Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The Police- 2007 Tour Thread

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The Police- 2007 Tour Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-07, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In a story on Billboard.com announcing the return of MTV Unplugged, saw this item of interest:

No information has yet been unveiled about the other tapings, although the Police will reportedly hold their "Unplugged" show in mid-July in Miami. Rumor has it the group is also mulling the release of an album featuring acoustic renditions of old material.
Old 06-01-07, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 7,041 Likes on 4,773 Posts
I'd read that there were some big acts lined up to be opening acts for this tour (I can't remember which), but checking online, it looks to be Sting's kid's band for the entire tour. Any definitive word one way or the other?
Old 06-01-07, 01:49 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm sure Sting's kid's band is the act that tours and opens at every single venue, and then they'll have special guest openers at individual locations.
Old 06-01-07, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This is hilarious:

http://www.reuters.com/articlePrint?...47412520070601

Police drummer rips band's "lame" concert
Fri Jun 1, 2007 7:09AM EDT
By Dean Goodman

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - The singer in the Police jumps like a "petulant pansy," the drummer is making a "complete hash," and who knows what the guitarist is doing?

Notes from a bitter critic? Actually, it's a disarmingly frank concert review from the aforementioned drummer of the newly reunited rock trio.

A philosophical Stewart Copeland unleashed his vitriol in a posting on his Web site on Thursday, a day after the band played its second show in Vancouver, the Canadian city where it began its first world tour in more than 20 years on Monday.

"This is unbelievably lame," Copeland wrote of Wednesday's show at the GM Place arena. "We are the mighty Police and we are totally at sea."

Most of the 20,000 fans at the venue might not have noticed a series of small flubs, but Copeland, singer/bassist Sting, and guitarist were painfully aware of them.

Copeland started the show off on the wrong foot, literally. He tripped as he took to the stage, and then banged his gong at the wrong time so that "the big pompous opening to the show is a damp squib."

He did not hear Summers' opening riff to "Message In a Bottle," and Sting in turn misheard Copeland's drum intro -- "so we are half a bar out of sync with each other. Andy is in Idaho."

They quickly recovered, but then Sting got his footwork wrong as he leapt into the air to signal the end to a shambolic version of their rat-race rant "Synchronicity II."

"The mighty Sting momentarily looks like a petulant pansy instead of the god of rock," Copeland reported.

"And so it goes, for song after song," he wrote, with tunes such as "Every Little Thing She Does is Magic" and "Don't Stand So Close To Me" reduced to ruin.

"It usually takes about four or five shows in a tour before you get to the disaster gig. But we're The Police so we are a little ahead of schedule," he said.

Fortunately, no fists flew backstage as they did back in the Police's heyday. The threesome fell into each other's arms laughing hysterically, Copeland said.

"Screw it, it's only music. What are you gonna do? But maybe it's time to get out of Vancouver."
Old 06-03-07, 05:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I saw this concert last night in Edmonton. I'm not sure what kind of crack Copeland is smoking, I thought it was a fantastic show.

This is live music people, sometimes things go wrong or sound awful. If I wanted to hear studio perfect songs, I would have saved the 500 dollars and stayed at home and listened to the CDs.

I LOVE MUSIC!!!!!

Ian
Old 06-03-07, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah that is so funny that he would say that. ALL BANDS mess up live....we just don't notice it most of the time
Old 06-04-07, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A "new" 2 disc set comes out tomorrow:

If I didn't already have the original CDs, The Very Best of Sting and the Police, Every Breath You Take (both CD and SACD), Greatest Hits, and Message in a Box......I'd buy this.
Old 06-04-07, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Can't wait for the LA show.
Old 06-04-07, 04:54 PM

I love the Police's albums, but I have no interest in hearing them go out as dinosaurs playing their 'greatest hits'...thats' the most -lame- part. If they had made a new album and it was good, that would be a different story though personally I still would not go at these kinds of prices and at these oversized venues.
Old 06-04-07, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by porieux
I love the Police's albums, but I have no interest in hearing them go out as dinosaurs playing their 'greatest hits'...thats' the most -lame- part. If they had made a new album and it was good, that would be a different story though personally I still would not go at these kinds of prices and at these oversized venues.
A new album might come and I'd certainly be excited if it did, but Sting has moved so far away from that sort of music in 25 years that I don't think fans would be happy no matter what the new album sounded like.
As far as just playing "the hits", you have to remember that the entire Police catalog is what, 50- 55 songs? There isn't a big pool of songs t draw from.

I'll be at the LV show in a week and a half and I can't wait!
Old 06-05-07, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
What famous act *doesn't* play mostly their hits live? Sometimes you get one or two more obscure album cuts, but not very often.

I'm greatly looking forward to their Michigan stop as this was one of two or three groups I never expected to get the chance to see!
Old 06-07-07, 01:02 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I just bought tickets to their November 8th show in Toronto. I'm really looking forward to it.
Old 06-07-07, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by porieux
Alright.
Old 06-11-07, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 284 Likes on 168 Posts
Here's last night's setlist in Denver. Looks like it's a pretty standard setlist, at least in the early dates, not a lot of variety. I'll be seeing them a month from tonight in Tampa.

