Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live
View Poll Results: Is Rock and Roll Dead?
Yes
14.55%
No
41.82%
Changes with the times and will never die
41.82%
Now Tiffany and Debbie Gibson were Rock N Roll
1.82%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Rock N Roll dead?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-04, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rock N Roll dead?

Last night I was at the Velvet Revolver show, which was really good but I'll save that for another topic, and they kept talking about how they are a rock and roll band and how the critics keep saying rock and roll is dead. They kept saying they are here to bring rock and roll back. How can anyone say rock and roll is dead? How can a band claim to bring rock and roll back? I personally don't feel rock and roll is dead, I think it just evolves over time. I think what was called rock and roll 20 years ago is very different from what it was called 40 years ago. In fact, I hear stuff from 20 years ago and go that is Rock and Roll? Doesn't sound like it to me. I turn on stations and I hear bands like Nickelback, Matchbox Twenty, Linkin Park, pearl Jam that are doing very well. To me, these are rock and roll bands of today. Of course they don't sound like bands of the 80's because rock and roll has to grow and change to keep up with the times and not become stale. To me, rock and roll will never die, it will just grow over time.
Old 06-10-04, 12:49 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Rock N Roll dead?

Originally posted by Cyberock
They kept saying they are here to bring rock and roll back. How can anyone say rock and roll is dead? How can a band claim to bring rock and roll back?

Hmmmm.....let me go out on a limb here and suggest that maybe the guys in Velver Revolver who said that, or anyone in that band, were drunk or not thinking correctly. Can't possibly imagine why, besides the fact that they're burnouts.

Of course rock n' roll will never die. People have been claiming it dead for 50 years but we all know these people are idiots so who cares?
Old 06-10-04, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I saw Chuck Berry perform barely two years ago. Rock and Roll is most certainly still alive.

das
Old 06-10-04, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Rock and Roll is changing with the times, too bad people like me are living in the past since we don't like its direction or how rock has changed in these recent times.
Old 06-10-04, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by das Monkey
I saw Chuck Berry perform barely two years ago. Rock and Roll is most certainly still alive.

das
And peeing in the butts of groupies. I think Chuck Berry may be where that whole thing started.

Rock and Roll isn't dead. The guitar solo seems to be, but there are plenty of groups like all the "The" bands (Jets, White Stripes, Hives, Vines, Strokes, etc) They seem to be doing alright. Hell, even Keith Richards still has a pulse.

Last edited by Roto; 06-10-04 at 03:23 PM.
Old 06-10-04, 03:23 PM
Suspended

It aint dead, but it certainly aint doing all that well imo.
Old 06-10-04, 03:35 PM
Retired

Not dead. I just don't like the direction it's taken in recent years.

The only "new" bands I've really liked the past couple years are Audioslave and Velvet Revolver and they are comprised of members of bands I liked previously.

I just can't get into the stuff on the radio and music videos anymore with a few exceptions.
Old 06-10-04, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Re: Rock N Roll dead?

Originally posted by Cyberock
I think it just evolves over time. I think what was called rock and roll 20 years ago is very different from what it was called 40 years ago. In fact, I hear stuff from 20 years ago and go that is Rock and Roll?
It does evolve, but right now I think as a popular medium, it is dead. You don't even have to go back as far as you are talking. Just go back 10 years, you had Pearl Jam, Nirvana, STP, Alice in Chains, Metallica, & Soundgarden. Today you have Nickleback, Creed, Linkin Park, Godsmack and and two dozen other bands that try to sound just like one of the bands in the first list.

Even the one hit wonders of 10 years ago are better than the shit that is out right now. At least it was fun. i.e. Weezer, Blind Melon, Cake, Sublime, the list goes on.

20 years from now you will still hear Pearl Jam, Metallica & Nirvana. The Creeds and Nicklebacks will be long forgotten. Zero originality = Zero rememberability.
Old 06-10-04, 04:06 PM
Retired

Re: Re: Rock N Roll dead?

Originally posted by Michael Corvin

20 years from now you will still hear Pearl Jam, Metallica & Nirvana. The Creeds and Nicklebacks will be long forgotten. Zero originality = Zero rememberability.
Totally. I mean you still hear Alive, Evenflow and Jeremy on the radio and even videos occasionally (if you get Fuse) and those came out almost 13 years ago.

Yet, I can't recall the last time I heard Creed's first big hit on the radio or saw the video.
Old 06-10-04, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by MJKTool
It aint dead, but it certainly aint doing all that well imo.

