Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Nickelback = boring and conservative

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Nickelback = boring and conservative

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-06, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by antennaball
In the future though, you probably shouldn't judge someone's lack of musical knowledge on one band.
Exactly. THAT is an elitist attitude.
Old 09-19-06, 06:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

the proof
Old 09-19-06, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
wow....just wow
Old 09-19-06, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mkdevo

Thats awsome.

Proof of what? That they use the same formula for two of their songs? It's called every band from 1955-1965.
Old 09-19-06, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by milo bloom
I've been waiting for this topic to come up in a way that I can contribute without threadcrapping. Everytime I hear (or hear about) Nickelback, for some reason I'm reminded of a band with a similar name that, IMHO, outclasses Nickelback six ways to Sunday: Nickel Creek. I mean, who else can do a song about Tom Bombadil that you don't need to be high to appreciate.

I just want to put that out there.

Nickel Creek

Nickelback

Nickelback = Pop rock band

Nickel Creek = Bluegrass band

How can you compare the two?

Yeah I can say Vivaldi is much better than AC/DC but the arguement would be a little bit rediculous.
Old 09-19-06, 01:21 PM
Cool New Member

NickleBack is a hella good band.
I just don't get people that got there snobbish nose stuck so far in the air they can't just accept that sometimes music doesn't have to be anything more then some good old rocknroll.

And who the hell is lableing Nickelback pop rock? WTF go listen to All the Right Reasons CD and not just the ballads that get air play.
They're a Rock band with some Hardrock/Metal Tunes alot of regular rock songs and some ballads. If you open your ears with out being so judgmental. songs like Side of a Bullet and Next Contestent and Animals are all very Classic Rock/metal styles of songs and are great fun to get pumped up to when ya need need it.

I just don't get why everyone has so much disdain for them cuz they're successful..they're successful cuz lots of people enjoy em..nothing wrong with that. Ironically isn't that the point..
Old 09-19-06, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Sorry, I'm just extremely protective of music. I've devoted every aspect of my life to it. I live in B.C, about an hour from Vancouver and I remember when Chad Kroeger used to play the local bar up here every month and people even laughed at them then. A person I play with is good freinds with the guitarist from T.o.a.d.m and he full out does not like what he does and only does it for the cash. Apparently Chad Kroeger also doesn't think very highly of what he does and just pumps out albums and songs for himself and other bands in the same formula so he can afford that nice mansion he owns in Abbotsford. That's the problem with bands like this. They don't give a shit about their fans and are laughing while people buy their albums knowing damn well there was no effort put into it.
Old 09-19-06, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by BloodyDrake
NickleBack is a hella good band.
I just don't get people that got there snobbish nose stuck so far in the air they can't just accept that sometimes music doesn't have to be anything more then some good old rocknroll.
Creed broke up so Nickleback took their crown of corporate rock whipping boy.
Old 09-19-06, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have all their albums, except their most recent, I think. (i say i think because I never really looked into it), but I think they are a band that I kinda liked initally and then started to loathe with each album after the inital one.
As of right now I dont care about them, I dislike every new song of theirs I have heard over the past few years, and I call this
"The Creed Syndrome" ...
Which means, 1st album garners fans , but albums after the first lose many original fans, but garners even more 'different fans'. Eventually it ends in a orgy of meaningless self absorbed lyrics and crappy music.

I for one never ever ever liked Creed, but I think alot of people could act similarly to Nickleback as they were to Creed.
Then again Creed had the one and only Scott Stapp, and Nickleback only has Chad Kreuger(?onspelling).
Chad doesnt have the uncanny egotistical self love that Scott did, so Maybe im wrong and Nickleback wont turn out like Creed, but anyways...I kinda miss Scott Stapp, I always had such fun watching his stupidity grow.

oh and if case anyone would wonder why I would buy their albums if I didnt like them, I bought every Nickleback album I have for no more than 3 dollars at the pawn shop.

Last edited by foofighters7; 09-19-06 at 01:35 PM.
Old 09-19-06, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cunger-- you and I aparently are on the same page. I guess I was typing my post while you posted. hehe
Old 09-19-06, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by freshticles
Sorry, I'm just extremely protective of music. I've devoted every aspect of my life to it. I live in B.C, about an hour from Vancouver and I remember when Chad Kroeger used to play the local bar up here every month and people even laughed at them then. A person I play with is good freinds with the guitarist from T.o.a.d.m and he full out does not like what he does and only does it for the cash. Apparently Chad Kroeger also doesn't think very highly of what he does and just pumps out albums and songs for himself and other bands in the same formula so he can afford that nice mansion he owns in Abbotsford. That's the problem with bands like this. They don't give a shit about their fans and are laughing while people buy their albums knowing damn well there was no effort put into it.
Give me a break. You don't create music without putting any effort into. Quit being so judgmental and presumptious.

You can say "people even laughed at them then", but I'd bet the people that were laughing aren't nearly as successful as the band has become.

