Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

KISSology: Vol. 3 details revealed

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

KISSology: Vol. 3 details revealed

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-07, 11:32 PM
Premium Member

Received 698 Likes on 466 Posts
Originally Posted by Brooklyn
Watched Disc 1 tonite. Gotta say, absolutely horrible mixing on the Detroit Palace show.
All drums, somewhat weak guitars and barely recognizable vocals.

Anyone notice the mic stand catch fire at the beginning of (I believe it was) Heaven's On Fire?
I thought the 5.1 sounded pretty decent, is that how you were listening?
Old 12-22-07, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The Cow
I thought the 5.1 sounded pretty decent, is that how you were listening?
I just ran it through the tv speakers, but even still it was extremely inconsistent
with anything on the rest of the set or anything I've listened to/watched on the
other two. If I didn't already know the songs I would have had a hard time
understanding Paul's vocals. My wife was completely lost in that regard.

edited to add;
I'm an idiot, I didn't notice that it defaulted to 5.1 (it auto-started) when I
should have had it set to 2.0 since the tv I played it on wasn't hooked to a
surround sound. Setting it up this way boosted the vocals.

Weird that only this show seemed affected by this, the other stuff on the
set (as mentioned above) sounds fine either way. Thanks for the clue,
I needed it

Last edited by Brooklyn; 12-22-07 at 12:16 AM.
Old 12-22-07, 12:53 AM
Premium Member

Received 698 Likes on 466 Posts
Originally Posted by Brooklyn
Weird that only this show seemed affected by this, the other stuff on the
set (as mentioned above) sounds fine either way. Thanks for the clue,
I needed it
All good

On the side:
Disc 4 gave me a weird feeling. The '73 club tour. I've seen bits from this before, and of course the video and audio are old (although the audio was way better than I expected), but from all the club shows of other bands I have seen and just trying to think what it was like sitting in a club 34 years ago and seeing that. All of those songs still hold up.
Old 12-22-07, 12:18 PM

I watched disc 1 last night & was also extremely disappointed in the sound mix... we've all seen a lot of that show before on Konfidential as well as heard it on Alive 3 so we know it shouldn't sound like that... couldn't make out most of the vocals... I wonder what they were thinking...
Old 12-22-07, 12:18 PM

Don't know if this has been posted already, but I heard on SIRIUS radio that "Easter Eggs" have already been found for this collection.

Applies to discs 1 - 3:
- Insert disc and go to the main menu
- Press 'Up' on the remote control and the word "KISSOLOGY" will be highlighted
- Press 'Enter' on the remote control
Disc 1 Easter Egg: Carnival of Souls Recording Session
Disc 2 Easter Egg: VMA Sound Check
Disc 3 Easter Egg: Millennium Concert (5 min.)
Old 12-22-07, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by EvlAsh
Disc 3 Easter Egg: Millennium Concert (5 min.)
Bastards. Should have put the whole show on there.
Old 12-22-07, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts
While this is being listed as the "Final Volume," of the KISSOLOGY series, Gene has repeatedly said that there will be TEN volumes.

I wonder if future volumes will feature the complete uncut shows? 2 complete concerts per set at a lower price? It would make sense - KISS knows how to get people to double-dip.

Who knows?

I love this set, but it isn't without flaws. I would have picked some different shows (changed out Tiger Stadium for a better shot concert from later in the tour and used the Tiger Stadium show as a bonus disc, and I would have included a Japanese show from 1995 on the set). Still, this is another case of what's on the disc is really cool.
Old 12-22-07, 07:59 PM

Yeah, I found the Revenge show a bit lacking too. For me, even in 2.0 mode, the vocals were a bit undermixed. During Domino, you can barely hear Gene when he's doing the sort of semi talking vocals during the verses, but when he'd belt out the chorus, suddenly it was like someone turned his mic up on. And on Detroit Rock City, you can't really hear him during the first couple choruses, but you can hear him just fine during the third chorus.

If this is one of the shows they recorded for Kiss Alive III, than there should be multi-track tapes, and therefore, they should be able to do a good remix, which apparently didn't happen here.

Although I'm opposed to the whole thing of Singer and Thayer wearing and Peter and Ace's makeup, I kinda wish they had included one of the shows from the overseas part of the Farewell tour, when Ace was still in the band, but Singer had taken over the drums, as I understand they really shook up the setlist and brought back a lot of stuff that Peter supposedly couldn't play anymore.
Old 12-22-07, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just got done watching the bonus MSG show. Great stuff! The sound was amazing too. I may have to burn that to a CDR to crank up in the car.
Old 12-22-07, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just got a replacement set with a Disc 2 - and I was SHOCKED at just how sloppy and choppy the Tiger Stadium gig was. OUCH!! What a difference 4 years (and 2 band members) makes. From the brilliant performance at The Palace in 1992 with Bruce and Eric playing solid as a rock with some style and flair added, to the really sloppy performance at Tiger Stadium in 1996 (example - watch Peter hesistate to start his quarter note flam beats near the end of "Deuce," throwing everyone off) it just reminded me of why I never wanted the Reunion to happen in the first place.

On the other hand... Their performance at the Brooklyn Bridge was spot on! Now THAT is the kind of performance the original line-up can hang their hats on. Tight (for those guys), powerful, energetic - hell, PETER was rip roaring and playing with some decent tempos!

I'd say that they should have left the Tiger Stadium gig as a bonus disc and used a different Reunion Tour show for the main set (from later in the tour when they got all the kinks & bugs worked out, and when the band was tighter).

The Dodger Stadium gig was also significantly better than the Tiger Stadium gig (I'm glad I was there on Halloween). Better set list, better performances, better stage show - and filmed/taped better!

I still love the KISSOLOGY 3, but I would have put it together MUCH differently than Gene, Paul, and Alex Colletti did.

Last edited by B5Erik; 12-23-07 at 10:20 AM.
Old 12-23-07, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My favorite easter egg:

I just wish they had included MORE of that, "Behind the scenes/Making Of COS," footage. (I LOVE the unused harmony vocal part for "Rain." I wish I could remix that album - I wonder what else wasn't included in the final mix...)
Old 12-25-07, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by B5Erik
My favorite easter egg:

I just wish they had included MORE of that, "Behind the scenes/Making Of COS," footage. (I LOVE the unused harmony vocal part for "Rain." I wish I could remix that album - I wonder what else wasn't included in the final mix...)
Mine was the VMA warmup's at the Brooklyn bridge, just seeing the twin towers in all there glory again was enough for me.