Message In A Bottle
Synchronicity II
Don't Stand So Close to Me
Voices Inside My Head
When The World Is Running Down
Spirits In The Material World
Driven To Tears
Walking On The Moon
Truth Hits Everybody
Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic
Wrapped Around Your Finger
The Bed's Too Big Without You
De Do Do Do De Da Da Da
Invisible Sun
Walking in Your Footsteps
Can't Stand Losing You
Roxanne
King Of Pain
So Lonely
Every Breath You Take
Next To You
Old 06-11-07, 02:42 PM
Suspended

I will also be seeing them in Tampa.
Old 06-11-07, 03:13 PM

I'm so fired up for the Toronto show!

(BTW- I have 2 extra pairs for the 7/23 show in TO. If interested, email me)
Old 06-11-07, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by dstrauss
Here's last night's setlist in Denver. Looks like it's a pretty standard setlist, at least in the early dates, not a lot of variety. I'll be seeing them a month from tonight in Tampa.

Message In A Bottle
Synchronicity II
Voices Inside My Head
Driven To Tears
Walking On The Moon
Truth Hits Everybody
De Do Do Do De Da Da Da
Invisible Sun
Can't Stand Losing You
Roxanne
King Of Pain
So Lonely
Every Breath You Take
Next To You
Oh no! I just noticed "Murder By Numbers" isn't on this list... I'm really hoping to hear that one!
Old 06-13-07, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
A little article I found about the Police (there's a handful of pics through the years as well)..

http://music.msn.com/music/features/...ice?GT1=10095&

ICON
The Police (A Defense)
By Michael Shilling, Special to MSN Music

The Police are easy to mock. In the nearly 25 years that have elapsed since they ruled the pop-music world, their sound has not come back in fashion, their imperial attitude has not achieved any retrospective tongue-in-cheek patina and their band leader, Sting, is one of the more universally reviled celebrities. Want to make friends at a party? Make fun of Sting. Of course, there's a reason why the Police were the biggest band in the world in the mid-'80s, and it wasn't just Sting's Adonis-like beauty (though that didn't hurt). Their music was, and remains, a fine combination of tension and fluidity that countered shades of reggae, punk and dance-hall with ferocious, polyrhythmic drumming, lush guitar work and melodies as complex as they were catchy. They're back now, on tour for the first time since 1984, which creates a perfect occasion to recount the history of a band that, despite what most would say, more than deserves icon status.

Underwriting the uniqueness of the Police is the fact that they shouldn't have ever happened. In 1977, Sting, neé Gordon Sumner, was a schoolteacher and played in a jazz-pop band called Last Exit. Andy Summers, already nearing 40, had made a career as a journeyman guitar wizard, hired to bring technical ballast to acts such as the Animals, Joan Armatrading and Neil Sedaka. Stewart Copeland had formerly played in Curved Air, an old-school prog-rock band that was the very musical opposite of the Police. Such differences often have a way of creating a distinct identity.

All well and good. But when the band formed in summer 1977, they had no label, no connections and no street cred. They were considered, by the ruling bands of the day, to be complete poseurs; it didn't help that they'd dyed their hair blond and appeared as "punk rockers" in a Wrigley's gum commercial. However, on the strength of a little song called "Roxanne," the band signed to A&M Records, which released their maiden offering, "Outlandos d'Amour," in November 1978. Initially, the album tanked, thanks to the subject matter -- prostitution and suicide -- of the two singles, "Roxanne" and "Can't Stand Losing You." Once the band hit American shores, though, and started the first of numerous exhaustive tours, their fortunes turned around. Onstage, they had a propulsive energy and some very nonpunk chops that translated into blowing just about everyone off the stage -- not to mention that in 1979, Sting was about the best-looking person on the planet, possessed unnerving onstage charisma and, most importantly, could really sing.

"Outlandos" ended up selling fairly well, but the band's second record, "Regatta de Blanc," catapulted them to stardom in England. Released in October 1979, and featuring two of their trademark tracks -- "Message in a Bottle" and "Walking on the Moon" -- "Regatta" displayed confidence, versatility and some of the finest pop hooks this side of "Hey Jude." On "Regatta," the Police found their trademark sound, one that can be heard across a wide swath of the pop spectrum, from Sublime to Fishbone to John Mayer. Sting nailed a certain kind of angry-pop balladeer persona, Summers mastered the burgeoning technology of guitar pedals and Copeland played the drums with a wicked fluidity, so deft and original that no one noticed -- and nor did it matter -- what a complete overplayer he was.

