Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Setlist from first Rush show ****SPOILERS INSIDE****

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Setlist from first Rush show ****SPOILERS INSIDE****

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-04, 04:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,131 Posts
Originally posted by KnightLerxst
Nissan was amazing.

5th row...Alex reacted to me a few times...a-freaking-mazing...
What did you do? Flash your tits?
Old 08-04-04, 05:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Scranton for me on Saturday night.

The temperature is going to be 70 degrees! W00t! I thought it was going to be 90 degrees plus that day.
Old 08-04-04, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Giantrobo
What did you do? Flash your tits?
Let's just say I showed him my Snow Dog.

Nah I was kinda chearing and pointing at him like a mad man...he just pointed at himself and went "Me? Nah?"

Even if he wasn't reacting to me let me have my moment of delusion!
Old 08-04-04, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Foole
Yeah, I think I saw you.

Hey man like I said let me have my moment of delusion!
Old 08-05-04, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hartford tomorrow night for me!
This will be my third Rush concert.
Old 08-06-04, 04:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I gotta say the Jerry Stiller, That Darn Dragon, and the sweet screen design was great.
Old 08-06-04, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Whats up with Jerry STiller?

I might not be able to go tomorrow to the Scranton show because yesterday I found out the nasty rash I have on my leg is Shingles; and one of the guys that I am going with his wife is pregnant!
Old 08-06-04, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts
Stiller opens and closes the show...

You guys need to play more Bangkok! Get on the stage already, guys! I can't believe they played Bangkok.
Old 08-06-04, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Looks like Lester is pertty upset the Rush swept their music polls!

Canadian pomp rock tops Reg music poll
By Lester Haines
Published Friday 30th July 2004 12:56 GMT
Poll result Well, the results of our Mother of all Music Polls are in, and they make sobering reading indeed. More than 7,000 of you voted and we can now confirm beyond any doubt that - despite previous reports to the contrary - developers do not play air guitar to Megadeth. No, it's much, much worse than that.

The shocking truth is that the whole of the IT world is apparently obsessed with unpleasant Canadian pomp rock in the shape of Rush. In fact, the only profession which did not vote this their number one choice of easy listening were the Strategy Boutiques (Ad Sales/Marketing/PR), who have evidently decided to eschew whalesong to rock on to honourary unpleasant Canadian pomp rockers Heart.

There are three possible explanations for this:

1) That the world of IT is awash with Rush aficionados.
2) That the vote is simply a "dirty protest" against the omission of certain genres and artists - the online equivalent of fouling oneself and spreading the results around the walls.
3) That participants did not understand that only one vote was allowed overall - not one vote in each category, thereby swinging the tally in favour of unpleasant Candian pomp rock.

Whatever the truth, all three options are equally unpalatable.

Furthermore, we discern few patterns emerging from the poll, apart from the fact that academics are the only people to have even the slightest interest in classical music and hardware engineers will occasionally get their rocks off to Queen. Draw what conclusions you will from that chilling prospect.

Before announcing the full results we would, however, like to give a heads-up to CIO/IT directors who do not - as previously claimed - enjoy fine wines to the sound of Mozart, but rather formulate their IT strategies to a backdrop of Slayer and the Dead Kennedys. And Rush, obviously.

Here, then, are the top 30 artists as voted for by you, our beloved readers:

Rush — 737
Metallica — 422
Radiohead — 281
Heart — 276
Iron Maiden — 274
Red Hot Chili Peppers — 238
Pink Floyd — 230
Led Zeppelin — 202
Megadeth — 191
Nirvana — 188
Slayer — 165
Queen — 138
Portishead — 129
Smashing Pumpkins — 125
Kraftwerk — 125
Pixies — 116
AC/DC — 115
U2 — 108
Black Sabbath — 99
Coldplay — 87
Guns N' Roses — 84
R.E.M — 75
Bach — 69
Beastie Boys — 65
Dead Kennedys — 65
Jimi Hendrix — 62
Motorhead — 60
The Beatles — 60
Joy Division — 57
The Smiths — 57

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/07..._poll_results/

IT people like Rush... Really?
Old 08-16-04, 07:35 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Just saw the show at Darien Lake (Buffalo, NY). I haven't seen Rush since 1996 in Maryland, so I was looking forward to this, especially after seeing them on the DVD.

A couple thoughts...

It might have been where I sat- though I doubt it, but until they got to 'La Villa' the mix sucked total @ss. I couldn't hear- at all- the guitar. Maybe it was instrument-specific but I would have expected better. Maybe it was the venue, but I haven't experienced it before. I was less than 100' from the stage and I couldn't make out a thing that Alex was talking/singing about. I was actually wishing the concert would end, it was really really irritating.

Neil needs to use different samples; most of his sampled bass-drum sounds totally 'blot out' the brighter percussion. Very muddy sound. It might sound fine in a studio but it sounded like I was next to a kid in a Chevy Cavalier w/my windows rolled up.

They didn't get the mix fixed all together until La Villa, well into the 2nd set. For what this concert cost, plus the workman-like performances that these guys are known for, well, the fans deserved much better.
Old 08-16-04, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by devilshalo
Stiller opens and closes the show...

You guys need to play more Bangkok! Get on the stage already, guys! I can't believe they played Bangkok.

They also play a video of him "Rockin' out" and throwin' the Heavy Metal Devil Horns to Bankok.
Old 08-16-04, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by PrivateJoker
Just saw the show at Darien Lake (Buffalo, NY). I haven't seen Rush since 1996 in Maryland, so I was looking forward to this, especially after seeing them on the DVD.

A couple thoughts...

It might have been where I sat- though I doubt it, but until they got to 'La Villa' the mix sucked total @ss. I couldn't hear- at all- the guitar. Maybe it was instrument-specific but I would have expected better. Maybe it was the venue, but I haven't experienced it before. I was less than 100' from the stage and I couldn't make out a thing that Alex was talking/singing about. I was actually wishing the concert would end, it was really really irritating.

Neil needs to use different samples; most of his sampled bass-drum sounds totally 'blot out' the brighter percussion. Very muddy sound. It might sound fine in a studio but it sounded like I was next to a kid in a Chevy Cavalier w/my windows rolled up.

They didn't get the mix fixed all together until La Villa, well into the 2nd set. For what this concert cost, plus the workman-like performances that these guys are known for, well, the fans deserved much better.

Ah man that sucks.

But that kinda stuff happens a lot on tours. You figure they have to deal with different venue sound qualities, buidling designs, and other variables it's any wonder most bands sound good more often than not.

Personally I like like seeing them indoors better than outside venues. RUSH is one of the few groups to use SURROUND SPEAKERS in their shows but they don't seem to use them in outside venues.
Old 08-16-04, 10:34 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally posted by Giantrobo
Ah man that sucks.

But that kinda stuff happens a lot on tours. You figure they have to deal with different venue sound qualities, buidling designs, and other variables it's any wonder most bands sound good more often than not.
They're paid a lot of money to sound good. I agree w/your point, and maybe I'm a bit critical about this, but heck, it was an open-air stadium with a tent-roof kinda thing. I'm sure I'll forget about it as soon as I put in the 'Rush in Rio' DVD

The surround thing would have really made the show...gotta see if I can catch them indoors sometime...
Old 08-16-04, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well I doubt they will be doing anything indoors for a long time, as long as Alex gets off from his court hearing they begin work on their next album after the holidays. (Or so Geddy says)