Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live
View Poll Results: What Do You Think of The Vanhalen Reunion With Sammy.
Sammys The Best I'm In
23.73%
Sammy's cool but I'd rather see Dave
13.56%
Dave is The only Singer for Van Halen
22.03%
I'll Take any version of Van Halen
1.69%
Anybody but Gary Sherone
11.86%
They need to call it quits
27.12%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Thoughts on Van Halen Reunion Lineup

Old 05-30-04, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thoughts on Van Halen Reunion Lineup

What do you think of Sammy being back?
Old 05-30-04, 01:15 PM
Mod Emeritus

I've now closed the similar thread on this topic: Van Halen - Summer Tour !?!?.

I doubt I'd go and see either line-up but then I'm not a regular concert-goer these days.

I liked Hagar's post VH "Marching to Mars" album and some of pre-VH solo stuff: I've been told that Montrose rocked when he was with them and also that the "supergroup" HSAS he was in some time ago [not the more recent one that scarcely progressed beyond the press releases] was pretty good also.

I've not listened to any of Roth's solo output barring the stuff that came out as singles years ago. Some have said that his first few solo albums were excellent although I've heard mixed reviews as to his recent live act i.e. it was suggested that it was a weak band and a going-through- the-numbers performance.

Last edited by benedict; 05-30-04 at 01:18 PM.
Old 05-30-04, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i'd like to vote for both of the last two options.
Old 05-30-04, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think Dave makes the group more entertaining but Sammy is more about the fans. I know the one story where VH had to cancel a few dates during a world tour. A year later when the tour was over and with no new disc to promote the band played those cities for free as a way to make up for the lost dates. It was well known that the brothers VH were against the idea of free but Sammy said he was doing it with or without them.
Old 05-30-04, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Bring Dave back damn it.
Old 06-01-04, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm surprised by the number of "call it quits" votes
Old 06-01-04, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think VH had some great songs from both Dave and Sammy. I take either one. Sherone was a joke.
Old 06-01-04, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm in the Sammy's cool but I'd rather see Dave category. I think one of the great missed opportunities in music was the aborted "reunion" with Dave back in 96. There was such a buzz among fans at that time when Dave appeared with the band at the MTV awards. That was also the same year Kiss reunited and the timing just seemed perfect as a generation of fans never got to see the Dave led version live. Admittedly it would not be the same now because Dave is a parody of himself, but I am not excited about the reunion with Sammy.
Old 06-01-04, 01:25 PM

I love the Roth days. I think Roth was the best but for today, I would definitely take Hagar. Let's face it, the years haven't been very good to Roth. I went to his last show and he really did not sound good plus he can't even remeber the words to the songs. He's entertaining but he just doesn't have what is needed anymore to be the singer for Van Halen. Hagar still rocks! He sounds just as good as he did the day he joined Van Halen. I guess Roth just needed to lay off the coke. I'm just going to be glad to see Eddie back on that stage. I even liked their last tour with Sherone. I also like the new single from Van Halen so I think they made a wise decision.
Old 06-01-04, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Cyberock
I love the Roth days. I think Roth was the best but for today, I would definitely take Hagar. Let's face it, the years haven't been very good to Roth. I went to his last show and he really did not sound good plus he can't even remeber the words to the songs. He's entertaining but he just doesn't have what is needed anymore to be the singer for Van Halen. Hagar still rocks! He sounds just as good as he did the day he joined Van Halen. I guess Roth just needed to lay off the coke. I'm just going to be glad to see Eddie back on that stage. I even liked their last tour with Sherone. I also like the new single from Van Halen so I think they made a wise decision.
Roth didn't remember the lyrics in the 80's either.

Also it's Cherone
Old 06-01-04, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I love the Roth days. I think Roth was the best but for today, I would definitely take Hagar. Let's face it, the years haven't been very good to Roth. I went to his last show and he really did not sound good plus he can't even remeber the words to the songs. He's entertaining but he just doesn't have what is needed anymore to be the singer for Van Halen. Hagar still rocks! He sounds just as good as he did the day he joined Van Halen.
Bingo. Dave still thinks it is 1980. Sammy is a man of the times. All the people that can't get over Dave need to face it. If VH stuck with him, they would have disappeared right alongside poison and every other hair band of the 80's. Hagar kept it fresh. Sammy gets my vote.
Old 06-01-04, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by cactusoly
I'm surprised by the number of "call it quits" votes
They just arent relevant anymore. I dont blame them for wanting to go out and make $30million touring America, but they bring NOTHING to the table.
Old 06-01-04, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Michael Corvin
Bingo. Dave still thinks it is 1980. Sammy is a man of the times. All the people that can't get over Dave need to face it. If VH stuck with him, they would have disappeared right alongside poison and every other hair band of the 80's. Hagar kept it fresh. Sammy gets my vote.
Maybe, but how can you make that assumption when 1984 was a huge album for VH ... the last one with Roth? Are you saying the next 2 albums would have been flops?
Old 06-01-04, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

new single?

pardon me - I've just crawled out of the rock called work I've been under.

