Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Volume III: 'Live 8' Benefit Concerts - the aftermath

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Volume III: 'Live 8' Benefit Concerts - the aftermath

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-05, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 279 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by TomOpus
The complete VH1 broadcast will include performances by: Paul McCartney & U2, U2, Coldplay, Bon Jovi, Elton John, Will Smith, Annie Lennox, Keane, Dave Matthews Band, Orchestra Baobab, Madonna, Maroon 5, Joss Stone, Velvet Revolver, Sting, Rob Thomas, Mariah Carey, Robbie Williams, the Who, Pink Floyd, Stevie Wonder and Paul McCartney.
More details from VH1.com

Featured Performances this Saturday on Vh1:

* Paul McCartney & U2 - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band
* U2 - Beautiful Day
* U2 - Vertigo
* U2 - One
* U2 - Unchained Melody
* Coldplay - In My Place
* Coldplay - Bittersweet Symphony
* Coldplay - Fix You
* Bon Jovi - Livin' On A Prayer
* Bon Jovi - Have A Nice Day
* Bon Jovi - It's My Life
* Elton John - The Bitch Is Back
* Elton John - Saturday's Alright For Fighting
* Elton John - Children Of The Revolution
* Will Smith - Jiggy With It
* Will Smith - Switch
* Will Smith - Fresh Prince Of Bel Air
* Annie Lennox - Sweet Dreams
* Annie Lennox - Why
* Keane - Somewhere Only We Know
* Keane - Bedshaped
* Dave Matthews Band - Dream Girl
* Dave Matthews Band - American Baby
* Dave Matthews Band - Too Much
* Madonna - Like a Prayer
* Madonna - Ray Of Light
* Madonna - Music
* Maroon 5 - This Love
* Maroon 5 - She Will Be Loved
* Maroon 5 - Rockin' in the Free World
* Joss Stone - Super Duper Love
* Joss Stone - Some Kind Of Wonderful
* Velver Revolver - Do It For The Kids
* Velver Revolver - Fall To Pieces AND Slither
* Sting - Message In A Bottle
* Sting - Driven To Tears
* Sting - Every Breath You Take
* Rob Thomas - Lonely No More
* Rob Thomas - 3am
* Rob Thomas - This Is How a Heart Breaks
* Mariah Carey - Make It Happen
* Mariah Carey - Hero
* Mariah Carey - We Belong Together
* The Who- Who Are You
* The Who - Won't Get Fooled Again
* Pink Floyd - Breathe
* Pink Floyd - Money
* Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
* Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb
* Stevie Wonder - Higher Ground
* Stevie Wonder - Time To Love
* Stevie Wonder - Signed, Sealed, Delivered
* Stevie Wonder - So What's the Fuss
* Stevie Wonder - Superstition
* Paul McCartney - Get Back
* Paul McCartney - Drive My Car
* Paul McCartney - Helter Skelter
* Paul McCartney - The Long And Winding Road
* Paul McCartney - Hey Jude
Old 07-09-05, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Not a single performance from the Canadian show,nice.Glad i dont get VH-1
Old 07-09-05, 09:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by astrochimp
Not a single performance from the Canadian show,nice.Glad i dont get VH-1

So it looks like there will be repeats between the VH1 and MTV broadcasts, since another person posted the lineups in another thread showing that Pink Floyd was going to be on VH1 and MTV.

That sucks, since I wanted 10 hours of non duplicated performances.

This means more editing of the 10 hours, which is going to be more time consuming.

Chris
Old 07-09-05, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I just saw the Floyd set for the 1st time today, and I have to say that I was even more moved by the reunion that I expected. These guys got up on stage and played superbly, as if they split had never split. I give these guys a lot of credit for burying their hatchets, and those were some sharp ones that had been used to bloody each other over many years. And it wasn't done (like so many others) for a giant paycheck, but for a great cause. Kudos Guys!
Old 07-09-05, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,308 Likes on 952 Posts
I love the spin MTV puts on this during their replay. John Norris comes on and says (to the effect of) "Our viewers wanted full sets so we're gonna give you 5 hours worth".