Again, elitist attitudes.
Old 09-19-06, 01:39 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by zombiezilla
... I'm not a fan of their ballad-type-slow songs, but their heavy stuff is cool...
funny, I do like the ballad slow songs the heavier songs I don't care for.
Old 09-19-06, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm proud to admit that I'm a hair metal fan... Poison, Warrant, Cinderella, Dokken, Ratt and all the rest... yes I even like Winger, so I can hardly claim to be "elitist". In fact I can kind of relate to Nickleback fans when music snobs crap all over my favorite bands....

but wow, I just don't get Nickleback at all. How does crap like this get on the radio? Not just them but all the sound-alike bands where the guy sings in that annoying mumbling "eerrrr errrrr" Eddie Vedder/Creed type vocals... Staind, Seether, Shinedown, Chevelle, Audioslave and all the other bands on the radio... they are all so boring and dull.

I host Karaoke shows and hardly a night goes by without some dude singing that damn "How You Remind Me" by Nickleback "Yeah-errr Yeah-errr Noo Nooo-eerrr" and these guys think they are such good singers because they can go "eeeerrr errr"
Old 09-19-06, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by turborobb
I'm proud to admit that I'm a hair metal fan... Poison, Warrant, Cinderella, Dokken, Ratt and all the rest... yes I even like Winger, so I can hardly claim to be "elitist". In fact I can kind of relate to Nickleback fans when music snobs crap all over my favorite bands....

but wow, I just don't get Nickleback at all. How does crap like this get on the radio? Not just them but all the sound-alike bands where the guy sings in that annoying mumbling "eerrrr errrrr" Eddie Vedder/Creed type vocals... Staind, Seether, Shinedown, Chevelle, Audioslave and all the other bands on the radio... they are all so boring and dull.

I host Karaoke shows and hardly a night goes by without some dude singing that damn "How You Remind Me" by Nickleback "Yeah-errr Yeah-errr Noo Nooo-eerrr" and these guys think they are such good singers because they can go "eeeerrr errr"
I'm not calling your type of attitude elitist at all. What's elitist is when people go on a tangent saying "They don't have talent, they don't produce real music" and that's just BS, plain and simple. If they didn't have talent, they wouldn't have a record deal (though there are a few pop singers who are the exception to this rule), and it is music. Just because it's not music that you like doesn't mean it's not music.

I find generally that the elitist attitude comes from music snobs who only like Coldplay or indy music.
Old 09-19-06, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll bet you everything i own that you can create music with no effort and a basic template...

And about the elitist attitude thing...you cant create a case for it by saying

"If they didn't have talent, they wouldn't have a record deal (though there are a few pop singers who are the exception to this rule), "

....that's a contradicting statement to your argument...didn't you also say

"Just because it's not music that you like doesn't mean it's not music"

....geeze
Old 09-19-06, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Photograph might be the worst song in history.

How does it go again? "Look at this photograph, every time it makes me laugh......then I take a bath, and work on my math.....what a photograph."

Just straight crap.
Old 09-19-06, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess I like music with easy to understand lryics that I can relate to. But I guess that isn't being artistic enough for most people.
Old 09-19-06, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Originally Posted by Mopower
Nickelback = Pop rock band

Nickel Creek = Bluegrass band

How can you compare the two?

Yeah I can say Vivaldi is much better than AC/DC but the arguement would be a little bit rediculous.
I guess it could go for any popular pop/rock band of questionable talent, it's just the name similarities that get me in this case.

Originally Posted by Mopower
I guess I like music with easy to understand lryics that I can relate to. But I guess that isn't being artistic enough for most people.
And this one I don't get because it all sounds like "errr yerr errr errr" as turborobb pointed out.
Old 09-19-06, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by milo bloom

And this one I don't get because it all sounds like "errr yerr errr errr" as turborobb pointed out.

Still sounds better than the crap The Killers, or OK GO or The Strokes or any of that garage shit that passes for "good" music these days.
Old 09-19-06, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can't quit this guy...

"I find generally that the elitist attitude comes from music snobs who only like Coldplay or indy music."

Coldplay - a major label signed band
indy music - a generalized grouping for every band that's not on a major...

What makes Coldplay so special that they are enjoyed by elitists that only like indy bands?
Old 09-19-06, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What do you nickelback fans think of a band like radiohead?
Old 09-19-06, 07:40 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by bballing
What do you nickelback fans think of a band like radiohead?
radiohead are shite... (post 'OK Computer' that is)
Old 09-20-06, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
I heard that a while ago. It still cracks me up. I'd never heard a band plagiarise themselves like that before. Classic.
Old 09-20-06, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Sweet. I was going to request this be posted.
Old 09-20-06, 02:46 PM

Generally, if it's on the radio I'm not into it.

To me Brittany Spears (is she even relevant anymore?) and Nickleback fit into the same category (Maybe not musically but conceptually). The record label has a demographic they are out to get some money from and they find, or create, a product to sell them. That's how we end up with 20 bands on the radio that are almost indisguinsable from one another, and that goes for all formats.

I'll use the "McDonalds Hamburger" theory to explain my attitude towards popular music. We can all agree that McDonald’s hamburgers are bad. They are high in filler/fat, way to thin, and taste like crap. But for some reason McDonalds sells a ton of these things a day. Not because they are good but because there are about as many McDonalds as there are people in some areas.
Now, my Uncle Bill's hamburgers, on the other hand, are amazing. There all beef, thick and tasty. But for some reason nobody is knocking on his door to get some of his tasty burgers except for people who know.
McDonald's=Radio
McDonald's Burgers=Radio Music
My Uncle Bill= Small record labels (or something like that)
His burgers= Good Music

This is all just my opinion and it is not to say there aren't ANY bands on the radio that I enjoy.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.