DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Tell me about the Foo Fighters (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/515234-tell-me-about-foo-fighters.html)

Chrisedge 11-07-07 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by dick_grayson
It's the place where he has his studio and records most of their albums. I would just like a tour of it, before he moves out.

Well the new Spin has an article about his home in Los Angeles, and how he can see his studio from his house...And he mentions how LA is his home now on the Skin and Bones DVD...

He must have bailed completely on VA

foofighters7 11-07-07 10:45 PM

hes still talkin bout VA in his songs, so perhaps VA is his mental muse, or maybe he doesnt want to live there anymore, rather, simply lust after it from afar.

VA Moon on IYH
Summers End on ESPG

the action 11-08-07 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by foofighters7
The Title Track to 'The Colour and the Shape' is freaking great, one of their best b-sides. Its true, they have alot of great b-sides. A320 is probably my fav non album song, but there are so many. FFL, Normal, Walking A Line, all great.

The Colour and the Shape is a great track one of my favorites.

hippie68 11-15-07 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by foofighters7
hippie68

awesome! glad you dig it!

If you get a chance, post your thoughts on IYH as well, im interested to know what you think.

ff7

So now i've pretty much worn out this cd also. I don't even think I've been listening to anyone else for the last month. They are now officially my second favorite band, first being Incubus.

I really like "In Your Honor". Love the title track, also really like "No Way Back", "DOA" and my favorite is "Miracle" Absolutely beautiful.

Can't wait to see these guys live. Really looking forward to it.

What cd do you suggest I get next?
Edited to add just purchased "Skin and Bones"

Big Boy Laroux 11-15-07 02:18 PM

Skin and Bones could be one of my favorite CDs EVER, let alone by the Foo.

hippie68 11-17-07 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
Skin and Bones could be one of my favorite CDs EVER, let alone by the Foo.

Wow. These guys are amazing. I love acoustic so I am really loving this cd. Does anyone know where this was recorded?

mndtrp 11-18-07 02:55 AM

If you're into live music, they put on a great show.

foofighters7 11-19-07 03:33 PM

I believe they recorded it in L.A. over 2 days , I cant remember where right off. The whole show is on dvd as well. You should check it out, they play several more not on the cd, and you get to hear some stories. Great dvd of a show. Also have another dvd out of a live show from..Toronto? I think. Its really good too.

ff7

Chrisedge 11-19-07 03:38 PM

It was recorded Aug 29 & 30 2006 and maybe the final night (31st or Sept 1). The DVD adds 5 more songs to the concert than the CD.

I was there on the 29th and it was one of the best concerts I've ever been to. (300+ concerts) And a lot better than their "rock" shows. (I think Dave screams too much at the rock shows)

Hixx 11-20-07 12:46 PM

I only have the first album but when it came out I used to rock it all the time. It's really impressive considering he played every instrument on every track except for Greg Dulli's guitar on one song.

Although I'm not that into them, I do think it's cool that there is still a straight ahead rock band making music that people of all ages/lifestyles can get into. At this point it's almost like they are the only unadulterated rock band left, Green Day are the only others that I can think of that fit this bill. If I had a kid I would be stoked if the Foo was his or her favorite band.

The Gondrey directed video for Everlong is brilliant too.

DVD Josh 11-20-07 12:56 PM

Hixx, not only that, but he recorded the drum parts FIRST. I cannot imagine the musical ability necessary to record drums into nothingness.

superdeluxe 11-20-07 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by hippie68
My husband got me listening to their newest cd and I love it.
Are all their cd's this good?
I am thinking about listening to them.

Their earlier work is much better.

nodeerforamonth 11-20-07 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Hixx
At this point it's almost like they are the only unadulterated rock band left, Green Day are the only others that I can think of that fit this bill.

You should have said the "only MAINSTREAM unadulterated rock band left..."

There are literally HUNDREDS, if not thousands of pure "unadulterated rock bands" that are of great quality. You just have to do the work to find them. And just because they're not "popular", doesn't mean they're not good. Remember, even Green Day, Van Halen, and yes, to some extent, the Foo Fighters started out in the clubs playing in front of dozens of people (I saw what I think was their first show ever at Spaceland, opening up for Possum Dixon and Beck).

