Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Green Day - American Idiot - 9/21

Old 02-11-05, 01:34 AM
Banned

The album's good but comparing them to the Clash?? The best album of the past 20 years? Come on, now.
Old 02-11-05, 07:40 AM

You're reading too much into my post, I think...
The Clash comparison was on two points -- the acknowledgement of their influences in their music (similar to the sprawling, genre-bending London Calling), and their punk social commentary (give The Clash (UK version) a spin focus on "I'm so Bored with the U.S.A.", "White Riot", "Hate & War", Career Opportunities", etc.). I don't think American Idiot is the best album of the past 20 years (I would bestow that honor to something like Sign 'O' the Times -- another sprawling, genre-bending opus, or London Calling). I think it's one of the best albums of the last 10 years, perhaps 20.

Regardless, this is all opinion, so no offense meant or taken.
Old 02-11-05, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't see the comparison (probably because I'm not really a fan of the Clash or the Jam), but Green Day has been compared to the Clash (and the Jam) for 16 years now.
Old 02-11-05, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
Maybe the difference is whether they knew they were doing those riffs (Cheap Trick "She's Tight", Iggy Pop "The Passenger", Cash "Ring Of Fire", etc...) note for note.
I'm trying to figure out which song has the "She's Tight" riff?

BTW: I haven't liked every single track on an album in a long, long time until this one. It's excellent.
Old 02-11-05, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by parker63
I'm trying to figure out which song has the "She's Tight" riff?
Can't remember ("Jesus Of Suburbia"?), but it's not the main riff of "She's Tight" that's being used. It's the bridge. Oh... the part that goes (in the Cheap Trick song) right before "she says I'm home all alone... home all alone... then I get off the phone".

I know I messed up the lyrics to that one, but it's the part of "She's Tight" that's right before it.
Old 02-12-05, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Great album. Love the coherence.
Old 02-12-05, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Are there any GD sites that have a full explanation of the St Jimmy story?
Old 07-10-05, 01:46 PM
Banned

here you go

American Idiot (1. "American Idiot") describes media coverage of the War in Iraq and the hold media has on our perception of government and world events.

The album tells the story of Jesus of Suburbia, who lives with his negligent divorcee mother in a suburb called "Jingletown, USA". His younger years were spent on a "steady diet of soda pop and Ritalin", watching television, experimenting with drugs (2-I. "Jesus of Suburbia"), and loitering in front of convenience stores. He doesn't seem to like his parents very much and apparently, they drink, smoke, do drugs, etc.

Disillusioned with life in Jingletown (2-II. City of the Damned) and its effect on his psyche (2-IV. Dearly Beloved), Jesus decides to leave Jingletown for "The City" (2-V. "Tales of Another Broken Home").

At first his vacation seems exciting and he is happy to go out on his own (3. "Holiday"), but Jesus later finds himself alone in spite of The City's crowd (4. "Boulevard of Broken Dreams"), so he eventually decides to radically change his personality (5. "Are We the Waiting"). In doing so, he adopts a new moniker, "St. Jimmy", and lifestyle, that of an unpredictable, tough, and rebellious criminal (6. "St. Jimmy"). During this transformation, he begins doing drugs. (7. "Give Me Novacaine").

Jesus meets Whatsername, a girl who fascinates him - she is a real rebel, not someone pretending to be one like he is (8. "She's a Rebel"), and they begin dating. As he slowly metamorphosizes into St. Jimmy, he falls thoroughly in love with her, but he is unable to give her what she deserves due to his personal insecurities (9. "Extraordinary Girl"). In a letter to Jesus/Jimmy, Whatsername expresses her frustration towards him, and tells him she's leaving both him and The City (10. "Letterbomb").

Track 11, "Wake Me Up When September Ends", is about Billie Joe Armstrong's father, who died when he was 10-years-old. On the VH1 show Storytellers, Billie Joe mentions that this song is the only song that veers from the overall plot of the album. Seeing as it has a date in the liner notes along with the other songs, and has lines such as let's ring the bells again, like we did when spring began which was a happier time in the story, the track probably has dual meanings, in that he is now alone again.

