Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Any love for John Mayer's Continuum?

Old 09-14-06, 01:56 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 264
Any love for John Mayer's Continuum?

Thought I might see a thread on this album but seems not... I think it's a pretty good album with a couple slow spots but some great tracks. Favourite track right now is Stop This Train, also really enjoying the cover of Hendrix's Bold As Love. Anyone else pick it up? Thoughts?
thismeansyou is offline  
Old 09-14-06, 07:22 AM
  #2  
JAA
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 1,143
I haven't picked up a copy yet, but I am reading (and hearing) nothing but raves about this release. Many calling it his best work BY FAR. We will see.
JAA is offline  
Old 09-14-06, 07:46 AM
  #3  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Hail to the Redskins!
Posts: 24,562
Originally Posted by JAA
I haven't picked up a copy yet, but I am reading (and hearing) nothing but raves about this release. Many calling it his best work BY FAR. We will see.
I've been a huge Mayer fan ever since I saw him in my university's chapel. I personally bought Inside Wants Out from him (well, it was a meet and greet, but still). I love John Mayer, and think he's a phenomenal talent.

However, I have no love for his new record. All of the energy is gone, replaced by chill mood music. There's no track like Neon, Clarity, even Come Back to Bed. It's just easy listening. The licks are still there, but it's a far cry from RFS or HT. If I was having a wine and cheese party, this is the record I'd play.
DVD Josh is offline  
Old 09-14-06, 12:21 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: London, Super England Land
Posts: 392
I really hope this doesn't come accross as a threadcrap, because it is not intended as such.

I'm a fan. I really enjoyed the first 2 albums, but there is something very... bland about this album. It's nothing that we haven't heard before from him, and listening to it, all I could think was ''Dido, Dido, Dido...''
vedderstapp is offline  
Old 09-14-06, 09:54 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,353
Think I played Heavier Things maybe five or six times before I got completely bored with it. After that, I pretty much got burned out in general on old John.

The new album, however, is the best thing I've heard from him since RFS. True, there may be a chill vibe to most of it - but I've enjoyed it more and more with each listen. It's made me give a damn about him again, I'll also say at least that much.
Rocketdog2000 is offline  
Old 09-16-06, 10:21 AM
  #6  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Posts: 8,467
I just heard his single today on that VH1 countdown show. As someone (see: not a huge fan) who has only heard him through his singles (videos/radio), this single, that I can't remember the name of, is the best I have heard from him.

The main thing I disliked about him in the past was the whole "breathy" deal he had. The "Daughters" and "Body...Wonderland" songs grated on my nerves because of that. However, he didn't sound like that in this single which is a big plus, personally. Not to mention it justs "feels" like a better song than the two previous mentioned.

Last edited by conscience; 09-16-06 at 10:23 AM.
conscience is offline  
Old 09-16-06, 01:49 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Hail to the Redskins!
Posts: 24,562
Originally Posted by conscience
I just heard his single today on that VH1 countdown show. As someone (see: not a huge fan) who has only heard him through his singles (videos/radio), this single, that I can't remember the name of, is the best I have heard from him.

The main thing I disliked about him in the past was the whole "breathy" deal he had. The "Daughters" and "Body...Wonderland" songs grated on my nerves because of that. However, he didn't sound like that in this single which is a big plus, personally. Not to mention it justs "feels" like a better song than the two previous mentioned.
To be fair, Daughers and Body is a Wonderland are not even remotely representative of his body of work.
DVD Josh is offline  
Old 09-16-06, 03:16 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Auburn, AL
Posts: 3,382
I've never had much of an interest in Mayer. I know that singles are not always the best way to judge an artist, but prior singles had turned me off, regardless. However, I've been hearing some stuff from this album on the radio and I like it. Very blue-sy. I may pick it up.
Tom Banjo is offline  
Old 09-16-06, 05:33 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Posts: 306
"Did anyone tell you this is John Mayer calling?"

Please tell me someone here knows where that's from.
Dan G is offline  
Old 09-16-06, 10:58 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Posts: 8,467
Originally Posted by DVD Josh
To be fair, Daughers and Body is a Wonderland are not even remotely representative of his body of work.

And to be fair, I did make a note that I had only heard of his singles.
conscience is offline  
Old 09-18-06, 10:10 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 1,555
I've got some great live concerts of Mayer and they are ALL amazing. This guy shines on stage. His studio stuff....eh....but his live stuff is spot on. In fact, I had no idea he was into the blues until I heard him live. He's got some decent skills and all I see is improvement. I'll be picking up the new CD.
C_Fletch is offline  
Old 09-21-06, 09:57 AM
  #12  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 3,702
Juts picked it up, I think the guys is extemely underrated as a writer and an artist, unfortunately hes got some of that lyle Lovett Julia Roberts thing going on, you forget, this guy has a boatload of talent, is a terrific songwriter and an excellent guitarist.

I plan on buying anything from him in the forseeable future
mphtrilogy is offline  
Old 09-21-06, 10:28 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Surrounded by idiots...
Posts: 6,991
I liked Room for Squares at the time. I never liked Heavier Things.

Continuum, however, I feel is one of the best albums I've heard in a long, long time. It'll be a classic in the years to come.
Toad is offline  
Old 09-22-06, 02:46 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Legend
 
spainlinx0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: NJ
Posts: 14,559
Originally Posted by Dango727
"Did anyone tell you this is John Mayer calling?"

Please tell me someone here knows where that's from.
Hey buddy, another Ron and Fez fan here. God that show is amazing.

Back on topic I have never purchased an album of his, but I did like the single, and am contemplating checking it out. Anywhere I can check it out legally and free, or should I just pick it up blind?
spainlinx0 is offline  
Old 09-22-06, 03:59 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Hail to the Redskins!
Posts: 24,562
Originally Posted by spainlinx0
Hey buddy, another Ron and Fez fan here. God that show is amazing.

Back on topic I have never purchased an album of his, but I did like the single, and am contemplating checking it out. Anywhere I can check it out legally and free, or should I just pick it up blind?
I believe that clearchannel is still streaming the album (with call out every 30 sec or so). Quality is pretty good.
DVD Josh is offline  
Old 09-24-06, 12:34 AM
  #16  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 264
Originally Posted by mphtrilogy
Juts picked it up, I think the guys is extemely underrated as a writer and an artist, unfortunately hes got some of that lyle Lovett Julia Roberts thing going on, you forget, this guy has a boatload of talent, is a terrific songwriter and an excellent guitarist.

I plan on buying anything from him in the forseeable future

John Mayer is one of the very very few artists whose material I always go and purchase whether or not I've heard it, and whose career I follow closely. I dunno why everyone wants so desperately to hate him though. I'd point to left field and say that his career will be longer and more profound than the vast majority of "way better" artists out there gettin love from the indie kids and all.
thismeansyou is offline  
Old 09-24-06, 07:13 AM
  #17  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Hail to the Redskins!
Posts: 24,562
Originally Posted by thismeansyou85
John Mayer is one of the very very few artists whose material I always go and purchase whether or not I've heard it, and whose career I follow closely. I dunno why everyone wants so desperately to hate him though. I'd point to left field and say that his career will be longer and more profound than the vast majority of "way better" artists out there gettin love from the indie kids and all.
Anyone who can pick up a guitar and make Neon come out of it has my vote.
DVD Josh is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.