Like they're doing us a fuckin' favor!

Bastards.....
Old 07-09-05, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Full sets? I've been watching off and on throughout the day and saw only one song performed by the Killers (one of the few groups in the show that I really wanted to see), among others. I thought each band got 15 minutes.

I will say that it was nice to see the full Pink Floyd set on TV, rather than my laptop monitor.
Old 07-09-05, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DJLinus
Full sets? I've been watching off and on throughout the day and saw only one song performed by the Killers (one of the few groups in the show that I really wanted to see), among others. I thought each band got 15 minutes.

I will say that it was nice to see the full Pink Floyd set on TV, rather than my laptop monitor.
Actually, in this case I think that the Killers only did one song...
Old 07-09-05, 06:57 PM

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by TomOpus
I love the spin MTV puts on this during their replay. John Norris comes on and says (to the effect of) "Our viewers wanted full sets so we're gonna give you 5 hours worth".
"We've just received word that the M in our network's name actually does stand for Music, so as a special favor to you, something radical, we'll play some."

(It was a great day though. Kinda made me nostalgic for the old days of MTV.)
Old 07-09-05, 11:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
I never said I'd never heard of them. obviously i have. I've heard of Tommy and I've heard of The Wall. But since I am not into that type of music (i'm assuming classic rock) and none of my friends or family members are, why should I know who they are? But apparently they're christ and Im just a non-believer. I never thought I'd be crucified for something so trivial.
My 70 year old grandmother knows who Pink Floyd is, and she doesn't speak any english!

If you're in any way a fan of music, you absolutely must know who PF or the Who might be.

I have albums from both and from Madonna (growing up during her big years), and I have always known that her popularity is nothing compared to what Pink Floyd or The Who continue to have so many years after their "prime".

Regardless, I always enjoy digitalfreaknyc's comments on many threads!

Last edited by juanmgonzalez; 07-09-05 at 11:12 PM.
Old 07-09-05, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Numanoid
UK newspaper the Daily Mirror reports that since Madonna's performance on Saturday at Live 8 sales of The Immaculate Collection have soared by 200%.

You mean "doubled"?
Possibly tripled. If sales increased by 100% (doubled), then the paper might have used the expression "soared by 100%".

Either way, why didn't they just say "sales have doubled (or tripled) since the performance". Far easier.
Old 07-09-05, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
This tidbit was in one of the NY papers about the Madonna/Mariah tiff. Thought it was funny.
THE bad blood between Madonna and Mariah Carey backstage at Live 8 in London has been boiling for at least a decade. We reported that Madonna ordered underlings to keep Carey "far away" from her during the African-aid concert. Yesterday, gossip Web site Jossip dished that the ill will stems from nasty remarks Madonna made about Carey in 1995, when Mariah was a chart-topping juggernaut and Madonna's popularity was waning. The site posted a video that MTV Europe dug up of Carey hitting back that same year, saying, "I really haven't paid attention to Madonna since like seventh or eighth grade, when she used to be popular."
Old 07-09-05, 11:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rogue588
This tidbit was in one of the NY papers about the Madonna/Mariah tiff. Thought it was funny.
Amusing because Madonna was off making Evita in 1995 and I'm not exactly sure if her doing something else for a year constitutes a career that's waning.
And if you know anything about Madonna, you know never to listen to rumors.

My 70 year old grandmother knows who Pink Floyd is, and she doesn't speak any english!
Well, as I've stated before, they're of an older generation.
I actually just watched The Who and PF from the MTV/VH1 playbacks. Have to say I think I recognized the first Who song but nothing else. The Who was pretty good but PF did absolutely nothing for me. Just my opinion and I'm sure I'll get slaughtered for it. But yeah, nothing.
Robbie Williams, on the other hand, I thought was fantastic. Didn't get to see his before and was pretty pleased with it.

