seats to their show at RED ROCKS in July!!!!!!!

I CAN'T FRIGGIN' WAIT!!!!!!

My friend and I visited the venue last year-actually right around this same time on what turned out to be our most incredible snowboarding excusion ever. On our way back to Denver the final day of the trip, we stopped at Red Rocks just to check out the place. My buddy even looked to me and said "One day we'll see the Foo Fighters here"... I just blew it off thinking it would never happen, but now it is, and I can't wait. I hope they film the show for a DVD, how cool would that be?

mndtrp 02-24-08 06:27 PM

I'll be going to the show too, Woofman. For free even...

C-Mart 02-25-08 01:32 PM

woofman that freakin' rocks! I would love to see a show at Red Rocks. I'm hoping U2 hits that venue on their next tour. I'm definately counting down the days to my show next week. March 5th at the Forum! I've seen Foos once before at the KROQ Weenie Roast, they completely rocked the place! Then stupid Motley Crue took the stage and just killed the entire party... because they SUCKED! I wish Foo had closed... but at least I got to see them. I would have left before Crue even came on, and I was begging my friend to leave after they started playing... but he wanted to hear it.

Anyway, I am greatly anticipating my first full Foo Fighters concert.

nodeerforamonth 02-25-08 09:09 PM

I saw them at Spaceland in Silverlake. Opening for Beck. Does anyone know if that was just their first LA show or first show ever?

woofman 02-26-08 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by mndtrp
I'll be going to the show too, Woofman. For free even...

Cool! How'd you pull that off? Should be quite a show!

What kills me is the Police are playing the very next week......If only I were rich....

mndtrp 02-26-08 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by woofman
Cool! How'd you pull that off? Should be quite a show!

What kills me is the Police are playing the very next week......If only I were rich....

Friends in good places...

spammied 03-03-08 06:36 PM

so....last nite was my first time at a foo fighters concert. They rocked the house!!! Every one of them was excellent. Taylor is an incredible drummer....how he can do those solos for so long is awesome! I encourage everyone to go...The first group out was Against Me...who was ok...could make out a couple of songs...but the next out was Serj Tankian, who sucked. Against Me was better than Serj. We couldnt make out a darn word he was saying...and it was way too loud. Could be that it wasnt my type of music. I woulda preferred other bands to these openers. But FF was SOOOO worth it.
I like to collect concert tshirts, and of course keep the tickets, and get the concert book/guide..but there was no book/guide. I was sad by that.... ;o( Awesome friggen concert though...makes me look forward to the dvd when (if ) that comes out. Anybody know if they put out a concert dvd after each tour? Anyone know why there wasnt a concert book available? Thanks. Great show!!!

Chrisedge 03-04-08 01:48 PM

Foo Fighters
March 03, 2008
San Diego, CA
COX Arena

Disc One:

01. Let It Die
02. The Pretender
03. Times Like These
04. Breakout
05. Learn To Fly
06. Cheer Up Boys, Your Make Up Is Running
07. This Is A Call
08. Stacked Actors
09. Skin And Bones
10. Marigold
11. My Hero

Disc Two:

01. Band Intros
02. Cold Day In The Sun
03. But, Honestly
04. Everlong
05. Monkey Wrench
06. All My Life
07. Big Me Intro
08. Big Me
09. Long Road To Ruin
10. Best Of Me

nodeerforamonth 03-04-08 08:19 PM

Shit, they played San Diego last night?!??!? I blew it... oh well. Shows how out of the loop I am for live shows. I got too many shows to go to on "school" nights anyway this month (Dolls & Ace).

C-Mart 03-06-08 12:56 PM

Foo's rocked the Great Western Forum last night (3/5/08)! I agree with the post abouve regarding Against Me and Serj. I could have done without either of them. Foo Fighters however were spectacular... and Dave was right - "Anyone who has to work tomorrow is FUCKED!" I'm so freaking tired right now. They got a bit slow towards the end of the acoustic set, but then they came back with the full sound system behind them in a big way and finished off the 4-song encore with some amazing energy.

I've seen Foo at festival type shows, but this was my first time seeing them headline, and it was definately in my top 5 favorite shows of all time.

They are playing the Forum again tonight, but I believe they are completely sold out, as they were last night.

Dash 03-07-08 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by C-Mart
Foo's rocked the Great Western Forum last night (3/5/08)! I agree with the post abouve regarding Against Me and Serj. I could have done without either of them. Foo Fighters however were spectacular... and Dave was right - "Anyone who has to work tomorrow is FUCKED!" I'm so freaking tired right now. They got a bit slow towards the end of the acoustic set, but then they came back with the full sound system behind them in a big way and finished off the 4-song encore with some amazing energy.

