Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Muse Supermassive Black Hole single released

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 05-09-06, 05:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone else heard this? if not prepare to be weirded out when you do. It's kind of a surprising direction for Muse, almost sounds like a glam electronic prince song with fuzz in it. I definately like it but it will take me getting to used to, I'm real interested to hear what direction they are going with the album now. Search around for it on the net, specifically in blogs, should be pretty easy to get, or you can buy a download of it of course.
Old 05-09-06, 06:32 PM

*COUGH*AHEM!*COUGH

This happy upbeat club track thing is really throwing me off. I hope this is not indicative of the new stuff on the album.

Hearing Muse on the dance floor =
Old 05-10-06, 03:09 AM

Woah...Wtf????
Old 05-24-06, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 284 Likes on 208 Posts
New MUSE

Thoughts on their new single "Supermassive Black Hole"? I think it's great. Totally different direction for the band. I can see where this first single will appeal to people outside of their fanbase. Although I can see where certain fans might hate the song. It's commercial sounding than anything they've done before (pop). Could even be considered a dance song. It'll probably do well on the dance charts. Huge fan so I can't wait for the album in July.
Old 05-24-06, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

chess sees post about new Muse album...eyebrows go up...reaches for wallet.
Old 05-24-06, 10:12 AM

posted an earlier thread
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=464877

I don't think the single is necessarily representative of the whole album, I think it will make more sense hearing it in context with other songs. As a single yeah it's kind of a direction change for them, not a huge fan of the song, but really interested in hearing the new album.
Old 05-24-06, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TripWire
posted an earlier thread
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=464877

I don't think the single is necessarily representative of the whole album, I think it will make more sense hearing it in context with other songs. As a single yeah it's kind of a direction change for them, not a huge fan of the song, but really interested in hearing the new album.

The DVDTalk search engine fails me again. Sorry, did not see this thread.

I agree, I don't think the whole album will sound like the first single. I'm glad they mixed it up a little though. Shows they have range. As they've shown with each album. But HOW can you top "Absolution"? I'm very anxious to find out. I will admit I was thrown the first time I heard "SBH". But it's a grower. The melodies (not the lead vocals) definitely have the Muse stamp.
Old 05-24-06, 11:35 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Public service announcement

[For some reason, as currently configured, the general search function seemingly will not find a word if it is only in the thread title. So, if your first search draws a blank, you may wish to try again using the dropdown option to search just the titles].
Old 05-24-06, 12:07 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
I soooo can't wait til the full length album...
Old 05-24-06, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've listened to the song a few times the past few hours, and although it's a bit of a departure from their recent sound, it straight-up fucking rocks.

Seriously.

...just wish I could crank it up in my office.
Old 05-24-06, 02:37 PM

here's a first listen description that I found of the album..

'Take A Bow'
Muse aren't starting things with a bang, or even a steady march. Instead they've plugged into an old Spectrum ZX and have gone retro computer-pop. Things all go a bit Queen, the entire universe seems to explode, and the lyrics get broody. "You'll burn in hell for your sins", apparently. Bloody hell!

'Starlight'
Funked up with handclaps, you'd be forgiven for choking on your digestive when we tell you that 'Starlight's hook line reminds us a bit of Coldplay. It's certainly not MOR, however; guitars come in, the wiggly beeps of 'Origin Of Symmetry' make a welcome return. It's bleedin' massive.

'Supermassive Black Hole'
Is this Millionaire? Muse turn space funk in their lead single. Already tearing up the airwaves, it sounds even more like the pure pop genius it undoubtedly is within the confines of the album. Hardcore fans scared off by the single take note: it'll all make sense when you hear it in context.

'Map Of The Problematique'
DIY is at war. Half of us think 'Map Of The Problematique' should be the new theme music to The Bill, the other half thinks it's The Clothes Show. Electro bass mixes with piano, layered harmonies and something close to Eurotrance to make something that, on first listen, is either madness or genius. The last ten seconds, however, could well be the best thing Muse have ever done. Honestly.

'Soldier's Poem'
The first quiet one proper, Matt goes crooner. Stripped down to some Twenties/Thirties style vibe, complete with ultrasonic, unnerving backing vocals, 'Soldier's Poem' probably wears a smoking jacket and scares small children at night. Genuinely haunting.

'Invincible'
If we said Bellamy had written a song based upon the last ten minutes of Robin Hood, Prince Of Thieves, you'd tell us we've gone mad. Our first thought? Will there be bagpipes. Seriously. There aren't, but we wouldn't have been surprised. An ethereal march and the odd floaty harmony sound like the myst clearing at the end of the battle that ends the world. We're talking epic here. There's chunky bits, lyrics that could be a paranoid Westlife if we didn't know better ("Together we're invincible"), and a bass line that sounds like 'Time Is Running Out' on a sugar rush at times. The fact it actually works is more remarkable than the lot.

'Assassin'
Knight Rider. It sounds like bloody Knight Rider, or at least for the first ten seconds. Then it all goes metal; massive riffs, harmonies that sound like Queen and a whole chorus of vocals combine to sound like Metallica going to the opera.

'Exo-Politics'
Remember the Franz Ferdinand comments? We'd assume this is what they're on about. Funked up, fuzzed out guitars pull out one of those arch art-rock riffs that have Kapranos all over them, albeit if he was covering 'On A Rope'. If it wasn't for the rubbish title, we'd say this was a nailed on single, but then it's not like that will stop Muse.

