Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The Weird Al Yankovic 2007 tour thread

Old 05-01-07, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Weird Al Yankovic 2007 tour thread

I'm going to see Weird Al Yankovic tomorrow night at Innsbrook here in Richmond. This will be my first time seeing him perform live. I'm not a hardcore fan, but I couldn't pass up this show since it's only $10. What can I expect from a Weird Al performance?

Also, has anyone seen one of his recent shows? How was it? What'd he play?
Old 05-01-07, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I saw him open for the Monkees some time in the 80s. It was a cool show.
Old 05-01-07, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

From what I hear he always puts on a very entertaining show (with a solid mix of old and new songs).
Old 05-01-07, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I haven't seen him since the Alapalooza tour.
Old 05-01-07, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have tickets to see him in Long Island on June 2nd.

I've seen him about 6 or 7 times before....every tour since 1996.

It's not like a concert - it's more like a show, with costume changes. During the changes, you will be entertained by clips on the screens. They'll probably show one or 2 mock interviews, like the ones shown on AL-TV.

His set will probably have at least 4-5 songs from the new album, some old stuff, and a medley or 2.

His band is tight also and they have good chemistry, as they have been together for 20+ years (I think?) You won't be disappointed
Old 05-02-07, 03:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I saw him in July 2000, and it was a great show.

It's a very tight set, everything flows well, at no time is something not going on.

As I remember, it was two hours exact, and he did around 30 songs, along with the clips in between.

Very cool show. I especially liked the special effects when he did "The Night Santa Went Crazy"...
Old 05-02-07, 03:23 AM

any fans in the orange county area- he's got a residency going on at this years oc fair.

Code:
July 17 through July 21.
8:00pm - 10:00pm
Reserved Seating $19.99 (includes free Fair admission).
Old 05-02-07, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

He's going to be at the San Diego Fair this summer. I was thinking of going.
Old 05-03-07, 04:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

He used to always perform at the California Mid-State Fair in Paso Robles (seeing in that he graduated from nearby Cal Poly), but he hasn't been there for three or four years, and as far as I know won't be there this July-August either...

Here's the link to the 2007 tour (what has been announced so far)

http://www.weirdal.com/touring.htm
Old 05-03-07, 04:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

He's coming to my town.

Hopefully I can talk to him this time....tight schedule meant we couldn't talk to him post show.
Old 05-03-07, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Nabalab

It's not like a concert - it's more like a show, with costume changes. During the changes, you will be entertained by clips on the screens. They'll probably show one or 2 mock interviews, like the ones shown on AL-TV.

His band is tight also and they have good chemistry, as they have been together for 20+ years (I think?) You won't be disappointed
I'm surprised he's never gotten a permanent spot in Vegas.
Old 05-03-07, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You guys were right. What a show!

The concert started an hour and a half late due to a thunderstorm, but that didn't keep people from showing up - the crowd was huge. The opening band's performance was nixed and Weird Al took the stage around 8:15 and played for 2 hours. The videos weren't working for the first couple of segments ("This may be a long night" Al said from backstage), but luckily all the issues were resolved early on.

The set list:
1. "Polkarama!"
2. "Canadian Idiot"
3. "Close But No Cigar"
4. "Bob"
5. "It's All About the Pentiums"
6. "You're Pitiful"
7. "Wanna B Ur Lovr"
8. Medley: "Couch Potato"/"Do I Creep You Out?"/"I'm in Love with the Skipper"/"Headline News" (about Britney)/"Confessions Pt. III"/"A Complicated Song"/"Ebay"/"Bedrock Anthem"/"Ode to a Superhero"/"Pretty Fly for a Rabbi"/"Trapped in the Drive Thru"/"Gump"/"Eat It"
9. "I'll Sue Ya"
10. "The Saga Begins"
11. "Yoda"
12. "Smells Like Nirvana"
13. "Amish Paradise"
14. "White and Nerdy"
15. "Fat"
Encore:
16. song referenced in a video interview clip (I won't spoil it)
17. "Albuquerque"

Costumes: Billie Joe Armstrong, Puff Daddy, James Blunt, Eminem, Taylor Hicks, Gilligan, Michael Jackson (Thriller and Bad eras), Zach de la Rocha, jedi, Kurt Cobain, amish (I may have missed a couple)

His band was very impressive. All of the videos were funny, some of them were hilarious (especially the 1950s educational safety film).

