DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   2006 Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/446845-2006-rock-roll-hall-fame.html)

Chrisedge 11-28-05 09:38 AM

2006 Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame

Rock Hall of Fame Announces Inductees

NEW YORK - Black Sabbath, Miles Davis and the Sex Pistols are among five musical legends to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation will hold its induction ceremony March 13 at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel in Manhattan, the organization announced Monday.

Also to be inducted into the class of 2006: 1980s New Wave band Blondie and Southern rockers Lynyrd Skynyrd.

Herb Alpert and Jerry Moss, who founded A&M records in 1962, will receive a lifetime achievement award in the non-performer category.

Inductees into the side-men category will be announced at a later date.

Musicians, industry professionals and journalists vote on the nominations. Artists are eligible to be inducted into the Rock Hall after at least 25 years have passed since their first record was released.

Nice to see B.S. and L.S. get their dues.

Lateralus 11-28-05 10:17 AM

http://www.onlineseats.com/upload/co...con_rush03.jpg

:(

Numanoid 11-28-05 10:17 AM

If there's one name I equate with rock and roll, it's Miles Davis. :whofart:

The Antipodean 11-28-05 10:24 AM

Sex Pistols! Now that ought to make for an interesting ceremony.

cactusoly 11-28-05 10:51 AM

finally Black Sabbath, if they induct Alice Cooper, Kiss, and Deep Purple the Hall of fame might start to be legitamite.

grunter 11-28-05 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Lateralus

The Hall of Fame only inducts people - not wailing muppets.

;)

Mordred 11-28-05 11:27 AM

Can't believe Sabbath is getting inducted after all the crap Ozzy talked about the HOF over the years. I expect Alice Cooper and Kiss will be along shortly.

Hollowgen 11-28-05 04:16 PM

oh good, the sex pistols. they've been non-stop great for decades. maybe next we'll get someone like... a flock of seagulls.

wendersfan 11-28-05 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Hollowgen
oh good, the sex pistols. they've been non-stop great for decades. maybe next we'll get someone like... a flock of seagulls.

If not for the Pistols rock music would be unrecognizable today. I can't even imagine what it would sound like.

nodeerforamonth 11-28-05 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by wendersfan
If not for the Pistols rock music would be unrecognizable today. I can't even imagine what it would sound like.

Exactly.

grunter 11-28-05 05:10 PM

Hey no dissin' the "'gulls," man.

Let's see Bono pull off that hair.

;)

Filmmaker 11-28-05 05:26 PM

Well, this is a bit of a letdown after U2's induction last year to say the least...

Oh and grunter, did you ever see Bono at Live Aid? Not so far off the Seagulls map...

Jason 11-28-05 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Lateralus

That was my first thought too. Great to see Sabbath, hope Sharon dies before the induction ceremony.

The Sex Pistols were useless.

KnightLerxst 11-28-05 05:44 PM

Yeah...big shocker on Rush getting snubbed again. Ah well.

cungar 11-28-05 05:52 PM

That's just ridiculous. The Clash, Ramones, Buzzcocks etc. would have more have than taken up the slack. The Pistols were just the most over the top punk band for a short period. The 8 or 9 great songs they wrote certainly deserve accolades but they are vastly overrated. And what the hell is so great about how rock sounds today?

Numanoid 11-28-05 05:52 PM

How can one seriously deny the impact that the Sex Pistols had on rock music?

Coral 11-28-05 05:56 PM

I don't care how influential their album was, one album is not enough to warrant an induction into the HOF.

nodeerforamonth 11-28-05 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Jason
The Sex Pistols were useless.

?!?!?!??! Useless?!?!? Useless?? Shirley, you must be a troll.

I can understand not liking them, but saying they're "useless"!?!??! Wow!

I mean, I HATE Pink Floyd and U2, but I wouldn't say that they are "useless". Maybe I'd use that word for the Grateful Dead...

Jason 11-28-05 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Numanoid

I can. They had one album, which, while cool, really didn't lead to anything. The punk scene was already a strong underground movement, in both the US and the UK. They were just a public face for it. If it hadn't been for the antics of Sid Vicious (who doesn't even appear on the album), they would have been a footnote, as well known by the general public as the Slits or X-Ray Specs.

Now if you want to talk about marketing, and manipulating the media, they were as influential as the Beatles. They just didn't add anything meaningful to rock music.

grunter 11-28-05 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Filmmaker
Well, this is a bit of a letdown after U2's induction last year to say the least...

Oh and grunter, did you ever see Bono at Live Aid? Not so far off the Seagulls map...

You dare mock the sacred moussy mullet?

Oh, the sacrilege.

;)

RichardW 11-28-05 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Coral
I don't care how influential their album was, one album is not enough to warrant an induction into the HOF.

