Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Miss good Daft Punk? Try this...

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 07-17-07, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was more than a little let down by "Human after All" (perfect album title, at least they realize their weakness...)

Fortunately, two great albums came out in the past few months that are basically the albums Daft Punk should be making.

First, there was Digitalism's Idealism which came out in June. The album is a triumph, IMO. It's uninhibited punk/funk electro with aggressive kick drums, psychedelic vocal effects, insane gate filters and fairly inventive production. Also, you can dance to it (I like to do the "white man's overbite").

http://www.metacritic.com/music/arti...alism/idealism

I just got Justice's (Cross) (the title is actually a symbol of a cross). This came out last week and it may be even better. It mixes retro -disco basslines, some complicated break beats and some great riffs/hooks. It's even more aggressive than "Idealism" and would make a great party record, IMO. I think this might be the best electronica album I've heard in years. I like to the "the Jerry Lewis" to this one.

http://www.metacritic.com/music/artists/justice/cross
Old 07-17-07, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gave the justice album a listen, and it was alright. nothing stood out to me too much.

will give the other a listen though... thanks for the recommendation!
Old 07-17-07, 09:24 PM
Banned

Human After All was good.
Old 07-18-07, 07:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've been listeing to the Digitalism album since last night, and all I can say is Wow!

Thank you for the recommendation, and I agree with you completely: it's very much like Daft Punk at their best.
Old 07-18-07, 08:54 AM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
the last three songs off the Justice album are blinding! some of the other tracks less so, but still, I definately recommend the album.
Old 07-18-07, 08:56 AM

it's more Chemical Brother-esque but Simian Mobile Disco is a great, great album - the import has two discs (second disc: remixes), not sure if it will be released that way when the album makes it's stateside release in Sept.
Old 07-18-07, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Giles
the last three songs off the Justice album are blinding! some of the other tracks less so, but still, I definately recommend the album.
I actually like the fourth track the best ("Newjack"). Something about the fucked-up, broken beat and the radio static gated in and out to the beat. It's a completely manic track.

I actually like almost all the tracks on the album, the only track I really can't stand is "The Party" which may have a worse rap on it than "My Humps".
Old 07-18-07, 09:11 AM

'Stress' though is a total head fuck of a song, it's syncopated rhythm, erradictic almost spastic sounds coming from out of nowhere, it's a visceral song that when listened to on a very loud soundsystem or with headphones, threatens to implode and twist your head into a knot.

I also like the way the entire album is almost mixed into one very long continous song.
Old 07-18-07, 09:47 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
The video for D.A.N.C.E. is really really clever..
Old 07-18-07, 10:17 AM

for completists (like myself) there's also:

'D.A.N.C.E' single:

1. D.A.N.C.E. (Radio Edit)
2. B.E.A.T. (Extended)
3. Phantom
4. D.A.N.C.E. (Extended)
5. D.A.N.C.E. (Video)

"Water of Nazareth" EP

1. Waters of Nazareth
2. Let There Be Light
3. Carpates
4. Waters of Nazareth (Justice Mix)
5. Let The Be Light (DJ Funk Mix)
6. Waters of Nazareth (Erol Alkan Mix)
Old 07-18-07, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
The video for D.A.N.C.E. is really really clever..
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fo_QVq2lGMs"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fo_QVq2lGMs" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

It's a catchy song in a Jackson Five/Go! Team kind of way.
People who haven't heard the album, be aware that the rest of the album sounds pretty much nothing like this song.
Old 07-18-07, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Hiro11
People who haven't heard the album, be aware that the rest of the album sounds pretty much nothing like this song.
that's very true.
Old 07-18-07, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

In regards to both Simian and Justice, I think they're better off sticking to doing remixes and/or being remixed, as neither album does much for me as a whole. Giles is right, though: the last three tracks on † eclipse the rest of the disc by a wide margin.

As for Digitalism, you can download their killer BBC1 essential mix here. Justice did one several weeks ago, but I don't have an active link handy right now. I can upload it if you guys are interested.

Last edited by Cosmic Bus; 07-19-07 at 09:34 AM.
Old 07-18-07, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I like what I've heard from that Justice album...I like the other stuff more than the D.A.N.C.E. track. "Waters of Nazareth" is really good.

Makes me think of a mix between Daft Punk and the "harder" aspects of Prodigy's newest album.
Old 07-19-07, 03:06 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I bought the justice cd, yet to listen to it though.
Old 07-19-07, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Cosmic Bus
Giles is right, though: the last three tracks on † eclipse the rest of the disc by a wide margin.
Have to say, I disagree with you guys.

"Stress" (maybe I can't shake the Saturday Night Fever association) and "Waters of Nazareth" are both good tracks, but "One Minute to Midnight" is not one of the stronger tracks, IMO.

