Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Police reunion rumors heating up!

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 01-03-07, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From Billboard.com
Rumors are swirling that the Police will reunite for 2007 dates in England and the United States, which would be the legendary trio's first since disbanding in 1986. Sources tell Billboard.com the reports are legitimate but would not publicly comment until final details are nearer to completion.

This year marks the 30th anniversary of the release of "Roxanne," the single that broke the Police in the United States. "Discussions have been underway as to how this will be commemorated," reads a post on Sting's Web site attributed to an A&M spokesperson. "While we can confirm that there will indeed be something special done to mark the occasion, the depth of the band's involvement still remains undetermined."

Sources say in addition to DVD releases, A&M is planning another multi-disc collection in the vein of 1993's "Message in a Box," which featured the band's complete studio recordings and a handful of rarities.

A Police reunion has been the concert industry's dream for two decades, as it is believed the band could play stadiums internationally should it choose to reunite. But besides an impromptu set at Sting's 1992 wedding to Trudie Styler, the Police's only other post-breakup performance was in celebration of its 2003 induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
Old 01-04-07, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'll still believe it when I see it, but it'd be great! I'm sure I couldn't afford the concert tickets though. What would really be interesting is new material.
Old 01-04-07, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Footage from the 2003 reunion:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLbD49lWTGs - Every Breath You Take
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2XW_6tcJ4Q - Message in a Bottle

I would definitely go see this, but I'd be surprised if it actually happened.

Sidenote: all three guys look great for their age, huh? It looks like 1981 up there.
Old 01-04-07, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

AWESOME news
Old 01-04-07, 07:35 PM
Banned

If it happens, I am SOOO there!
Old 01-04-07, 07:44 PM
Banned

Sting should do it.
We have all have had enough of his solo music for 20 years with nothing coming close to being as good with the Police.
Old 01-04-07, 09:09 PM

Concerts suck these days, they are overpriced and stadiums suck, so no Police shows for me even if they do it. I would love to hear a new album though (although Sting seems to have lost it unfortunately...)
Old 01-04-07, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 2,884 Likes on 1,896 Posts
I'll be there with bells on. One of my biggest regrets is that I passed on a chance to see The Police on the Synchronicity tour with all my friends since I hate stadium tours. Would love to finally make up for that.
Old 01-05-07, 03:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

With that tantra crap, Sting can probably do a 9-10/hr set and still have the energy to do an encore.
Old 01-05-07, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wow, lots of hate for Sting around here!
Old 01-05-07, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by reverie
I'm just as big a fan of Sting solo (well, not that lute crap) as The Police.

I think it's time he got back to his musical roots though. I've seen him in concert about 5 times and I think, by far, the best one was the last in which it was just a couple guitars and drums (ala The Police).
Old 01-05-07, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Chew
I think it's time he got back to his musical roots though. I've seen him in concert about 5 times and I think, by far, the best one was the last in which it was just a couple guitars and drums (ala The Police).
I could have had tickets to go see that.. a friend had purchased them for a wedding gift, but my family was going to be in town at the time. I'd have loved to have seen that!

I still haven't picked up Sting's last album,and the one previous to that was mediocre.. but "Mercury Falling" was among his best work in my opinion.

I have an Andy cassette tape, and Animal Logic is as close as anything with Stewart I've got. It'd be great to hear what they'd produce these days with the two of them pushing Sting to play faster now. That said, no doubt if they get back together, it'll end in flames once more!
Old 01-05-07, 10:36 AM

Received 159 Likes on 115 Posts
I saw them a quarter century ago, so, thanks but no thanks.
Old 01-05-07, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If this is accompnaied by new material, great, but if it's just a cash-in tour, forget it.

Someone needs to break Sting's lute and use it as kindling to light a fire under his ass.
Old 01-05-07, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Saw 'em in '81 and '83. I'd only go today if I got some cheapo price on tickets. They were great, but why do it again? plus Sting sucks today
Old 01-05-07, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by reverie
I dig his first two solo albums a lot, especially the first one.
Haven't heard Soul Cages either, but the stuff after that...meh.
Old 01-05-07, 04:30 PM

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts
I saw Sting ~15 years ago, and it was a great show. I'd gladly hand over big bucks for a Police reunion.
Old 01-05-07, 05:03 PM

First Genesis, now possibly The Police. I say if these guys wanna tour, all the power to them. You don't have to go to the show, but there is going to be plenty of people who either never got to see them because maybe they never played in a close enough venue, or in my case, I was too young. I will gladly go to both if prices are somewhat reasonable and within a reasonable travel distance. Once these guys are gone, they're gone for good, I say if you like a band enough, take every opportunity to see them in action.
Old 01-06-07, 04:13 PM

Found this on Pollstar today.

Police Reunion Buzz Builds
Updated 01:36 PST Fri, Jan 05 2007
The rumor mill is cranked up to full volume on the subject of a long awaited Police reunion for 2007. According to the British tabloid press, the band is planning to reunite for a U.S. and U.K. tour to commemorate their 30th anniversary.
Of course, the tabloids also allege that rehearsal dates have been planned, tour dates are being finalized for May and June, and a formal announcement is looming.
Calls by Pollstar to various sources resulted in no new information or even confirmation of the rumors. However, the following nebulous message attributed to a spokesperson at Interscope Geffen A&M Records, the band's label, was posted January 3 on Sting's web site:
"As the 30th anniversary of the first Police single approaches, discussions have been underway as to how this will be commemorated. While we can confirm that there will indeed be something special done to mark the occasion, the depth of the band's involvement still remains undetermined."
Old 01-07-07, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If you're my age, no one's trying to sell you anything except life insurance, hardcore pharmaceutical drugs, the hole in the ground, and "The Best of Sting," and when someone comes up to you and hands you "The Best of Sting," you realize that basically, somehow you are dead.

-- Henry Rollins on turning 40

Even if it's just a cash-in nostalgia tour, I'll do my best to go. They're one of the few acts on my "I regret not going to see them" list.
Old 01-07-07, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was 5 years old in 1983, so I really didn't get a chance to see them when they were touring. I would buy tickets to this show in a heartbeat, I just want to see this band live one time in my life.
Old 01-07-07, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts
I'd walk through hell in a gasoline suit to see the reunited Police play again.
Old 01-07-07, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i def. would LOVE to see this..i was born in '85 so I never had the chance to see them...hopefully i can afford the overpriced upperdeck seats!!!!!!
Old 01-08-07, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by paulringodaman
...hopefully i can afford the overpriced upperdeck seats!!!!!!
I'm also crossing my fingers. From what I hear, this will be happening!
Old 01-09-07, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 101 Likes on 86 Posts
I was too young to see them before, but I doubt I could afford it now - it just wouldn't be practical (unfortunately).

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.