At the close of the show, Al said that this was the first date of the tour and thanked us for a good dress rehearsal. I was too far back to get any decent pictures, but I did what I could.

I see he is playing the Ohio State Fair in August and am seriously considering making the trip to see him again. I can go to OH under the guise of "visiting relatives".

EDIT: here's my local newspaper's review of last night's show

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
I'm surprised he's never gotten a permanent spot in Vegas.
That would be awesome.

Last edited by DJLinus; 05-03-07 at 08:33 PM.
Old 05-03-07, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Damn dude great setlist, thanks for the post. I used to be a big fan of him but never saw one of his shows... might have to finally catch him.
Old 05-03-07, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

He stopped doing Yoda as his encore?!
Old 05-03-07, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

On the one hand you got cheated out of a "live only" song....we got that Celine Dion/Pizza Delivery parody.

However you got "Albuquerque" live...which is only the most awesome thing ever.
Old 05-04-07, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Hmmm...he's coming fairly close to me twice this year. May have to break down and see him a third time. His live shows rock.
Old 05-04-07, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Were you the oldest person by like 10 years? That's the way I felt when I went to see him about 6 years ago... and I was only 23 then.
Old 05-04-07, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was really surprised at the people who were at the concert I went to.

Kids, teens, 20's, 30's, 40's, 50's.

This was the only concert I have ever gone too where I had no idea what kind of fans to expect.
Old 05-04-07, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I might actually go to the Minnesota State Fair this year - I abhor going to any state fair it's been years since I've seen him and it's always a good time.
Old 06-12-07, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Anybody been to this tour yet? We're going to the Tulsa show on 7/13 and I'm looking forward to it immensely since I'll be taking my 6 year old daughter as well.
Old 06-12-07, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Caught the show in Reading, PA on 5/3. I've seen him many times before and this was in my top 2 performances of all time!
Old 06-12-07, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by pinata242
Anybody been to this tour yet? We're going to the Tulsa show on 7/13 and I'm looking forward to it immensely since I'll be taking my 6 year old daughter as well.
I saw him a week and half ago in Westbury, LI on 6/2 - great show.

The last few times I have seen him, he has usually done a variation of old stuff and new stuff, but it seems that this tour is primarily focused on what came out after 1990 (except of course standards like Eat It, Fat, and Yoda). Nothing really wrong with that because I like the new stuff too.

"I'll Sue Ya" is my fave off the new album - it's a RATM-style parody, and the lyrics are hysterical.

Last edited by Nabalab; 06-12-07 at 09:17 PM.
Old 06-13-07, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

He plays tonight at the San Diego Fair. I'd love to see him but it also means dealing with traffic, parking and crowds. Decisions decisions....
Old 06-22-07, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Tickets went one sale for the Warner theater this morning. Got two seats about 20 rows back in the center, great location for the show.

If he doesn't play All About the Pentiums, the show will be ruined for me.

So excited!!! Last time I saw Al he opened for the Monkees!!
Old 06-26-07, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I got lucky with some great seats for Glen Ellyn, IL show (just a few miles from my house). I didn't even know about the concert, it wasn't listed on College of Dupage's website or Ticketmaster either. Someone on Ebay listed all of Al's shows, and the show was listed there.

Turns out, if you register to weirdal.com, you get special presale tickets for the show, so I ended up with 4th row, center. For around $100 per ticket, you can also get tickets for special seats in front of the first row. Thought about it, but that may be hard on the neck.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.