Eventually Jesus decides to abandon his St. Jimmy identity, which he had been using as a crutch. In order to abandon his title, Jesus feigns suicide as St. Jimmy (12-I. "The Death of St. Jimmy").

Following his supposed suicide, Jesus gets arrested on East 12th St. (12-II. "East 12th St.") (Note: East 12th Street is the real location of the police station in East Bay, California where Green Day frontman Billie Joe Armstrong had to fill out paperwork for his DUI in 2002) much like his personal life (12-III. "Nobody Likes You"). He decides to return to Jingletown to escape this trap (12-V. "We're Coming Home Again") and is left with his memories of what could have been had he stayed with Whatsername (13. "Whatsername").

The singles "Shoplifter", "Too Much Too Soon", and "Governator" are billed as "non-album tracks", but both are significant to the story. Where they fit in is of question. The song "Favorite Son" was orignally meant to appear on American Idiot. However, the band decided to release it on volume two of the Rock Against Bush compilation.

more here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Idiot
Old 07-10-05, 01:47 PM
Banned

and even more

The storyline follows the life of Jesus of Suburbia who lives in a small suburb. He spent his earlier years "on a steady diet of soda pop and ritalin", trying out different drugs and spending the rest of his time around a local 7-11. (Track 2-1 - Jesus of Suburbia & Track 2-2 - City of the Damned)

Tired of his life in the small town Jesus of Suburbia starts to break down (Track 2-4 - Dearly Beloved) and leaves to start a new life in "The City" (Track 2-5 - Tales of Another Broken Home)

He is very excited to be able to start a new life in "The City" and starts to have fun causing all sorts of mischief (Track 3 - Holiday). But eventually he wakes up to reality and notices that he is all alone with no one else (Track 4 - Boulevard of Broken Dreams) He then spends some time to reflect on his situation and decides he must change to adapt (Track 5 - Are We the Waiting) He then becomes a rebel, spending his time with other criminals in an alley doing drugs and other things (Track 6 - St. Jimmy). We then see a struggle between Jesus Of Suburbia and his alter ego, St. Jimmy. He is sitting there with some drugs and is unsure what to do. Jimmy is telling him that he “won’t feel a thing”. This is where he really breaks free and starts to integrate into Jimmy(Track 7 - Give me Novocaine).

Soon after, Jesus/Jimmy meets Whatsername, a true rebel, unlike himself, who had been acting like one. He then becomes obsessed with her and the two start dating (Track 8 - She's a Rebel). During their time together Jesus begins to become even more into what he wanted to be, a true rebel, but now he has compromised his ability to provide for Whatsername and starts to have thoughts that he should let her go (Track 9 - Extraordinary Girl). Whatsername then tells Jimmy through a letter that she can't keep up this life and is going to leave both him and "The City" (Track 10 - Letterbomb). Here Jimmy is once again left alone with no one but himself.

With the next track on the album (Track 11 - Wake Me Up When Semptember Ends) the story is somewhat sidetracked and Billie Joe begins to sing about his personal life, although there are certain parts in the song that could refer to the story and there could be some double entendre. Jesus of Suburbia/Jimmy’s father could have been the one who had died. The song also reflects to better times during his childhood.

Realizing he is alone again, Jesus sheds Jimmy, his alterego of sorts. No longer can Jesus continue to hide behind Jimmy, and thus in his mind, as he sheds him, Jimmy in a way commits suicide. Jesus is now alone to figure out who he truly is(Track 12-1 - The Death of St. Jimmy). He then gets a successful desk job (Track 12-2 - East 12th St.) filling out paperwork, which he finds very boring, compared to his previous life of walking the streets and causing trouble. He then decides to return home to start anew (Track 12-5 - Homecoming).

