Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

LaLa.com: CD swapping dirt cheap [part two]

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

LaLa.com: CD swapping dirt cheap [part two]

Old 08-10-06, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeremy517
You probably don't have the cookie set properly.

Yeah, I was having a problem with finding it. I have windows xp pro and can't seem to find what you mentioned. Also, I don't know what INI is, so that may be my problem (or part of it).
Old 08-10-06, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
The INI file is located in the same directory as the program itself. You can edit it with any text editor, like notepad. What web browser and operating system are you using?
Old 08-10-06, 11:00 AM

I'm on Windows XP Pro and use Internet Explorer. What I was able to find under cookies was this:default@lala[1]. So I'm not sure if I'm getting closer or not.
Old 08-10-06, 11:25 AM

in the lala watch I have the cookie setting listed as:
t=<t content>; a1=<a1 content>
Is that correct? I still have not been able to figure out what I need to do in the the documents and settings cookies folder. I found default@lala, but have no idea what to do from there. I am thinking this is all I'm missing. Do you think so?

the cookie setting I mentioned above did not appear here, probably cause content was surrounded by those 'less than greater than' symbols. Anyway, I think you know what I mean. Thanks again for your help with this.

Last edited by saoirse; 08-10-06 at 11:28 AM.
Old 08-10-06, 11:27 AM

No offense to Jeremy517 or anyone else, but for those of you having problems, check out the program LaLa user "jaquer" wrote - lalaNiNATOR. It does the same thing Jeremy517's does, but it's a bit simpler with the set-up and such. You just start it up and enter your user ID tag, pretty easy.
Here's the linky:
http://www.lala.com/frontend/action/...ken=4584@11206
Old 08-10-06, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Chucky
No offense to Jeremy517 or anyone else, but for those of you having problems, check out the program LaLa user "jaquer" wrote - lalaNiNATOR. It does the same thing Jeremy517's does, but it's a bit simpler with the set-up and such. You just start it up and enter your user ID tag, pretty easy.
Here's the linky:
http://www.lala.com/frontend/action/...ken=4584@11206
I was curious to check out the differences, but didn't hear a noise in lalaNiNATOR's program. Is there supposed to be one? I did get a pop up saying a CD was requested. Hearing a noise is preferrable to me if I had to choose one or the other. Also looks like lalaNiNATOR's program refreshes every 60 seconds (I think) and Jeremy's checks much more often.
Tell me if I'm wrong, though.

edit... Jeremy's DOES have a popup.

Last edited by atlantamoi; 08-10-06 at 01:27 PM.
Old 08-10-06, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I do a noise and a popup, with the noise being optional and the amount of noise being customizable. I can make the popup optional too if you want.

Last edited by Jeremy517; 08-10-06 at 01:42 PM.
Old 08-10-06, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by saoirse
in the lala watch I have the cookie setting listed as:
t=<t content>; a1=<a1 content>
Is that correct? I still have not been able to figure out what I need to do in the the documents and settings cookies folder. I found default@lala, but have no idea what to do from there. I am thinking this is all I'm missing. Do you think so?

the cookie setting I mentioned above did not appear here, probably cause content was surrounded by those 'less than greater than' symbols. Anyway, I think you know what I mean. Thanks again for your help with this.
Open the cookie file in wordpad instead of notepad (right click, choose open with, and choose wordpad. You'll see something like this:

t
BigLongStringOfNumbersAndLettersWhichProbablyEndsWith==
lala.com/
number
number
number
number
number
a1
AnotherBigLongStringOfNumbersAndLettersWhichProbablyEndsWith==
lala.com/
number
number
number
number
number
In this case, Your INI file would look like this:
Cookie=t=BigLongStringOfNumbersAndLettersWhichProbablyEndsWith==; a1=AnotherBigLongStringOfNumbersAndLettersWhichProbablyEndsWith==

all on one line.
Old 08-10-06, 01:54 PM

I just need someone to design a program that will stop me from going away from my computer for the two minutes that a CD is going to get requested! I swear, everytime I'm away from my desk, I come back and I've got a notification, but by the time I bring up LaLa, the request is gone!
Old 08-10-06, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Set the number of beeps and turn your volume up? I do that and then run as fast as i can when I hear the wonderful beep. Even without speakers, you'll still get system beeps.
Old 08-10-06, 02:35 PM