:up:

paulringodaman 11-28-05 06:38 PM

I don't know about you, buy Lynyrd Skynyrd being inducted is fantastic!!!

auto 11-28-05 06:39 PM

Exactly.

That is incorrect.

auto 11-28-05 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Filmmaker

:rolleyes:

Hollowgen 11-28-05 08:36 PM

that's all i'm getting at. i love Nevermind..., and don't deny it's importance. we're all allowed to have different opinions, right? :)

and FYI, i LOVE the first Flock album!

Numanoid 11-28-05 09:08 PM

Apparently, you're wrong. ;)

And this is the Rock and Roll Hall of FAME. The Sex Pistols marked a complete change in the direction of rock music, and are a significant historical band in that regard. Of course they weren't the first nor the best, but they were the pivot around which the mainstream swung at that time. A rock and Roll Hall of Fame without them is ridiculous.

I'm still trying to get my head around Miles Davis.

Andalusia 11-28-05 09:17 PM

I'm still trying to get my head around Miles Davis.

Same here. I'm a big fan, but that seems odd (even considering his albums "In a Silent Way" and onward).

And I'm confident in saying that if there's one thing Miles Davis wouldn't give a shit about, it's this.

B5Erik 11-28-05 09:56 PM

OK, here's the thing.

The Sex Pistols - one real album - are in. KISS - 30+ albums, millions sold, hundreds of bands with albums released on major labels influenced by them, the band that changed the live concert presentation - is not.

What planet are these voters living on?

You can legitimately argue that The Sex Pistols belong in the HOF, but not before KISS. KISS changed a lot more of the Rock and Roll landscape than the Pistols did - and they did it for a lot longer, with a hell of a lot more success.

This just shows the biases that the voters have against populist music. I mean, Miles Fucking Davis? In the ROCK AND ROLL Hall of Fame? He was BRILLIANT, but he was a JAZZ artist, period. Why not put in Mozart while you're at it? Come on!

It's nice to see them allow Black Sabbath and Lynyrd Skynyrd into their precious hall, but bands like KISS, Alice Cooper, Deep Purple, Rush, Van Halen, Iron Maiden and others are deserving as well - and should have been inducted years ago (with the exception of Maiden, who are in their first year of "eligibility").

Hell, Maiden could be a benchmark as well. They are a band that at their height played multiple sold out shows at venues that "bigger" bands had trouble selling out once - and without much airplay. Maiden influenced thousands of bands, and set the standard for Heavy Metal that is still the standard today. Hell, I'm starting to see current high school kids wearing Iron Maiden T-Shirts - their influence still remains strong today. If the Sex Pistols are in, Iron Maiden MUST go in, or it is just further proof of what a joke the hall is.

wendersfan 11-29-05 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by B5Erik
OK, here's the thing.

The Sex Pistols - one real album - are in. KISS - 30+ albums, millions sold, hundreds of bands with albums released on major labels influenced by them, the band that changed the live concert presentation - is not.

A planet where the Pistols released one classic album, and KISS have released a long and sordid career's worth of shit. :)

ETA: As far as Miles Davis, he invented and popularized jazz/rock fusion. I think that warrants induction.

Numanoid 11-29-05 07:42 AM

KISS changed a lot more of the Rock and Roll landscape than the Pistols did

How?

mndtrp 11-29-05 08:29 AM

Not that I usually care about the Hall of Fame, but it's nice to see Black Sabbath and Lynyrd Skynyrd put in.

grunter 11-29-05 10:49 AM

OK, here's the thing.

Maybe it's not about number of records sold?

cungar 11-29-05 12:47 PM

I'm wondering if they inducted Miles to open up the playing field wider because let's face it, the next couple decades it's going to get harder and harder to find worthy inductees. From the 80's? 90s? Truly great top level bands in the league of the Stones, the Who, U2, The Kinks etc. They ain't there.

wendersfan 11-29-05 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by cungar
I'm wondering if they inducted Miles to open up the playing field wider because let's face it, the next couple decades it's going to get harder and harder to find worthy inductees. From the 80's? 90s? Truly great top level bands in the league of the Stones, the Who, U2, The Kinks etc. They ain't there.

Yeah, cause all those bands like R.E.M., The Pixies, The Replacements, The Smiths, Joy Division, Gang of Four, Sonic Youth, Hüsker Dü, and the Stone Roses sucked. -ohbfrank-

nodeerforamonth 11-29-05 02:20 PM

The New York Dolls should be in before KISS. After all, they were a big influence on KISS.

nodeerforamonth 11-29-05 02:22 PM

that's all i'm getting at. i love Nevermind..., and don't deny it's importance. we're all allowed to have different opinions, right? :)

Are you talking about Nirvana? They released three full studio albums. In addition to a couple live ones and another one full of b-sides and rarities. And a box set of rarities. They're far from a one album band!

