Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Most frustrating band to be a fan of?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Most frustrating band to be a fan of?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-07, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts
Ozzy Osbourne

Sharon is the queen bitch from hell and is pure evil. She screwed Bob Daisley and Lee Kerslake out of money, songwriting credits, and jobs within the band. They helped Randy Rhoads write and produce the first two Ozzy albums. Ozzy had much less input than those guys, but rather than thanking them properly Sharon fired them, failed to pay them what she owed them, and then gave credit for their work on Diary of a Madman to Rudy Sarzo and Tommy Aldridge.

Finally, when they persisted in getting paid and having their proper credits on the albums in question Sharon had Ozzy's current musicians re-record the bass and drums for those albums and forever altered (and screwed up) two classic albums.

Ozzy, of course, is his own worst enemy. He's been a broken down old man for the last 10 years, and before that he was just an addle-brained, drunk, stoned, rock star with a low I.Q. The only things he had going for him were an honest enthusiasm for performing (and he really seemed to care about giving his fans a good show), and a unique voice.

And yet he has put out several absolute classic albums - thanks to the talents of those around him.
Old 08-27-07, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Aerosmith
Rolling Stones
KISS

When are they going to release another Live or Greatest Hits CD??? It has been awhile.
Old 08-27-07, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Miles Davis 'classic' quintet. They had disbanded before I was even born.
Old 08-27-07, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by cactusoly
I always laugh at Oasis fans.

Frustration for me its Ozzy, he is a shell of his former self.

I just went to Ozzfest and he played the exact same songs he plays every single time.
typical Ozzy setlist...
- Half of the Blizzard of Oz album, always playing Crazy Train
- 1/3 of the No More Tears album
- Bark at the Moon
- 1 or 2 Sabbath songs, always playing Paraniod
- 2 songs from the latest album

He never plays anything from his best album Diary of A Madman (I would shit myself if he played the title track, You Cant Kill Rock N Roll or Over The Mountain)
He could also play a bunch of great songs from Ultimate Sin
I would even like it if he played stuff from his crappier albums.

Just play something other than the same old tired setlist.
Totally with you on this, same o same o shit does get tiring, would absolutely love to here "you can't kill rock n roll" live "has it ever been played live"??? and secondly would definataly love to here more off of my personal favorite ozzy album "the ultimate sin" and my second favorite album "bark at the moon" big jake e. lee fan, and on the black sabbath songs "paranoid" is so overplayed i immediately turn the station when i here it on the radio, love the sabbath stuff but damn find some new songs to play.
Old 08-27-07, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'll add Savatage / Trans-Siberian Orchestra to the list.

Savatage loses their primary singer just before recording a new album. They complete it with their original singer (now their keyboardist / back-up singer), hire a new singer and hit the road. The new guy is PHENOMENAL, and fans clamor for a new CD featuring him. That was back in 2001. Since then, we keep getting jerked around as the rest of the band goofs around with their side projects as well as Trans-Siberian Orchestra. The band's website is never updated, and questions about it are met with a reply that the administrator is having a lot of "personal problems." If I had someone working for me that had "personal problems" for that long, I would fire them or at least get someone else to take over while they get their shit sorted out.

Trans-Siberian Orchestra - They recorded a great non-Christmas CD, Beethovan's Last Night, but they rarely play anything off it in concert as they're always playing the Christmas material. They claim to have plans for several more albums, both Christmas and regular, but the latest one always gets delayed (Night Castle is supposedly on track for October of this year, we'll see if it happens).
Old 08-27-07, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Boston - - Too many years in between albums, now that we no longer have brad delp to sing on a new album would love something new from boston with fran cosmo on vocals, always enjoy "Walk On" when i spin it.
Old 08-27-07, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,130 Posts
Originally Posted by bigjim25
KISS

When are they going to release another Live or Greatest Hits CD??? It has been awhile.
Dude! Don't get me started!!!
Old 08-28-07, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by MovieExchange
I'll add Savatage / Trans-Siberian Orchestra to the list.

