Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

I Bet You Didn't Know Keith Urban Could Play Guitar Like This

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

I Bet You Didn't Know Keith Urban Could Play Guitar Like This

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-07, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
Okay then, and keep in mind, I'm not even into country music, but here are just a few country guys that I think can play circles around most metal guys - and if their names mean anything to you, I'll be surprised.
Old 09-19-07, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by slop101
Okay then, and keep in mind, I'm not even into country music, but here are just a few country guys that I think can play circles around most metal guys - and if their names mean anything to you, I'll be surprised.
Listened to it and you can color me unimpressed. I'm a terrible Nashville Picker but other than that, a few of those lines seemed very playable for me if you gave me some sheet music. Some of the snippets were interesting and even enjoyable and maybe some of the best country guitar work I've ever heard, but never once did I think "Wow, that's amazing/ impressive/something I've never heard before" which is often the type of feeling I'll get when listening to Metal guitarists and classical musicians.

Country Music isn't the kind of music that embraces virtuosity as it doesn't really make sense in that kind of setting. That's not a slam, it just puts it on the same shelf with Rock and Pop music.
Old 09-19-07, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mordred
Country Music isn't the kind of music that embraces virtuosity as it doesn't really make sense in that kind of setting. That's not a slam, it just puts it on the same shelf with Rock and Pop music.
I agree there, but take a look at some blue-grass guitar/dobro players and there's just as much virtuosity there as anything else. I'm just saying that a majority of the veteran musicians of country music are as good, if not better, than a majority of metal players - especially in the light of the comment that country musicians use their guitars as props, which is what started this argument.
Old 09-19-07, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Sure I could, but why bother when they would mean nothing to you, due to your ignorance?
In furthering how ridiculous this comment was as directed at me (if possible) is the fact that I've actually named two country pickers I think are phenomenal, Urban and Paisley.

The only thing "ignorant" here is your response, quite frankly.
Old 09-19-07, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, I didn't really mean to call you "ignorant", it's just that forum rules preclude me from using the word I really meant...
Old 09-19-07, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, I didn't really mean to call you "ignorant", it's just that forum rules preclude me from using the word I really meant...
What a coincidence. I too suffer from the same limitation.
Old 09-19-07, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
I agree there, but take a look at some blue-grass guitar/dobro players and there's just as much virtuosity there as anything else. I'm just saying that a majority of the veteran musicians of country music are as good, if not better, than a majority of metal players - especially in the light of the comment that country musicians use their guitars as props, which is what started this argument.
But we're not talking about session players and bluegrass musicians. Keith Urban is one of these overhyped "superstars" who play watered down, generic semi-pop country music that infests country radio. The reason noone knew he could play like that is the record companies and the radio stations don't want him to play like that, because it upsets the status quo for the rest of their "artists".

I'm glad he can play. I wish he would find it more satisfying to play southern rock or to bring some real life to country music rather than just making more generic crap, but the money and the audience just isn't there for that.
Old 09-19-07, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Two other great country players: Steuart Smith (Eagles) and Brent Mason (session, he has some great licks)
Old 09-19-07, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jason
But we're not talking about session players and bluegrass musicians.
We're not? Okay, then you're absolutely right - the main singers and the headlining guys, for the most part, aren't much to write home about, but there are some deceptively talented folks in there. I was talking about country musicians in general, including (and especially) blue-grass.
Old 09-20-07, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
If you've never heard guys like Albert Lee, Dan Huff, or James Burton, you really don't know what you're missing. These guys can all shred, but also play with amazing style.

James Burton is "old school" who played with Ricky Nelson - you may have also seen him more recently in Roy Orbison's "Black and White Night" PBS special.

Dan Huff played hard rock with Giant, but is most know for being a Nashville guitarist and producet.

Albert Lee toured with Eric Clapton for years. You can hear him trading licks with EC on their classic live recording of "Double Trouble". He also toured with the Everly Brothers on their reunions tours of the 80s and 90s. Some of his best stuff is on an album called 'Speechless' from the 80's, which is all guitar instrumental stuff.
Old 09-20-07, 06:26 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't forget Junior Brown, who's an awesome player.

But metal players are still, overall, much more talented. I've done both (quite well, too); the metal is much more demanding.
Old 09-21-07, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by zombiezilla
Don't forget Junior Brown, who's an awesome player.

But metal players are still, overall, much more talented. I've done both (quite well, too); the metal is much more demanding.
I saw JB before anyone knew about him, or thought he was some weirdo with a shitty frankenguitar. Blew me away he was so good.
Old 09-22-07, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,132 Posts
Junior Brown is very talented.