In other news, there's a poll going on in the UK for best performance and Madonna is currently leading by a landslide.
Old 07-10-05, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Amusing because Madonna was off making Evita in 1995 and I'm not exactly sure if her doing something else for a year constitutes a career that's waning.
And if you know anything about Madonna, you know never to listen to rumors.
Yes, and, of course this was around the time Mariah had her "breakdown" too. Hey, if this "rumor" is true, i'd definitely be on Maddy's "side". It's just that snide Mariah comment made me chuckle.
Old 07-10-05, 04:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In other news, there's a poll going on in the UK for best performance and Madonna is currently leading by a landslide.
Who's conducting it?
Old 07-10-05, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Which one? What artists were on the voting list?

The BBC polls has it right now, with all artists available in the UK show, at ...

Pink Floyd 170,710 votes - leading
Velvet Revolver 65,845 votes - 2nd
Madonna 19,077 votes - 3rd

Link

Last edited by Flashback; 07-10-05 at 06:48 AM.
Old 07-10-05, 11:44 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
GuessWho - there's a song missing from your list - it was a song from a African group from the Johannesberg show. What was the MTV set list? I bet they shafted the Kaiser Chiefs and Scissor Sisters.

As to my favourite performance/song that is hands down:
The Who - Won't Get Fooled Again
Old 07-10-05, 02:31 PM

digitalfreaknyc, Screw the people giving you shit about PF and the Who. I always get annoyed by this pop culture pissing contest, "Who knows more?!?!" The fact is every human at some point in the lives have not heard of Pink Floyd, Madonna, the Who, and any other artist; it doesn't make you less of a person or a music fan. I used to give a friend shit because she hadn't seen Star Wars and one day some other friends were talking about the movie Napoleon Dynamite and when i mentioned i had not seen it they were shocked. "I can't believe you haven't seen that movie!" I was like; "Really? you really can't believe that? of all the movies EVER made YOU can't believe i haven't seen THAT one movie?" Then i realized how annoying it is when you constantly give people shit about movies and music. Thats rant one.

I was out if town during the original airings on MTV so i recorded it, boy was i disappointed. I'm glad they reaired it, but it would have been nice if they aired EVERY PERFORMANCE, even artists i had not heard of and artists i don't care for. When watching the Saturday coverage my step dad and uncle were complaining about certain performers, like Mariah Carey and Robbie Williams they did not understand why they were airing people they have not heard of (Williams) and people they did not like (Carey). People need to realize that outside of their own tastes there are thousands of artists and a event like this was to pull people in from all over the world and of different backgrounds.
Old 07-10-05, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Elpresidentepez
I used to give a friend shit because she hadn't seen Star Wars and one day some other friends were talking about the movie Napoleon Dynamite and when i mentioned i had not seen it they were shocked. "I can't believe you haven't seen that movie!" I was like; "Really? you really can't believe that? of all the movies EVER made YOU can't believe i haven't seen THAT one movie?" Then i realized how annoying it is when you constantly give people shit about movies and music. Thats rant one.
Good thing you didn't tell them you don't own a Napoleon Dynamite lunchbox.
Old 07-10-05, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Not having seen Napoleon Dynamite is one thing. The movie is like a year old and, while I enjoyed it myself, I don't think it's likely to make a huge dent in the history of filmmaking.

Not having a clue on the what The Who or Pink Floyd mean to the history of music when they are two of the biggest rock bands ever and have been around for about four decades is a little bit different. But that's just my opinion. And remember, I'm not even a fan of The Who, but I know who they are and what they have meant to rock 'n roll.
Old 07-10-05, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Elpresidentepez
digitalfreaknyc, Screw the people giving you shit about PF and the Who. I always get annoyed by this pop culture pissing contest, "Who knows more?!?!" The fact is every human at some point in the lives have not heard of Pink Floyd, Madonna, the Who, and any other artist;
It is when the person lives in the U.S. and works at a, and likes, rock music station. When you post...

