Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Tell me about Coldplay live

Old 09-12-05, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Tell me about Coldplay live

Going to the show tomorrow night and was wondering what to expect. I may have a chance to get a better seat now due to the fact that I had surgery on my foot and they said it's a first come basis for handicapped seats. That would be sweet. Anyway, any feedback on the shows would be appreciated.
Old 09-12-05, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by hippie68
Going to the show tomorrow night and was wondering what to expect. I may have a chance to get a better seat now due to the fact that I had surgery on my foot and they said it's a first come basis for handicapped seats. That would be sweet. Anyway, any feedback on the shows would be appreciated.
I've seen them three times, and they've never failed to deliver. In fact, they're one of the better bands I've ever seen perform live, and Chris Martin is always sure to put on quite a show on stage. Unfortunately, this last time I saw them I was way in the back and didn't have much of a view, so I'd suggest getting the best seat possible. They have large screens at the back of the stage as part of the show, but only during certain songs do those screens show the band playing, while the rest of the time they have various graphics and lights up on them.
Old 09-12-05, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I hope you really like their albums, because they sedom deviate from them during the performance. I was very disappointed in them. Maybe with XY being a more "rock" album they will have more energy, but damn they were boring last time I saw them.
Old 09-12-05, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
I hope you really like their albums, because they sedom deviate from them during the performance. I was very disappointed in them. Maybe with XY being a more "rock" album they will have more energy, but damn they were boring last time I saw them.

Boring and Coldplay don't go together. I disagree big time with your view that they seldom deviate from their albums during live performances.

As to the original poster, expect a hell of a night, a ton of energy from Chris, and a lot of great music.
Old 09-12-05, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bballing
I disagree big time with your view that they seldom deviate from their albums during live performances.
I disagree with your big time disagreement. He hit the nail on the head (though I have been to one live concert of theirs).

The Coldplay concert I went to (back in 2002) sounded just like the Coldplay albums (which isn't necessarily a bad thing). Only difference was the really cool lightshow.

Enjoyable show but nothing special.
Old 09-12-05, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Boring and Coldplay don't go together.
Google Search

[boring AND coldplay]

Results 1 - 10 of about 374,000 for boring AND coldplay. (0.25 seconds)
Old 09-13-05, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cungar
Google Search

[boring AND coldplay]

Results 1 - 10 of about 374,000 for boring AND coldplay. (0.25 seconds)
Doesn't prove much.

Google Search

[cungar AND wrong]

Results 1 - 10 of about 726 for cungar AND wrong. (0.15 seconds)

If you love Coldplay, they're great live; if you don't, then they're not, because they sound like Coldplay.
Old 09-13-05, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't really like their albums too much, but went to see them at Red Rocks. While that venue will make any act better, they were pretty enjoyable. A lot more energy than I usually see from a guy at a piano.
Old 09-13-05, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Saw them a few weeks back for the first time. Amazing show. I actually dont like when artist deviate from their album too much cuz its takes away from the music that I obviously aready like, and makes the feeling of ownership or fan participation decrease. Coldplay brings a lot of energy and are really good with fan interaction at their shows.
Old 09-13-05, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
Doesn't prove much.

Google Search

[cungar AND wrong]

Results 1 - 10 of about 726 for cungar AND wrong. (0.15 seconds)

If you love Coldplay, they're great live; if you don't, then they're not, because they sound like Coldplay.
Take a breath. It was aupposed to be a joke.
Old 09-13-05, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Boring and Coldplay don't go together. I disagree big time with your view that they seldom deviate from their albums during live performances.

As to the original poster, expect a hell of a night, a ton of energy from Chris, and a lot of great music.
I should have added that I really like Coldplay, I think they are an excellent band, and X&Y is one of my favorite albums of the year.

So I'm not just some basher

But I was really disappointed with them live. So much so that I passed up the chance to see them here again. If they've changed, that's great, and hopefully there is a DVD from this tour. If YOU enjoy them live, that's also fantastic, and I hope that you have a great time at the show.
Old 10-04-05, 10:24 AM
Retired

Went to the show on Friday. Bar none the best concert I've been too, and I go to a fair amount (5-10 a year at least). They sounded great, had a ton of energy (advantage of catching the last show of the US tour) and played a great setlist.

Square One
Politik
Yellow
Speed Of Sound
God Put A Smile On Your Face
Trouble
White Shadows
The Scientist
Everything's Not Lost
Til Kingdom Come
Ring of Fire
Green Eyes
Clocks
Talk

Encore-

Swallowed In The Sea
In My Place
Fix You
Old 10-04-05, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
Went to the show on Friday. Bar none the best concert I've been too, and I go to a fair amount (5-10 a year at least). They sounded great, had a ton of energy (advantage of catching the last show of the US tour) and played a great setlist.

Square One
Politik
Yellow
Speed Of Sound
Trouble
White Shadows
The Scientist
Everything's Not Lost
Til Kingdom Come
Ring of Fire
Green Eyes
Clocks
Talk

Encore-

Swallowed In The Sea
In My Place
Fix You

Saw these guys in KC a couple weeks ago. I thought it was pretty good show as well. From what I recall, the setlist above looks about identical, even the encore and Ring of Fire. No Trouble though. Definitely one of the better shows I have been to this year as well.

