Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Ever get into a band after you saw them in concert?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Ever get into a band after you saw them in concert?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-04, 05:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've tried on several occasions to get into bands after hearing them, but they all keep telling me the same thing:

"Dude, you don't even play an instrument, and we're not looking for new members. How did you get on the bus?"
Old 10-31-04, 06:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sugar Ray.

I hated every single song I had ever heard by them on the radio. Then in the course of 2 months I inadvertantly saw them twice (once for free at our "free college shindig" and once at a festival concert I didn't know they were playing), and was converted.

McGrath is so frickin' charasmatic on stage that I was just floored and got into the music I had previously dubbed "crap".

I still change the radio on him sometimes, but hey, not everytime now.
Old 10-31-04, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 755 Likes on 492 Posts
For me, that band would be Fugazi.

I saw them 7 or 8 years ago after having a really shitty day. I saw that they were playing and had always heard they were one of the best live acts around, really hard and intense in concert. I had never heard one of their songs before, and after the concert, I went and bought 3 of their CDs.
Old 11-01-04, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Bleeding Through
Old 11-01-04, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
happens all the time, but the two I thought of first were:

Alejandro Escovedo
The Waco Brothers
Old 11-01-04, 02:54 PM

The Polyphonic Spree about 5 months ago when I saw them open for David Bowie.

Before that, I simply thought of them as the novelty band from Tim Delaughter (of Tripping Daisy)

-Paul Jacobi-
Old 11-01-04, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For me, it was two bands.

Barenaked Ladies - got free tix from work to see them in the Summer of 1999 and they blew me away with their ad-libbing, and what-not.

STP - saw them in 1997 only because Cheap Trick opened up. Stuck around for them after CT, and I was amazed at how many songs I actually knew. I also dug the mini-acoustic set that they did halfway through the show.
Old 11-02-04, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The first one that springs to mind is when I went to see Pantera back at "The Edge" in Ft. Lauderdale (since renamed about a dozen times). They were touring for their album "Vulgar Display of Power". Their opening band? White Zombie. I don't think I'd ever heard of them before that...but enjoyed their performance, went and got their album (released about a month after "Vulgar" was) "La Sexorcisto - Devil Music Volume 1", and have loved pretty much anything Rob Zombie has been involved with since.

Thinking further back, I'd say that a concert a decade or so ago called "Clash of the Titans" (I think) had a few bands on it...and the very opening band was Alice in Chains. I can barely remember who else was on the bill now....I think Anthrax...Megadeth...Testament maybe?...anyways...I bought the AIC album "Facelift" about a day or two before the concert, and then got even further into them beyond the concert.

Having been to the same concert as you, I'd say the band I'll probably get into (as soon as I can find the burned CD I have of theirs) will be Chevelle. I've pretty much dug any singles I've heard of theirs, read a bit about 'em (didn't know all 3 were brothers), and I'm anxious to give them another listen. I'm hoping to see Chevelle again when they come back down (along with my favorite band to catch live Skindred) on the Korn tour (also with Breaking Benjamin and another band or two).

Here's to impending good times.

Oh yeah...I think I became a bigger Soundgarden fan seeing them at Lollapalooza here in 1992 about two days before Hurricane Andrew came through on tour.
Old 11-02-04, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Jimmy Eat World put on a great show the other night here in Vegas.

Borrowed their last two CDs from a friend, and I thought they were better live than in the studio. I ripped the CDs into iTunes (just for sake) and gave them back to a friend. Haven't listened to them since.
Old 11-02-04, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Definitely.

Most recently, this has happened with The Blood Brothers. I had a passing interest in their previous album Burn, Piano Island, Burn, but it just wasn't a very solid album overall. But then I got the chance to see them a couple weeks ago at their CD release show for their most recent album, Crimes, which I'd bought earlier that day. I liked it after the first couple listens, but after seeing them live, it's become one of my favorites for the year.

But it seems like it's more common for me to already have a slight interest in the band before seeing them live and then come away from their show with a complete infatuation. At least, with the really good bands that's true. It's more of a temporarily heightened interest with bands that don't have that staying power (The Starting Line and Taking Back Sunday, for instance).
Old 11-02-04, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I had heard of Mason Jennings till he opened for Jack Johnson now he's my fav.

I also say The Beautiful Girls open for Mason & they are awesome too.
Old 11-02-04, 08:38 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
only one springs to mind:

Ozomatli - was one of the bands that played Van Warp tour a few years back, the set was fantastic, bought the cassette later that day.
Old 11-02-04, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Children of Bodham , Nevermore
Old 11-02-04, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,209 Likes on 4,236 Posts
Garbage. Saw them at KROQ's Christmas concert in '94. My wife (then girlfriend) and I loved them; we were totally blown away, but we didn't buy the album. Two years later, they were back at the same event and again blew us away. My wife turned to me and said "I don't know what else they can do to get you to buy their album". I did the next day.
Old 11-02-04, 10:00 AM

It certainly doesn't happen all the time but when it does happen it's great. Some of my better experiences were:

The Annivesary - saw them opening for the Get up Kids

Beulah - saw them opening for the Apples in Stereo

Rocket from the Crypt - Warped Tour one year

The Mooney Suzuki - opening for the Donnas

Mates of State - ironically opening for The Anniversary and Beulah in the span of a week.

The Fiery Furances - don't remember who they were opening for
Old 11-02-04, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
All the time, but most recently The Slip. I saw them at the Austin City Limits Festival. Immediately after their show was over, I went to the record store tent and picked up 3 of their albums.
Old 11-02-04, 11:30 AM

edit

Last edited by K Tm S; 05-10-10 at 11:50 AM.
Old 11-02-04, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Sublime.
Old 11-02-04, 03:43 PM

I work at a place that holds a lot of medium/bigger acts and they had the jazz muscian Jamie Cullum recently. While not really usually my kind of music, I enjoyed his performance quite a bit and went out and bought one of his cds and not regretted it.
Old 11-02-04, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yellowcard - saw them before they were even dreaming about being on MTV...saw the show for $1.50 and it was excellent. Saosin opened for them, who was also pretty good.

Matchbook Romance

Maxeen
Old 11-03-04, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
I went to see MTVs tour featuring PIL and BAD II. I was privilledged enough to see both Live and Blind Mellon before either got any airplay, and have been into both, especially BM, ever since.
Old 11-05-04, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Only opening acts it seems...

Duncan Sheik (opened for Barenaked Ladies)
8 1/2 Souveniers (opened for the Brian Setzer Orchestra)
Gretchen Peters (opened for Huey Lewis & The News)
Old 11-05-04, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yep, and that band was Uncle Tupelo. I saw them waaaaaaaay back in 1991 when they opened for the Replacements at Toad's Place in New Haven (only club show they Mats did on thier final tour).
Old 11-08-04, 10:17 AM
Retired

Yep, quite often. The most recent for me was Incubus.
Old 11-08-04, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,132 Posts
Now that I think about it I saw Motley Crue open for KISS back in '83 and I liked "The Crue" a lot. But that love affair ended somewhere in the early '90's.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.