Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Volume III: 'Live 8' Benefit Concerts - the aftermath

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Volume III: 'Live 8' Benefit Concerts - the aftermath

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-05, 09:03 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Flashback
That is the dumbest, most ignorant post you have made. I grew up in the NYC area, and believe me Chicago is not a "bumblefuck" (? ) city. As a matter of fact I believe it is a major market. Somewhere around Little Rock or so . You work(ed) in radio, you should know that by now.

Edit: By the way what poll is it that "Marge" was a landsilde in?
I didn't know you lived in Chicago. Unfortunately I didn't look before I posted that.

Either way, I'm out of this thread. If you want to continue to bash me and the "rock that I live under," I'll have to take that up with the mods.

And for the record, it's WORK...as in...worked all weekend there.

Last edited by digitalfreaknyc; 07-10-05 at 09:05 PM.
Old 07-10-05, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
I didn't know you lived in Chicago. Unfortunately I didn't look before I posted that.

Either way, I'm out of this thread. If you want to continue to bash me and the "rock that I live under," I'll have to take that up with the mods.
Go ahead - report me for any violation I have made in regards to this thread.

Oh wait...what poll was that again? 3x is a charm I know.
Old 07-11-05, 01:48 AM

It is when the person lives in the U.S. and works at a, and likes, rock music station. When you post...

"I have a question...who the hell are Pink Floyd and The Who and why do we care so much?? lol"
-Uhm they are one of the biggest rock bands of all time. Love them or hate them ... they are.

"Am I into rock music? Yes."
-Well, I have to really disagree on that if you 'really' like rock music.

"And according to the posting above, they never had a top 10 hit. That's reason enough I wouldn't know them if I wasn't even alive when they were around AND that also means stations today probably aren't playing them."
-Being alive at a time means nothing. I wasn't alive for many artists from jazz, blues, country and classical. I still know the genre I like, even ones I do not, and know the importance of artists from way back. Oh, I heard Pink Floyd about 5 times today on different stations. No stations are playing them? Not saying you have to like these artists but to ask "What is the big deal?"
Way to miss the point. If someone says they haven't heard of any artist including Pink Floyd OR The Who OR Velvet Underground OR Madonna or whoever its counter productive to say "WOW JESUS WEPT, YOU MUST LIVE UNDER A ROCK OR IN SOME AMISH TOWN OR THAT TOWN FROM FOOTLOOSE!" Why not? For one thing this thread which is quite frankly one of the most obnoxious things i have read in a while. No one is qualified to decide which artists are the ones to know in order to be considered a true music fan (whatever that means). It does not matter how old the artist is or what genre they are in, or how many albums they fucking sold; there are probably more people who have not heard of the different artists discussed today than who have (which i'm sure i'll get a nasty comment from someone about that). I guess my point is i don't think you can quantify what separates true music fans and those who have poor tastes. More imporantly this concert was about people who don't have the means to get into assinine arguements about bullshit.

Oh and my Grandmother had no idea who Pink Floyd is, she listens to mostly Hawaiian music and Journey...she considers herself to be a true music fan.
Old 07-11-05, 11:36 AM
Retired

No one broke any rules. People just find it increduous that you could like music, have worked at a radio station, and never heard of The Who or Pink Floyd.

It doesn't matter that you don't like that type of music. If you're into music at all you would have heard of them.

That's like if I said I'd never heard of Cher because I hate pop music (which I do).

If you're really big into music, you know all the major, influential acts in at least all the mainstream genres.
Old 07-11-05, 11:56 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Elpresidentepez

Oh and my Grandmother had no idea who Pink Floyd is, she listens to mostly Hawaiian music and Journey...she considers herself to be a true music fan.
she sounds like a classy lady.

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
If you're really big into music, you know all the major, influential acts in at least all the mainstream genres.

so is it wrong not to know who Brooks & Dunn are?
Old 07-11-05, 12:01 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by Giles
so is it wrong not to know who Brooks & Dunn are?
Wrong? No. But odd.

I fucking loathe country music, and I at least know the name. It's impossible not to if you're big enough into music to listen to the radio, watch music videos, read music magazines etc.

If you're just a casual music fan, then sure, you won't know all the big artists in the big genres.
Old 07-11-05, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts
5) the stations YOU listen to and the stations *I* listen to are VERY different. I'm also in a major market. We're going to play more popular music than out in bumblefuck where you live. The stations I listen to/work for also only play popular music. Sorry, but The Who and PF aren't considered "popular music." You heard them 5 times today? Great. I hope it made you happy. I personally couldn't give a shit and doesn't have a bearing on my life nor this debate.
I'd rather live in Bumblefuck than Headupyourassville.
Old 07-11-05, 01:27 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Wrong? No. But odd.

I fucking loathe country music, and I at least know the name. It's impossible not to if you're big enough into music to listen to the radio, watch music videos, read music magazines etc.

If you're just a casual music fan, then sure, you won't know all the big artists in the big genres.
the reason I had asked was that a friend of mine was totally clueless as to the name - I mean I'm not a fan of country music either, but at least I've actually heard the name and am familiar with the genre, albeit the more popular mass appeal bands/singers.

at lunch here at work, a colleague and myself were talking about various bands/artists at Live8, and I have to admit, I was like Rob Thomas - who the **** is he, why is he so popular (drab and unmemorable music IMO)?
Old 07-11-05, 01:31 PM
Retired

That's understandable, Rob Thomas is by no means a household name on his own. I'd say most people have heard of Matchbox 20, but even they aren't Pink Floyd, The Who, or Brooks and Dunn.
Old 07-11-05, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That's understandable, Rob Thomas is by no means a household name on his own.
Really, even after the Tom Cruise, caught in bed together episode? OR whatever the stupid rumour was/is.
Old 07-11-05, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Elpresidentepez
Way to miss the point.
No I do not think so. Missing the point is comparing the debate with a couple of bands that have been around for 5 decades to Napolean Dynamite which has been out, what, a year and not even a blockbuster?

Oh Hawaiian music is great....Henry Kapono brah.
Old 07-11-05, 05:23 PM

No I do not think so. Missing the point is comparing the debate with a couple of bands that have been around for 5 decades to Napolean Dynamite which has been out, what, a year and not even a blockbuster?

Oh Hawaiian music is great....Henry Kapono brah.
Actually missing the point is responding to a small part of my post and ignoring the rest...it's not that long.