The band's next record, "Zenyatta Mondatta," further refined this sound -- though the band regarded it as a retread, cobbled together in a few weeks in-between endless touring. Sting in particular thought "Zenyatta" weak, though he also said it was the last Police record made as a band, with everyone chipping in. Regardless of their misgivings, "Zenyatta" broke the band in America with the hit singles "Don't Stand So Close to Me" and "De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da." After spending most of 1980 on the road, the three took a well-deserved break, reconvening in summer 1981 to record what may be the strangest hit record ever, "Ghost in the Machine." Release in late 1981, "Ghost" is a swirling cascade of multi-multi-multi-tracked voices, ringing saxophones, heavy-wash synthesizer and, like all Police records, killer hooks. Songs concern the last person on earth ("Omegaman"), violence in Northern Ireland ("Invisible Sun") and something about spirits in the material world. It had no precedent and has no inheritors; no one ever says, "Yeah, that record sounds like 'Ghost in the Machine.'" Regardless, its success made megastars out of the Police and established Sting as the A-1 pinup pop idol of the early 80s.

Though it seemed impossible that the band could get any bigger, on their fifth and final record, "Synchronicity," they did just that. Released in June 1983 and featuring a refined version of the pop cacophony found on "Ghosts," "Synchronicity" put the Police at Beatles-level popularity, best exemplified by their sellout of Shea Stadium. In America, "Every Breath You Take" was the No. 1 single for almost three straight months; they were the Western ambassadors of cool, refinement and musical elegance, touring for close to a year to fan adulation and critical accolades. The band regrouped in 1986 to put together a greatest-hits record, with the idea that they would rerecord all their favorites, instead of just repackaging old material. But Sting, who'd become a superstar of his own with the fake-jazz-tinged "Dream of the Blue Turtles," wasn't into it. The band, with a new version of "Don't Stand So Close to Me," released "Every Breath You Take: The Singles" in late 1986 and that ... was ... it.

Until now. And of all the megabands that have reunited, somehow the Police doing so smacks the least of a cashing-in. Quite simply, no one, including Copeland and Summers, ever thought it would happen. So see them now if you can find a scalped ticket; it will probably be your only chance, and it will definitely be worth it. No band has ever so not deserved its reputation as rock-'n'-roll lightweights. No megastar act in the annals of pop history has ever been so underestimated.
Old 06-13-07, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^ Good article.

Sting is one of the more universally reviled celebrities
Really?
Old 06-13-07, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

FYI they are on the cover of the new issue of Rolling Stone out this week.
Old 06-15-07, 08:28 PM
Suspended

Vegas tonight. Leaving in a bit for it.

E
Old 06-16-07, 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by dstrauss

Message In A Bottle
Synchronicity II
Voices Inside My Head
Driven To Tears
Walking On The Moon
Truth Hits Everybody
De Do Do Do De Da Da Da
Invisible Sun
Can't Stand Losing You
Roxanne
King Of Pain
So Lonely
Every Breath You Take
Next To You
Just came back from the Vegas show. I think it's exactly the same setlist. I thought they were great. I never really appreciated Stewart's drumming, but he was fabulous. Andy is not a dynamic guitarist, but he did mix up some of the songs with new guitar solos that made them more interesting (So Lonely and Invisable Sun come to mind). They were pretty tight on most songs, but Spirits In The Material World sounded unusually ragged. Most songs were largely unchanged, but those that were altered made for a confused fan sing along : Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic was slowed down quite a bit and Don't Stand So Close To Me was at a tempo somewhere between the original and '86 (Don't Stand So Close To Me '82?). Sting amazingly can still hit all the high notes and looks at least ten years younger than his bandmates. Overall very enjoyable show and well worth the $$$. A guy behind me in line said he saw the Oakland show a few days ago and this one killed it. Hope they've found their groove and keep it up. Those who have tix for later shows : enjoy!
Old 06-16-07, 06:08 AM
Mod Emeritus

Sting is a year older than one and nine years younger than another

Andy Summers born 31 December 1942; Gordon Sumner born 2 October 1951; Stuart Copland born July 16, 1952.

Someone didn't enjoy the show!

http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_6138898?
Old 06-16-07, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by benedict
Andy Summers born 31 December 1942; Gordon Sumner born 2 October 1951; Stuart Copland born July 16, 1952.
Well that's why he looks so much younger than Andy on stage, though I'm sure that Andy's paunch and Sting's yoga-inhanced muscle-bound physique had something to do with it.
Someone didn't enjoy the show!

http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_6138898?
Whoa! Well, as I posted, I spoke to a guy who said last night's show was much better than Oakland. I agree with what that critic said about changing up the tempos of familiar songs -- I'm not entirely sure they've been "Stingified", but it's hard to dance and sing with some of these songs if you have no clue about what tempo they're being played in.
And I always thought Driven To Tears was a very boring track. They should have replaced it with Canary In A Coal Mine, Man In A Suitcase, Fallout or Sally (Be My Girl) instead. Their version of When The World Is Running Down was very similar to the one on Bring On The Night, (but without a sax, obviously) -- I like it on the album and I liked it last night.
Old 06-22-07, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 123 Posts
Saw them last night. They were filming for a "Motion Picture" and the nice thing was a big camera was in our seats and we got moved a bit closer. (We had good seats to begin with)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.