Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you own out of print CDs?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Do you own out of print CDs?

Old 02-01-06, 12:57 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by slop101
I still have the initial remasters of the old David Bowie cds from the early '90s - the Rycodisc ones with the bonus tracks. They reissued them recently (I think on Virgin) and not only do they sound worse (along with some mixing errors) they also dropped all the bonus tracks...

The Rycodisc ones aren't too hard to find though.
Those Rykodisc Bowie reissues were sweet. I have all the ones from Station To Station through Lodger, but I'm missing Scary Monsters (my favorite Bowie album).
Old 02-01-06, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
My favorite OOP CD has to be Jimi Hendrix's Live at Winterland. Another Rycodisc from the early '90s. Even with all the proliferation and re-re-re-releases of Hendrix material, Winterland has only had this one release.

Hendrix was best live, and out of all his live material (there's A LOT - I swear, there were more people following Hendrix around with tape recorders than any other musician ever - and I've heard it ALL) I feel that it Winterland was, by far, his best live performance and it's the go-to CD when I need to hear some raw Hendrix.

It's been out of print for a while - but it can be easily found used for around $15 or less. Worth every penny.
Old 02-01-06, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by grunter
Amazon really isn't the best place to gauge prices on these supposedly OOP CDs. As atlantamoi noted, the prices are typically way under or way over what a collector might pay.
So True. Try looking at Half.com and/or Gemm.com to better guage prices.

My current number one chase CDs are Whiskeytown's "Rural Free Delivery" and an original CD pressing of Jimi Hendrix's "Cry of Love."
Yeah, it's spendy but this place has Rural for $70 - http://www.wabisabibooks.com/si/mu123.html (a little better than Ebay). I suspect, like me and others here, you are looking to score it cheap and I don't blame you.

Although quite honestly, with all the boneheads dumping their physical CD collections after ripping their contents and transferring them to MP3 players, I really feel like the collector market for CDs is going to hit rock bottom soon. The used market is primed for a massive flooding of product.
I'm afraid I agree with this assessment. Still, there are some gems out there to be had.

Not that I'm complaining.
Then I guess I will! Seriously, I've got a lot of CDs that I like but don't love or just didn't do it for me. I guess I had better get selling or I'm gonna get stuck with a bunch of pretty "coasters"

-Gunshy
Old 02-01-06, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My favorite OOP CD has to be Jimi Hendrix's Live at Winterland. Another Rycodisc from the early '90s. Even with all the proliferation and re-re-re-releases of Hendrix material, Winterland has only had this one release.

Hendrix was best live, and out of all his live material (there's A LOT - I swear, there were more people following Hendrix around with tape recorders than any other musician ever - and I've heard it ALL) I feel that it Winterland was, by far, his best live performance and it's the go-to CD when I need to hear some raw Hendrix.

It's been out of print for a while - but it can be easily found used for around $15 or less. Worth every penny.
Did you know that this release originally had a very limited Gold edition? I think it may have actually been 24k gold and not just a pretty gold color. I bought a copy in the cardboard longbox a million years ago (I can still remember the store and where), and sold it for what I thought was a good price, which at the time probably was, something like $40. I think I've seen one copy of the gold for sale since then.

True, it is a great disc.

-Gunshy
Old 02-01-06, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'll go you one better - the first printings of Winterland actually had a 2nd CD with 3 more songs from Winterland on it (Vodoo Chile, Like A Rolling Stone and Are You Experienced) jury-rigged to the side of the case. This 2nd CD is VERY rare.

But I'm sure when they reissue the Winterland concert it'll be a 2-disc set with all those songs and more.
Old 02-01-06, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by wendersfan
Those Rykodisc Bowie reissues were sweet. I have all the ones from Station To Station through Lodger, but I'm missing Scary Monsters (my favorite Bowie album).
definitely. they are the preferred releases, that is, until all releases get the "30th anniversary edition" treatment that ziggy, aladdin, and diamond dogs have all gotten.

it took me a while to get scary monsters, but i eventually got it on eBay for about $15. not a bad deal. if there's one ryko release i wouldn't do with out, it'd be that album!
Old 02-01-06, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've got most of the Bowie Rykodisc recordings. I never paid any attention to the Virgin reissues so I have no clue what the difference is or what kind of money any of them are worth. I remember purchasing "Ziggy Stardust" back around '88 and the next year Ryko allowed people to mail in their RCA copies for a brand new Ryko version.
I sat and stared at that RCA disc wondering if it would ever be worth anything, but went ahead and sent it away and did get the free remaster. I'm afraid to go look and see what the RCA copy might be worth (even though it sounded worse and had no extra tracks).

