Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The State of Metal 2004

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The State of Metal 2004

Old 01-31-04, 05:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The State of Metal 2004

Maybe I'm the only one who feels like this, but lately this metal scene reminds me of the days of 1994. That year we had fresh, angry, and outstanding hard rock/metal/hardcore coming out. I'm talking the beginning of bands like Korn, Marilyn Manson, Machine Head. Rage Against the Machine and Nine Inch Nails all coming into their own. Deftones 'Adrenaline' and Fear Factory 'Demanufacture' only coming out a year later. These are all huge well known names now, although the music integrity has dwindled with a choice few of these bands. We all know who I speak of.

2004, i feel, has the same kind of energy with really good metal hitting the underground. I'm finding the same kind of excitement at live shows. Bands such as Killswitch Engage, Lamb of God, Candiria, Remembering Never, Hatebreed, DevilDriver. All are brutal bands and I love it. Also new albums this year from Slayer, Fear Factory, Killswitch Engage, Nine Inch Nails, Slipknot, and Candiria. This really is shaping up to be an exciting year.

Last edited by tony_montana187; 01-31-04 at 05:20 PM.
Old 01-31-04, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Has there been anymore information released about NiN's new album, other than the title? What direction Reznor is taking it? Etc?
Old 01-31-04, 09:23 PM

Fear Factory
Serious??

When??

SCSIMan
Old 02-01-04, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by LivingINClip
Has there been anymore information released about NiN's new album, other than the title? What direction Reznor is taking it? Etc?
It's been called Visceral and "very electric." It sounds like he's getting pissed off again. Still not a lot of information about it, but basically it sounds like the songs are going to have a more harsh electronic, pissed off vibe to them. Maybe something between TDS and Broken.
Old 02-01-04, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've gotten tired of all the same-sounding Nu-Metal bands and have really gotten into Progressive Metal in the last couple years. I LOVE it!
Old 02-01-04, 11:04 PM

Progressive Metal ala Opeth?
Old 02-01-04, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Progressive Metal ala Opeth?

Only way to fly.
Old 02-02-04, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can't get into a lot of the newer bands with the "Cookie Monster" vocals. I'm a traditionalist. Give me the classics like Judas Priest and Iron Maiden.
Old 02-03-04, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Opeth
Nevermore
Iced Earth
Dimmu Borgir
Cradle of Filth
Nightwish
Evergrey
In Flames
Dark Tranquillity
Lacuna Coil
Meshuggah

These are but a few of the reasons I'm so happy with the metal scene these days.
Old 02-03-04, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally posted by cactusoly
I can't get into a lot of the newer bands with the "Cookie Monster" vocals. I'm a traditionalist. Give me the classics like Judas Priest and Iron Maiden.

Check out "Dragonslayer" or "Evilized" by Dream Evil sometime. Solid metal with great vocals. Very traditional.

Another recent find which is really great is "Passage to the Other Side" by Seven Witches.

And edclem, Nightwish are amazing!
Old 02-03-04, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 803 Likes on 589 Posts
If you get one Nightwish album, this is the one to get:

And, speaking of Opeth, check out "Damnation." It's from a metal band, but it's not exactly a metal album:

Old 02-03-04, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Korn and NIN is Metal??? Funny you think of 1994 as a great year in Metal... as a long time metal fan I think of it as the year Metal died.

I'm with the other guy, I hate this "nu-metal" and hardcore stuff with the cookie monster singer who wears a baseball cap. I think Hatebreed is one of the worst bands I've ever heard. I'm much more into the thrash, power and hair metal stuff. Give me Iron Maiden, Overkill, Dokken, Motley Crue and Dio anyday.

I'm really looking forward to Brides of Destruction, Nikki Sixx and Tracii Guns new band.

I really like that new band Hammerfall

and of course...
THE DARKNESS = Best Metal Band in 10 Years.
Old 02-03-04, 10:40 PM

There are two things I hate.

Nu-Metal - Hatebreed, Korn and other bands.
Hair Metal - The 80's.

