Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Setlist from first Rush show ****SPOILERS INSIDE****

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-04, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

This was taken off of a Rush message board:

The intro was a new video/animation that had all the album covers and Jerry Stiller waking up from a dream or something...

First Set:

1 - Finding My Way (medley)
2 - Anthem (medley)
3 - Bastille (medley)
4 - Bangkok (medley)
5 - Cygnus (medley)
6 - Hemispheres Prelude (medley)

These first 6 songs were a medley - apparently titled Overture 2004.... and the medley was about 6 minutes, maybe a little more, but each tune in the medley only got a minute to a minute & a half of play, with no singing.

7 - The Spirit of Radio
8 - Force Ten
9 - Animate (shortened by a minute or so)
10 - Subdivisions
11 - Earthshine
12 - Red Barchetta
13 - Roll The Bones (in it's entirety... dammit)
14 - Bravado
15 - YYZ
16 - The Trees (Alex segued into Daytripper here for a brief moment)
17 - The Seeker
18 - One Little Victory

INTERMISSION

Second Set:

19 - Tom Sawyer
20 - Dreamline
21 - Secret Touch
22 - Between the Wheels
23 - Mystic Rhythms
24 - Red Sector A
25 - Drum Solo
26 - Resist (acoustic)
27 - Heart Full of Soul (acoustic)
28 - 2112 (overture, temples, finale)
29 - La Villa Strangiato
30 - ByTor & the Snow Dog
31 - Xanadu (w/ doubleneck!!)
32 - Working Man

Encore:

33 - Summertime Blues
34 - Crossroads
35 - Limelight

Thoughts????

Pros:
Between The Wheels
Xanadu (full version)
Mystic Rhythms

Cons:
Roll The Bones - I wish this song never was)
Acoustic Resist again - I actually like the song, but the is the third tour in a row. I wish they would try something else acoustic
Opening medley - Way to short. Just a horrible tease
Too much cover music - 1 song is enough, we do not need 4
2112 overture and Temples - Enough of this one already

Overall I am pretty disappointed. The only really rare song was Between The Wheels. I wish they would shitcan Animate, Bravado, Dreamline, Red Sector A, and Roll The Bones in favor of stuff we haven't heard in many tours. So much for this tour being a career retrospective.
Old 05-27-04, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
Re: Setlist from first Rush show ****SPOILERS INSIDE****

Originally posted by cdollaz

25 - Drum Solo
26 - Resist (acoustic)
27 - Heart Full of Soul (acoustic)
Neil must need even more time to recover after the drum solo. I guess it will come right before intermission during the next tour.

The main plus for me is no Distant Early Warning. Never was crazy about that song.

The minus is no Fear Trilogy (The Enemy Within, The Weapon, Witchhunt.) Surprised that Ghost Rider didn't make it either.

I imagine this will change a little as the tour goes on.
Old 05-27-04, 10:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It was a great show. It was 3rd time I've seen them and the 1st time that I have seen them do Xanadu in its entirety. The reason for so many cover songs, was to promote their new album which is all covers.
Old 05-27-04, 10:57 AM
Banned

8 - Force Ten
9 - Animate (shortened by a minute or so)
10 - Subdivisions
11 - Earthshine
14 - Bravado
21 - Secret Touch
23 - Mystic Rhythms
24 - Red Sector A

YES! YES! YES! YES!

Animate and Mystic Rhythms, the only two songs that kept the last set list from being perfect! And Secret Touch, Red Sector A...

Thank the Lord in heaven I whipped out over $100 for 10th row.

F*&$ YEAH!

Almost perfect, could use Ghost Rider and.....shit! Nothing else needed!
Old 05-27-04, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I see you got that from good old counterparts...man it is crazy how many people are bitching and moaning about that setlist on that board...****ing spoiled babies.

I dig the set list, I mean I would love to hear a few deeper tracks here and there...but with there extensive catalog, pretty much every song they play can be a hit song.

I can not wait for August the 3rd at Nissan!!!
Old 05-27-04, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by KnightLerxst
I see you got that from good old counterparts...man it is crazy how many people are bitching and moaning about that setlist on that board...****ing spoiled babies.

I see no problem with bitching and moaning. With tix being close to $100 for the last 2 tours, I do not think asking for a little diversity is unreasonable. A lot of the songs on the current set could have been better replaced with other songs that we haven't heard in many years if ever. Of course there are fanboys who are unwilling to ever say anything bad about a band will disagree and say that "just Rush playing period regardless of setlist is enough and we should be happy." I happen to disagree 100% with this, but that's just me.
Old 05-27-04, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I understand diversity...but the problem is everyone has a favorite deep track, and I think there are some people who just won't be satisfied either way.

I am just grateful Rush is touring again...I mean there was a time when it looked like they were done.
Old 05-27-04, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I understand diversity...but the problem is everyone has a favorite deep track, and I think there are some people who just won't be satisfied either way.
Of course you can't play everyone's favorite deep cut, but you can play more than 1 or 2. I would rather hear more regardless of whether or not they happen to be my favorite.
Old 05-27-04, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Eh well I myself am satisfied with the setlist...I mean I would would love to hear Prime Mover, the Countdown, or maybe Afterimage, but eh...it is Rush, I am happy they are still playing music.
Old 05-27-04, 03:55 PM
Banned

Seems some fans are mad because the older stuff isn't being played too much. Great, since I'm a post Permanent Waves fan, it's a fantastic set. I just hope Mystic Rhythems and Animate are not rotated.

