Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Kanye West - Graduation (Sept. 11)

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Kanye West - Graduation (Sept. 11)

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-07, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by wilky61
I saw that 50 Cent "threatened" to retire if Kanye's album outsells him. What an attention whore, maybe he's finally starting to realize that he's old news to anybody over the age of 12.
No one over 12 likes 50 Cent?
Old 08-14-07, 05:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
im going to retract my comment on buying both, if you got on youtube theres a video with a minute long snippet of 5 songs.

so after hearing those along with amusement park, straight to the bank, i get money and ayo technology thats ruffly half the album and i only was kinda feeling ayo technology. (mostly for the beat) straight to the bank was ok, but is really old now.

so ill just be getting kanye, also im really dissapointed with the new twista song, i hope thats not going to be like the rest of his new album. that fat fuck along with fifty as of late has just been making music for the ladies.

i mean slow jams was ok but kamakazi had its share of LL Cool J songs on it, although it was a good album. The Day After was pretty bad tho.
Old 08-14-07, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by An4h0ny
it's also funny how people who throw around insults about certain artists never say what they think IS good.. or at least NOT shitty.

even compared to Louis Armstrong I don't know if you could call Kanye West SHITTY. but then again I own a Sigue Sigue Sputnik 12" and play it sometimes when I get stuck on a really hard level of a video game. so, hey...

i'm just keepin it real
All rap these days are shitty. There full of horrible language and talk about girls in horrible ways. It takes no talent to talk to a beat like they do. You cant compare kanye west to louis armstrong. They are totally different and west has done nothing remotely as talented as armstrong who actually played an instrument and sang. Good music to me is something with out bad language every other word like Bob Dylan, Tom Petty, etc. Im not saying all rap is bad but the new stuff is horrible and I cringe when people consider this crap music.
Old 08-14-07, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by LordofWar
All rap these days are shitty...
You lost me at the word "are". It was all downhill from there.
Old 08-14-07, 08:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LordofWar
All rap these days are shitty.
and you decipher this from...??

The following have either been released or upcoming and looking good:

Talib Kweli - Eardrum
Sage Francis - Human the Death Dance
El-P - I'll sleep when you are dead
Nas - Hip Hop Is Dead
Consequence - Don't Quit Your Day Job
Bone Thugs N Harmony - Strength and Loyalty
Common - Finding Forever
Aesop Rock - None Shall Pass
Del The Funky Homosapien - The 11th Hour (Summer)
Wu-Tang Clan - 8 Diagrams (Summer)
Rakim - The Seventh Seal (July 07)
Murs - Sweet Lord (TBA 07)
Kanye West - Graduation (September)
Lupe Fiasco - The Cool (Oct)
MF Doom & Ghostface Killah - Swift and Unchangeable
Busta Rhymes - Before Hell Freezes Over (Mid-Late 07)
Jay Z - Roc La Familia Pt.2 (TBA 07)
new The Roots
Old 08-14-07, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If you guys haven't learned by now, just about anyone who dislikes rap around here makes it a habit to lump everything from the genre into one massive group. Common is no different from Dem Franchize Boyz if you ask these folks.
Old 08-28-07, 09:22 AM
Suspended

After Entourage on Sunday, I preorded Kanye's new CD from Amazon. For less than ten bucks, I think it's a no-brainer. Another vote for 50 to put up or shut up! Common's CD was $7.99, so I picked that one up, too.

The riff at the beginning of 'Good Life' is different for a hip hop track, but so is a Daft Punk sample (I wasn't a fan of Bustah's 'Touch It'). I think maybe Kanye spent some time listening to good house music and decided to incorporate some elements into his style. The PYT sample is pretty sick, too. I didn't even realize it, but he's the only artist in the last ten years who I've bought 3 consecutive albums of.

So is there any way to know if Amazon's copies are among the 'new' issues? I read in an article that after 100k he had some tracks recut with higher volumes on the beats, samples, etc.
Old 08-28-07, 07:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JPRaup
Rakim - The Seventh Seal (July 07)
I had no idea this was planned. I was really disappointed with 'The Master,' but am really hoping this is an improvement. And according to Wikipedia, the new CD will be released September 7th now, but who knows...

Sorry to take over the thread. As for me, I can't wait for the new Kanye. As before, I'll pass on 50 Cent. Kanye is 'mainstream.' but actually seems to have some substance now and then.
Old 08-30-07, 12:55 PM

the song with mos def (drunk and hot girls) is absolutely atrocious and i didnt like the song with lil wayne either, but the rest is really good.
Old 08-30-07, 04:21 PM

Hip Hop DX has a preview of the new Kanye and 50 Cent albums. You get about a 30 second preview of each song.