After coming back home, he spends his spare time imagining what his life could have been like had he been able to stay together with Whatsername (Track 13 - Whatsername). Here it is also mentioned that there was a “Whats'hisface” and asking if Whatsername married him.
[edit]

Song Summary

1. American Idiot
* Although you may think this song doesn't fit in it does. It tells of the state that Jesus of Suburbia grew up in due to the American economy and everything going on. We also see in songs like 'Holiday' that he truly loathes the U.S. government and the President.
2. Jesus of Suburbia
1. Jesus of Suburbia
* We learn of Jesus of Suburbia's life. He has a steady diet of soda pop and ritalin and feels that no one in the town believes in him.
2. City of the Damned
* Jesus of Suburbia we learn likes to spend time at the local 7-11 where he is taught how to do drugs and that it's like no one cares about where he is growing up and that the town has been isolated.
3. I Don't Care
* Quite simply, he doesn't care anymore and has given up faith in the town because no one else seems to.
4. Dearly Beloved
* Here Jesus of Suburbia starts to break down and almost becomes insane. He joins therapy and tries to fill a "void".
5. Tales of Another Broken Home
* Here the Jesus of Suburbia makes up his mind that he is going to leave the suburbs and go to the big city.
3. Holiday
* As the title suggests, Jesus of Suburbia is out on a holiday in the city and is having lots of fun and causing lots of trouble. We also get a clear indication of how 'American Idiot' fits into the concept as he represents himself as "The representative from California" (meaning Ah-nuld the Governor)
4. Boulevard of Broken Dreams
* After a night of fun and mischief everything slows down for Jesus of Suburbia and he realizes he is alone without anyone but his shadow beside him.
5. Are we the Waiting
* This song delivers almost the same message as 'Boulevard of Broken Dreams' only there seems to be many more people who are also in Jesus of Suburbia's position. "Are we the waiting?" suggests that its not only JOS that feels alone and misunderstood, but much of his generation.
6. St. Jimmy
* Jesus of Suburbia realizes that he needs to become something he's not and creates an alter-ego called St. Jimmy.St. Jimmy is a rebel and a criminal who makes friends with other rebels where they spend their time in an alley. Jimmy also allows JOS to escape from himself; he is now free to be someone else, someone who he thinks he wants and needs to be.
7. Give Me Novacaine
* Here we see a struggle between the Jesus of Suburbia and Jimmy. He is there with some drugs and "Jimmy" is pressuring him to take them. Eventually Jimmy prevails and then the character begins to assimilate into Jimmy.
8. She's a Rebel
* Here Jimmy meets Whatsername. A real rebel unlike himself in whom he soon becomes obsessed and with her help he starts to really become a true rebel.
9. Extraordinary Girl
* Although he is now a rebel Jimmy compromises Whatsername somewhat and can barely support her. He realises how great she is and begins to have thoughts of ending the relationship.
10. Letterbomb
* Here Whatsername sends Jimmy a letter telling him that they were breaking up and that she was leaving him and The City because she couldn't take it anymore.
11. Wake Me Up When September Ends
* Although the story seems to be pushed aside it could actually relate to the song even though it is about Billie Joe's personal life. Jesus's father could be considered dead as numerous other songs on the album make reference to a stepdad in Jesus' life named Brad. If this is the intent, the song could be about Jesus coming to terms with the insecurities and issues that lead him on his way to the City.
12. Homecoming
1. The Death of St. Jimmy
* In this song, the suicide of St. Jimmy may represent Jesus of Surburbia's shedding of this alterego. (though, with some regret, considering the lines "You taught me how to live.") He leaves "St. Jimmy" behind, and in his mind, this mirrors a suicide on St. Jimmy's part. Now, JOS is left to find himself once again, no longer can he hide behind this mask of St. Jimmy.
2. East 12th St.
* Jesus of Suburbia now gets a desk job filling out paperwork. He soon gets tired and quits. He then starts to have a small break down again.
3. Nobody Likes You
* Again, Jesus of Suburbia has to come to grips with the fact that he has no one, and feels unwanted.
4. Rock and Roll Girlfriend
* This song is one of Jesus's friends, or possibly a rival, named Tunny writing a mocking letter to him about how he's come to success as a rock star while Jesus has become another one of society's drones. It's Jesus' regrets about what could have been. (note that this song is Written and Sung by Tré Cool. This song seems to be an autobiography of Tré: I play the shit out the drums/and I can play the guitar)
5. We're Coming Home Again
* Jesus of Suburbia then decides that it's time to cut his losses and come back home.
13. Whatsername
* Now back home, Jesus of Suburbia thinks back and wonders what his life could have been like had he and Whatsername stayed together, and what Whatsername is doing now.
Old 10-21-05, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I know this album has been out for a while but I just heard Jesus of Suburbia and was immediately caught by surprise.

