DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Most frustrating band to be a fan of? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/510245-most-frustrating-band-fan.html)

DrRingDing 08-27-07 07:23 AM

Most frustrating band to be a fan of?

My vote goes to Radiohead.

Their output is limited, taking years (almost half a decade now for their next) to put out new albums. Their tours never seem to come near me.

Also, by liking them, it gives one an elitist sheen which is either deserved or undeserved. It seems that by simply stating that you like their post-OK Computer output, you get lumped into a crowd of snobby one-uppers, even if you aren't one yourself.

That is to say that people seem to pass judgment more quickly against Radiohead worshippers like myself.

And then again, other people (not myself), find their recent output to be mediocre at best, which would definitely be frustrating.

But this thread is not intended to be about only Radiohead. This is just my description of WHY I feel that they are the most frustrating band to be a fan of.

What are your choices for the most frustrating band <b>and why</b>? No name-only answers will be accepted.

Giles 08-27-07 08:49 AM

I used to annoyed at being a London Suede fan cause they publicily stated they never cared about exposure or touring the states. now... it's a mute point.

DamingR 08-27-07 08:56 AM

Radiohead is the obvious answer. I find being a smashing pumpkins fan to be pretty difficult, too. They do tons of cool stuff (open taping, club venues) and offset it with really annoying stuff (unreleased DVDs, pretentious attitude, no fan club). Plus, many people hate them and think you're crazy if you like them.

TGM 08-27-07 09:12 AM

Pink Floyd... talk about rests between NEW CONTENT albums.

Toad 08-27-07 09:22 AM

Counting Crows. Too long between albums. Shitty concerts.

Giles 08-27-07 09:37 AM

Oasis too - Liam and Noel's banter of almost everything is sooo self centered and elitist. They've also never released any of their videos (not the live performances) on home video.

Giantrobo 08-27-07 09:37 AM

KISS

1. Most either hate them or think they're a joke so when you say you're a fan you get, "KISS? But they SUCUUUCK?!" They don't even hold back.

2. Music wise they've been "ok" for years. They were even,"pretty decent" during the 90's. But they haven't been really "great" since 1976. :(

3. Gene Simmons. Don't get me wrong, I love Gene the "Character". But he often makes KISS look like nothing but a sell out marketing cash cow that sells regawd-dam-dikulous products like KISS KONDOMZ. -ohbfrank-

Damed 08-27-07 09:41 AM

I could see how being a Guns N Roses fan would be frustrating.

The oft hyped but never released album, canceled tours, etc etc.

cungar 08-27-07 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Giles
Oasis too - Liam and Noel's banter of almost everything is sooo self centered and elitist. They've also never released any of their videos (not the live performances) on home video.

I love the Gallagher brother's interviews. They're full of themselves but they're also funnier than hell.

Holysmoker 08-27-07 10:13 AM

Van Halen. They have had me frustrated since '96 with their constant self-sabotage regarding reunions and singer changes. Now with Eddie replacing Mikey with his son, what could have been a bit of redemption in my eyes has been tarnished instead. But I still love listening to their music.

Giles 08-27-07 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by cungar
I love the Gallagher brother's interviews. They're full of themselves but they're also funnier than hell.

that's true... I guess with alot of bands trying to one up each other in the UK, the banter and hostility can get quite amusing

Nicky Wire from Manic Street Preachers says alot of stuff just to piss off other bands. He most recent comment was that he thought Snow Patrol was Britan's most hated bands.

paulringodaman 08-27-07 10:35 AM

As someone said, Oasis, and someone else, Kiss. The first is self-centered and egotistical , and so is the second, but people laugh at you if you say you are a fan.

wendersfan 08-27-07 10:50 AM

You guys talk about how hard it is to see Radiohead or Oasis; I've seen both bands and didn't have to travel far for either. The Manics on the other hand, they'll play Cuba, but the US? Now <i>that's</i> frustrating.

starseed1981 08-27-07 10:50 AM

Smashing Pumpkins. Or Tool.

DaveWadding 08-27-07 11:22 AM

the Eagles. $150 concert tickets for a grand total of 8 new songs since 1979. Plus Henley is a pretentious dick.

I guess with the new album coming out most of this is moot, however.

Giles 08-27-07 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by wendersfan
You guys talk about how hard it is to see Radiohead or Oasis; I've seen both bands and didn't have to travel far for either. The Manics on the other hand, they'll play Cuba, but the US? Now <i>that's</i> frustrating.

word

cactusoly 08-27-07 11:46 AM

I always laugh at Oasis fans.

Frustration for me its Ozzy, he is a shell of his former self.

I just went to Ozzfest and he played the exact same songs he plays every single time.
typical Ozzy setlist...
- Half of the Blizzard of Oz album, always playing Crazy Train
- 1/3 of the No More Tears album
- Bark at the Moon
- 1 or 2 Sabbath songs, always playing Paraniod
- 2 songs from the latest album

He never plays anything from his best album Diary of A Madman (I would shit myself if he played the title track, You Cant Kill Rock N Roll or Over The Mountain)
He could also play a bunch of great songs from Ultimate Sin
I would even like it if he played stuff from his crappier albums.

Just play something other than the same old tired setlist.

nodeerforamonth 08-27-07 01:41 PM

KISS for the same reasons Giantrobo said.

Goo Goo Dolls. They're just seen as a "ballad" band for 12 year old girls now and before that were seen as a Replacements "ripoff" (even though they didn't sound too much like the Replacements at all), but they used to be an incredible pop/punk fun band that had some amazing live shows.

Michael Corvin 08-27-07 02:16 PM

Billy Joel.

Sure he still tours(some), but he is a damn creative songwriter and it's a shame he doesn't write anymore.

Originally Posted by Damed

Well the obvious answer is that GNR ceased to exist sometime around 1994.

Nesbit 08-27-07 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Damed

Yeah, me and the 4 guys left from North Dakota get really annoyed.

cungar 08-27-07 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
Goo Goo Dolls. They're just seen as a "ballad" band for 12 year old girls now and before that were seen as a Replacements "ripoff" (even though they didn't sound too much like the Replacements at all), but they used to be an incredible pop/punk fun band that had some amazing live shows.

If I was going to list every band I no longer like because they've sold out like the Goo Goos, I'd have a list of about 300 bands. And the Replacements would be on it too.

cdollaz 08-27-07 03:21 PM

Van Halen was mentioned earlier. I agree and it is true of any other band that has turned into a laughing stock.

Matt 08-27-07 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Well the obvious answer is that GNR ceased to exist sometime around 1994.

Yep. I was a super-huge GN'R fan back in the day, but I wouldn't consider myself "frustrated" by <s>their</s> Axl's output (or lack thereof) since then. More like. . . amused.

nothingfails 08-27-07 04:12 PM

I think it'd be frustrating to be a Michael Jackson fan (I like his old music, but nothing after the early 90's).
- year after year he promises a new album, only to be delayed
- when he does release something new, it's always dismal and below the standards he set himself
- he spends more time in court than in the studio these days
- people laugh at fans for continuing to support and defend someone 90% of America believes is a pedophile
- he doesn't tour, and when he actually graces with a live performance, he sings off-key and moves around embarassingly

nodeerforamonth 08-27-07 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by cungar
If I was going to list every band I no longer like because they've sold out like the Goo Goos, I'd have a list of about 300 bands. And the Replacements would be on it too.

The Replacements "sold out"?!??!?! Link?