Thank you.
Old 02-03-04, 11:06 PM

Lets not forget the Halford is back in Priest.
Im sure were gonna hear some REAL METAL from those boys real soon & not none of that Sissy Ass False Metal crap they play on the radio nowdays .

Last edited by jk4w; 02-03-04 at 11:10 PM.
Old 02-04-04, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There are two things I hate.

Hair Metal - The 80's.

Thank you.
There are two things I hate too...

Crap-Metal - Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park and other bands.

And two things I love.

Hair-Metal - The 80's - Ratt, Bon-Jovi, Winger, Firehouse, Poison, Quiet Riot, Motley Crue, Whitesnake, Cinderella, Stryper, Britny Fox, Skid Row...

Heavy Metal - Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Godsmack, Metallica, Megadeth, Metal Church, Anthrax, Alice In Chains, Soundgarden...

Well three things I love.

Hard Rock - Van Halen, Kiss, Sammy Hagar, Twisted Sister, Def Leppard, Krokus, Dokken, Extreme, Scorpions, Fuel, Puddle Of Mudd, Creed, AC/DC, ZZ Top, Guns N' Roses, Three Doors Down, Ozzy, Dio, Rush, Triumph, Stone Temple Pilots...

Thank You...
Old 02-04-04, 08:19 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
HATE:

(c)rap metal
hair metal - except for RATT!
nu-metal (but do like hatebreed - after 5 songs though, you've heard it all)

LOVE:

thrash - slayer,megadeth, metallica
black - zyklon, emporer
swedish thrash (my fav) - corpration 187, the haunted!!, at the gates
death/thrash - morbid angel, black dehlia murder,
Old 02-04-04, 08:22 AM

I know I just did not read about Creed, Fuel and Three Doors Down being "hard rock". Please, tell me I didn't read that.

Old 02-04-04, 05:49 PM

How is Hatebreed nu-metal? They are one of the bands that started the whole return of real metal in America by basically mixing Pantera's sound with hardcore.

The state of metal seems to be always good. If you think it's dead then you either have bad taste in music or aren't looking hard enough for the stuff you want to listen to.

These are just a few of the bands that kept the mid to late nineties full with metal goodnes:

Opeth
Strapping Young Lad/Devin Townsend
Meshuggah
In Flames
At the Gates
Testament
Theatre of Tragedy
Old 02-04-04, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Converge is releasing a new album this year (hopefully), which will make this year rock. Come to think of it, the last three years or say have been a very good time to be into metal.

And just to add, Hatebreed isnt nu-metal, they are more tough guy style hardcore. I dont really understand the hype around them, pretty much all of the songs they play are based around cheesy break downs (dun...dun dun dun dun.....dun dun....)
Old 02-04-04, 10:28 PM

Originally posted by flair

And just to add, Hatebreed isnt nu-metal, they are more tough guy style hardcore. I dont really understand the hype around them, pretty much all of the songs they play are based around cheesy break downs (dun...dun dun dun dun.....dun dun....)
You cant tell me those Hatebreed breakdows arent HEAVY AS HELL.
If you want a killer metal record check out the new GOATWHORE CD ,its one of the most brutal things ive heard in a long time !
Old 02-04-04, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 461 Likes on 332 Posts
WTF? Fear Factory got back together? Wholly shit! That's got to be the best news I've heard all year!
Old 02-04-04, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by jk4w
You cant tell me those Hatebreed breakdows arent HEAVY AS HELL.
If you want a killer metal record check out the new GOATWHORE CD ,its one of the most brutal things ive heard in a long time !
I am not a big fan of chugga chugga, breakdown, chug, etc. even if it is heavy. There are only a few bands that can pull it off well (meshugga, a life once lost come to mind).
Old 02-05-04, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I know I just did not read about Creed, Fuel and Three Doors Down being "hard rock". Please, tell me I didn't read that.

I'm curious what are they labeled under then???
Old 02-05-04, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Old 02-06-04, 10:25 AM

Shameless plug here.

Have you guys checked out www.metal-rules.com ? There is info on allot of these bands put up daily. The upcoming release section is done twice a month + there are monthly cd/dvd reviews. Check it out and give some feedback on what you think and what you'd like to see.
tks

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.