Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

I'm addicted to Siouxsie And The Banshees

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-07, 10:09 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't know what made me relisten to Siouxsie and the Banshees two months ago. Maybe it was just idly flipping through playlists on my ipod and coming upon "Happy House." But whatever it was, I suddenly decided that best of I had been listening to for years was simply not enough, so that day I went to Amoeba records and picked up Juju, Hyaena, and Through The Looking Glass. And that was it. Since then, I must have listened to both Juju and Hyaena about 100 times each, and I also picked up the deluxe edition of The Scream, the remastered Kaleidoscope, A Kiss In The Dream House, Tinderbox, and Peep Show. I've got the redone remasters of Join Hands, Kaleidoscope, and Juju on pre-order at Amazon UK. I can't stop listening to them. The music is hypnotically addicting. Anyone else here big Siouxsie And The Banshees fans?
Old 01-13-07, 10:27 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm a neophyte when it comes to Siouxsie and the Banshees, but I do own the "Kiss Them For Me" maxi-single (one of the best songs of the '90s), and am amazed that the B-sides (Staring Back/Return) are every bit as phenomenal as the title track. I also love the song "Peek-a-Boo" and am amazed at how good their performance of The Beatles' "Dear Prudence" is (virtually no one can do Beatles' songs justice, IMO). All this said, however, I can't abide the song they did for BATMAN RETURNS.
Old 01-13-07, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

As a big New Wave fan, it's nice to see some of you whippersnappers finally catching on.
Old 01-13-07, 10:36 PM
Banned by request

Actually, I've been a New Wave fan for years, No Wave as well. Got every Cure album, every Wire album, Devo, Blondie, Gary Numan, Talking Heads, XTC, etc. etc. For some reason, even knowing that Robert Smith played with them, I just didn't get in to Siouxsie And The Banshees like I should have before. But tracks like Swimming Horses and Head Cut just get right under my skin. I actually went over to Steven Severin's website and looked around. Someone on his forum said that Juju changed them "on a cellular level." I almost feel like that. I can't think of an artist I have been so gung ho into since David Bowie or The Boredoms.
Old 01-13-07, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't go cold turkey, here's some methadone:

Old 01-13-07, 10:46 PM
Banned by request

I've got the first three. Never got to into Bauhaus, but I'll have to try them again. Haven't heard the other two. For my money, though, the ultimate Cure albums are The Head On The Door and Disintegration.

By the way, I don't know if anyone else noticed, but the Banshees live performance Nocturne, with Robert Smith on guitar, is coming out on DVD Tuesday. It's got a 5.1 mix. I've got it pre-ordered.
Old 01-13-07, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm a longtime Siouxsie & the Banshees fan (well, I've been a fan since Superstition and thus missed the bulk of their career, but I'm a longer time fan than you )

From '92 on I collected all their albums. Enjoy Juju, that's them at their best, IMO. Recently, they've released a boxset of their b-sides called Downside-Up which is pretty compressive. It has the two song Staring Back/Return, which Filmmaker is correct in calling phenomenal- plus it of course has much, much more. Also, there's the new Voices in the Air: The Peel Sessions (import only) which completely makes my long out of print Peel Sessions CD obsolete.

Also you should be on the lookout for stuff by The Creatures- It's a side project by Siouxsie and Severin. A Bestiary Of..., Boomerang, Anima Animus and Hai! are the main albums to get under that name.

BTW, I'm still hoping for the day I can buy The Complete Video Collection on DVD to replace my VHS tape.
Old 01-13-07, 11:07 PM
Banned by request

A friend of mine got a hold of Boomerang and is going to send me a copy. I still need to get Downside Up. I knew I had honed in on something special when I put on Through The Looking Glass and the first track was "This Town Ain't Big Enough For The Both of Us." I'm a longtime Sparks fan so that made my day.
Old 01-14-07, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Siouxsie Sue and her Banshees is always a good listen
I dont' own any of the studio albums but do own the lovely Twice Upon a Time: The Singles
"Dazzle" always gives me the chills

don't know if you are a fan or not but I highly recommend "Heaven Or Las Vegas" by the Cocteau Twins
Old 01-14-07, 02:49 AM

SatB are one of my all-time favorite bands. Peepshow is pretty much a perfect album. Boomerang (by The Creatures) is also excellent, and the collaboration between Severin and Robert Smith--The Glove (album: Blue Sunshine)--resulted in a damn fine album as well. I see it's been rereleased with a second disc containing Robert Smith vocals on all the tracks... might have to pick that up.

I don't have Downside Up yet, but I have a couple dozen songs from it--painstakingly acquired way back in the olden days when Napster ruled the file-sharing roost and NOBODY had these songs except on vinyl--and it's well worth getting. They put out some excellent b-sides, many of which were better than some album tracks. Tracks like "Song from the Edge of the World," "Sleepwalking," "Something Blue," "Are You Still Dying, Darling?" and "Something Wicked This Way Comes" fully deserved to be on a real record. It's nice to see they finally did that.

FYI Tscott... The Creatures is a side project of Siouxsie and her man Budgie, not Severin. Still great stuff, of course. And as someone else noted, Cocteau Twins do indeed kick much ass.
Old 01-14-07, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by marginal
FYI Tscott... The Creatures is a side project of Siouxsie and her man Budgie, not Severin. Still great stuff, of course. And as someone else noted, Cocteau Twins do indeed kick much ass.
oops... it was late, I did a google search for Siouxsie and saw a page that read 'Siouxsie, The Creatures, Steven Severin' and mistook him for the other person of the duo.
Old 01-14-07, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Huge Siouxsie fan here. Check out the "Seven Year Itch" concert DVD from a couple years ago. Her voice is a bit shot, but the band sounds fantastic, and it's a great sounding and looking widescreen DVD.

