DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   2006 Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/446845-2006-rock-roll-hall-fame.html)

Chrisedge 11-28-05 09:38 AM

2006 Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame

Rock Hall of Fame Announces Inductees

NEW YORK - Black Sabbath, Miles Davis and the Sex Pistols are among five musical legends to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation will hold its induction ceremony March 13 at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel in Manhattan, the organization announced Monday.

Also to be inducted into the class of 2006: 1980s New Wave band Blondie and Southern rockers Lynyrd Skynyrd.

Herb Alpert and Jerry Moss, who founded A&M records in 1962, will receive a lifetime achievement award in the non-performer category.

Inductees into the side-men category will be announced at a later date.

Musicians, industry professionals and journalists vote on the nominations. Artists are eligible to be inducted into the Rock Hall after at least 25 years have passed since their first record was released.

Nice to see B.S. and L.S. get their dues.

Lateralus 11-28-05 10:17 AM

http://www.onlineseats.com/upload/co...con_rush03.jpg

:(

Numanoid 11-28-05 10:17 AM

If there's one name I equate with rock and roll, it's Miles Davis. :whofart:

The Antipodean 11-28-05 10:24 AM

Sex Pistols! Now that ought to make for an interesting ceremony.

cactusoly 11-28-05 10:51 AM

finally Black Sabbath, if they induct Alice Cooper, Kiss, and Deep Purple the Hall of fame might start to be legitamite.

grunter 11-28-05 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Lateralus

The Hall of Fame only inducts people - not wailing muppets.

;)

Mordred 11-28-05 11:27 AM

Can't believe Sabbath is getting inducted after all the crap Ozzy talked about the HOF over the years. I expect Alice Cooper and Kiss will be along shortly.

Hollowgen 11-28-05 04:16 PM

oh good, the sex pistols. they've been non-stop great for decades. maybe next we'll get someone like... a flock of seagulls.

wendersfan 11-28-05 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Hollowgen
oh good, the sex pistols. they've been non-stop great for decades. maybe next we'll get someone like... a flock of seagulls.

If not for the Pistols rock music would be unrecognizable today. I can't even imagine what it would sound like.

nodeerforamonth 11-28-05 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by wendersfan
If not for the Pistols rock music would be unrecognizable today. I can't even imagine what it would sound like.

Exactly.

grunter 11-28-05 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Hollowgen

Hey no dissin' the "'gulls," man.

Let's see Bono pull off that hair.

;)

Filmmaker 11-28-05 05:26 PM

Well, this is a bit of a letdown after U2's induction last year to say the least...

Oh and grunter, did you ever see Bono at Live Aid? Not so far off the Seagulls map...

Jason 11-28-05 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Lateralus

That was my first thought too. Great to see Sabbath, hope Sharon dies before the induction ceremony.

The Sex Pistols were useless.

KnightLerxst 11-28-05 05:44 PM

Yeah...big shocker on Rush getting snubbed again. Ah well.

cungar 11-28-05 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by wendersfan

That's just ridiculous. The Clash, Ramones, Buzzcocks etc. would have more have than taken up the slack. The Pistols were just the most over the top punk band for a short period. The 8 or 9 great songs they wrote certainly deserve accolades but they are vastly overrated. And what the hell is so great about how rock sounds today?

Numanoid 11-28-05 05:52 PM

How can one seriously deny the impact that the Sex Pistols had on rock music?

Coral 11-28-05 05:56 PM

I don't care how influential their album was, one album is not enough to warrant an induction into the HOF.

nodeerforamonth 11-28-05 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Jason
The Sex Pistols were useless.

?!?!?!??! Useless?!?!? Useless?? Shirley, you must be a troll.

I can understand not liking them, but saying they're "useless"!?!??! Wow!

I mean, I HATE Pink Floyd and U2, but I wouldn't say that they are "useless". Maybe I'd use that word for the Grateful Dead...

Jason 11-28-05 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Numanoid

I can. They had one album, which, while cool, really didn't lead to anything. The punk scene was already a strong underground movement, in both the US and the UK. They were just a public face for it. If it hadn't been for the antics of Sid Vicious (who doesn't even appear on the album), they would have been a footnote, as well known by the general public as the Slits or X-Ray Specs.

Now if you want to talk about marketing, and manipulating the media, they were as influential as the Beatles. They just didn't add anything meaningful to rock music.

grunter 11-28-05 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Filmmaker
Well, this is a bit of a letdown after U2's induction last year to say the least...

Oh and grunter, did you ever see Bono at Live Aid? Not so far off the Seagulls map...

You dare mock the sacred moussy mullet?

Oh, the sacrilege.

;)

RichardW 11-28-05 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Coral
I don't care how influential their album was, one album is not enough to warrant an induction into the HOF.

:up:

paulringodaman 11-28-05 06:38 PM

I don't know about you, buy Lynyrd Skynyrd being inducted is fantastic!!!

auto 11-28-05 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Numanoid

Exactly.

That is incorrect.

auto 11-28-05 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Filmmaker

:rolleyes:

Hollowgen 11-28-05 08:36 PM

that's all i'm getting at. i love Nevermind..., and don't deny it's importance. we're all allowed to have different opinions, right? :)

and FYI, i LOVE the first Flock album!