Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you own out of print CDs?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Do you own out of print CDs?

Old 02-02-06, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i own the original pressing of Nirvana's "Nevermind" (w/o the hidden song) - it's scratched, however, so i updated it with a newer pressing...

and i also own a ton of ska cds that are out of print, thanks to the collapse of the scene and certain labels in particular (coughcough Moonska). not that i listen to them any longer, either. couldn't get more than $2 for most of 'em now, probably.
-di doctor-
Old 02-02-06, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the Badlands CD's (except for Dusk, dammit, can't find it for a reasonable price) and I've had friends offer me good money for them. They were really after Voodoo Highway after Bo Bice covered "In a Dream" last year on American Idol. I about shit a brick when he sang that and gave Badlands a little exposure.
Old 02-02-06, 08:40 PM

I've been buying CD's for over twenty years now so I know some that I have must be OP. I've seen a few listed in this thread that I have that I was not aware that they were OP. But I know one I bought back in the 80's was pulled off the market not long after it came out, John Fogerty "Centerfield" with the song "Zanz Kant Danz " that was changed to "Vanz Kant Danz" .
A few more that I have that I know are pretty rare but don't know if they are worth a lot,

Elliott Murphy - "Aquashow" on Polydor. I only saw this CD once in a store and that was the day I bought it.

John Hiatt - "Live at the Hiatt" This was a limited edition disc that was available by mail only
Old 02-03-06, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've also been buying cds since the late 80's. With close to 2000 cds, I'm sure some of them are OOP. The only ones I know for sure are the gold disks, Shine On - the 9disc Pink Floyd box set, Deathwish 2 soundtrack (Jimmy Page), Sun City - Little Steven benefit jam including a version of Silver and Gold with Bono and Keith Richards, and a Smashing Pumpkins box - Aeroplane flies high.

I also have a plenty of vinyl...
Old 02-03-06, 07:28 PM

Ones I have:
Lilys - "Eccsame the Photon Band"
Swervedriver - "Mezcal Head" ("Ejector Seat Reservation" is actually back in print...although it's my least favorite)
Superchunk - "Laughter Guns" EP

Ones I sold for decent sums of money on eBay:
Spoon - "Telephono" ($74)
Swervedriver - "99th Dream" ($26)
Traveling Wilburys first album ($30 - purchased for 79 cents)

Reckless on Broadway is also my favorite store, although I do frequent the Wicker Park one too because a friend works there.
Old 02-09-06, 01:45 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by wergo
As far as the Bowies go, it's not so much a matter of content, it's a matter of sound quality. The new Virgin remasters sound terrible; bass and treble exaggerated and the whole sound field maximized. The Rykos have been tinkered with a little (EQ-wise), though much less on the Au20 series than the aluminum issues, but at least they're from the original master tapes. The RCA issues were made from copies of copies of copies of copies, all transferred by minimum wage workers (though some prefer them because they're not futzed with AT ALL).

The Rykos are in demand, not so much for their bonus tracks, but because they're the nearest thing, aurally, to the original vinyl. The RCAs are in demand by those who prefer flat transfers.
I have compared an RCA and a Ryko Au20 issue of "Low" and the mix is very different. The RCA, I've read, was from a vinyl master; it doesn't sound too bad, with a more flattened sound and a fatter bass. The highs are not as bright and the result is very easy on the ears.

The Ryko Au20 is very detailed, more focus, best I've heard except for the vinyl.
Old 05-08-06, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm stumped on this one. I drove past a flea market type store today and bought a handful of $1.00 CDs. One of them seems to be quite rare (Max Lasser's Ark "Into The Rainbow" 1985 Relativity Records). Normally when I purchase OOP CDs I can figure out the price from either Gemm, Amazon, Ebay, Half or just Googling it. I'm coming up with zilch. Must be very hard to find. Maybe I'll just put it up on Ebay and see what happens.
Old 05-08-06, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The only one I have (that I'm aware of) is

Metallica - The $5.98 EP: Garage Days Re-Revisited
Old 05-08-06, 01:56 PM

I've been buying for years, so I'm sure I have a few.
The rarest one is probably the American Psycho soundtrack, that included the Huey Lewis and the News song...
Old 05-08-06, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Only two discs, I think, I have that are OOP,
The Cure's Happily Ever After and
Apotheosis' O Fortuna (though I really wish I had the vinyl of it)

I'm sure they don't go for much.

oh, and also, Skinny Puppy's Testure 3" mini cd in a neat looking case.
I used to lose it so often due to it's size.
Old 05-08-06, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
The only OOP cd's I have are the Lucertola soundtrack CD's from the mid-to-late 90's. Most were limited to about 500-1000 pressings.

Last edited by Trout; 05-08-06 at 05:14 PM. Reason: me no spell to good....
Old 05-08-06, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 187 Likes on 143 Posts
I've got tons, but most notable are:

Negativland- U2 EP, sued off the market a week after its release

Morton Downey Jr Sings!

lots of obscure soundtracks like Miracle Mile

-I used to buy at least 10 CDs every month, but when the prices started going up circa 1993 that turned me off and now I don't even buy that many in a year. I never paid more than $14.99 for a single disc, I balked when the $15.99 price tags showed up, and by the time they'd gotten to $18.99 I lost interest. Thank you greedy record companies.

Last edited by Alan Smithee; 05-08-06 at 07:16 PM.
Old 05-08-06, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 122 Likes on 85 Posts
Evanescence - Origin (bought for $15 months before Fallen came out)
Old 05-08-06, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 789 Likes on 516 Posts
Originally Posted by wergo
As far as the Bowies go, it's not so much a matter of content, it's a matter of sound quality. The new Virgin remasters sound terrible; bass and treble exaggerated and the whole sound field maximized. The Rykos have been tinkered with a little (EQ-wise), though much less on the Au20 series than the aluminum issues, but at least they're from the original master tapes. The RCA issues were made from copies of copies of copies of copies, all transferred by minimum wage workers (though some prefer them because they're not futzed with AT ALL).

The Rykos are in demand, not so much for their bonus tracks, but because they're the nearest thing, aurally, to the original vinyl. The RCAs are in demand by those who prefer flat transfers.
I still have nine RCA Bowies. I was surprised to see how much they're going for on ebay. I had figured that people would want the cleaner sound.
Old 06-06-06, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

FYI, for those of you still looking for hard to find CDs, I just found this place:

http://www.netsoundsmusic.com

It appears to have quite a few hard to find CDs; one that I wanted to get yesterday (but messed up checkout) is now gone today Keep in mind, prices are in GBP by default!

-Gunshy
Old 06-06-06, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Gunshy
FYI, for those of you still looking for hard to find CDs, I just found this place:

http://www.netsoundsmusic.com

It appears to have quite a few hard to find CDs;

-Gunshy
I've spent most of my online time the past two days searching for really hard to find CDs and noticed that Netsoundsmusic includes "companies" that will rip a vinyl album to CD-R and then send you both. Usually it's for an incredible price, like $50.00.

I'm just kidding about incredible. What a ripoff. At least to me when I could purchase the album for a few bucks and do it myself.