Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

U2: PopMart DVD -6/26/07

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

U2: PopMart DVD -6/26/07

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-07, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,176 Likes on 4,205 Posts
Cracked mine open today. First and foremost : the packaging for the 2-disc set is AMAZING! It's freakin beautiful with holographic cover encasing holographic insert. The double overlapping Digipac case has a gatefold and when that is opened up, it reveals a beautiful booklet with thick shiny glossy pages. Nicer than a concert program, it is really something. Turn to the last page for a little surprise as well.

The video is disappointing on the main release. it's very blurry. The colors are nice, but everything has a halo. I could chock it up to age and source material but the bonus footage is much sharper. It may have had something to do with the frost of that cold night, but it really looks pretty bad to me. The sound on the other hand is amazing. The DTS has a great bass and sounds very full, the DD 5.1 track is a little sharper but much less full. It's like the difference between a CD and an SACD. Love that DTS track. The PCM track is nothing special. Of course, the irony is that the excerpts from Rotterdam and Edmonton look sharper but sound like tin. That's why they're considered bonus, I guess. Also the songs are all on the original performance, and in the same order as well. Just watched one of the bonus doc, a five minute fluff piece. Not sure about the rest. If not for the packaging, I'd probably say go with the 1 discer, but it's so nice, I'd recommend splurging on this one. It's a good show (even if it's in support of easily their worst album) and the sound presentation is outstanding. Just be prepared to have a little headache and feel like you need glasses after watching it. Or better yet, just listen to it while admiring the packaging!
Old 09-20-07, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Decker
Cracked mine open today. First and foremost : the packaging for the 2-disc set is AMAZING! It's freakin beautiful with holographic cover encasing holographic insert. The double overlapping Digipac case has a gatefold and when that is opened up, it reveals a beautiful booklet with thick shiny glossy pages. Nicer than a concert program, it is really something. Turn to the last page for a little surprise as well.

The video is disappointing on the main release. it's very blurry. The colors are nice, but everything has a halo. I could chock it up to age and source material but the bonus footage is much sharper. It may have had something to do with the frost of that cold night, but it really looks pretty bad to me. The sound on the other hand is amazing. The DTS has a great bass and sounds very full, the DD 5.1 track is a little sharper but much less full. It's like the difference between a CD and an SACD. Love that DTS track. The PCM track is nothing special. Of course, the irony is that the excerpts from Rotterdam and Edmonton look sharper but sound like tin. That's why they're considered bonus, I guess. Also the songs are all on the original performance, and in the same order as well. Just watched one of the bonus doc, a five minute fluff piece. Not sure about the rest. If not for the packaging, I'd probably say go with the 1 discer, but it's so nice, I'd recommend splurging on this one. It's a good show (even if it's in support of easily their worst album) and the sound presentation is outstanding. Just be prepared to have a little headache and feel like you need glasses after watching it. Or better yet, just listen to it while admiring the packaging!
You are right about the packaging, and in case people aren't aware, most of the booklet is a reprint of the Popmart Tour program. ( the best tour program i have ever seen , worth trying to pick up on ebay or something).

The bonus disc is over 2 hours long and is well worth it in my opinion. It has some great bonus live tracks, 5 mini-documentaries and a video. It also has a couple cool easter eggs/bonuses.
Old 09-20-07, 03:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by uteotw
Though I certainly wish the picture was "enhanced for widescreen TVs," it's pretty amazing how good they can make video from 10 years ago look.
Yeah, that just wasn't possible here. Not only would they be modifying the original aspect ratio, they'd be cropping in on a 4:3 stand definition video frame, which would result in considerably lower resolution and a pretty shitty, misframed image.

The image does look better than I expected, considering this was shot on video.

The packaging of the two-disc is fantastic --- the best of U2's DVDs. I haven't had a chance to go through all of the extras, but I liked Tour of the Tour and some of the other behind-the-scenes stuff.

