Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Looks like Queen isn't the only one doing it..

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-05, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got this tidbit of information from a newletter i'm subscribed to. They're usually pretty accurate, so i'd be surprised if this was false.

Former Police guitarist Andy Summers and drummer Stewart Copeland are reportedly reforming the band with vocalist/bassist Tony Lewis of The
Outfield dubbing themselves the New Police.
Old 01-24-05, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,189 Likes on 4,216 Posts
Worst. Idea. Ever.
Old 01-25-05, 07:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Doors of the 21st century started it.
Old 01-25-05, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I told my fiancee that the Outfield guy had some Sting characteristics in his voice, but she didn't think so! But I agree. This has got to be one of the worst ideas in the past decade of music. I do think it'd be great to see the trio back together, but it's not the Police without all three of them.. to me it was odd hearing backing vocalists on the Live Synchronicity disc.

If Sting doesn't want to do it, then fine. I wish he would though.. The funny thing about this story is, in the past, it's never been about money, at least to Stewart. He's said that if they just did a few shows and gave all the money to charity, he'd be delighted to be playing with Andy and Sting again in the group. The "New Police" idea just sounds... off.
Old 01-25-05, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Decker
Worst. Idea. Ever.
even worse, since the original lead singer (sting) is STILL ALIVE,... just stupid
Old 01-25-05, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by The Black
The Doors of the 21st century started it.
Well as far as band's reforming with new singers, I believe there were other before them. The Misfits..... Dead Kennedys...... Journey.....
Old 01-25-05, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Guess it's 'cuz he's too busy making AC music..
Old 01-25-05, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 271 Likes on 170 Posts
Originally Posted by darqleo
Well as far as band's reforming with new singers, I believe there were other before them. The Misfits..... Dead Kennedys...... Journey.....
Styx is missing Dennis DeYoung, Iron Maiden had a new singer for a while, and who can forget Sammy Hagar replacing Dave in Van Halen?

The WORST idea is actually what INXS is doing... finding a new singer using an American Idol-type talent show on TV
Old 01-25-05, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by GuessWho
who can forget Sammy Hagar replacing Dave in Van Halen?
and Gary Cherone replacing him ....
Old 01-25-05, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I heard that due to a lot of lineup changes, the Thin Lizzy that toured a few years ago had no original members.
Old 01-25-05, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
I actually preferred the 'new' Misfits to the 'old' Misfits. I won't deny the Danzig 'fits had a greater impact on music/punk/alternative, but to me, the new Misfits were better musically and just more fun to listen to.
But it is kind of weird, to think of a 'band' that is missing some or all of the members of the band. Where do you draw the line?

AC/DC had Bon Scott and Brian Johnson [who did sound like Bon, at least at first.]
the Rollins Band [currently] is basically Henry and whatever musicians he can find for that album.
And of course GWAR changes members all the time; the roles stay the same, but not the inhabitants of those roles.

That INXS thing is pretty bad. Will the band still be called INXS? Then again, I'd rather have actual musicians do some sort of open casting thing like that and give opportunity to some nobodies, than the 'real' American Idol show.
Old 01-25-05, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
As bad as this sounds, I'm sure it'll be far better than most of Sting's solo work.
Old 01-25-05, 05:16 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by GuessWho
[....] Iron Maiden had a new singer for a while[....]
Much as I love those first two albums, I'm not sure whether Paul DiAnno would really cut the mustard these days.

[]
Old 01-25-05, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

well, there was "The Heads" without david byrne...
Old 01-25-05, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,189 Likes on 4,216 Posts
Originally Posted by Hollowgen
well, there was "The Heads" without david byrne...
Yes, but they were "Just Heads, No Talking". This would be like hiring the lead singer from Survivor to take over his vocals. It's just wrong.

Or like the "reunited" Journey that tours now without Steve Perry. Seriously, what's the point? Who does that appeal to?
Old 01-25-05, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by slop101
As bad as this sounds, I'm sure it'll be far better than most of Sting's solo work.
I know a thousand middle-aged white women who are going to kick your ass for that.
Old 01-26-05, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yes, but they were "Just Heads, No Talking". This would be like hiring the lead singer from Survivor to take over his vocals. It's just wrong.

Or like the "reunited" Journey that tours now without Steve Perry. Seriously, what's the point? Who does that appeal to?
ok ok, what about CCR(evisited)?
Old 01-26-05, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Am I the only person alive who loves the Police and Sting's solo work?

I could never quite get into Andy's solo stuff, granted I only tried two albums, and I'm not familiar with anything Stewart's done outside of the one Animal Logic cd I've got.

As far as new members in old bands go, it usually only feels right (or more okay I guess) if the band has a long history of changing members. The easy example being Fleetwood Mac, who's gone through what, like 16 line-up changes?
Old 01-26-05, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

There's a lot of people out there who couldn't care less about the personalities in a band. All they want to do is get stoned and go to a concert to hear some party tunes, dude. Speaking of Steve Perry and Journey anyone see their induction into the walk of fame. Steve Perry and Neil Schon and the new lead singer were there. Not a comfortable situation.
Old 01-26-05, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,074 Likes on 650 Posts
You guys are overlooking the worst offenders in the music business as far as "replacements" go...Motown and other "oldies" groups.

Groups like The Four Tops, The Temptations, The Platters and others send out these groups on tours with maybe one old original member (who is barely alive and has to sit in a rocking chair or use a walker onstage while breathing oxygen) or a grandson of the original member and then 2 or 3 other normal singers who call themselves The Temptations or whatever group they are singing in this week.

These groups are truly pathetic and are even worse if you see them live.
Old 01-26-05, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally Posted by reverie
Am I the only person alive who loves the Police and Sting's solo work?
Nope, I'm a big fan, since every Police AND Sting tour since 1981.
Old 01-26-05, 02:37 PM
JAA
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cungar
. . . Speaking of Steve Perry and Journey anyone see their induction into the walk of fame. Steve Perry and Neil Schon and the new lead singer were there. Not a comfortable situation.
What's the NEW lead singer doing there? He had NOTHING to do with that accomplishment.
Old 01-26-05, 02:48 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
That's great for Stew and Andy, but whose songs are they going to perform? Sting was the primary songwriter in the group.
Old 01-26-05, 02:51 PM

Much as I love those first two albums, I'm not sure whether Paul DiAnno would really cut the mustard these days
I got it.
Old 01-27-05, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

....and lynyrd skynyrd

We currently have two original members in the band, an original member who died about 2 years ago that played with the current band, two more originals that are alive and well and doing stuff with their own bands, and the brother of the lead singer singing.

Also, I don't feel AC/DC replacing Brian Johnson with Bon Scott was a bad move....No one that sees AC/DC live ever says, "He's no Bon Scott." To me, Brian is "original" and he is AC/DC (not to disrespect Bon Scott).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.