Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The Donnas: "Bitchin' " Out 9/18/07

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-07, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Those rock 'n roll gals The Donnas have a new CD out September 18th. I've heard two of the new songs...very 1980s hair metal sound. http://www.myspace.com/thedonnas

Old 08-14-07, 11:00 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Like most people, all I've heard from them is Spend the Night. I keep meaning to check out more of their stuff -- maybe I'll pick this up if it gets good reviews.
Old 08-14-07, 11:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
they remind me of ac/dc. spend the night and turn 21 are great, and gold medal is pretty good too. I'll be sure to pick this one up.
Old 08-14-07, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Couldn't stand "Gold Medal". LOVED "Spend The Night" and all the earlier albums (except for the first one).

Will be checking this out, but after "Gold Medal", I don't have too much hope...
Old 08-14-07, 12:08 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

They really change their sound quite often. They started off sounding like the female Ramones, then switched to a 70s party rock type sound (thinking along the lines of Kiss and Cheap Trick), went for more of a mellow 70s rock sound with Gold Medal, and now on to 80s hard rock/metal. After hearing this I prefer Damone (which is doing the same sort of thing) but maybe this will grow on me after a few listens.
Old 08-14-07, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is one of those bands where I'll pick up every new disk without even having to hear a single track. They're not my favorite band and chunks of time can go buy without me listening to them, but I love their records.
Old 08-14-07, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
Couldn't stand "Gold Medal". LOVED "Spend The Night" and all the earlier albums (except for the first one).

Will be checking this out, but after "Gold Medal", I don't have too much hope...
At first I was disappointed when they moved in a new direction with The Donna's Turn 21 and Spend the Night, but both records grew on me.
I thought Gold Medal was terrible. Hopefully this new album will be better.

Last edited by Obey The D; 08-14-07 at 01:06 PM.
Old 08-14-07, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Old 08-14-07, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Amel
This is one of those bands where I'll pick up every new disk without even having to hear a single track. They're not my favorite band and chunks of time can go buy without me listening to them, but I love their records.

Old 08-15-07, 04:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,129 Posts
Wow! I only have one of their CD's but dammit, I've loved everything I've heard them do. I like the 80's Metal-ish sound of this new one too.

Thanks for the post and myspace link LiquidSky.
Old 08-15-07, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Giantrobo

Thanks for the post and myspace link LiquidSky.
No problem!

Old 08-15-07, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Bows down to liquidsky!

Thanks so much. I am a big fan of The Donnas and I had no clue that they had a new CD coming out

Old 08-15-07, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

whitetigeress: Thanks for posting the new pic!!
Old 08-15-07, 08:38 PM

So they lost their contract to Atlantic? I noticed on the MySpace page that the label is Purple Feather. Is this like their own label's name or some imprint of a major label?
Old 08-16-07, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I hope so. But "Purple Feather" could just be an imprint of Atlantic.

When "Gold Medal" came out, it just had the feeling that some major label bean counter told them to "go soft", when they actually should've gone harder. (Or stayed along the same lines as "Spend The Night").

Hopefully "Bitchin" is a result of them doing what they WANT to do and not sound so forced. Of course, when you put out an album as good as "Spend The Night", anything is going to be downhill from there. So I'm not expecting anything with the new album.
Old 08-16-07, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I believe it's their own label. From what I gather, Atlantic wanted them to go even softer than "Gold Medal" and the gals didn't want to. That's why they parted company with Atlantic.
Old 08-16-07, 11:32 AM

Thanks for updating me on this, guys. If that was the case, then indeed good for them to leave Atlantic.
Old 08-16-07, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by LiquidSky
I believe it's their own label. From what I gather, Atlantic wanted them to go even softer than "Gold Medal" and the gals didn't want to. That's why they parted company with Atlantic.
OMG! You got to be kidding me! Even softer??!?!? They should've been pressured to go harder! Glad Atlantic let them out of their contract instead of completely screwing them.

Good thing the girls didn't give in! I'll pick this up in support of their decision and that I love most of the other the Donnas albums.
Old 08-17-07, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
OMG! You got to be kidding me! Even softer??!?!? They should've been pressured to go harder! Glad Atlantic let them out of their contract instead of completely screwing them.

Good thing the girls didn't give in! I'll pick this up in support of their decision and that I love most of the other the Donnas albums.
I totally agree! Atlantic wanted them to become more pop. I'm glad they stuck to their guns and Atlantic was cool enough to let the gals out. I liked "Gold Medal" but it was definitely softer than their other albums. I wonder if Torry's wrist problems had anything to do with making a lighter album with "Gold Medal"? The song "It Takes One to Know One" is my favorite off that album and it does kick ass.

Last edited by LiquidSky; 08-17-07 at 07:13 AM.
Old 08-21-07, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
they are apparently touring this fall, as there is a date on the ottobar website, oct 6 to be exact. If i can get off of work (or get someone to go with), i might check the show out. Its 15 bucks, and from what i have seen on youtube, ottobar is very small.
Old 08-21-07, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
they are apparently touring this fall, as there is a date on the ottobar website, oct 6 to be exact. If i can get off of work (or get someone to go with), i might check the show out. Its 15 bucks, and from what i have seen on youtube, ottobar is very small.

Rypro: Definitely go if you can. I've seen the gals three times live and they are the real deal....they kick ass live.
Old 08-21-07, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
Why would you need someone to go with?

Just go! They're certainly worth seeing live. Saw them on the Warped Tour in '04. TSOL had just played the main stage and the Donnas were on the other main stage next to it. First thing that comes out of the singer's mouth was "We'd like to thank our grandfathers in TSOL for opening the show for us!" and then proceeded to BLAST through an intense set that had some of the best, loudest guitars I have heard!
Old 08-21-07, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

As Liquidsky and Nodeerforamonth have already said, definitely go see them if you get a chance. I've seen them 4 or 5 times and I've always had a great time. I haven't seen them in a few years, so I'm looking forward to catching them in NYC this October.
Old 08-22-07, 07:34 AM

I love the older Donna's albums.

These samples........not so much.

"Wasted" sounds suspiciously like
"Too bad About Your Girl."

But not as good.
Old 09-18-07, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

BITCHIN' is out today! I've listened to it three times already and gals do not disappoint. This is a kick-ass ROCK N ROLL! Nodeerforamonth I think you will like this one.

Last edited by LiquidSky; 09-18-07 at 07:10 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.