One part of the song is a direct ripoff on Motley Crue 'On With The Show'
Another was a direct rip on the Alarm '68 Guns' and another on the Beatles.

Not sure this has been covered but what about the early parts of this song and has anyone brought this up before?
Old 10-21-05, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You know, without a doubt I think this is Green Day's best album, and was also one of last years very best, too.

But that was last year. Now, it's become so damn over played on radio, that I don't care if I ever hear another song off of it for a good l-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-ng time.

Don't you hate how they do that?
Old 10-21-05, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

There is a simple solution to that: Don't listen to the radio! Radio sucks these days. It's not worth listening to.

I never get sick of my albums. If I sense that I am starting to get sick of a CD, I retire it for a little while. No song is overplayed in my world.
Old 10-21-05, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

There ya go sherm or should I say Mr. 42.

I'll give that comment a strong agreement.
Old 10-22-05, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by sherm42
There is a simple solution to that: Don't listen to the radio! Radio sucks these days. It's not worth listening to.

I never get sick of my albums. If I sense that I am starting to get sick of a CD, I retire it for a little while. No song is overplayed in my world.
Ha ha. Exactly. If an album/song gets overplayed, it's my own fault.
Old 10-22-05, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

You are charge of your destiny. Or something like that.
Old 10-22-05, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Flashback
I know this album has been out for a while but I just heard Jesus of Suburbia and was immediately caught by surprise.

One part of the song is a direct ripoff on Motley Crue 'On With The Show'
Another was a direct rip on the Alarm '68 Guns' and another on the Beatles.

Not sure this has been covered but what about the early parts of this song and has anyone brought this up before?
the first time i heard the song, i noticed a section that, to me, sounded like Bryan Adams' 'Summer Of 69'..

this section:

City of the dead,
At the end of another lost highway,
Signs misleading to nowhere,
City of the damned,
Lost children with dirty faces today,
No one really seems to care

sounds like this:

Standin on a mama's porch
You told me that you'd wait forever
Oh and when you held my hand
I knew that it was no or never
Those were the best days of my life

(the music, not the lyrics, obviously)
Old 10-22-05, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mkdevo
the first time i heard the song, i noticed a section that, to me, sounded like Bryan Adams' 'Summer Of 69'..
I missed that part but someone at the bar claimed the Adams part after I brought up that Motley Crue was being covered in one break of the song (notes/tempo etc.) , then I heard the Alarm version at another part. Now I am sure they did this on purpose but I could not find anyone/thing to back it up. And I could of sworn the Beatles were covered at the end - but that was after I was trying to think what next so I could be wrong . But I defintiely know that the Crue/Alarm was covered.
Old 10-22-05, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by sherm42

Usually I don't listen to radio anymore - but it seems like whenever I do, can't go 5 minutes without hearing something off of American Idiot. Maybe it's just the over play/over hype of it that's left a bad taste in my mouth about it. In another 6 month to a year, I think even Green Day is going to be sick of this album, if they aren't already.

Anyway - I usually don't get sick of my CD's either - as I've got somewhere in the neighborhood of 5,000 to choose from. And like you sadi, there are some things that you never get tired of. Just wish that wasn't the case this time.
Old 10-24-05, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well I found one review that caught part of what I heard...

The second track, “Jesus of Suburbia,” sprawls into five parts and twice as many minutes. Musically, the separate sections flow without notice. Green Day play the cards they have been dealt (short punk rock songs) and cleverly intertwine them into a larger piece for the first time.