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/mixtap...-album-sampler

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/mixtap...-album-sampler

I am really liking the preview for the Kanye album!
Old 08-30-07, 06:43 PM

after a few more listens that Drunk and Hot Girls track kinda grew on me.

overall. its a real solid record, i usually dont like kanye very much but i think he stepped up his lyrics on this one.
Old 08-31-07, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Yep I like it as a whole more than I did the last one, the first one was pure classic album, almost being totally perfect, if not. This is some good shit, 50 is in trouble lol.
Old 08-31-07, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
I'm not into rap, in fact I hate rap. But even I have to admit this album is pretty damn good.
Old 08-31-07, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Seems pretty great to me. I LOVED College Dropout when it came out (bought both versions - regular & remastered) but I couldn't help but feel that Late Registration, despite having a few solid tracks, as an overall album was a letdown. It seems with Graduation, Kanye has finally put out a worthy followup...and the best part, zero skits! (that was a big pet peeve on CD).
Old 08-31-07, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The new 50 Cent is horrible (not shocking, but I went in open-minded). You heard it here first, he will retire after he is outsold by Kanye. His CD is trash.
Old 09-04-07, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Graduation is a fantastic album, only two tracks i don't like, the rest is solid. The new 50 cent album sucks, don't buy it....SUPPORT KANYE on 9/11!!
Old 09-05-07, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

50 and Kanye have both leaked, downloading both as I type along with some new 7L and esoteric album [....]

Five years ago Geoff asked that people respect his rules against
a) discussing where to get bootlegs &
b) their content.
I included a quote from his original post in a Feedback thread in the DOs & DONTs thread permanently stuck atop the Music Talk forum . To my way of thinking "leak" = "bootleg". In view of the numerous warnings about and reminders of this policy, the loss of posting priviliges for flouting it should not come as a surprise to (m)any. The sad thing here is that there wasn't very long to wait until the official release date when a legitimate discussion was able to commence.
[Benedict]

Last edited by benedict; 09-16-07 at 09:59 AM.
Old 09-07-07, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm a big Kanye fan. I have to say, I'm dissapointed with this effort. What a total waste of Mos Def on that stupid drunk girls song, and the beats are not up to his previous standards.

The new Common album blows this out of the water.
Old 09-07-07, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It grows on you. "Champion", "Stronger", "Everything I Am", "Homecoming" and "Big Brother" are bona-fide hits and up there with his very best work.
Old 09-07-07, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

"Champion" is a completely bland song and brings nothing to the table Kanye hasn't done before. That said, this has the potential to be better than his first two releases. The aforementioned track and "Barry Bonds" are the only real stinkers of the lot. "Drunk and Hot Girls" is one of the rare tracks on the album where the immature Kanye shows up, but the production isn't bad.

I say this has the chance to become Kanye's best album of the three because he seems to have finally taken that next step. He's far from mature, but I get a sense of a more sophisticated Ye, both with the production and lyrical content. Add in the lack of stupid skits and sparse use of guests, and I think it's safe to say Kanye's on the right path to finally being "on his own."
Old 09-07-07, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Curtis is worse than Massacre, Massacre was about half as good as get rich or die trying. Same ol beats from 50, and Im more into lyrics than beats and 50 will never give you any awe inspiring lyrics. Dude's got a song with Justin Timberlake and Justin Timberlake Redux(robin Thicke). I respect JT he has a few decent songs, but cmon gangsta rap at this level should never mix with Nsync no matter how mega JT is. Iono, I dont think I'll be listening to this cd in a month and there isnt much else out there keeping me from not keeping this in heavy rotation. Dude's laughing straight to the bank with this. All of me, the beat is nice and Mary J sounds nice, decent 50 verses on this one. Might be the best song on the album. Both of Havoc's beats are nice on this album, too bad 50s verses ruin the first song, 2nd to last song on the album is decent with Havoc. Eminem produces one song and spits a 20 second verse better than any of 50s on the album, its funny at least.

3 mics

Time to listen to Kanye's
Old 09-09-07, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Al Padrino
"Champion" is a completely bland song and brings nothing to the table Kanye hasn't done before.
I have to fiercely disagree with your assessment about it being a bland song. Does it need to bring something new? there's plenty of opportunities in the album to do that (and he does). "Champion", like "We Don't Care" and "Heard 'Em Say", provides that same energetic, irresistible catchiness despite it's simplistic arrangement that assures the listener they are, with Kanye, in good hands for the rest of the album to come.
Old 09-10-07, 05:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by hardercore
It grows on you. "Champion", "Stronger", "Everything I Am", "Homecoming" and "Big Brother" are bona-fide hits and up there with his very best work.

I've given it 4 listens. I want to like it. I just can't. It seems too contrived. The beats are awful. Like I said, I'm a big fan of his earlier work, but this album is just not good.
Old 09-10-07, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

am i the only person who doesn't like this guys ego? Does he think he's Michael Jackson or somebody? Did you hear the way he cried about losing a VMA to Justin Timberlake. Wow..... I mean, Justin had one of the biggest albums of the past year and four or five hit singles, he deserved it. Kanye was crying race on a freaking award show where Fall Out Boy and Britney were the only people there who wouldn't get played on urban radio (Justin and Nelly F. have crossed over).
Old 09-11-07, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by huh?
I'm a big Kanye fan. I have to say, I'm dissapointed with this effort. What a total waste of Mos Def on that stupid drunk girls song, and the beats are not up to his previous standards.

The new Common album blows this out of the water.
I liked the album, but I agree with you that Mos Def was wasted. That song is awful.

I also agree that Common's album is worlds better. Common, IMHO, has had 2 classic albums in a row.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.