True Jeremy 517, That's an advantage to have a sound notification as well! I went ahead and installed your app to test it out, unfortunately I'm currently at Max CDs in Transit on LaLa, so I have to wait for something to be received before I can test it. Hopefully that will be happening any day now though.
Old 08-10-06, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Wow. Jeremy is a genius. I installed this on my computer at work and was able to confirm 10 discs since this morning. It has almost turned into a game. Your software will pull firefox up and so far there is usually only enough time to confirm one disc before the rest disappear. So it's a matter of scanning a list of 5-6 discs that are wanted and figuring out which is the worst one to get rid of in a split second.

I was able to dump a Color Me Badd cd. rotf Not sure if it's Mary since I have to confirm the envelope before seeing the name, but damn that would be funny if it was her.
Old 08-10-06, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Wow. Jeremy is a genius. I installed this on my computer at work and was able to confirm 10 discs since this morning. It has almost turned into a game. Your software will pull firefox up and so far there is usually only enough time to confirm one disc before the rest disappear. So it's a matter of scanning a list of 5-6 discs that are wanted and figuring out which is the worst one to get rid of in a split second.
I did the run to the computer dance a couple of hours ago FINALLY knowing that a bubble was waiting for me. I see five CDs and I'm so happy, but of course by the time I click on one they are all gone. I'm thinking that it could have been one person who could only receive one disc (at least I hope or I'll never be quick enough).
Old 08-10-06, 03:54 PM

Hi Jeremy. Thanks for your help. I sent you an email.
Old 08-10-06, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

YGM back.
Old 08-10-06, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
I kinda got it working except now every few seconds it pops up letting me know how many I can ship. How can I set it to where it only pops if there is a new "ship" notification.
Old 08-10-06, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cdollaz
I kinda got it working except now every few seconds it pops up letting me know how many I can ship. How can I set it to where it only pops if there is a new "ship" notification.
Use the Ship Threshold setting. If you can ship five now and want to know when there is a sixth, then set the ship threshold to 5.
Old 08-10-06, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
I did the run to the computer dance a couple of hours ago FINALLY knowing that a bubble was waiting for me. I see five CDs and I'm so happy, but of course by the time I click on one they are all gone. I'm thinking that it could have been one person who could only receive one disc (at least I hope or I'll never be quick enough).
I think it is that they just get confirmed so quick that you only have time for one.
Old 08-10-06, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think it is that they just get confirmed so quick that you only have time for one.
I think it is both. Yesterday, I went from 0 to 5 being able to be shipped. I shipped the first, and naturally the other four were gone. But a short while later, I given the option to ship the other four again and was able to get one. Then again with a third one of the five a short while after that.

BTW, I think Mary is a rip-n-shipper, and that is why she is able to receive so many.
Old 08-10-06, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Except I actually got in zero, but you are right that this happens a lot.

My last comment to Jeremy, but I really want to thank you again. I just shipped off two discs after a full week of nothing. I would have missed these CDs w/out the noise I just heard.
Old 08-10-06, 05:32 PM

Thanks to the Genius Jeremy

I just wanted to thank you here also. Jeremy spent a lot of time helping me figure this out. With various emails going back and forth, he was able to help my ignant ass out. It's nice to know there are still some selfless people around. Thanks again Jeremy.
Old 08-10-06, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The problem, in case anyone else runs into it, is that there is no a1 value in your cookie when you choose to have LaLa not remember you. Also, if you choose to have LaLa not remember you, when you can ship a CD, your browser won't be able to go right to the Have List, because LaLa will require you to log on.
Old 08-10-06, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
Agreed. Thanks for the time and letting us in on this. Good stuff.
Old 08-10-06, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

My problem was I was going to the "cookies" option in the browser which shows you values for t & a1, but apparently they were different values than what is held in the actual cookie.txt file. Once I figured that out I was good as gold.

I have 10 sitting in the mailbox ready to go out tomorrow. Two different people are getting two each from me. Pretty cool.
Old 08-10-06, 09:56 PM

Another thank you to Jeremy. I got it up and running, but unfortunately I can't ship any more until I get validations of the 5 (yep, new member and used up all 5 in the first three days) that have gone out in the mail. Is this site cool or what?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.