Filmmaker 11-29-05 02:45 PM

Yeah, cause all those bands like R.E.M., The Pixies, The Replacements, The Smiths, Joy Division, Gang of Four, Sonic Youth, Hüsker Dü, and the Stone Roses sucked. -ohbfrank-

Well, R.E.M. didn't...

Jason 11-29-05 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by cungar

Well, if they hadn't been in such a big hurry to put all their personal favorites in right away, they wouldn't have this "problem". Look at the first year's worth of inductions. In one year, they inducted:

Chuck Berry
James Brown
Ray Charles
Sam Cooke
Fats Domino
The Everly Brothers
Buddy Holly
Jerry Lee Lewis
Elvis Presley
Little Richard

Pretty much every inductee on this list could have carried the entire program for the year. I know they were just starting out, but this is overkill.

However, I don't think they inducted Davis for this reason. For some insane reason, they like to think that the rock and roll "attitude" pervades every aspect of music. I'm wondering how long before a non-musician is nominated in the main category. After all, if Miles Davis can represent "rock and roll", can't Quentin Tarentino? Lenny Bruce? Bruce Lee? Eric Cartman?

B5Erik 11-29-05 09:31 PM

A planet where the Pistols released one classic album, and KISS have released a long and sordid career's worth of shit. :)

The Pistols released one classic album? Classic to some, crap to others.

KISS could always carry a tune better than the Pistols ever could - and they influenced more bands, too. In every measure - influence on other bands, changing the Rock landscape, album and ticket sales - KISS far outshines the Sex Pistols. That's not to minimize what the Pistols did, but if we're having this conversation you obviously either weren't around when KISS was at their height, or you have just chosen to disregard all that they accomplished based on personal tastes.

[Quote: Originally Posted by B5Erik
KISS changed a lot more of the Rock and Roll landscape than the Pistols did]

How?

KISS completely changed how Rock concerts were presented live. They took the low tech theatrics of Alice Cooper and made it high tech. KISS introduced fireworks, hydraulic lifts, and most of the things that are considered pre-requisites for live Rock concert presentations today. KISS was one of the first bands to actually MOVE a lot on stage and work up a sweat.

Beyond that their musical influence extends far beyond the obvious bands and into others that you wouldn't expect (including Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, and Garth Brooks, as well as some of the more obvious bands like Skid Row, Anthrax, and Motley Crue).

(And, The New York Dolls weren't as much of an influence on KISS as many have made them out to be. KISS tried the Dolls approach very early on, and it didn't work for them, so they came up with their own thing - both musically and visually.)

It's not just about the number of records and tickets sold - but that is a part, and a part that KISS excelled at.

It's clear that there are a lot of people who just don't know how big KISS was (and still is to a degree) not only in terms of their commercial success, but in terms of their musical quality and their influence on literally hundreds of bands who have recorded albums for major labels (and thousands of bands who wanted to).

I don't like a lot of bands that are in the Hall of Fame, but I don't argue their place there. KISS has EARNED a place there, and the fact that they, along with Rush, Deep Purple, Van Halen, Alice Cooper, Ted Nugent, and others aren't in there is a joke. A very bad one.

B5Erik 11-29-05 09:49 PM

I could see R.E.M., The Smiths, The Cure, and a few others in the Hall, and, as I stated before, bands like Iron Maiden, Metallica, and Megadeth would have to be inducted IF the hall is worth a damn.

Like KISS, Iron Maiden's influence was huge. They changed the sound of Heavy Metal - love it or hate it, it doesn't matter. It was a hugely successful sub-genre of Rock, and Maiden is still considered by a huge number of Metal fans to be the best Metal band ever - over Sabbath, over Metallica, over Judas Priest. Maiden was, and still is, a BRILLIANT live band. AMAZINGLY good musicianship, great theatrics, and a ton of energy expended on stage by the band members themselves made for arguably the best Heavy Metal concerts ever.

Maiden sold out 4 shows in 4 consecutive nights at the Long Beach arena in 1985. 48,000 tickets sold - with very little radio airplay. 2 years later they played two sold out shows there. They have been able to sell concert tickets better than bands with 2 or 3 times their record sales for over 2 decades. In 2003 they still sold out the Long Beach Arena and nearly sold out Irvine Meadows as well - with NO airplay in the area at all! They also have more than enough Gold and Platinum to have earned their way into the Hall.

KISS and Iron Maiden are my benchmarks for the Hall to see if it has any credibility at all, or if it's just a tool for the snobby "artsy" folks to celebrate only what they like and exclude everything else. Rock and Roll is music for the masses, not just for the elite snobs. Right now the Hall is for the snobs.