On a side note, I think I may be the only person in the world who has seen Slipknot, Chimaira, and Coldplay all in the same year and enjoyed each show.
Old 10-04-05, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Square One
Politik
Yellow
Speed Of Sound
Trouble
White Shadows
The Scientist
Everything's Not Lost
Til Kingdom Come
Ring of Fire
Green Eyes
Clocks
Talk

Encore-

Swallowed In The Sea
In My Place
Fix You
*Cringes*

Tried to get tix for this Nissan show, but wasn't wililng to pay the $100 per for it. I'm convinced there will be a DVD of this tour (hopefully this show!).

I'm jealous, that's a great setlist. I'm curious if they added the more rock feel to the older songs that X&Y have on this tour?

BTW Josh, saw on the news that the traffic after the show was even worse than usual for Nissan, and that's really saying something.
Old 10-04-05, 01:09 PM
Retired

Yeah, all the songs seemed a little more rocking (other than the slow songs obviously). Probably due to being the last stop as Chris said we'd be getting more energy as they didn't have to save anything for the next show.

I only paid $80 after fees for my tickets and we had great seats in 101.

It took me about an hour to get moving in the parking lot and about an hour and a half to get on I-66. We got there early and were parked close to the pavillion so that helped a lot.

When I saw DMB there over the summer we got their late and parked superfar away and we didnt' move in the parking lot until 2 1/2 hours after the show, so getting their early pays off.

Paying the $20 for the premier parking is the way to go if you have a carload of friends to split it as they let that lot out first and it's the closet to the exit. I parked there once or twice and got out within 15 minutes.
Old 10-04-05, 01:39 PM

Yeah, all the songs seemed a little more rocking (other than the slow songs obviously). Probably due to being the last stop as Chris said we'd be getting more energy as they didn't have to save anything for the next show.

I only paid $80 after fees for my tickets and we had great seats in 101.

It took me about an hour to get moving in the parking lot and about an hour and a half to get on I-66. We got there early and were parked close to the pavillion so that helped a lot.

When I saw DMB there over the summer we got their late and parked superfar away and we didnt' move in the parking lot until 2 1/2 hours after the show, so getting their early pays off.

Paying the $20 for the premier parking is the way to go if you have a carload of friends to split it as they let that lot out first and it's the closet to the exit. I parked there once or twice and got out within 15 minutes.
my friend and I foolishy left late for the show last Friday night, took Route 66 (two hours and 15min) and got to show in time to see the last 5 songs ...

live and learn...
Old 10-04-05, 02:17 PM
Retired

Yeah, traffic was terrible. I left at 2:45 from college park and got there at 5! It wasn't even concert traffic as there was no traffic once getting off the exit. Just regular friday traffic on I-66. That road is just ridiculous. I can imagine how bad it was once the concert traffic and 5 p.m. rush hour hit at the same time.
Old 10-04-05, 02:30 PM

Yeah, traffic was terrible. I left at 2:45 from college park and got there at 5! It wasn't even concert traffic as there was no traffic once getting off the exit. Just regular friday traffic on I-66. That road is just ridiculous. I can imagine how bad it was once the concert traffic and 5 p.m. rush hour hit at the same time.
but rush hour traffic at 8'clock at night - come on - it was all stop and go - ugh! Next time we'll take 28 south instead of 66 (big mistake) Actually, leaving wasn't a problem - out relatively painless - we had a late night dinner at the IHOP since by then we were starving.

oh and I liked the concert - albeit the last quarter of it.

Last edited by Giles; 10-04-05 at 02:33 PM.
Old 10-04-05, 03:12 PM
Retired

That's 66 for you. Especially on Friday when all the DC'ers are heading out of town for the weekend. Plus combined with all the concert arrivees from DC who though they could leave at 7 or later and get their before Coldplay went on at 9:15.
Old 10-04-05, 03:41 PM

A friend went to see them here in Atlanta last Wednesday. Chris Martin told a story about how an enthusiastic audience in Atlanta years ago solidified their resolve to continue as a band.

To thank Atlanta he introduced special guest Michael Stipe who then walked out on stage. The rest of the band took a break while Chris Martin played keyboards and Stipe sang 'Nightswimming'. I'm not a big fan of Coldplay, but it sounds like this and other moments made for one hell of a show.
Old 10-04-05, 04:02 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by Shemp
A friend went to see them here in Atlanta last Wednesday. Chris Martin told a story about how an enthusiastic audience in Atlanta years ago solidified their resolve to continue as a band.
The story here was about how they got booed off the stage the last time they played in DC when they had to open for Limp Bizkit at the HSFestival.

It started by him saying "holy shit" about how many people where at the current show, and how they though DC was a place they'd never sell concert tickets after that 2000 show. Then he said that went to show how intelligent we were and what incredible taste we have.

Then they played Everthing is Not Lost and he ad libbed lyrics about it.
Old 10-04-05, 04:13 PM

The story here was about how they got booed off the stage the last time they played in DC when they had to open for Limp Bizkit at the HSFestival.
well of course, HFs people in general have bland boring taste in music
Old 10-04-05, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Shemp

To thank Atlanta he introduced special guest Michael Stipe who then walked out on stage. The rest of the band took a break while Chris Martin played keyboards and Stipe sang 'Nightswimming'. I'm not a big fan of Coldplay, but it sounds like this and other moments made for one hell of a show.
I was there - it was a hell of a show.
Old 10-04-05, 06:17 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I thought martin said he would never play Green Eeys again live, since it was written "about the wrong woman?"
Old 10-04-05, 06:44 PM
Retired

He had said that. I guess he decided to break it out for old times sake or something on the last stop of the US tour.