'City Of Delusion'
Spanish guitars make their first appearence, turn electric, are joined by an orchestra of strings and go post apocalyptic. The last flamenco at the end of time? Quite possibly.

'Hoodoo'
Certainly this album's 'Unintended', genetically spliced into a Mexican western, it's Zorro without any of the doughnuts. Crashing down by the end, it's understated, but really bloody good.

'Knights Of Cydonia'
At one point, Knights Of Cydonia reminds DIY of Erasure. Not for long mind, as monk like chanting and a falsetto that could deafen a dog at the other end of the earth kick in. Backed by a brass section and what sounds like a whole choir of battery operated Clangers, it's the first ever space western. A shootout at high noon between R2D2 and the Milkybar Kid, before the end it all cuts out and Muse go more Queen than ever before. An AC/DC sized riff arrives and the world promptly ends. Blimey!

'Black Holes And Revelations' is certainly an album, rather than a collection of songs. On the first listen it sounds impressive, but it'll take more than one to work out exactly how good it is. The biggest thing Muse have done to date, they're hiding from nobody. The signs look more than promising.
Old 05-24-06, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by chess
I've listened to the song a few times the past few hours, and although it's a bit of a departure from their recent sound, it straight-up fucking rocks.
that's what I was thinking too. I've listened to it about 10 times now over the past few days and it's really growing on me. Definitely different but still likin it. Can't wait to hear the rest of the album.
Old 05-24-06, 05:44 PM

I adore it. I was iffy on "Showbiz", but think that "Origin of Symmetry" is a fantastically bombastic masterpiece. Unfortunately, they started to lose me with the 'Dead Star'/'In Your World' single and totally lost me with "Absolution" - I don't know what it is about it, but I simply have no interest in it at all - so I was a little skeptical of a new one. But if this single is any indication, it's going to be massive. Or rather, supermassive I suppose.
Old 05-24-06, 05:55 PM

Funk? Pop? Eurotrance? Erasure??

That review really scares me.
Old 05-24-06, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SeekOnce
Funk? Pop? Eurotrance? Erasure??

That review really scares me.

The Erasure part scares me. Vince Clarke? Sure, the man is a musical genius. Singer Andy Bell? No thank you.
Old 05-24-06, 08:43 PM

To me dead star and in your world seem more like Origin of Symmetry than Absolution. I don't think Absolution was a total change or anything it was just simplified and less over the top, though I would still take Origin of Symmetry over it.
Old 05-25-06, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by TripWire
To me dead star and in your world seem more like Origin of Symmetry than Absolution. I don't think Absolution was a total change or anything it was just simplified and less over the top, though I would still take Origin of Symmetry over it.
I suppose technically 'Dead Star'/'In Your World' was kind of the end of "Origin of Symmetry", but to me it points to the direction they'd take with "Absolution", which I actually found to be more bombastic and over the top than "OoS" but without the tunes. Huge for the sake of being huge, and ridiculous without the musicianship to back it up. Incredibly disappointing.
Old 06-12-06, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ok...I just got their new cd Black Holes and Revelations...

so far...I'm really enjoying it.

The only one that is new and weird....is their first single Supermassive Black Hole, the rest go back to what they use to do.

My guess..is that the song Assasin will be the bigger hit...it sounds similar to their last few singles.
Old 06-12-06, 06:49 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

The only one that is new and weird....is their first single Supermassive Black Hole, the rest go back to what they use to do.
Thank god! My faith is restored in the world
Old 06-13-06, 12:04 AM

Heard 'Knights Of Cydonia' yesterday. And to me, it sounds like to belongs in a video game.

A space western video game.
Old 06-14-06, 10:53 AM

been listening to the album, it's quite conceptual..not much piano in it at all (if any) has a lot of that bliss synth arpeggiated lines in the background, not as riffy as the other albums, less crazy fuzzed out solos. I think map of the problematique is my favorite...lots of queen layered type vocals. this album isn't as radio friendly as absolution, so far so good though. Assasain has a pretty crazy uber metal hardcore intro. The last few songs have a big spanish vibe to them. Look around, you'll find the album..maybe by searching blogs.

Last edited by TripWire; 06-14-06 at 10:56 AM.
Old 06-15-06, 12:00 PM

Just so you know the tour goes presale today and onsale tomorrow for a lot of the cities...got 4 tickets to hammerstein pretty easily.

18-Jul San Francisco The Concourse
19-Jul Los Angeles Greek Theatre
21-Jul San Diego Soma
22-Jul Phoenix Celebrity Theatre
24-Jul Denver Fillmore
26-Jul Minneapolis State Theatre
27-Jul Chicago Aragon Ballroom
28-Jul Detroit State Theatre
30-Jul Toronto Docks Concert Hall
31-Jul Montreal Cartier Pier
2-Aug Boston Bank Of America Pavilion
3-Aug New York Hammerstein Ballroom
4-Aug Philadelphia Electric Factory
6-Aug Atlanta Tabernacle
Old 06-15-06, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Tickets go on sale at different times. Internet presale for Chicago starts tomorrow (Friday, June 16th). I'm going to try to get tickets, but Ticketmaster.com may have other plans....
Old 06-15-06, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Got tix for Phoenix. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 06-15-06, 09:57 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
why doesn't this surprise me in the slightest that the 9:30 Club here in DC couldn't book them - goddamnit.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.