Savatage loses their primary singer just before recording a new album. They complete it with their original singer (now their keyboardist / back-up singer), hire a new singer and hit the road. The new guy is PHENOMENAL, and fans clamor for a new CD featuring him. That was back in 2001. Since then, we keep getting jerked around as the rest of the band goofs around with their side projects as well as Trans-Siberian Orchestra. The band's website is never updated, and questions about it are met with a reply that the administrator is having a lot of "personal problems." If I had someone working for me that had "personal problems" for that long, I would fire them or at least get someone else to take over while they get their shit sorted out.

Trans-Siberian Orchestra - They recorded a great non-Christmas CD, Beethovan's Last Night, but they rarely play anything off it in concert as they're always playing the Christmas material. They claim to have plans for several more albums, both Christmas and regular, but the latest one always gets delayed (Night Castle is supposedly on track for October of this year, we'll see if it happens).
It's frustrating as a fan of metal and progressive rock that TSO can sell out two arena performances per city playing the exact same show every year while Savatage (if they even bothered to tour) would have trouble booking a decent sized nightclub. I always feel bad for the dude wearing the faded "Wake of Magellan" t-shirt at TSO. The grandmas and grandpas always look at him like he's the one who's out of place at the show.

I'd love to see TSO do a summer tour with non-Christmas material, but I imagine too many people have told them that they would never sell enough tickets to make it worthwhile.
Old 08-28-07, 02:53 PM

All great responses so far but for me Weezer & Foo Fighters are the first two that came to mind. Weezer because their post Pinkerton output has ranged from blah to terrible. Every time I listen to the blue album or Pinkerton I can't help but think what a shell of their former selves they've become. As for Foo Fighters it's more of a case of lofty expectations. They don't do anything bad but I keep waiting for something great which I don't think they've achieved yet. Every album there's a handful of songs that exemplify what I think they should be playing and the rest of the album is just kinda there. I keep waiting (probably in vein) for that album that's a homerun from start to finish.
Old 08-28-07, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jason
It's frustrating as a fan of metal and progressive rock that TSO can sell out two arena performances per city playing the exact same show every year while Savatage (if they even bothered to tour) would have trouble booking a decent sized nightclub. I always feel bad for the dude wearing the faded "Wake of Magellan" t-shirt at TSO. The grandmas and grandpas always look at him like he's the one who's out of place at the show.

I'd love to see TSO do a summer tour with non-Christmas material, but I imagine too many people have told them that they would never sell enough tickets to make it worthwhile.
Yeah, I did some poking around after making that post, and apparently Jon Oliva is done with Savatage, saying that it just costs too much money to keep the band going, while TSO is an absolute goldmine.

I saw TSO's last tour before they split off into two touring companies, and I don't know how many times I explained to elderly people about how the group was an offshoot of a prog metal band (I just said heavy metal, as none of them would know what prog metal was).
Old 08-28-07, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
I know it says "No name-only answers will be accepted.", but I only have time for a name.

Prince.

Prince fans will know the reasons, but i'll come back and state them later.
Old 08-28-07, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 129 Posts
Believe it or not - The White Stripes

My biggest gripes have to be "They are a shame to music" "They have no talent" - I'll just never understand where people get this shit from - as a fan, I am very open minded but I just don't understand those types of comments.
Old 08-28-07, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by mparysz
I keep waiting (probably in vein) for that album that's a homerun from start to finish.
So you're willing to become a drug addict so that they may hear your plea?
Old 08-28-07, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Rogue588
I know it says "No name-only answers will be accepted.", but I only have time for a name.

Prince.

Prince fans will know the reasons, but i'll come back and state them later.
Hey, I'll back that one up. He's a complete flake. Not only that, but I recall reading the horror stories (I think written by you) on here about his pathetic fan club.