Icons:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=hEzmVe20P3Q

Old 01-14-07, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts
I'm also fan of the band. I have the live concert Nocturne on DVD so I can now replaced my old VHS copy. I kind of disappointed that the song lists is the same on the VHS so I was hoping that maybe the song lists on the CD version would be on the DVD. The DVD does included the Play at Home tv special, a promo of Dear Prudence and tv performances on a couple of songs. So I'm pretty happy on the set.
Old 01-14-07, 12:46 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by marginal
SatB are one of my all-time favorite bands. Peepshow is pretty much a perfect album. Boomerang (by The Creatures) is also excellent, and the collaboration between Severin and Robert Smith--The Glove (album: Blue Sunshine)--resulted in a damn fine album as well. I see it's been rereleased with a second disc containing Robert Smith vocals on all the tracks... might have to pick that up.

I don't have Downside Up yet, but I have a couple dozen songs from it--painstakingly acquired way back in the olden days when Napster ruled the file-sharing roost and NOBODY had these songs except on vinyl--and it's well worth getting. They put out some excellent b-sides, many of which were better than some album tracks. Tracks like "Song from the Edge of the World," "Sleepwalking," "Something Blue," "Are You Still Dying, Darling?" and "Something Wicked This Way Comes" fully deserved to be on a real record. It's nice to see they finally did that.

I got that reissued Glove album, and it kicks all kind of ass.

And Downside Up is my next big purchase, for sure.
Old 01-15-07, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I always have has a soft spot for "Tinderbox" as it was the first Sioxsie cassette I purchased (and from Tower Sunset, to boot). After I acquired their whole catalog, I think "Kiss in the Dreamhouse" and "Juju" are their best efforts. I still need to pick up the B-sides collection, so I'll be on the lookout for it.
Old 01-15-07, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,204 Likes on 1,507 Posts
Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I've got the first three. Never got to into Bauhaus, but I'll have to try them again. Haven't heard the other two. For my money, though, the ultimate Cure albums are The Head On The Door and Disintegration.

By the way, I don't know if anyone else noticed, but the Banshees live performance Nocturne, with Robert Smith on guitar, is coming out on DVD Tuesday. It's got a 5.1 mix. I've got it pre-ordered.
I've tried to get into Bauhaus, but other than a couple songs, I just can't get into them. Strong agreement on those two Cure albums, they are my favourites. I'm glad that Nocturne is out on DVD now. I used to have the VHS, but sold it (for a good amount of money) on ebay several years back. I kind of regretted selling it, so I'm glad it's finally on DVD.
Old 01-15-07, 01:19 PM
Banned by request

Actually, Nocturne just shipped today. I got Downside Up last night, but haven't had a chance to listen to it yet.
Old 01-16-07, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've been revisiting a lot of my 80s music as well and Siouxsie is on the top of the list. I love her cover of "Dear Prudence". I also love me some "Hong Kong Garden" and "Christine". Additionally, I've been listening to The Jesus and Mary Chain, early Bangles (before all that Manic Monday bullshit), The Cramps, and The Go-Go's.
Old 01-16-07, 07:46 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
So, how do you guys feel about bands like The Fall, The Teardrop Explodes, The Chameleons, and The Mekons?

As you can tell, I'm more of a northern Britain type of guy.
Old 01-16-07, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wendersfan: The British bands I dig are: The Charlatans, Ride, The Stone Roses, Lush, The Darling Buds, Curve, My Bloody Valentine, early Blur, The Primitives, early Fuzzbox, Elastica, Chapterhouse, The Dylans, The Mock Turtles...
Old 01-16-07, 01:48 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by wendersfan
So, how do you guys feel about bands like The Fall, The Teardrop Explodes, The Chameleons, and The Mekons?

I've got a ton of Fall albums. I've heard of The Mekons, but haven't heard them, and the other two I haven't heard.
Old 01-16-07, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by wendersfan

tearddrop explodes, although i'm not always in the mood for them. they're not quite like anything else i've listened/i listen to!
Old 01-16-07, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Fall are one of those bands that I've always been meaning to explore more. I've got The Infotainment Scan, and their B-sides collection which I really like (especially Cruiser's Creek and Dead Beat Descendant), and I love their cover of "Victoria". I should definitely look into them more.

I'm also a HUGE Echo and the Bunnymen fan, and am equally as fond of Ian McCulloch's solo albums, Candleland, Mysterio and Slideling. I've been listening to these a lot lately. He might be my all-time favorite as far as his voice, delivery, lyrics and songwriting.

Anybody else into New Model Army? I've seen them more than any other band-- 5 times. I think Justin Sullivan is just a brilliant, poignant song-writer who can do everything from achingly sad and touching folky acoustic songs, to total kick-ass goth/punk rockers, to straight ahead Thin Lizzy-type rock. Awesome live performer.

edit: Hey, how can we have a new-wave thread without atlantamoi?

Last edited by Ky-Fi; 01-16-07 at 08:27 PM.
Old 01-17-07, 12:11 AM
Banned by request

I love Echo And The Bunnymen. I must have listened to Porcupine 20 times when Rhino did the reissue. I should check out New Model Army.
Old 01-17-07, 09:38 PM
Banned by request

Nocturne arrived on DVD today. The image quality isn't the best, but it's still a treat to have this on DVD at all. It's also got some good extras with performances by The Creatures and The Glove.

Edit: Actually, the image isn't as bad as I thought it would be. And the performances are incredible. Siouxie's voice is utterly stellar.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.