Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone here collect vinyl records?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Anyone here collect vinyl records?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-11, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts
Re: Anyone here collect vinyl records?

Originally Posted by macnorton
If anyone has suggestions for me, I would like to hear them. I am looking for something in the $300-$500 range.
At the upper end of your range, I can vouch for the Music Hall MMF-2.2.
Old 01-07-11, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kefrank
At the upper end of your range, I can vouch for the Music Hall MMF-2.2.
That is one of the few I was actually looking at. I might have a winner here.

Any other details you can provide?
Old 01-07-11, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't subscribe to the theory that you should clean your stylus after every side, but stylus cleaning does not need to be time consuming, difficult, or expensive.

My ultra-cheap, but effective method is to use the Arm & Hammer Magic Eraser (I didn't come up with this myself - it's been recommended over at vinyl engine by many). Just cut a small square of the magic eraser to be your stylus cleaner. Do a couple of consecutive needle drops on the magic eraser and you're set. The key thing is just to ensure that the magic eraser remains as still as possible while dropping the needle. As with all turntable maintenance, it requires a certain level of care and deliberation.
Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it. I actually picked up the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser (original, which I had read is the only one to use) a few days ago, and I'll try it out this weekend.
Old 01-07-11, 04:48 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Just as an aside, this is a good place to buy hard-to-find vinyl:

http://www.musicstack.com/

You need to be just as careful buying from some of the sellers at MusicStack (the rating system there is effective and user-friendly) as you would be with Ebay, but I've purchased several hard-to-find LPs at MusicStack and I'm very pleased with the sellers I purchased from. -kd5-
Old 01-07-11, 10:40 PM

Musicstack is OK but I prefer GEMM.com . GEMM gives you a guarantee of your payment, Musicstack doesn't. GEMM handles and processes credit card and all payments securely, the seller doesn't get your credit card information. Musicstack saves your credit card information and gives it to each seller you order from for the seller to process your credit card information, and then Musicstack won't help you if you have a problem! Musicstack is risky, GEMM is safe. Big difference.
Old 01-08-11, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Yes! I collect vinyl records too but I'm trying not to let it grow to big for now..
This is a link to my humble collection I use Rate Your Music
http://rateyourmusic.com/collection/...ca50/oo,fmt.LP

And this is my turntable, my dad gave it to me a few years ago as a present along with a whole technics sound system
Old 01-10-11, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by macnorton
That is one of the few I was actually looking at. I might have a winner here.

Any other details you can provide?
Feel free to ask any questions you might have, but here are a few tips and tidbits:
-- I bought mine from LPGear, as they include their own improved stylus for the stock cartridge (even if you don't hear a difference from stock, you're getting a replacement stylus for free) and they have pretty great service for an online retailer

-- If you ever plan on changing from the stock cartridge, you will want to check the weight of the new cartridge you're considering, as it may require you to also purchase the optional heavier counterweight

-- Also, the tonearm wires are extremely fragile, so if you ever change the cartridge, be VERY careful when connecting and disconnecting the wires

-- Out-of-the-box, the MMF-2.2 is fantastic! But there are also a number of worthwhile upgrades that you can do over time if you get the bug, including: The Pro-ject Speedbox II which provides better pitch stability and the convenience of changing from 33 to 45 at the touch of a button, replacing the stock mat with a better one, replacing the whole platter with the Pro-ject Acryl-it platter (sans mat), using a record clamp, etc.

I run my MMF-2.2 with an Audio Technica AT120E cartridge, the aforementioned Speedbox, the LPGear Z-Mat, and the Souther Clever Clamp.
Old 01-10-11, 11:38 AM

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"

Feel free to ask any questions you might have, but here are a few tips and tidbits:
-- I bought mine from LPGear, as they include their own improved stylus for the stock cartridge (even if you don't hear a difference from stock, you're getting a replacement stylus for free) and they have pretty great service for an online retailer

-- If you ever plan on changing from the stock cartridge, you will want to check the weight of the new cartridge you're considering, as it may require you to also purchase the optional heavier counterweight

-- Also, the tonearm wires are extremely fragile, so if you ever change the cartridge, be VERY careful when connecting and disconnecting the wires

-- Out-of-the-box, the MMF-2.2 is fantastic! But there are also a number of worthwhile upgrades that you can do over time if you get the bug, including: The Pro-ject Speedbox II which provides better pitch stability and the convenience of changing from 33 to 45 at the touch of a button, replacing the stock mat with a better one, replacing the whole platter with the Pro-ject Acryl-it platter (sans mat), using a record clamp, etc.

I run my MMF-2.2 with an Audio Technica AT120E cartridge, the aforementioned Speedbox, the LPGear Z-Mat, and the Souther Clever Clamp.
That actually answered all the questions I would have had anyways. Thanks! I am going to give this one a serious look now.
Old 01-10-11, 03:24 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by nando820
Yes! I collect vinyl records too but I'm trying not to let it grow to big for now..
This is a link to my humble collection I use Rate Your Music
http://rateyourmusic.com/collection/...ca50/oo,fmt.LP

And this is my turntable, my dad gave it to me a few years ago as a present along with a whole technics sound system
Nice. I managed to get a Technics SL-1800 from the late 70's in the original box off of a guy on ebay who was liquidating his vinyl collection. Awesome direct drive turntable. Spent a little money fixing it up and now it plays like a dream.
Old 01-10-11, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by kd5
Just as an aside, this is a good place to buy hard-to-find vinyl:

http://www.musicstack.com/

You need to be just as careful buying from some of the sellers at MusicStack (the rating system there is effective and user-friendly) as you would be with Ebay, but I've purchased several hard-to-find LPs at MusicStack and I'm very pleased with the sellers I purchased from. -kd5-
Gemm.com is a good one as well, I have found some fairly hard to find records there at reasonable prices.
Old 01-28-11, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Listening to the recently re-released "Tomorrow the Green Grass" by The Jayhawks, and it just sounds amazing on vinyl. This album was a staple of my teenage/early 20s, and it's really making me happy to listen to it again.
Old 11-22-11, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's been almost a year since the above post. Lots of money later, I now have hundreds of LPs. I love vinyl, but damn...my wallet wishes that I didn't have to find a new hobby.
Old 11-27-11, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Record Store Day Jr. was this past weekend. Picked up a couple of exclusives including The Beatles set, Petty live, Chris Cornell, Soundgarden and a couple I have been delaying like The Horrible Crows and the Foo Fighters live.