"I have a question...who the hell are Pink Floyd and The Who and why do we care so much?? lol"
-Uhm they are one of the biggest rock bands of all time. Love them or hate them ... they are.

"Am I into rock music? Yes."
-Well, I have to really disagree on that if you 'really' like rock music.

"And according to the posting above, they never had a top 10 hit. That's reason enough I wouldn't know them if I wasn't even alive when they were around AND that also means stations today probably aren't playing them."
-Being alive at a time means nothing. I wasn't alive for many artists from jazz, blues, country and classical. I still know the genre I like, even ones I do not, and know the importance of artists from way back. Oh, I heard Pink Floyd about 5 times today on different stations. No stations are playing them? Not saying you have to like these artists but to ask "What is the big deal?"

Here is a bit of history then on just PF...
- Among all artists, Pink Floyd ranks #7 in number of albums sold in the U.S. (68.5 million), behind The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Garth Brooks, Elvis Presley, the Eagles and Billy Joel.
- Only Pink Floyd, The Beatles and the Eagles have two albums in the Top 20 of the biggest selling albums in the U.S. Pink Floyd is represented by the #3 The Wall (23 times platinum) and #19 Dark Side Of The Moon (15 times platinum, approximately 29 million copies worldwide).
- With the October 13, 2001 edition of Billboard, Dark Side Of The Moon, released March 17, 1973, celebrated its 1,278th week on either the Top 200 Pop Album or Top Pop Catalog Album chart. No other album has stayed longer on any chart in history.
- Dark Side Of The Moon was initially in the Top 200 for 741 nearly consecutive weeks, more than 14 years (591 consecutive weeks from 1976-1987). Oddly, the album never reached #1 in the band's native U.K. and hit #1 in the U.S. for just one week (April 28, 1973). The album broke the six years-plus record of Carole King's 1971 landmark Tapestry. The previous champ of chart longevity was a 1958 greatest hits album from Johnny Mathis.
- In 1991, Dark Side Of The Moon returned to the charts after Billboard instituted its Pop Catalog category. The album not only went to #1 and established residency on that chart for the past 10 years but has remained almost entirely in the Top 10.
- Available on vinyl and cassette since its release, Dark Side Of The Moon was one of the first albums to popularize CD technology, and has been available on compact disc since August 1984. In fact, it's EMI CD label number is EMI001. The disc is one of the Top 10 best-selling CDs of all time.
- There is more to Pink Floyd than Dark Side Of The Moon and The Wall. Of the band's Capitol albums, Wish You Were Here (1975) also reached #1 and is six times platinum. Meddle (1971) is double platinum. Ummagumma (1969) is platinum. Three other Capitol albums are gold.
- Pink Floyd was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1996.

Last edited by Flashback; 07-10-05 at 06:11 PM.
Old 07-10-05, 08:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Flashback
It is when the person lives in the U.S. and works at a, and likes, rock music station. When you post...

"I have a question...who the hell are Pink Floyd and The Who and why do we care so much?? lol"
-Uhm they are one of the biggest rock bands of all time. Love them or hate them ... they are.

"Am I into rock music? Yes."
-Well, I have to really disagree on that if you 'really' like rock music.

"And according to the posting above, they never had a top 10 hit. That's reason enough I wouldn't know them if I wasn't even alive when they were around AND that also means stations today probably aren't playing them."
-Being alive at a time means nothing. I wasn't alive for many artists from jazz, blues, country and classical. I still know the genre I like, even ones I do not, and know the importance of artists from way back. Oh, I heard Pink Floyd about 5 times today on different stations. No stations are playing them? Not saying you have to like these artists but to ask "What is the big deal?"