Any major U2 fan shouldn't think twice about dropping a few extra bucks for the two-disc version.
Old 09-20-07, 08:14 AM

Perfect review Decker...
I guess they did the best they could with the mess of that video...
I was pissed when I saw it live on Showtime, then with the VHS
It was shot very poorly.
Old 09-20-07, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
Popmart was the only U2 tour in the last 20 years I missed, so I was curious to watch this. I wasn't very impressed. As stated above, the picture sucks. As for the show, it seemed like they had gotten to the point where the music was overshadowed by costumes and the extravagance of everything. I'm glad they ditched it after that tour. It didn't help that they were coming off of their 2 weakest albums and I didn't care much for the setlist on Popmart. 2 of my favorite songs form Pop are Staring At The Sun and Do You Feel Loved. One wasn't played at all (at least not on this video) and the other was acoustic, which really takes a lot away from the song. As for the others, it was pretty much the same old shit.
Old 09-20-07, 05:32 PM

Received 51 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by cdollaz
Popmart was the only U2 tour in the last 20 years I missed, so I was curious to watch this. I wasn't very impressed. As stated above, the picture sucks. As for the show, it seemed like they had gotten to the point where the music was overshadowed by costumes and the extravagance of everything. I'm glad they ditched it after that tour. It didn't help that they were coming off of their 2 weakest albums and I didn't care much for the setlist on Popmart. 2 of my favorite songs form Pop are Staring At The Sun and Do You Feel Loved. One wasn't played at all (at least not on this video) and the other was acoustic, which really takes a lot away from the song. As for the others, it was pretty much the same old shit.
After this debacle it wasn't long before Staring became accoustic.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JbriItBGGLM"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JbriItBGGLM" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
Old 09-20-07, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I received my Popmart DVD from B&N today only to open it and discover..."Wallace & Grommit 2 Pack". ARGGHH!! Off to straighten out yet another shipping error and wait some more...
Old 09-21-07, 02:21 AM

Location: Stuck in traffic on the 5 fwy somewhere in Los Angeles
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Just picked up my 2 disc copy from Best Buy for $19.99 even though it had a $27.99 price tag on the front cover.

A few thoughts: I have to disagree with the few posters that hate the video quality. This blown-out-high-contrast "halo" effect is clearly intentional by both the director David Mallet and the band. In-fact the enhanced analogue video fits in perfectly with the whole "Popmart" theme... cheesy and kitsch. I highly doubt U2 would have hired Mallet if he was going to give them anything but what he's famous for, his particular style that he honed with early David Bowie and Queen music videos. Also, I doubt U2 would approve of Popmarts release if they weren't happy with the overall quality.

U2 is one of my guilty pleasures, once again they don't disappoint. Popmart is another perfect addition to the collection, now I need to go make more space on the shelf...

Buy it, dig it, enjoy!
Old 09-21-07, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,176 Likes on 4,205 Posts
You can say the halos are intentional, but you can't say they look good. You lose all detail and get brightly colored smudges instead sharp images. I had a hard time making out any details; even the band member's faces aren't really recognizable. I still like the show and the colors are vibrant, but don't tell me that this DVD looks good, because it doesn't.
Old 09-21-07, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

[QUOTE=Matto1020]After this debacle it wasn't long before Staring became accoustic.[QUOTE]

I remember this - I think this was the first show in Las Vegas, very funny. I have seen footage where they eventually nail this song 'plugged' and it sounds very good. However, I'll disagree and say that the acoustic version added a lot to the song - I love to hear the Edge sing and I got plenty of that with the acoustic version.

Further, it's my opinion that the disc is fine - could it be better if it was shot by today's standards? Sure. But I'm glad to finally have this on DVD so I won't complain.

Lastly, two of my fav albums were Zooropa and POP as they were at their most creative out of the box stage which most bands never have the courage to attempt. Not surprisingly the ensuing tours were among my most favorite and memorable. Cdollaz, you were not at the tour, so there's no way you could know what the tour was like through a video. I saw Popmart 3 times and was blown away each time. I was right under the stage and also far away at one point and the setup was overwhelming from both vantages but IMO it did not take away from the music. It was just as impressive as ZooTv.
Old 09-30-07, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

so i finally popped the DVD in, and the comments about the picture quality are pretty accurate. it's not very high quality. but... for being from an analogue source, it looks decent. the sound, however is awesome. the concert itself, of course, is awesome.
Old 10-01-07, 12:50 PM

The extra live footage on disc 2 is great. It's rather crudely filmed when compared to the ultra flashy and slick Mexico City concert, but I think this only adds to its charm. A gorgeous "One" from Edmonton was my favorite.
That Bono sure can sing!
Now, hopefully next year we will get Under a Blood Red Sky on dvd.
Old 10-01-07, 02:32 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 108 Likes on 97 Posts
The Popmart tour was great - I loved it. Saw it in Foxboro. Got to pick this up..
Old 10-02-07, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally Posted by keith71
...Now, hopefully next year we will get a COMPLETE Under a Blood Red Sky on dvd.
Fixed