I've seen Foo at festival type shows, but this was my first time seeing them headline, and it was definately in my top 5 favorite shows of all time.

They are playing the Forum again tonight, but I believe they are completely sold out, as they were last night.

I Got back from the concert at the Forum last night (3-6-08) and it rocked. I must say, they are a great live band. They played for over 2 hours and even had a special guest in the 5-song encore. The lead singer from motorhead came out of nowhere and sang a song. As for Against Me, I thought they were great and wished they had a little more stage time.

I highly recommend seeing them in concert if at all possible.

juanmgonzalez 03-07-08 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Dashed
As for Rise Against, I thought they were great and wished they had a little more stage time.

Amazing how Against Me changed their name to Rise Against just for this tour.... :)

Some dude behind me during the 3/5 concert also made the same mistake by naming the first band as Rise Against - I had to correct them.

Dr Mabuse 03-07-08 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by The_Infidel
Someone needs to tell Mr. Erlewine to get his information straight. "Foo fighters" were the actual objects pilots were seeing, not some "secret force" that looked into them. Sheesh.

yep... 'Foo Fighters' were UFO type craft that flew along with WW2 pilots in fighters and bombers...

both German and US pilots, a lot of them, saw these brightly colored lights/crafts ... they would fly within feet of nose and tail and ball turret gunners... they would fly in formations and take on many bright colors... officers would brief pilots going on a raid, details of the mission and etc., and tell them is there were "Foo's up there tonight"...

the term "foo" came from a popular comic strip of the times called 'Smoky Stover'... 'Smoky Stover' was a firefighter who periodically experienced various funny adventures... the artist, Bill Holman, liked to print the word "foo" hundreds of times in every unlikely place on his drawings...

Dash 03-07-08 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by juanmgonzalez
Amazing how Against Me changed their name to Rise Against just for this tour.... :)

Some dude behind me during the 3/5 concert also made the same mistake by naming the first band as Rise Against - I had to correct them.

Totally correct. I always use the two bands interchangeably. My roomate loves Against me and has seen them 7-8x live. And we listened to their cd on the way up...

das Monkey 03-07-08 10:08 PM

May as well post this classic performance:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/juCQ1BteSW4"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/juCQ1BteSW4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

das

foofighters7 03-08-08 12:12 AM

I remember watching that live. Great stuff!

I love the fact he only did the song so he could play the final verses. They only did the begining of the song just cause they couldnt start up with "And as we wind on down the road"

Hilarious, great stuff.

nodeerforamonth 03-08-08 10:18 AM

Would've been funnier if he did the lyrics to Gilligan's Island in that song. I've seen acoustic bands do it before. Fits perfectly.

mndtrp 03-08-08 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Dashed
I Got back from the concert at the Forum last night (3-6-08) and it rocked. I must say, they are a great live band. They played for over 2 hours and even had a special guest in the 5-song encore. The lead singer from motorhead came out of nowhere and sang a song. As for Against Me, I thought they were great and wished they had a little more stage time.

I highly recommend seeing them in concert if at all possible.

Lemmy?

Damn, that's cool.

mdc3000 03-25-08 05:23 PM

I saw Against Me! and The Foo's twice over the weekend - AWESOME. Both shows were great. Against Me put on a solid set and played most of 'New Wave' and about 4-5 old songs too... it was great... then Foo's rocked the shit out of the place. Same setlist both nights (wish they'd change it up a bit!) but it was great... and at the Toronto show fucking RUSH showed up to play YYZ with Taylor! (minus neil pertt).. It was wicked!!!!

http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/6...1732pu0.th.jpg

It was cool to see how giddy the Foo's were that Rush was there. Dave was rocking out while they played YYZ and was like a kid in a candy store - they were just super excited. A guy at the foo board posted some youtube clips of it (a lot of focus away from Rush and more on Dave/Chris in the second one):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4K4wHeYv8A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJ7hQxIHwB0

hippie68 03-26-08 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by mdc3000
I saw Against Me! and The Foo's twice over the weekend - AWESOME. Both shows were great. Against Me put on a solid set and played most of 'New Wave' and about 4-5 old songs too... it was great... then Foo's rocked the shit out of the place. Same setlist both nights (wish they'd change it up a bit!) but it was great... and at the Toronto show fucking RUSH showed up to play YYZ with Taylor! (minus neil pertt).. It was wicked!!!!

http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/6...1732pu0.th.jpg

It was cool to see how giddy the Foo's were that Rush was there. Dave was rocking out while they played YYZ and was like a kid in a candy store - they were just super excited. A guy at the foo board posted some youtube clips of it (a lot of focus away from Rush and more on Dave/Chris in the second one):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4K4wHeYv8A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJ7hQxIHwB0

Thanks for the clips. Gotta love Dave!! "Thank you, goodnight!"