1) NEVER said I work at a rock station. Your words. Not mine.

2) I said I worked at an Oldies station which wouldn't play anything as "hard" as PF. The Who, possibly. But, again, neither one really had top 40 hits so they wouldn't be played here in NYC on the station I worked at.
PF had a #1 hit with Another Brick in the Wall Pt 2
The Who had one top 10 hit: I Can See For Miles.

3)I said I was a fan of Rock, yes but it's not the type of "rock" you all are listnening to. It's more pop/rock and before I say any more, I'm going to shut up since I'm SURE someone will rip that one apart and make fun of me for that as well.

4) I never said I hated PF. I never said I hated The Who. All I wanted to know was what the big deal was. I'm not interested in that type of music. No one in my famliy listens to that type music. None of my friends listen to that type music. There's nothing WRONG with it...but no one is interested. Therefore, since I had no one else to turn to and because I wanted an honest answer, I asked you guys who seemed to be interested in seeing different bands play than myself or anyone else I knew. And what happened? I was ripped apart. I was discredited. And to that, I say that you can all kiss my ass. Just because I don't know who someone is or if i'm not interested in a particular group does not mean that I'm not worthy of calling myself a music fan. And if you feel otherwise, tell your friends, your wife, your dog or someone else who actually gives a shit. For the most part, the last few pages have been full of people mocking me or insulting me for my musical tastes and my disinterest in these two rock bands. I never insulted anyone who actually liked these bands. I kept my mouth shut and what little I said was trying to defend myself.

5) the stations YOU listen to and the stations *I* listen to are VERY different. I'm also in a major market. We're going to play more popular music than out in bumblefuck where you live. The stations I listen to/work for also only play popular music. Sorry, but The Who and PF aren't considered "popular music." You heard them 5 times today? Great. I hope it made you happy. I personally couldn't give a shit and doesn't have a bearing on my life nor this debate.

6) Again, if you had a problem with my asking "what's the big deal" then go somewhere else and bitch to someone else. I'm allowed to ask it. If people are allowed to ask why certain popular movies are any good, i'm allowed to ask why the reunion of a bunch of "has-beens" who made shit music in the first place (from what I've heard IMHO) are causing such a stir. And to be honest, at this point I have very little interest in exploring their music if this is the asinine manner in which their fans act.

Anything else you'd like to cover? Or can we move on.

Last edited by digitalfreaknyc; 07-10-05 at 08:25 PM.
Old 07-10-05, 08:48 PM
Retired

Must have been a huge fucking rock you've been living under is all I can say.
Old 07-10-05, 08:51 PM

I could pick through your postings for a long time pointing out inconsistansies and things that just don't make sense, but I won't bother. Just one thing I liked from your reply above though:
...who made shit music in the first place (from what I've heard IMHO)
So you heard someone say they make shit music and now it's your oppinion? This is really where your whole argument falls apart is when you say you're a big music fan, yet somehow you know little, and you still form oppinions, as seen above, about these bands.
Old 07-10-05, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm also in a major market. We're going to play more popular music than out in bumblefuck where you live.
That is the dumbest, most ignorant post you have made. I grew up in the NYC area, and believe me Chicago is not a "bumblefuck" (? ) city. As a matter of fact I believe it is a major market. Somewhere around Little Rock or so . You work(ed) in radio, you should know that by now.

Edit: By the way what poll is it that "Marge" was a landsilde in?

Last edited by Flashback; 07-10-05 at 09:00 PM.
Old 07-10-05, 09:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by The Ferret
I could pick through your postings for a long time pointing out inconsistansies and things that just don't make sense, but I won't bother. Just one thing I liked from your reply above though:

So you heard someone say they make shit music and now it's your oppinion? This is really where your whole argument falls apart is when you say you're a big music fan, yet somehow you know little, and you still form oppinions, as seen above, about these bands.
It's called frustration. Look it up.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.