And though I love RTB, I agree I've had enough of it. Would have loved to hear more off of HYF.
Old 05-27-04, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm like the newer stuff as well. I'm not saying they should play more old stuff, just different stuff from all eras.
Old 05-27-04, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

last time I saw them on the Vaper Trails tour I really wanted tp hear Subdivisions. Mystic Rhythms is a cool surprise
Old 05-27-04, 07:49 PM
Banned

Originally posted by cactusoly
last time I saw them on the Vaper Trails tour I really wanted tp hear Subdivisions. Mystic Rhythms is a cool surprise
Yup, another great one added back! And Red Barchetta too.

glad that awful Freewill isn't in the set. And though I love Ghost Rider, I'll take Eearthshine and Secret Touch instead!

Old 06-09-04, 10:30 AM

Re: Setlist from first Rush show ****SPOILERS INSIDE****

I caught the show in Clarkston last night. Scored cheap lawn tickets through GetAccess ($15 each!).

I'm not the biggest Rush fan in the world. I only own Vapor Trails and Exit... Stage Left. With that said, I enjoyed the concert quite a lot. I was amazed by Geddy's playing and goofy dancing.

The covers drug the show down majorly. Heart Full of Soul was fine but the two in the encore were very, very bad. Being the novice fan that I am, I would have loved to hear more stuff I knew like Closer To The Heart, Freewill, Fly By Night, or Peaceable Kingdom.

The hip-hop breakdown in Roll The Bones was very weird. I had never heard the song before and I was groovin... until this big ass singing skeleton hit the screens.

Back to the screens... they SERIOUSLY need to tone down the animations on the screens. They used them perfectly to set atmosphere during "2112" and several other songs but very often the images would get in the way of the music. If I wanted to watch cartoons with Rush music playing over them, I would have stayed home. The fire and images during "One Little Victory" were cool at the beginning, but overpowered the music near the end. The images just kept getting in the way.

It's still very hard for me to complain since I paid $15 to hear a great band on what is probably one of their final tours. It was a long show with a ton of songs and a ton of talent. Definitely a good night.

Last edited by blinkin_winkin; 06-09-04 at 10:32 AM.
Old 06-09-04, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
First of all, Whoa! How did I miss this thread? I'm not sure of what to think of the setlist. The six minute medley and the encore worry me, I have never heard the new cover music and 1 1/2 minutes for Rush classics are not enough.. a horrible tease is right!
Old 06-09-04, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I also caught the Clarkston show... solid performance as always

The covers were done well, I thought...I'd disagree with the assessment that they were a major drag on the show, but, that's my taste. Heart Full Of Soul was the best of those, IMO...the audience spontaneously added some of the backing harmonies, and Neil joined in on drums about halfway into the song

Stage setup is quite similar to the Vapor Trails tour...they have the big screen again, with some added panels off to each side. Some new animations, some reused from VT (the dragon, RTB, and ByTor cartoon). Also a few changes in the lighting rig

Oh yes, the dryers make a reprise, along with a sandwich vending machine

Last edited by Illinois Enema Bandit; 06-09-04 at 03:24 PM.
Old 06-09-04, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally posted by Illinois Enema Bandit
The question is, if Geddy throws you a sandwich from the vending machine, will the facilities people confiscate it because it wasn't purchased from the food vendors?
Old 06-09-04, 10:18 PM

Originally posted by Illinois Enema Bandit
I also caught the Clarkston show... solid performance as always

The covers were done well, I thought...I'd disagree with the assessment that they were a major drag on the show, but, that's my taste. Heart Full Of Soul was the best of those, IMO...the audience spontaneously added some of the backing harmonies, and Neil joined in on drums about halfway into the song

Stage setup is quite similar to the Vapor Trails tour...they have the big screen again, with some added panels off to each side. Some new animations, some reused from VT (the dragon, RTB, and ByTor cartoon). Also a few changes in the lighting rig

I liked Heart Full Of Soul a lot. I just didn't want two covers during the encore. I thought for sure they were going to come out and play three of their hits that they hadn't played during the regular set. (I hadn't read this thread for the setlist spoilers). The covers were ok ("Crossroads" was actually pretty good) but I just would have loved one of their classics insted of somebody elses.
Old 06-10-04, 08:48 AM
Banned

Saw the Milwaukee show, had 9th row.

Man, if Peart is not the best drum in all of the rock world, someone tell me who is. Plus he hasn't missed a beat. I watched his playing for 60% of the show, and it was worth every bit of the $140 I laid out.

Great show. Was a bit bored with the last 25% of the show, but still a great band.
Old 06-10-04, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Jason
The question is, if Geddy throws you a sandwich from the vending machine, will the facilities people confiscate it because it wasn't purchased from the food vendors?
I suppose if it's a Clear Channel venue (which DTE Energy is not), they probably would
Old 06-10-04, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by blinkin_winkin
I liked Heart Full Of Soul a lot. I just didn't want two covers during the encore. I thought for sure they were going to come out and play three of their hits that they hadn't played during the regular set. (I hadn't read this thread for the setlist spoilers). The covers were ok ("Crossroads" was actually pretty good) but I just would have loved one of their classics insted of somebody elses.
I know what you are saying, but, as already pointed out, they do have this album out, and it's unrealistic not to expect them to play anything from it

I could have done without RTB...good tune but it could use a rest

Off to Cleveland and 6th row
Old 08-03-04, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Rush at Nissan Pavillion tonite...I am PUMPED!!!
Old 08-03-04, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,132 Posts

Last edited by Giantrobo; 08-03-04 at 06:56 PM.
Old 08-04-04, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Nissan was amazing.

5th row...Alex reacted to me a few times...a-freaking-mazing...
Old 08-04-04, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Nissan was amazing.

5th row...Alex reacted to me a few times...a-freaking-mazing...
Yeah, I think I saw you.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.