It's funny how some of the higher price OOP discs on Ebay are horrible recordings. Guess there's a reason they went OOP.
Old 02-01-06, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts
Originally Posted by atlantamoi
I remember purchasing "Ziggy Stardust" back around '88 and the next year Ryko allowed people to mail in their RCA copies for a brand new Ryko version.
I sat and stared at that RCA disc wondering if it would ever be worth anything, but went ahead and sent it away and did get the free remaster. I'm afraid to go look and see what the RCA copy might be worth (even though it sounded worse and had no extra tracks).
I'm just guessing, but I imagine that if the album is in print on another label, the old one won't be worth a lot unless it has more content. I imagine you made the right decision.
Old 02-01-06, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
I don't really have many cds that are out of print but the majority of my cassette collection is.
Old 02-01-06, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by uberjoe
U2's "The Joshua Tree" Gold. I've seen it for as much as $200.
Really? I hadn't thought to check on Gold disc's recently. I've got than one, as well as their "War" and "Unforgettable Fire", and at least a dozen other MFSL and DCC Gold discs. Don't think I'll part with any of them, but it'd be nice to see what they're fetching these days.
Old 02-01-06, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jason
I'm just guessing, but I imagine that if the album is in print on another label, the old one won't be worth a lot unless it has more content. I imagine you made the right decision.
As far as the Bowies go, it's not so much a matter of content, it's a matter of sound quality. The new Virgin remasters sound terrible; bass and treble exaggerated and the whole sound field maximized. The Rykos have been tinkered with a little (EQ-wise), though much less on the Au20 series than the aluminum issues, but at least they're from the original master tapes. The RCA issues were made from copies of copies of copies of copies, all transferred by minimum wage workers (though some prefer them because they're not futzed with AT ALL).

The Rykos are in demand, not so much for their bonus tracks, but because they're the nearest thing, aurally, to the original vinyl. The RCAs are in demand by those who prefer flat transfers.
Old 02-01-06, 09:08 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
Most of my most valuable CDs that I sold through half.com were the Mobile Fidelity Gold CDs like U2's Joshua Tree (sold around $100), Guns N Roses Appetite for Destruction ($90) & Use Your Illusion 2 ($80), Heart's Dreamboat Annie ($95), Blondie Parallel Lines ($80). There were some regular CDs that I sold from my hair metal 80's days like Badlands ($25), Voivod Nothingface ($30), Bango Tango Psycho Cafe ($16), and a slew of them around the $6 to $10 range.
Old 02-01-06, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by PerryD
Most of my most valuable CDs that I sold through half.com were the Mobile Fidelity Gold CDs like U2's Joshua Tree (sold around $100), Guns N Roses Appetite for Destruction ($90) & Use Your Illusion 2 ($80), Heart's Dreamboat Annie ($95), Blondie Parallel Lines ($80). There were some regular CDs that I sold from my hair metal 80's days like Badlands ($25), Voivod Nothingface ($30), Bango Tango Psycho Cafe ($16), and a slew of them around the $6 to $10 range.

Yeah, I've got a lot of 80's "Hair Metal" type stuff worth big $$. Even stuff I've had for over 20 years is in near mint condition - and looks like I just opened it, so it's easier to get better money for it. Last one I sold off was an original US pressing of Y&T's "In Rock We Trust" for $75 last year - as it's still out of print in the US - and I had picked up a newly re-mastered/re-released Japanese pressing for $20.
Old 02-01-06, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Okay, who has sold the highest price disc on Ebay (or anywhere else)? I sold a Joan Armatrading disc to a guy in Australia for $120. I was shocked because I only paid $6.00 for it used. I've sold a few others for around $100.
Old 02-01-06, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by PerryD
Most of my most valuable CDs that I sold through half.com were the Mobile Fidelity Gold CDs...
I have 3 MFgold cds: The Who's Tommy and Quadrophenia and The Jam's All Mod Cons/Sound Affects 2in1.
I got them used, for around $10 each over 5 years ago, and they're in perfect condition.
Did I get a good deal?
Old 02-01-06, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just went through a few of the CDs that I thought would be OOP and have a decent price, here's the ones over $10:

Ed Haynes Sings Ed Haynes ($39) (I’ve got two of these, I keep meaning to put one of them up on ebay, sort of a comedy singer)
Manfred Mann – Chance ($11) (has the song “For You” on it)
Joan Baez – Diamonds and Rust in the Bullring ($10) (has a nice cover of Bob Marley’s ‘No Woman, No Cry’)

At the low end: Grammy Nominadas 2000: Latino ($1.28)

There were a few that weren’t even listed, like the Freedom Rock collection (those of you who remember the mid-80s will remember the commercials – “Is that Freedom Rock man? Well, turn it up!”
Old 02-01-06, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Hollowgen
ooh! pity i actually like this edition, otherwise...
I thought it was a really nice release, and I'm a diehard nin fan, but I'm not much of a collector. I purchased 'still' from merch.com for $10, and I have no qualms about having a ripped version of the live cd when I already purchased the dvd and rarely listen to the cd anyway.