Check out the Wildhearts, Hellacopters, Backyard Babies, and Supersuckers for bands that are pure rock. That's for starters. There's a whole world out there...

Hixx 11-20-07 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
You should have said the "only MAINSTREAM unadulterated rock band left..."

There are literally HUNDREDS, if not thousands of pure "unadulterated rock bands" that are of great quality. You just have to do the work to find them. And just because they're not "popular", doesn't mean they're not good. Remember, even Green Day, Van Halen, and yes, to some extent, the Foo Fighters started out in the clubs playing in front of dozens of people (I saw what I think was their first show ever at Spaceland, opening up for Possum Dixon and Beck).

Check out the Wildhearts, Hellacopters, Backyard Babies, and Supersuckers for bands that are pure rock. That's for starters. There's a whole world out there...

Not familiar with Wildhearts or Backyard Babies, but Supersuckers mix quite a bit of country with their rock and Hellacopters are more on the punk tip than the Foo, or even Green Day which clearly aren't punk anymore if they ever were.

Sure bands like Turbonegro or the late great Guitar Wolf do in fact rock, but I don't consider them straight up because they mix up more genres and/or weirdness in their music which is exactly why they aren't mainstream bands like Foo Fighters.

hippie68 12-01-07 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by mndtrp
If you're into live music, they put on a great show.

Great, I just got tickets today for their tour.
Can't wait!!!!!

nodeerforamonth 12-02-07 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Hixx
Not familiar with Wildhearts or Backyard Babies, but Supersuckers mix quite a bit of country with their rock and Hellacopters are more on the punk tip than the Foo, or even Green Day which clearly aren't punk anymore if they ever were.

But by that logic, the Foo Fighters aren't an "unadulterated rock band" because half their songs are mellow, acoustic, or ballads!

hippie68 01-18-08 09:08 AM

After three months of pretty much listening to them nonstop I finally was able to attend my first Foo show. And holy crap, it was amazing. Dave was wasted as always but still managed to sound great. The set list was fantastic and i was happy that I knew all the songs. I don't think I've ever been to a show with that much energy. "it's times like these" I wish I didn't have to work so I could see them on other dates. This show will stay with me for a long time.

mdc3000 01-18-08 09:14 AM

^Excellent to hear! I knew they wouldn't disappoint (haven't let me down yet!) I'm seeing them on March 20 and 22... I can't wait!

foofighters7 01-18-08 01:10 PM

The Foos always give a great show. Ive been to many of their shows and never have been disapointed at all.

Was trying to go on the 26th of Jan to the Nashville show, but it fell thru. :(

I hope they add a few more shows up my way.

Demontooth 01-18-08 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Their earlier work is much better.

Is there ANY band this doesn't apply to?

auto 01-18-08 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Demontooth
Is there ANY band this doesn't apply to?

Yes, far too many to list here.

hippie68 01-19-08 10:39 AM

Just found out about "Pinkpop" festival in the Netherlands at the end of May. We are actually planning a trip to Amsterdam at that time so we may check it out. Headlining right now are the Foo's, Metallica and Rage against the machine.

nodeerforamonth 01-19-08 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by hippie68
Dave was wasted as always but still managed to sound great.

?!??!? As far as I know, Dave hardly ever gets wasted! Certainly not before a show!!!

hippie68 01-19-08 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
?!??!? As far as I know, Dave hardly ever gets wasted! Certainly not before a show!!!

I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic, but I read an interview in Maxim magazine that he hasn't done a show sober in fifteen years.

islandclaws 01-19-08 03:05 PM

Funny story: Taylor Hawkins used to work at the Music House in SoCal when I was a guitar student there. We used to talk all the time when I had lessons and he'd play me demo tapes from the bands he was in. He was always super cool and gave me some old demos once, though I doubt I could find them now. He also used to give my brother impromptu drum lessons since that was his thing. Then I found out he got a gig playing with Alanis Morrisette and, shortly after, found his way into the Foos. I ran into him a couple years back at Taco Loco in Laguna Beach and he (vaguely) remembered me. Still a really cool guy, he talked with me and my gf for a bit. I always smile when I see his picture plastered all over the place now.