Can someone clue me in?
Old 06-01-04, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

new single?

Originally posted by achau9598 Can someone clue me in?
On new best of CD: http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=365298
Old 06-01-04, 06:45 PM

Originally posted by Flashback
Maybe, but how can you make that assumption when 1984 was a huge album for VH ... the last one with Roth? Are you saying the next 2 albums would have been flops?
Well, Roth hasn't been able to produce a good cd on his own since, what was it called, eat em up and smile. I think that was the name of it. The rest have been flops. He ended up as a Las Vegas lounge singer for the longest time while Van Halen continued to produce great albums. I even liked some with Cherone. I would take Van Halen 3 over an crap Roth has done in the last 5 years. Just so you know, I am not a Roth hater, I own every Van Halen cd and every Roth cd. My favorites are the days of Roth with Van Halen. It seems like for Roth to be good, he needs great musicians around him and maybe that is the problem, he has no one. I just think Van Halen did the best thing and went with Sammy again.

Last edited by Cyberock; 06-01-04 at 06:50 PM.
Old 06-02-04, 06:07 AM
Mod Emeritus

Does anyone here remember Julian Cope from "The Teadrop Explodes"?

He has an interesting site where there is a section for people to review old albums. I read this one by JC himself a couple of days ago and thought that the following extract - concerning the eponymous Montrose album - might sit well in this thread:
Now, I'd argue that the Ted Templeman production and formatting of this album became the actual set-in-stone modus operandi for almost every Van Halen album. But not only that, even the lyric of the Utopian sounding and Who-ian "One thing on my Mind" predates by half a decade David Lee Roth's method of writing seduction lyrics to some invisible female in a way which totally reduces the band to a back-up role. By 1980 and Van Halen's third album Women and Children First, Diamond Dave had surpassed himself with the hysterical lyrics of "Everybody Wants Some." But the roots of his muse are right here, and it's interesting that Van Halen graduated to Sammy Hagar when Diamond Dave TV became just too too effing eclectic for even his biggest fans (I say graduated because Sammy Hagar is much better at articulating his muse that Diamond Dave. And even though the David Lee Roth autobiography proves him to be in many ways a true mystic, the proof of the trip in rock'n'roll is shown simply by listening to the effing music).
Needless to say, it is only one guy's opinion but you can read his other reviews to see if you think he is worth taking any notice of.... + his Van Halen review.

Last edited by benedict; 06-02-04 at 06:09 AM.
Old 06-02-04, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, Roth hasn't been able to produce a good cd on his own since, what was it called, eat em up and smile. I think that was the name of it. The rest have been flops. He ended up as a Las Vegas lounge singer for the longest time while Van Halen continued to produce great albums. I even liked some with Cherone. I would take Van Halen 3 over an crap Roth has done in the last 5 years. Just so you know, I am not a Roth hater, I own every Van Halen cd and every Roth cd. My favorites are the days of Roth with Van Halen. It seems like for Roth to be good, he needs great musicians around him and maybe that is the problem, he has no one. I just think Van Halen did the best thing and went with Sammy again.
I see some of your points but it just seems that it is hard for someone to say they (VH) would be a flop if DLR stayed after 1984. Personally I felt 5150 was good and OU812 was just okay...after that (F.U.C.K.-Balance-III) was not so good. My opinion of course.

No knock on Hagar...I think he does a decent job but having seen both versions live I know that the DLR version was a fun show...Hagar, well not so much...I just started going to the Hagar shows only to see EVH.

Now could VH have lasted as long with DLR? I can't tell...but the new song It's About Time makes Me Wise Magic sound like a great song.

Also, this new tour would have been huge if DLR was part of the band. Would he have sounded as good as 20 years ago? Probably not but DLR was not just vocals, it was attitude and Hagar does not have that.

Last edited by Flashback; 06-02-04 at 07:44 AM.
Old 06-02-04, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, Roth hasn't been able to produce a good cd on his own since, what was it called, eat em up and smile. .
That's because he can't write, not because of his singing. If he would have still been able to sing Van Halen written songs, he would have been fine.
Old 06-02-04, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by Flashback

Now could VH have lasted as long with DLR? I can't tell...but the new song It's About Time makes Me Wise Magic sound like a great song.

Well, just heard the new song and have to agree. I'm all for Sammy, but there is nothing special about the new one. Almost sounds like a rough cut.