Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

U2: PopMart DVD -6/26/07

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-07, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts

U2 Brings PopMart To DVD In June

U2 will on June 26 offer up the first DVD release of the 1998 home video "PopMart Live From Mexico City," which was taped at the city's Foro Sol Autodromo on Dec. 3, 1997.

The Island Records/Interscope/UMe project was originally filmed on analog video but has been transferred to digital and optically enhanced for the new version. The audio has also been remastered and mixed in 5.1 Surround Sound.

In addition to a single-DVD set, "PopMart" will be available in a special limited edition with a second disc featuring unreleased material. Among them are four live audio tracks recorded in Rotterdam, Holland, and three others taped in Edmonton, Alberta, plus alternate videos for "Staring at the Sun" and "Last Night on Earth," four tour documentaries and a stage visuals montage.

U2 is at work writing material for its next studio album, the follow-up to 2004's "How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb." No release date has been set for the effort.

Here is the track list for "PopMart Live From Mexico City":

"Pop Muzik"
"Mofo"
"I Will Follow"
"Gone"
"Even Better Than the Real Thing"
"Last Night on Earth"
"Until The End of The World"
"New Year's Day"
"Pride (In the Name of Love)"
"I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For"
"All I Want Is You"
"Desire"
"Staring at the Sun"
"Sunday Bloody Sunday"
"Bullet the Blue Sky"
"Please"
"Where the Streets Have No Name"
"Lemon (Perfecto Mix)"
"Discothèque"
"If You Wear That Velvet Dress"
"With or Without You"
"Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me"
"Mysterious Ways"
"One"
"Wake Up Dead Man"

BILLBOARD.com
Old 05-18-07, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The upcoming U2 Popmart: Live in Mexico City DVD will be released in a standard DVD Edition (Super Jewel Case) and a 2DVD Deluxe Edition (Digipak with slipcover in holographic foil and a pop-up).

The Deluxe Edition contains the content found on the original set along with the following bonus live performances:

Feyennoord Stadium – Rotterdam – July 18, 1997
“Please,” “Where the Streets Have No Name,” “Discotheque,” and If You Wear That Velvet Dress.”
Commonwealth Stadium – Edmonton – June 14, 1997
“”Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me,” “Mysterious Ways,” and “One.”
Bonus Video Tracks that include:
“Staring at the Sun” (Miami Version), “Last Night on Earth – First Night in Hell” (Remix)
·Documentaries:
Lemon For Sale, The Road to Sarajevo, A Tour of the Tour, and Last Night on Earth – On Day in Kansas.

The DVD-Rom portion contains Weblinks as well as wallpapers and screensavers. The audio is presented in 5.1 DTS and Dolby Digital, and 2.0 PCM.

MUSICTAP.net
Old 05-19-07, 08:44 AM
FM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for posting...somehow I had missed the announcement. It's about time. Now how about some Red Rocks?!

Fred
Old 05-19-07, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Sweet! Another U2 concert in DTS!
Old 05-19-07, 09:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Island Records/Interscope/UMe project was originally filmed on analog video but has been transferred to digital and optically enhanced for the new version. The audio has also been remastered and mixed in 5.1 Surround Sound.
So,does this mean it is "Enhanced for widescreen Tvs"?
Old 06-10-07, 12:29 AM

anyone know if this got pushed back. Amazon says it will be released on sept. 11 2007
Old 06-13-07, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by vman69
...So,does this mean it is "Enhanced for widescreen Tvs"?
That's my question too. Anyone?
Old 06-13-07, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by vman69
So,does this mean it is "Enhanced for widescreen Tvs"?
It's in Full Sreen format... Did U think it was in Widescreen? [It's that what U meant by asking ""Enhanced for widescreen Tvs"?]
Old 06-16-07, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by gerrythedon
It's in Full Sreen format... Did U think it was in Widescreen? [It's that what U meant by asking ""Enhanced for widescreen Tvs"?]
I still have my VCR tape of the Showtime airing somewhere.I know it's not widescreen,but if they"transferred to digital and optically enhanced for the new version",couldn't they make it Enhanced for Widscreen tv's?But I guess they would have to crop it,and nobody wants that.It will be just like the Zoo tv from Sydney.
Old 06-17-07, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,178 Likes on 4,207 Posts
I'm getting a little pissed at U2 for putting out a regular and a deluxe version of every DVD release. I don't begrudge spending a few bucks more for bonus content, but it should really be included for everyone and often the regular versions are on sale and the difference between the two versions can be double. Not sure which version I should pick up...
Old 06-27-07, 01:37 PM
Cool New Member

delayed???

Any official word on if this release was delayed to a later date??? No mention of this DVD in Sunday's ads.
Old 06-27-07, 11:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's been delayed to 9/11/07.
Old 06-28-07, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Sucks that it was delayed but the new release date is a week before my B-Day which means I won't have to pay for it.

Any word on when their new album is coming? I thought it was sometime this year?
Old 08-16-07, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Popmart: Live From Mexico will finally be released in a Deluxe Special/Limited Edition 2DVD set as well as the obligatory standard single DVD form. The 2DVD set will contain the standard 25-song performance original as well as a second DVD of bonus live tracks, documentaries, and music videos. The Live tracks include seven performance tracks from two locations, as well as four documentaries and two video tracks remix versions. The video and audio has been remastered and the DVD will include a brand new 5.1 Surround mix in both DTS and Dolby. The packaging is digipak with a slipcase in holographic foil and a pop-up. Popmart from U2 will be seen in two versions on September 18.

MUSICTAP.net
Old 09-13-07, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is this still coming out next week? I haven't heard anything else about it.
Old 09-13-07, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

PopMart Debuts on DVD

A DVD version of 'PopMart Live From Mexico City' is released today.