True. You just have to know where to find it. Or stop looking (I did, I just enjoy music from the established artists that I already enjoy.)
Old 06-10-04, 05:50 PM
Banned

Re: Re: Rock N Roll dead?

Originally posted by Michael Corvin
At least it was fun. i.e. Weezer,

Weezer is not a "one-hit wonder".

There is some great rock out there. Like Ergyu says you just have to go find it, and know where. That means TURNING OFF THE RADIO.
Old 06-10-04, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Rock is not dead. Radio is to blame for not supporting artists not on their conglomerate's playlists. Case in point, I think the Donnas are a fantastic rock band but my local rock station does not play them! When Izzy Stradlin released his first solo album, it was played for a while but I've not heard it since.
Old 06-10-04, 06:23 PM

Re: Re: Re: Rock N Roll dead?

Originally posted by Rivero
There is some great rock out there. Like Ergyu says you just have to go find it, and know where. That means TURNING OFF THE RADIO.
I agree, there's some great rock music being made, you're just not going to find it on the radio or on the charts (obviously there are a few exceptions). Rock might not be dead, but it doesn't sell as well as rap, r&b, and pop.
Old 06-10-04, 06:44 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Yes, now that Creed has broken up.
Old 06-10-04, 07:10 PM

Originally posted by Suprmallet
Yes, now that Creed has broken up.
actually I like to think that might be the rebirth of rock n roll
Old 06-10-04, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 129 Posts
I don't know about this one. To me, bands like The Vines, The Strokes, & the White Stripes (are they no more?) are the new term for Rock & Roll. I do love The Vines but I'm not a huge Strokes or White stripes fan.

My time was back in the early 90's (when we were ALL still buying every Led Zepplin CD ever made). I really got into Pearl Jam and I'm still a huge fan to this day.
Old 06-11-04, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

RnR has never died and never will. Sometimes you just have to work harder to find it.

I thought it was in a rut until I discovered the Wildhearts, the Hellacopters, Gluecifer, Turbonegro, etc...

TONS of bands out there. You just have to work and look for it.
Old 06-11-04, 12:38 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Rival11
I do love The Vines but I'm not a huge Strokes or White stripes fan.
sorry but the Stripes puts those other two to f***** shame
Old 06-11-04, 01:15 PM
Retired

Originally posted by nodeerforamonth
You just have to work and look for it.
That's my problem, I just don't have the time or interest to search for new, obscure bands anymore. Thus I just mainly stick with established artists I've loved for years and occasionally hear something new on the radio or a video on Fuse that interests me enough to check the band out.
Old 06-11-04, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Rock N Roll dead?

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle

Yet, I can't recall the last time I heard Creed's first big hit on the radio or saw the video.
if you get 98rock down in laurl md, then you have def heard it recently since they play it all the time
Old 06-11-04, 01:41 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by Ergyu
Or stop looking (I did, I just enjoy music from the established artists that I already enjoy.)
Thats exactly what I do. I have a core of groups that I love and thats enough for me. I just dont have the time to explore anymore, so I'm content. Plus every year that goes by my interest in music subsides....I'm getting old
Old 06-11-04, 01:46 PM
Retired

Re: Re: Re: Re: Rock N Roll dead?

Originally posted by Rypro 525
if you get 98rock down in laurl md, then you have def heard it recently since they play it all the time
If we get it I don't listen to it. I haven't heard My Own Prison on any of the stations I occasionally listen to (WHSF 99.1 and DC 101.1). But admittadly, I have a CD player in my car and only turn on the radio if I forgot to grab a cd or don't feel like listening to any I have with me.
Old 06-11-04, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
That's my problem, I just don't have the time or interest to search for new, obscure bands anymore. Thus I just mainly stick with established artists I've loved for years and occasionally hear something new on the radio or a video on Fuse that interests me enough to check the band out.
Same here.

The only time I listen I listen to radio is if I don't have a cd in the car, or it's morning and I'll have Howard Stern on. Besides buying the new records of artists I'm already into, the only new bands I've gotten stuff from is The Jets & The Vines. The Jets record is near perfect. Not one bad song on the whole album. The Vines latest wasn't near as good as their last, but still good none-the-less.

Most of the newer bands I hear on the radio or see in the vidoes that are considered rock I think suck. I dunno, maybe I'm getting too old.
Old 06-11-04, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally posted by Rivero
sorry but the Stripes puts those other two to f***** shame
To each his own, IMO the white stripes are nothing special.
Old 06-11-04, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
Rock&Roll is just taking a nap, and it'll wake up pretty soon.... I hope.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.