Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Rick James for Dummies!

Old 08-07-04, 03:11 AM
Suspended

Rick James for Dummies!

So, after hearing about Rick James (, bitch!), I listened to Superfreak on the way home - and then it dawned on me. . . I cant think of another song he did.

So, what's the top 10 or so Rick James (, BITCH!) songs? What should I be on the look out for?
Old 08-07-04, 04:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Anything from his album Street Songs... I think his other great from that album is "Ghetto Life" which is almost as catcy as "Superfreak". Other than that, you've got me. I always thought of his stuff as more of a novelty.
Old 08-07-04, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My favorite Rick James song is "Give It To Me, Baby" (which I'm sure most people will recognize within the first 10 seconds).
Old 08-07-04, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"Standing On The Top" with The Temptations is one of my favorites - especially the long version.
Old 08-07-04, 02:13 PM
Cool New Member

The classic Mary Jane. What a great chiefing song.
Old 08-07-04, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

He helped Eddie Murphy's song Party All The Time become a big hit.
Old 08-07-04, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Does he have a Greatest Hits CD out? If not, it's sure to come out real soon....
Old 08-07-04, 03:41 PM

Most top 40/pop listeners will only be familiar with Super Freak and maybe Give It To Me Baby (which Michael Jackson ripped off for Thriller BTW; just compare the rhythm tracks), but he did have several other hits on the R&B charts back in the day. He also wrote, produced and played most of the instruments on the Mary Jane Girls' In My House. The Ultimate Collection on Motown is probably the best hits collection unless you want one of the double CD anthologies.
Old 08-07-04, 04:45 PM

Old 08-07-04, 04:56 PM

Don't know if these were top ten, but these are my favorite songs:

Ebony Eyes (with Smokey Robinson), Fire and Desire (with Teena Marie), Teardrops, Give It To Me Baby, Cold Blooded, Super Freak & Mary Jane

Go to: www.rickjames.com

Scroll down towards the end of the page. The site lists a 24 HR Rick James radio station. You have to download the Live 365 player (there's nothing to sign up for) and you can listen to Rick's music. I just stumbled upon this 5 mins ago. Also, disable your pop-up blocker if you are using one.

I just missed Ebony Eyes, and since my Rick James cds have disappeared, I guess I will listen to the radio station.

Last edited by Anjanettea; 08-08-04 at 06:25 PM.