I think that "DVNO", "Newjack" and "Let There be Light" are the strongest tracks on the album.

As for Digitalism, you can download their killer BBC1 essential mix here. Justice did one several weeks ago, but I don't have an active link handy right now. I can upload it if you guys are interested.
Terrific! Thanks!
Old 07-19-07, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Cosmic Bus
In regards to both Simian and Justice, I think they're better off sticking to doing remixes and/or being remixed, as neither album does much for me as a whole. Giles is right, though: the last three tracks on † eclipse the rest of the disc by a wide margin.

Simian has actually released a commercial mix disc, and despite the reviewer's thoughts on Amazon.co.uk's website, I disagree, it's a stunning mix:

Simian Mobile Disco: Suck My Deck

tracklisting:

1. Joakim - Drumtrax
2. Liaisons Dangereuses - Peut ętre ...pas
3. Fast Eddie - Hip House
4. A-J-Scent - Da Posse
5. Simian Mobile Disco - It's The Beat
6. Vincent Markowski - The Madness Of Moths
7. Holden - Idiot
8. Sebastian - Walkman
9. Jack Frost and The Circle Jerks - Shout
10. Para One - Midnight Swim (Riton Rerub)
11. Ms. Thing - Love Guide feat. Switch
12. JoJo De Freq - Make Some Noise!
13. Klaxons - Magick (Simiam Mobile Disco Mix)
14. Partial Arts - Trauermusik (Alter Ego Mix)
15. Buraka Som Sistema - Yah! Feat. Petty
16. Kerowack - Naf Monk (Jaimie Fanatic's Kiss Thiss Mix)
17. LFO - Freak
18. The White Noise - Love Without Sound
Old 07-19-07, 09:35 AM

Yeah, I've got that and it definitely is good.

I think my issue with full albums from acts like this is how quickly they wear on me. Because there's so much similarity in this particular scene right now, it often all tends to just pile up endlessly without ever diferentiating one from another, and simply bores me. That said, I'm more than happy to listen to a single or remix here and there, play it to death, and move on to something else. This is a (sub?)genre where I rarely find myself returning to an existing track after I tire of it. Album-wise, my listening habits lean significantly more towards the ambient and experimental.

For anyone who was going to download the Digitalism mix, I've fixed the link; the previous one only had part 1 of this mix.

Last edited by Cosmic Bus; 07-19-07 at 09:42 AM.
Old 07-19-07, 01:51 PM

Love both of these albums. I think I prefer the Digitalism more than the Justice album though. The Simian Mobile Disco album is great, too. It does have hints of the Chemical Brothers.
Old 07-20-07, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
re: Daft Punk

Originally Posted by Arpeggi
Human After All was good.
I thought it was the worst of the three. Discovery was the high point for me.

Is that really them on Kanye West's new song "Stronger"? I know the sample is, but they had nothing to do with it other than signing on the dotted line....right?
Old 07-20-07, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by Rogue588
Is that really them on Kanye West's new song "Stronger"? I know the sample is, but they had nothing to do with it other than signing on the dotted line....right?
I don't know if they were directly involved in Kanye's track or not, but they appear in the video.
Old 07-20-07, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I like both albums, although if I had to recommend one over the other I'd probably go with Digitalism.
For those that enjoy Digitalism and Justice you may also want to check out MSTRKRFT.
Old 07-20-07, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Rogue588
I thought it was the worst of the three. Discovery was the high point for me.
I always liked "Homework" and I admit I Was worried about "Discovery" when I found out that there was singing on a lot of the songs. I ended up really liking "Discovery".

"Human After All"....well, the first three songs on the CD along with "Technologic" are great to good...the rest of the CD is forgettable.
Old 07-22-07, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Hiro11
It's a catchy song in a Jackson Five... kind of way.
and somewhat interestingly, D.A.N.C.E. is a tribute to Michael Jackson; Justice said that he's been through some tough times recently and they want him to know they're there for him, or something to that effect. So the lyrics are actually about him and his songs. I believe they intentionally chose kids to that effect as well

Do the D.A.N.C.E.
1 2 3 4 fight
Stick to the B.E.A.T. (IT)
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T.
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C.
That's how you make it right

Do the DANCE
The way you move is a mystery
Do the DANCE
You're always there for music and me
Do the DANCE
Do the DANCE
You're always there for music and me (early MJ song)

Under the spotlights
Neither black nor white
It doesn't matter
Do the DANCE (do the dance)

As strong as you might
Working day and night (from Off the Wall)
Whatever happens (from Invincible)
Do the DANCE (do the dance)

You're always there for music and me

Last edited by thismeansyou; 07-22-07 at 08:51 PM.
Old 07-23-07, 01:32 AM

daft punk killed it last night at the la sports arena. too bad they didn't have any shirts in size small.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.