Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Fall Out Boy -- Thoughts?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 07-22-05, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

So I finally got to listen to Fall Out Boys most recent album "From Under the Cork Tree". I didn't know much about them except for Sugar I'm Going Down, which I enjoy. So I listened and I liked. A lot of the songs may sound the same but it was still good. I got to listen to their previous album and its pretty much the same thing.

Only complaint about the band is that they are cookie-cutter emo. I could pay $10, go to an emo show and see 7 or 8 Fall Out Boys.
Old 07-23-05, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Have heard maybe one of their songs on the Burnout 3 soundtrack. They're not bad, but I don't see myself going out of my way to try and hear them.
Old 07-23-05, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Pretty boring to me. Nothing to write home about. I've yet to hear an emo band better than Jimmy Eat World.
Old 07-23-05, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I place them in the punk category. They are one of the bands that are putting fun back into punk songs, much like Blink 182 did a few years ago. None of their songs are about daddy not loving them enough and that's just fine with me. I'll catch them on the Warped Tour this year on main stage. Looking forward to it.
Old 07-23-05, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I love them.
Old 07-23-05, 09:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any band that has 8 to 10 words in a song title and references the '80s like no other gets a from me.

Swooning over Molly Ringwald so fun.
Old 07-24-05, 02:03 AM

I think their new cd is better than their first. It sucks that MTV grabbed a hold of them, I'm sure they'll be a slew of haters out there.
Old 07-24-05, 04:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts
I had never heard of them before going to the Warped Tour a week or two ago. One of my friends wanted to see them. See them we did. Nobody in my group was impressed at all. If they can't rock the fuck out, then I probably won't find any further interest in them.
Old 07-24-05, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I can't stand this band. To me, they're the most painfully generic pop-punk band I've ever heard (and I've heard a lot). I picked up their first album from the Fueled By Ramen tent at Warped a couple years ago and thought it was terrible. Haven't heard the new stuff, and I don't plan to either. Plus, I saw them open for Less Than Jake about 2 years ago, and they suck live too.

Anyway, just my $0.02
Old 07-25-05, 02:38 AM

I think they're quite good. Funny song titles. Also, the line "I'm just a notch in your bedpost, but you're just line in a song" is quite good
Old 07-26-05, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The album was ok for me. I got it after reading some reviews of their previous album but there wasn't anything memorable and that really stood out on this album for me except for the really, really long song titles.
Old 02-19-07, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm getting into them now. I've enjoyed Dance, Dance (a rather short song title for them), Grand Theft Autumn/Where Is Your boy Tonight and Sugar, We're Goin' Down, plus the new one This Ain't A Scene....

I'm going to try and get more "in tune" with their material.
Old 03-06-07, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, even though I pan them earlier in this thread, I gave the new album a spin. It's pretty good. Songs 2,3 and 4 are awesome, with Arms Race my fav of the album.
Old 03-06-07, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

there's some Fall Out Boy song on some phone commercial that has some douchebag at the gym "rocking out" to them. I wasn't a fan of what I heard.
Old 03-06-07, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dick_grayson
there's some Fall Out Boy song on some phone commercial that has some douchebag at the gym "rocking out" to them. I wasn't a fan of what I heard.
That's This is Not a Scene, It's an Arms Race. It's a pretty decent song in full.
Old 03-06-07, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

When I realized they were the guys behind "Dance Dance" I pretty much tuned out. Maybe not the best approach, but that's what I did. I've become interested in trying the new album, but I won't chase it down at full price.
Old 03-06-07, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's what iTunes is for. Download a few from the new album (including Arms Race and Thks Fr Th Mmrs), then see if you like it.

= J
Old 03-06-07, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

saw them live...NOT SPECIAL whatsoever

secondly-am I the only one who thought the guy who never wears a shirt was the lead singer?????
Old 03-06-07, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by dick_grayson
That's a truly awful annoying commercial, isn't it. That said, I like the full song that I've heard under better conditions. If the rest of the CD is reasonably good I might break down and buy this. Even though I'll get mocked by my "cool" rocker friends for buying something in the Top 10. Maybe waiting for a good sale price at a B&M store near me.
Old 03-07-07, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Completely forgettable, unimaginative, MTV, fashion crap. It's the kind of stuff that two years from now, most of their 'fans' will have denied listening to. My personal rule is, if any band member has a swoop or faux hawk, then avoid it like the bubonic plague.
Old 03-07-07, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, because having a swoop or a faux hawk means their music just can't be good.

= J
Old 03-07-07, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Their new album is growing on me. A friend of mine has it. I at first railed it because it has a very smooth, almost R & B, Maroon 5-esque vibe it to. Like I said it has grown on me some. I much prefer their counterpart Panic! At the Disco.
Old 03-07-07, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by gmal2003
I at first railed it because it has a very smooth, almost R & B, Maroon 5-esque vibe it to.

What?! I didn't get that at all, except for maybe one song. Just saying that those are not the descriptives I would have used for accuracy's sake.

The new album actually turned out much better than I thought it would have, so I ended up picking it up, very cheap, first week it was out.

I would even have to disagree with freshticles, to a degree, but I know he's just writing them off at face value, and all truth be told, I proably would have done so myself before I actually listened to the album. But ultimately, I think singer/guitarist Patrick Stump should just go solo, and would be better for it.

That said, there are a lot of decent tunes on the new record, with "The (After) Life Of the Party" being what I would consider my fave. A couple of songs "I'm Like a Lawyer..." (especially in the chorus parts) and "Golden" could practically be Superdrag songs.
Old 03-07-07, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Tarantino
Yes, because having a swoop or a faux hawk means their music just can't be good.

= J
Honestly, pretty much.
Old 03-07-07, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000

I would even have to disagree with freshticles, to a degree, but I know he's just writing them off at face value, and all truth be told, I proably would have done so myself before I actually listened to the album. But ultimately, I think singer/guitarist Patrick Stump should just go solo, and would be better for it.
I'm a guitar teacher. I've heard the album. Trust me I teach it all day long. It's empty calories, disposable music. It's only good until the next fashion punk band comes along. Two years ago every 2nd student wanted to learn Sum 41 and alexisonfire. Now it's My Chemical Romance and Fall Out Boy and I haven't taught a Sum 41 song in the last year. For me, there's just so many more important bands, that focus on writing solid albums, and don't focus on what eyeliner to wear or what color their hair should be. That to me is just a repeat of all the shitty glam bands we saw in the eighties. Honestly, who listens to Winger or Ratt anymore?

Last edited by freshticles; 03-07-07 at 04:16 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.