Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Help finding a song from CSI

Old 09-30-05, 11:16 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Godfather
Thread Starter
 
Michael Corvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 57,731
Help finding a song from CSI

I am looking for a song that was on CSI the other night. iTunes does not carry it. They have the full album that it contains, except for this track. Very odd. What other services are out there? I'm in the dark since iTunes is so easy, that is all I use.

The song is - "Mad World" by Gary Jules, it is a Tears for Fears cover.

Pointing me in the right direction would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Michael Corvin is offline  
Old 10-01-05, 04:28 AM
  #2  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Southcakalaki
Posts: 1,010
Check the Donnie Darko Soundtrack!
Dutin is offline  
Old 10-01-05, 10:24 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,353
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I am looking for a song that was on CSI the other night. iTunes does not carry it. They have the full album that it contains, except for this track. Very odd. What other services are out there? I'm in the dark since iTunes is so easy, that is all I use.

The song is - "Mad World" by Gary Jules, it is a Tears for Fears cover.

Pointing me in the right direction would be much appreciated. Thanks.
It was originally from the soundtrack to Donnie Darko, so you might want to try there.

About a year after the movie came out, the song became a bit of an underground hit, also being featured on shows like Smallville. Because of this, Gary Jules got a record deal through Universal, who in turn re-released his independant album - Trading Snakeoil For Wolftickets - and added "Mad World" to it.

It might be that I-Tunes has only liscensed the 'indie' version of the album - but again, see if they've got the Donnie Darko, and it might be there.
Rocketdog2000 is offline  
Old 10-01-05, 10:44 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
dadaluholla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Wilmington, OH
Posts: 5,491
That is a damn fine song.
dadaluholla is offline  
Old 10-01-05, 10:59 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Godfather
Thread Starter
 
Michael Corvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 57,731
Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000
It was originally from the soundtrack to Donnie Darko, so you might want to try there.

About a year after the movie came out, the song became a bit of an underground hit, also being featured on shows like Smallville. Because of this, Gary Jules got a record deal through Universal, who in turn re-released his independant album - Trading Snakeoil For Wolftickets - and added "Mad World" to it.

It might be that I-Tunes has only liscensed the 'indie' version of the album - but again, see if they've got the Donnie Darko, and it might be there.
Yep figured all this out after looking. iTunes lists the song on the Donnie Darko soundtrack, but it isn't available as a single download, you have to purchase the whole CD.
Michael Corvin is offline  
Old 10-04-05, 12:48 AM
  #6  
DVD Talk Hero
 
PopcornTreeCt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 25,916
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Yep figured all this out after looking. iTunes lists the song on the Donnie Darko soundtrack, but it isn't available as a single download, you have to purchase the whole CD.
Hence, why I will never buy an Ipod.
PopcornTreeCt is offline  
Old 10-04-05, 06:34 AM
  #7  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 3,071
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Hence, why I will never buy an Ipod.
i love my iPod but i'm not enough of a fanatic to not accept criticism of its dominance, but this is ridiculous. i could accept it as an argument not to use iTunes, but to not use an iPod is illogical.

1) iPods and iTunes are separate entities. you don't need to have one for the other, nor vice versa.

2) because one can only download the song in question by buying the whole album does not mean that it's iTunes fault. it means that the record company and artist have not agreed to make their music available on iTunes. the reason this song is available at all on iTunes is because the record label that issued the Donnie Darko soundtrack licenses its music to iTunes and all songs from the soundtrack are made available. the reason why one can only purchase it as part of the whole instead of individually is because the artist/artist's label has not agreed to it.


suffice it to say, the rationale to avoid an iPod because of a song not being available on iTunes doesn't cohere.
-di doctor-
DrRingDing is offline  
Old 10-04-05, 06:49 AM
  #8  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Lower Beaver, Iowa
Posts: 10,522
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Hence, why I will never buy an Ipod.
I have an iPod and I have Gary Jules' "Mad World" on it. As DrRingDing pointed out, your argument makes no sense.

"My local Best Buy doesn't carry a Columbia Pictures DVD I want, hence I will never buy a Sony DVD player."

Last edited by Mr. Salty; 10-04-05 at 06:09 PM.
Mr. Salty is offline  
Old 10-04-05, 01:34 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mordred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 12,214
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Hence, why I will never buy an Ipod.
I'll see your righteous indignation and raise you!

I've got an iPod and from now on I will never listen to it again!
Mordred is offline  
Old 10-04-05, 04:10 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Los Angeles, Ca., USA
Posts: 623
This is funny. After that show aired I went on a search for that song, too. My conclusion: it's not available for legal download as a single anywhere.
Double Down is offline  
Old 10-04-05, 06:08 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Lower Beaver, Iowa
Posts: 10,522
Originally Posted by Double Down
My conclusion: it's not available for legal download as a single anywhere.
It depends on whether you consider AllofMP3.com to be legal. If you do, it is.
Mr. Salty is offline  
Old 10-04-05, 07:35 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 4,740
man, it sounds a hell of a lot like REM.

anyway, that does kind of annoy me about iTunes.. the fact that the rest of the songs on the Cd can be purchased individually, except for a few. I want this song, and I'm also putting together a Scrubs season-by-season soundtrack on my iPod. Nina Simone's "Sinnerman" is on iTunes, under the "Nina Simone Anthology" but you can't by that song individually. But you can buy every other song in the anthology individually.

And I do understand that it's not really the fault of iTunes. It's just annoying.
Big Boy Laroux is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.