Much less spent than at the real Record Store Day (Sr.) back in april.
Old 12-01-11, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Picked up the Bob Dylan singles set. Also ordered the red vinyl Wilco release that apparently were all bought to be immediately placed on eBay.
Old 12-06-11, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by CRM114
Picked up the Bob Dylan singles set. Also ordered the red vinyl Wilco release that apparently were all bought to be immediately placed on eBay.
I thought about trying for the Dylan set, but decided that I didn't want to bother with my local shop and all the eBay flippers that show up.
Old 06-25-12, 03:49 PM

I remember buying some vinyl from Hot Topic back in high school...never really thought it'd be much more than some cool collector item. Had gotten a few freebies from local record stores too.

My GF last December was going to buy me a record player for Christmas, but she didn't know everything that would have to go into it so she didn't end up getting me that.

Today, I preordered a couple of vinyls that Ghostly International put out, and now I'm in the market for a record player. I must have one!
Old 06-26-12, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 913 Likes on 555 Posts

My wife got me this one for Christmas last year...pretty sweet turntable:

http://www.needledoctor.com/Pro-Ject...=2&category=46
Old 06-27-12, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Moopher
I remember buying some vinyl from Hot Topic back in high school...never really thought it'd be much more than some cool collector item. Had gotten a few freebies from local record stores too.

My GF last December was going to buy me a record player for Christmas, but she didn't know everything that would have to go into it so she didn't end up getting me that.
If you do end up getting a turntable, make sure you have an amplifier that has PHONO inputs - thus indicating it has a built in pre-amp required for the amp to get the proper sound out of your record player. If it doesn't, you'll also need to get a external Phono Pre-amp to be able to use it with most of today's amplifiers, since most made in the last decade or so stopped having them as a built in feature after vinyl first went bye-bye (for the most part).

Today, I preordered a couple of vinyls that Ghostly International put out, and now I'm in the market for a record player. I must have one!
Also, and pardon me for being a bit of a dick here, but you may want to get your lingo straight. It's just plain VINYL. No extra plural "s" needed, as the word has a dual plural meaning. (Like the word paint, or grass. You wouldn't say - "I'm going to buy some paints", or "I'm going to cut the grasses". Would you?) You can call it Vinyl, LPs, records, record albums or some combination of those words - but there is no such thing as "vinyls". Again, my appologies, but it just burns my ass when I see people use that non-existent term.

Otherwise, enjoy your new collecting and music listening experience.
Old 06-27-12, 01:37 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I just sold off all my VINYLS so now I am selling my Technics SLBD20D turntable. Original owner. Original box & manual as well as extra original Technics rubber mat, extra 45 adapter, extra original dust cover and extra needle/cartridge included. Pristine condition. PM me an offer.
Old 06-27-12, 04:52 PM

Saying vinyls is like saying mooses, sheeps, or deers.

You sound stupid when you do it.
Old 06-27-12, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000
If you do end up getting a turntable, make sure you have an amplifier that has PHONO inputs - thus indicating it has a built in pre-amp required for the amp to get the proper sound out of your record player. If it doesn't, you'll also need to get a external Phono Pre-amp to be able to use it with most of today's amplifiers, since most made in the last decade or so stopped having them as a built in feature after vinyl first went bye-bye (for the most part).

Also, and pardon me for being a bit of a dick here, but you may want to get your lingo straight. It's just plain VINYL. No extra plural "s" needed, as the word has a dual plural meaning. (Like the word paint, or grass. You wouldn't say - "I'm going to buy some paints", or "I'm going to cut the grasses". Would you?) You can call it Vinyl, LPs, records, record albums or some combination of those words - but there is no such thing as "vinyls". Again, my appologies, but it just burns my ass when I see people use that non-existent term.

Otherwise, enjoy your new collecting and music listening experience.
Thanks, I appreciate it. It definitely sounds awkward saying, "I went out and bought a couple vinyl," sounds weird. I'm sure it doesn't matter too much anyway, since I don't know anyone outside of the internet who would touch a record anyway. Plus, I was high as fuck when I was posting yesterday, so that doesn't help.
Old 06-27-12, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by anomynous
Saying vinyls is like saying mooses, sheeps, or deers.

You sound stupid when you do it.
It also makes you sound stupid when you repeat something, in a less useful way.
Old 06-27-12, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by JZ1276
I just sold off all my VINYLS so now I am selling my Technics SLBD20D turntable. Original owner. Original box & manual as well as extra original Technics rubber mat, extra 45 adapter, extra original dust cover and extra needle/cartridge included. Pristine condition. PM me an offer.
I appreciate the offer, but I'm not in the market for one juuuust yet. Eventually I'll be there though.
Old 06-27-12, 05:28 PM

It also makes you sound stupid when you repeat something, in a less useful way.
Read the post above mine, in a more useful context.
Old 06-27-12, 05:40 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I appreciate the offer, but I'm not in the market for one juuuust yet. Eventually I'll be there though.
Well it wasnt specifically offered to you, but anyone.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.