Billed as a 'sci-fi disco supermarket', the PopMart Tour opened in its 'spiritual home', Las Vegas, on 25th April 1997. 'PopMart Live from Mexico City' was filmed at the Foro Sol Autodromo in Mexico City in December that year and directed by David Mallet. Shot on analogue video - and originally released on video in 1998 - for its DVD debut it has been transferred to a digital format with re-graded pictures, remastered audio and mixed in 5.1 Surround Sound.

The DVD comes in a Standard 1-disc format, featuring the concert, and a Special Limited Edition 2-disc format, the 2nd bonus disc containing unreleased live audio and video material, including documentaries, a PopMart tour visuals montage, and DVD-ROM extras.

Here's the track listing:

Disc One:
Pop Muzik / Mofo / I Will Follow / Gone / Even Better Than The Real Thing / Last Night On Earth / Until The End of The World / New Year's Day / Pride (In The Name Of Love) / I Still Haven't Found What I?m Looking For / All I Want Is You / Desire / Staring At The Sun / Sunday Bloody Sunday / Bullet The Blue Sky / Please / Where The Streets Have No Name / Lemon (Perfecto Mix) / Discothèque / If You Wear That Velvet Dress / With Or Without You / Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me / Mysterious Ways / One / Wake Up Dead Man

Performance from Foro Sol Autodromo, Mexico City, filmed 3rd December 1997

Director : David Mallet
Producer : Ned O'Hanlon
Executive Producer - Paul McGuinness
Show Designer/Director - Willie Williams

Bonus disc (special limited edition format only)

1. Bonus live tracks
- Please / Where The Streets Have No Name / Discothèque / If You Wear That Velvet Dress All recorded live at Feyenoord Stadium, Rotterdam on 18th July 1997
- Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me / Mysterious Ways / One All recorded live at Commonwealth Stadium, Edmonton on 14th June 1997

2. Bonus video tracks
- Staring At The Sun (Miami version)
Directed by Morleigh Steinberg
- Last Night On Earth - First Night In Hell (Remix version)
Directed by John Bland

3. Documentaries
- Lemon For Sale
- The Road To Sarajevo
- A Tour Of The Tour
- Last Night On Earth ? One Day In Kansas

4. PopMart Tour Visuals Montage Curated by Catherine Owens

5. Extras
- DVD-Rom: Weblinks, Wallpapers, Screensavers

Aspect: 4:3
Sound: Disc 1: PCM Stereo, Dolby Digital 5:1 Surround, DTS 5:1 Surround
Bonus Disc: PCM Stereo
Duration: Disc 1: 2 hrs 6 mins
Bonus Disc: 1 hr 31 mins
Language: English
Subtitles (Bonus disc only): English, French, German, Spanish, Portuguese (not including any subtitling of songs)
DVD: Disc 1: DVD 9
Bonus Disc: DVD 5

U2.com
Old 09-15-07, 10:04 AM

According to their website, Best Buy will be selling the 1 disc for $9.99 and the 2 disc version for $19.99. I wonder if it'll be worth the extra $10 for the second disc...
Old 09-16-07, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The two disc has a digipack packaging aswell, I think the cover is holofoil too.

I'll be getting the two disc, i wasn't expecting BB to have this under 22.99
Old 09-18-07, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

According to the website, Besy Buy stores have the 2 disc set in stock for 19.99. I will be picking it up later today, all the U2 dvds have been great so far so I'm sure this is no exception. I personally feel the Pop album and Popmart Tour are both massively underrated. I saw Popmart 5 or 6 times live and it was mind blowing.
Old 09-18-07, 07:43 PM

It is $19.99 in-store. I picked one up. Gorgeous foil-embossed cover on it. The difference in run time is about 90 minutes, so I guess it's worth the extra $10. Will hopefully check it out tonight.
Old 09-18-07, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Picked up 3. As stated above, it's $19.99 [scanned] at store for the 2disc. Haven't opened it yet but I'm liking the package, way better than their other 5 DVD releases.
Old 09-19-07, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

sweet deal! will pick one up tomorrow. someone post and do tell us how great it is!
Old 09-19-07, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
I got the single disc ($13.99/Target--I was just there and didn't feel like driving all around), and the picture/sound quality is pretty amazing. LOVE the DTS option. Though I certainly wish the picture was "enhanced for widescreen TVs," it's pretty amazing how good they can make video from 10 years ago look. Excellent songlist, and even though Pop was not my favorite, it's a very well-done disc and I can only hope they do Under a Blood Red Sky next...
Old 09-19-07, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 71 Likes on 47 Posts
Do they have all of the Under A Blood Red Sky concert on film, or just the songs that made it onto the video?
Old 09-19-07, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally Posted by cdollaz
Do they have all of the Under A Blood Red Sky concert on film, or just the songs that made it onto the video?
There are various versions floating around, that have most of the missing songs, but I don't believe there is a COMPLETE version on video (even though many folks claim there is, I don't think "I Fall Down" was ever on any verison)

Here is the setlist for the show:

June 05, 1983 / Denver, CO
Venue: Red Rocks Amphitheater

Out Of Control (On Showtime Version)
Twilight (On Showtime Version)
An Cat Dubh (On Showtime Version)
Into The Heart (On Showtime Version)
Surrender (On Released Video)
Two Hearts Beat As One (????)
Seconds (On Released Video)
Sunday Bloody Sunday (On Released Video)
Electric Co. (On Video)
I Fall Down (Edited Out)
October (On Video)
New Year's Day (On Video)
I Threw A Brick...(On Video)
A Day Without Me (On Video)
Gloria (On Video)
Party Girl (On Video)
11 O'Clock Tick Tock (On Video)
I Will Follow (On Video)
40 (On Video)

Last edited by Chrisedge; 09-19-07 at 12:24 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.