Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Green Day - American Idiot - 9/21

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Green Day - American Idiot - 9/21

Old 09-23-04, 04:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Picked up the CD yesterday... have to say I am VERY impressed.

It's one of the better CDs I've bought lately!
Old 09-23-04, 08:58 PM

Originally posted by JP5683
The 13th track says it's 6:44. It fades out around 4 min, and then around 5, a loud buzz comes on until the end.

Maybe this is to tell you the CD is over, start again?

JP
The 13th track is supposed to be 4:14. It sounds like your CD player is playing the data track (which sounds like a really loud buzz) as part of the last track. Either your copy is mispressed, or your CD player doesn't know how to deal with mixed audio/data CDs.

I picked this CD up on Tuesday, and I have to agree with everybody so far. Green Day really out-did themselves on this one.
Old 09-24-04, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, it showed as 6:44 in my PC, 4:14 in my portable.

What is the data track?

All I can get out of the 'enhanced' part of the disc is a page to enter my email, and a page to buy ringtones.

JP
Old 09-24-04, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I am loving this album... it is a masterpiece as others have said... and tonight I get to see GREEN DAY play it in it's entirety!!!!!! I am super psyched for the show tonight and hopefully will be getting the band to autograph my copy of IDIOT this afternoon... A very Green Day indeed. Glad to hear others are enjoying the album as much as I am. I'll update with info about the show tomorrow!

MATT
Old 09-24-04, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by KV12482
If you're actually from Minnesota, my guess is you bought tickets to the Target Center show. And even if you have great seats at the Target Center, you still cant understand a word the band says. I wish they would have played at the Xcel.
I agree 100%, but what can you do?
Old 09-24-04, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I picked it up at Target today. $9.99 minus 10 percent with our Target Visa. Hope it's worth the cash!
Old 09-25-04, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Toronto show on the American Idiot tour was insane. Probably one of the best shows I've ever seen... EVER. They kicked the roof of the joint, rocking through all 13 Idiot tracks, then coming back and playing Longview, Brain Stew/Jaded, Minority and ended the night with a fantastic cover of Queen's WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS, with Billy Joe wearing a fake Freddie Mercury moustache.... a brilliant show....also of note, they were RECORDING the show... I think they might be making some of these IDIOT shows available as part of a LIVE disc... AWESOME.

MATT
Old 09-25-04, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i really think they should do the American Idiot track list live and in order for more than just the 4 shows.

screw all their hit singles, this sounded really cool.

i guess i'll pick up the dvd when it comes out, which you know it will.

BTW - the import single has 2 versions (like normal)

CD1
1. American Idiot
2. Too Much Too Soon (b-side)

CD2
1. American Idiot
2. Shoplifter (b-side; enhanced track on album)
3. Governator

I wonder what the "Governator" b-side could be about?

Last edited by Frank TJ Mackey; 09-25-04 at 07:54 PM.
Old 09-26-04, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I think this album is only so-so. I wanted to give it plenty of listens before judging it, but I just don't see me playing this album very often.
Old 09-26-04, 03:37 PM

Green Day has a reputation for being an amazing live band. I've seen them twice and they blew everyone away. Especially when they played with blink 182. Blink came on second, and a ton of people left the stadium during their set.

Governator is sung by Mike Dirnt so it's a little bit different. It's an ok song, but I reccomend Too Much Too Soon more. Shoplifter is an ok song but it's not the best. I've only listened to it a few times and I was disappointed to see that was the one Best Buy has because I had already gotten Shoplifter weeks before AI was released.

Last edited by fashionvictim86; 09-26-04 at 03:39 PM.
Old 09-27-04, 03:14 PM

someone brought this into work the other day and played it while we were closing up. it surprised me, i actually enjoyed it quite a bit (though i'm not a big fan of the title song). Not their best, but a big improvement over Warning, so i'll definitely pick this up.
Old 09-29-04, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Picked it up today. I'm really digging the song "Holiday."
Old 01-15-05, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
How long is "Are We The Waiting"?
Old 01-15-05, 10:25 PM
Retired

2:42
Old 01-16-05, 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by BJacks
Picked it up today. I'm really digging the song "Holiday."
Same here. I swear I listened to it 20 times in one day last week. Don't bother to comment on how sad that is, I already know

Originally Posted by Patman
How long is "Are We The Waiting"?
Are you wondering because it just suddenly cuts off and goes straight into St. Jimmy? That was what confused me about that when I first heard it

This is hands down my second best album of the year (beind Matt Good's 'White Light Rock & Roll Review'). I can honestly say I love every track on it and it's highly replayable.
Old 01-16-05, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Yeah, the sudden cut off had me wondering. Thanks for confirming it wasn't just me or my player.

Believe it or not, but I tried out this album based on Stephen King's suggestion in one of his EW columns (best of 2004 type of diatribe). It's loud and infectious. I was surprised at how much of this album I had heard felt familiar to me.
Old 01-20-05, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 203 Likes on 117 Posts
This is the best album of 2004. I REALLY hope it wins the grammy.
Old 01-20-05, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I agree with you Chrisedge, but we all know Usher will win somehow.
Old 01-20-05, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
I just got this CD a couple days ago and I cannot stop listening to it. Another vote here for the best CD of the year.
Old 01-20-05, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Patman
I was surprised at how much of this album I had heard felt familiar to me.
Well it IS pretty derivative (though a great, great album). Note for note ripoffs of Cheap Trick, Iggy Pop, Johnny Cash, & more....
Old 01-22-05, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
Well it IS pretty derivative (though a great, great album). Note for note ripoffs of Cheap Trick, Iggy Pop, Johnny Cash, & more....
not to mention Grease, Tommy, The Wall, and Monty Python. there is a definate difference between a "ripoff" and a "tribute" or "homage." i think the cd has nothing but the second two.

Last edited by WestEndRiot; 01-22-05 at 11:44 PM.
Old 01-25-05, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Could someone help me out. I haven't heard the Monty Python reference. WHere is it?
Old 01-25-05, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by WestEndRiot
not to mention Grease, Tommy, The Wall, and Monty Python. there is a definate difference between a "ripoff" and a "tribute" or "homage." i think the cd has nothing but the second two.
Maybe the difference is whether they knew they were doing those riffs (Cheap Trick "She's Tight", Iggy Pop "The Passenger", Cash "Ring Of Fire", etc...) note for note. If it was conscious, then it was a tribute. If not, then it was a ripoff.
Old 02-08-05, 03:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I know im late but i finally got this CD and i cant stop listening to it! Im not one of those people who get a new CD and download the whole thing to thier iPod, Dell DJ, etc., i always only pick the ones i like, but with this album it was different. Almost every single song is perfect and the ones that arent are still f#cking awesome! Its one of the few albums i put entirely onto my Dell DJ. Im loving this CD, it better win AOTY at the grammy's (screw Usher!)
Old 02-08-05, 06:49 AM

I was not a fan of Green Day when they first started to generate some attention. I wrote off Dookie as, well... dookie. But I picked up their greatest hits collection a while ago and got last year's brilliant American Idiot, and the more I listen, the more I am convinced that Green Day is the latter-day Clash. Green Day matters, in a day and age when very few artists do. And they know their history... Much like the Clash, they're not afraid to trot out their album collection and put their influences out there. I think American Idiot one of the best albums (I love using that word) of the past 10 (20?) years! And the record's quality is flawless - the performance and production are state of the art, like a U2 album. Grammy! (Like that means anything any more... but still.)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.