Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Jeff Tweedy Enters Rehab

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Jeff Tweedy Enters Rehab

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-04, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jeff Tweedy Enters Rehab

NEW YORK (Billboard) -- Wilco lead singer Jeff Tweedy is entering rehab to address an addiction to painkillers, a spokesperson told Billboard.com.

"The treatment follows a well-documented history of Tweedy's battle with migraine headaches," according to a statement released by the Chicago group.

More

Plus, the Wilco website has the new album up and available as a Quicktime stream.
Old 04-06-04, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry, but if it's not Bobby Brown, Whitney Houston or if they don't have the last name Osbourne, no one will really care...
Old 04-06-04, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Rogue588
Sorry, but if it's not Bobby Brown, Whitney Houston or if they don't have the last name Osbourne, no one will really care...

That's good, at least. I don't think it's any of anybody's business (not that I care about Brown, Houston, OR Osbourne).
Old 04-06-04, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Bummer. Good to hear that he's doing something about it, though.

I'm looking forward to the next Wilco album... if it's better than "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot", wow.
Old 04-07-04, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I hope he gets it all together.

I also hope that the US tour dates happen.
Old 04-07-04, 07:39 AM

Originally posted by DGibFen
Bummer. Good to hear that he's doing something about it, though.

I'm looking forward to the next Wilco album... if it's better than "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot", wow.
You can stream it from their site here: http://www.wilcoworld.net/ghost/index.html

I have a feeling from the www.viachicago.org board that "Spiders" will ruin or strengthen longtime Wilco fans.
Old 04-07-04, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm a big Wilco fan but I kind of get the feeling that YHF was their peak. The band seems to have lost it's spirit after Jay Bennett left and the new album is definitely no YHF. I see Tweedy going solo in the near future. I hope I'm wrong.
Old 04-07-04, 12:45 PM

Originally posted by cungar
I'm a big Wilco fan but I kind of get the feeling that YHF was their peak. The band seems to have lost it's spirit after Jay Bennett left and the new album is definitely no YHF. I see Tweedy going solo in the near future. I hope I'm wrong.
Hmm... Do you think it's significant that the new album looks like "Wilco (less than or equal to sign) A Ghost is Born." ?

Old 04-07-04, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The new album is not as good as Yankee Hotel, but it is still a nice record.

Some great longer instrumental sections on the first half of the album.

They sound amazing when they turn up the volume and actually become a "rock" band.

I'm sure Tweedy will be fine, it's headaches, some better medicine and time off should do the trick.

BTW - If you have downloaded "Ghost" you can contribute to a charity fund via the Mtv News link on the story.

they have raised several thousand dollars in just a few days.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/148...05/story.jhtml
Old 04-07-04, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't concur with Wilco headed downward. Jeff is the brilliance in Wilco. With YHF, they've gone in a new direction. A Ghost is Born is an excellent album. Old timer fans will find that its closer to the Loose Fur EP than old Wilco - which is fine with me. Tweedy is growing as an artist and IMHO, becoming much more intriguing.

Spiders (Kidsmoke) has been performed live and is on live tapes for a while now. I'm not sure what the big surprise is.. Jim O'Rourke definitely rubbed off on him.

I find this new album better and better and better with each listen. I'm biased I guess - I find Jeff Tweedy's songwriting near perfect.

(Wilco should be paying royalties to the Beatles trust for Hummingbird, BTW. )

Last edited by CRM114; 04-07-04 at 03:36 PM.
Old 04-07-04, 05:18 PM

Originally posted by CRM114
I don't concur with Wilco headed downward. Jeff is the brilliance in Wilco....Tweedy is growing as an artist and IMHO, becoming much more intriguing.

Spiders (Kidsmoke) has been performed live and is on live tapes for a while now. I'm not sure what the big surprise is..
I think it has something to do with a lot of people getting used to and loving the live version of the song. You have to admit, the kraut-rock sound on "Spiders" is nothing like what they played live. I'm one of the people that loves it, though. I really like all of the new stuff.

I find this new album better and better and better with each listen. I'm biased I guess - I find Jeff Tweedy's songwriting near perfect.

Me, too. Tweedy's my favorite songwriter.
Old 04-08-04, 03:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I listened to the new record a couple of times last night and really enjoyed it. I love that the Thurston Moore-y guitar work I saw from him live awhile back has fully leaked into the new songs.
Old 04-08-04, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Maybe it's just me, but does anyone else hear some Neil Young in Jeff's guitar playing now, as well?

First noticed it last year, when they played "Handshake Drugs" on the Soundstage show, and have heard it a little bit already on the new record.
Old 04-11-04, 05:08 AM
Banned

I really dig the new album, and am really pleased with the direction Tweedy went after YHF. It's still a refreshing, original piece of work, yet holds onto the great Tweedy sound. I don't know what some people were expecting after YHF - how much more experimental can you expect the band to get?
Old 04-11-04, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Jeff Tweedy Enters Rehab

Who?
Old 04-11-04, 01:07 PM

Re: Jeff Tweedy Enters Rehab

Originally posted by darqleo
Who?
Just some new band from Chicago.
Old 04-12-04, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Re: Jeff Tweedy Enters Rehab

Originally posted by Penny Lane
Just some new band from Chicago.

What? No they're not. They've released a whole bunch of critically acclaimed albums.

You should do some research before posting false information about bands from now on.
Old 04-12-04, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
I don't know who he is but to anyone trying to make positive changes.
Old 04-12-04, 10:50 AM

Re: Re: Re: Jeff Tweedy Enters Rehab

Originally posted by Frank TJ Mackey
What? No they're not. They've released a whole bunch of critically acclaimed albums.

You should do some research before posting false information about bands from now on.
Yeah, but those critically acclaimed albums weren't released until after Tweedy got out of Whiskeytown. So essentially they're a new band.