MF Doom - Operation Doomsday is one of my all-time favorite albums. But to have the choice between holding a cd in my hand, versus holding $120, isn't even a choice I have to make. If and when it's rereleased (and it desperately needs to be remastered anyway) I will gladly purchase it. But owning rare things isn't all that appealing to me.

I totally understand the viewpoints of some of you guys and think have a unique, extensive collection of something is very cool. It's just not a big thing for me personally.
Old 02-01-06, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Scorpio - do you only frequent the Rolling Stone out near Harlem Irving?
Yeah, I've been hitting that place for 16 years. As you say, I love the cheap pricing on their new releases, as well as their catalog titles. I typically go in there to fill up back catalog titles for bands like RUSH, AC/DC, etc.... I usually find something to buy in the listening stations too. I used to frequent Rock Records when I was going to Columbia in the early 90's. They were affiliated at one time with RS, but broke off a while ago. Awesome place. I have not been there in quite a few years. The Tower on Wabash has been good for finding some oddballs, I work down the street from there. 50% off!!!! It may be better that I DIDN'T know about that. :-)

My favorite "indy" store, by far, is Reckless Records near the corner of Broadway and Belmont in Boystown.
For whatever reason, I've never been in that store, though I've know of it for a long time. I'll have to remedy that. I wish WaxTrax was still around on Damen.

I also tend to stop by a fairly generic CD Exchange out in Skokie at Village Crossing nearly once a week.
LOL. I worked at that Jewel for 11 years! I've been in there a few times, and that Best Buy more than I care to say.

Last edited by Scorpio; 02-02-06 at 03:07 AM.
Old 02-02-06, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
I have a ton of old cd's, but wouldn't be able to tell you for sure what's out of print and what's not.
Old 02-02-06, 07:39 AM

I had no idea this was out of print. I bought this when it was issued, mainly from a recommendation from Rolling Stone who called owning it (Paraphrasing) a reason to buy a CD player. I have not spun it in a while, but I remember Red House w/ "Her big fat butt sister will. Hold on, let me say it right." I had the insert poster hanging in my room for some time. Thanks for the reminder!
Old 02-02-06, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by Matt925
I totally understand the viewpoints of some of you guys and think have a unique, extensive collection of something is very cool. It's just not a big thing for me personally.
I tend to agree with that, unless it's artists I collect, in which case I rarely sell. My best eBay score wasn't even out of print; I was in charge of a Borders music section years ago, and had gotten the soundtrack to The Young Girls of Rochefort, which had been released in France. We had gotten two copies by mistake, so I bought both and put one up on eBay, where it sold for $115 or so, to someone who obviously didn't know it was in print anywhere.
Old 02-02-06, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've never been on the selling end of one of these OOP eBay transactions. Usually it's the other way around. A couple months ago, I dropped about $60 for a copy of Spoon's debut "Telephono" after months and months and months of being sniped at the last minute.
Old 02-02-06, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Scorpio
LOL. I worked at that Jewel for 11 years! I've been in there a few times, and that Best Buy more than I care to say.
Ok. Totally off-topic, but I gotta ask.

What is the story of that check-out, um, "lady," with the bleach-blonde hair piled on her head about 12" high in Ivanna Trump style, who has like 2 teeth?
Old 02-02-06, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't sell my own beloved discs. But there was a three month period in early 2000 where I drove around to a bunch of pawn shops and purchased a ton of OOP discs. I felt really silly buying Toni Tennille and The Cover Girls CDs, but they fetched me some bucks. I sort of stopped all of this when Napster hit big and I ran out of stocked pawn shops. I would look at auctions nearing their end and see what was selling for over $25.00 on Ebay. It was a lot of fun. I would see some long lost disc and felt like it was San Fran 1849!
Old 02-02-06, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
Okay, who has sold the highest price disc on Ebay (or anywhere else)? I sold a Joan Armatrading disc to a guy in Australia for $120. I was shocked because I only paid $6.00 for it used. I've sold a few others for around $100.
Well, it was years ago so it probably doesn't count as much but, I sold a Japanese import edition of Rick Wakeman's "Rhapsodies" double disc set mint for $300. It's been bootlegged heavily since then so I don't think it would fetch over $50 now.

I've still got some pretty rare CDs around that I'm gettin' ready to sell, just want to hear them all one last time. I agree with others, much rather have $25-$100 in hand then hang on to CDs forever, especially if they may get re-released.

-Gunshy

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.