The only criticism I have with it concerns “City of the Damned.” Motley Crue’s “On With the Show” has the same chord structure, chorus, and refrain. It’s a shame that Green Day had to plagiarize a B-side from one of the pioneers of heavy metal, thinking no one would notice, and it ruins the originality of the entire work.
Old 10-25-05, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Flashback
Well I found one review that caught part of what I heard...

The second track, “Jesus of Suburbia,” sprawls into five parts and twice as many minutes. Musically, the separate sections flow without notice. Green Day play the cards they have been dealt (short punk rock songs) and cleverly intertwine them into a larger piece for the first time.

The only criticism I have with it concerns “City of the Damned.” Motley Crue’s “On With the Show” has the same chord structure, chorus, and refrain. It’s a shame that Green Day had to plagiarize a B-side from one of the pioneers of heavy metal, thinking no one would notice, and it ruins the originality of the entire work.
There are so many influences on that album, particularly the longer songs that you could write a dissertation on it. Here's a post from another forum that I thought was pretty good and it doesn't even come close to touching on them all. Just because they wear their influences on their sleeves doesn't mean it's plagiarism just as to think that Green Day's work wasn't going to be derivitive and the sum of their influences would be wrong.

Originally Posted by From another forum
i mentioned in some thread that jesus of suburbia rips off a bunch of songs. some are extremely blatant. someone asked me to make a list. so i downloaded the mp3 and went through it and tried to remember what the songs were that i was reminded of.... some of em are pretty damn obvious, while others might be open for debate... the numbers are the time in the jesus song where the ripoffs occur. so fire up your mp3's and follow along...

0:00 - Don Henley "The Boys Of Summer"

ok, this is a small stretch, but the chord progression and melody definitely hint at this, especially if you compare it to the punk rock Ataris version of Boys Of Summer... this part of the song reminds me of something else too, but i can't put my finger on it. when i remember or figure out what it is, i'll add it.

0:26 - Green Day "Basket Case"

i'm not sure if it counts if you're just ripping yourself off but you can sing along "am i paranoid or am i just stoned" with this portion of the jesus song and then it breaks and goes into the same chord progression just like basket case.

1:52 - Motley Crue "On With The Show"

this is pretty much exact and pretty blatant, chord progression and melody are extremely similar, and i'd be willing to bet that the green day dudes were motley crue fans at some point before they discovered operation ivy.

2:24 - Bryan Adams "Summer Of 69"

this one's pretty blatant too. i don't know how anyone could miss this. in fact, at the point of coming up with the song when realizing they were ripping off Bryan Adams, that's when it might be wise to go ahead and come up with a new part instead.

3:42 - Leonard Bernstein "America"

not exact, but very close in feel.

4:23 - Black Sabbath "Children Of The Grave"

chord progression is exact. melody is not, although it seems like more than coincidence that the lyrics at this point of the song include "we are the kids of war and peace" over the main chord progression from children of the grave.

5:26 - ??
6:33 - ??

these last two parts which make up the main themes of the second half of the song are really driving me nuts. they are reminding me very strongly of something, but i can't figure out what. it will probably come to me in a dream or something, at which point i will update the post.
Old 10-26-05, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The last 2 parts ... I thought was The Beatles (just heard this song 3x's mind you and started listening for the rips) and for sure (I think ) The Alarm's 68 Guns. I have to get a copy of this song since I always miss half of it and just perk up when I here On With The Show note for note and tempo.

Did not hear Sabbaath at all but will give it a shot next time.

Thanks for the reply for some reason my search skills blow and I could only find a few blurbs on this.
Old 02-10-06, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well I think I'm a little late to the discussion but just got this and it is AWESOME. I had heard American Idiot before (the song itself) and liked it. I also like the first part of Jesus of Suburbia and Holiday. Haven't really spent a lot of time with the songs. Great, great album.
Old 02-10-06, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
Well I think I'm a little late to the discussion but just got this and it is AWESOME. I had heard American Idiot before (the song itself) and liked it. I also like the first part of Jesus of Suburbia and Holiday. Haven't really spent a lot of time with the songs. Great, great album.
My favorite song on the album is actually the other 9 minute epic Homecoming. Favorite part would have to be when the drummer gets his moment to shine and sing (about 4:30 in)