Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

MusicTalk Draft Game - Round 3 Voting (We need your votes!)

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

MusicTalk Draft Game - Round 3 Voting (We need your votes!)

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-05, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Winners:

1. cdollaz - except for maybe Faith No More, these albums have a timeless quality about them.

2. Aphex Twin - I would like to have sex with him.

3. jimdrix - All important artists with important albums in their careers.

4. Modred - similar to what I said about jimdrix.
Old 11-10-05, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by leepyswetr
Then you should have voted for Aphex Twin?
Oops! I'd change it, but I'm not allowed to edit my post. My apologies to Mr. Twin.
Old 11-10-05, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Andalusia
Oops! I'd change it, but I'm not allowed to edit my post. My apologies to Mr. Twin.
You could just delete your post and then post it again. Votes don't get counted until tomorrow morning.
Old 11-10-05, 02:29 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 101 Posts
Can we make trades
Old 11-10-05, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

1. BadlyDrawnBoy
2. illenium
3. jimdrix
4. maxfisher

Late to the game, and many albums I don't know, but there you are....
Old 11-10-05, 02:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

1. cdollaz
2. illennium
3. DJLinus
4. maxfisher
Old 11-10-05, 03:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

1. BadlyDrawnBoy
2. Aphex Twin
3. jimdrix
4. maxfisher
Old 11-10-05, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1. BadlyDrawnBoy
2. illennium
3. DJLinus
4. maxfisher
Old 11-10-05, 07:55 AM

Picks

1. cdollaz
2. illennium
3. DJ Linus
4. maxfisher
Old 11-10-05, 08:25 AM

1) cdollaz - I'm surprised this race is as close as it is; cdollaz's list is one of the strongest in the whole draft. In particular, his first five picks are just monstrous.

2) Aphex Twin - Rubber Soul and A Love Supreme push Aphex over the top. Props to illenium for Kid A and Gram Parsons, though.

3) jimdrix - Another "strongest overall list" contender, despite Ministry giving me hives.

4) maxfisher - The U's have it; my favorite U2 record, and the fabulous UNKLE record, which I'd never heard before perusing Max's list. I hope that's one of the lasting side effects of this draft: people discovering great music that's new to them.
Old 11-10-05, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts
Originally Posted by monkish
4) maxfisher - The U's have it; my favorite U2 record, and the fabulous UNKLE record, which I'd never heard before perusing Max's list. I hope that's one of the lasting side effects of this draft: people discovering great music that's new to them.
Glad you found a new album you like and I agree 100% about the draft's pleasant side effect of helping people find new music. I really like the fact that a lot of people seem to be looking into the artists they aren't familiar with. I've already bought one disc thanks to the draft and have 3 or 4 others that I'll probably pick up at some point. It's been a great way to find some good music and I hope a lot of people are being introduced to new things by it.

Oh yeah, and thanks for the vote...
Old 11-10-05, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Aphex Twin
You could just delete your post and then post it again. Votes don't get counted until tomorrow morning.
If you do this, please make a note in your new post so I can delete your old votes from my current count.
Old 11-10-05, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

auto, just a curious question -- instead of all the silly rules about editing your post, why not just wait until the voting hours are over and THEN count up the votes?
Old 11-10-05, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Numanoid
auto, just a curious question -- instead of all the silly rules about editing your post, why not just wait until the voting hours are over and THEN count up the votes?
In retrospect, that would have been a great idea.

The whole idea was to allow me to keep a running tally so that we could get the next round started promptly. At this point, there's no point in further confusing things by changing the rule but in future drafts I'm sure that is what we'll do.

I'm at work during the day and couting the 40-50 votes all at once makes it hard to pretend I'm doing actual work.
Old 11-10-05, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Andalusia obviously meant to vote for Aphex Twin so his vote should go to him.
Old 11-10-05, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

1. Winner: 1. cdollaz (tough matchup, but I prefer Rush to Pearl Jam and don't really like that Kings of Leon album).
2. Winner: Aphex Twin (another tough one, star goes to Loveless, Blue Lines and that 'Trane album.)
3. Winner: DJLinus (some of my favorite albums there. jhndrix's list is entirely made up of classic that I've heard way to many times at this point.)
4. Mordred (Mordred's list is just a little too established "classic" for my taste as well, even though Sun Sessions...I mean, c'mon.)

It seems like there are two types of lists in this poll: established classics that no-one can argue with and lists of slightly more esoteric (but nevertheless classic in their own right) personal favorite albums. I love Rubber Soul as much as the next man, but there's only so many times I can hear "In My Life" before I need to move on.

I think a second poll would be much more interesting.
Old 11-10-05, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Hiro11
1. Winner: 1. cdollaz (tough matchup, but I prefer Rush to Pearl Jam and don't really like that Kings of Leon album).
2. Winner: Aphex Twin (another tough one, star goes to Loveless, Blue Lines and that 'Trane album.)
3. Winner: DJLinus (some of my favorite albums there. jhndrix's list is entirely made up of classic that I've heard way to many times at this point.)
4. Mordred (Mordred's list is just a little too established "classic" for my taste as well, even though Sun Sessions...I mean, c'mon.)

It seems like there are two types of lists in this poll: established classics that no-one can argue with and lists of slightly more esoteric (but nevertheless classic in their own right) personal favorite albums. I love Rubber Soul as much as the next man, but there's only so many times I can hear "In My Life" before I need to move on.

I wouldn't mention it if my matchup wasn't so close, but it sounds like you vote for Mordred and then explain why you didn't vote for Mordred? Hope it's not considered in poor taste to ask...
Old 11-10-05, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
I think that another poll with no repeat artist (as has been suggested before) would yeild a LOT of records that many are unfamiliar with. But, it would still be fun.
Old 11-10-05, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by illennium
Andalusia obviously meant to vote for Aphex Twin so his vote should go to him.
If it's cool with you, it's cool with me. I have adjusted my counts.
Old 11-10-05, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by orangecrush18
I think that another poll with no repeat artist (as has been suggested before) would yeild a LOT of records that many are unfamiliar with. But, it would still be fun.
I think not repeating artists is not a good idea. I think it would be better to not repeat albums. Sadly, I have a database of the picks already, so it wouldn't be hard for someone to check to make sure it doesn't repeat. We could call this MusicTalk Draft Game Season 2, for example.

After all, if someone really wants to draft, say, Beatles - Yellow Submarine, let them.
Old 11-10-05, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11

I would hope that people are voting for their own personal favorites. As much as I know how important the Beatles are, with the exception of someone with Rubber Soul or Revolver, my voting was not influenced by them. I hope people are voting on personal preference, not what they believe VH1 one time said is a good album. It's OK to draft that way, but not to vote that way.

Now picking personal favorites can certainly backfire. I did not get one single comment on my pick of OMD - Dazzle Ships or Electrelane - The Power Out. I went a bit too off the deep end there (and this is that OMD was a major 80s act and Electrelane isn't completely unknown).

I certainly welcome a second round, but a break of a week or so, so we can all get some real work done.

I think it might also be fun to do themes were you need to stay within a certain timeline (1980-1990) or (2000 onward).

But I would definitely want to play again.
Old 11-10-05, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Regarding OMD, I am a fan, but I always thought of Dazzle Ships as pretty low on the list of their albums. I actually used to have a cassette of Dazzle Ships. I prefer Architecture & Morality, Crush, and Junk Culture.
Old 11-10-05, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by maxfisher
I wouldn't mention it if my matchup wasn't so close, but it sounds like you vote for Mordred and then explain why you didn't vote for Mordred? Hope it's not considered in poor taste to ask...
Ouch. You just got 6 votes in a row. Let me get one please!
Old 11-10-05, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Mordred
Ouch. You just got 6 votes in a row. Let me get one please!
Yeah, but you'd been consistently kicking my ass until those 6 closed the gap. I'm still crossing my fingers for a come from behind victory...

I do find it interesting how much our lists split the votes, as they're fairly different in their natures. At first, I thought mine would appeal to a larger number of voters on this forum. Then I was about to throw in the towel when you jumped out to an early lead and were solidly trouncing me. Now that it's closed back up, it's anybody's match.
Old 11-10-05, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I went to bed all pleased with myself and looking ahead to round 4. Of course I had come from behind wins in round 1 and 2 so this would be poetic justice I suppose.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.