Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Bad Religion re-issues and DVD coming

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 01-29-04, 03:48 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm really psyched about this, as I'm a relatively new fan and missed out on the oldest stuff, as well as the dvd. And I don't want to hear about them being 'sellouts'

From badreligion.com

Re-issues coming in April!
Get ready -- this April, Bad Religion will be re-releasing completely re-mixed and re-mastered versions of How Could Hell Be Any Worse, Suffer, No Control, Against The Grain, AND Generator! Also coming is a re-issue of the Along The Way video on DVD. It all hits stores on April 6th!
Old 01-29-04, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just bought allt he BR albums within the last year. Damn.

Ah more money to blow.

I will pick up How Could Hell Be Any Worse since they never put that one out individually on cd, only on 80-85.

Now if they would just release Into the Unknown on CD. Good album...not punk, but a good album.
Old 01-30-04, 07:53 AM

I really liked Into the Unknown. Too bad the hardcore fans and the band hate it.
Old 01-30-04, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's all about "Suffer." That was by far my fav album of theirs.
Old 01-30-04, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by xmiyux
It's all about "Suffer." That was by far my fav album of theirs.
Totally agree. Best album they ever put out. I would think about picking this up, probably not the rest though.
Old 01-30-04, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by fnordboy
Totally agree. Best album they ever put out. I would think about picking this up, probably not the rest though.
Especially *shudder* No Substance - which was aptly named. Thanks for the reminder though guys, i haven't listened to those old albums since high school and it might just be time to break them out again. Recently i listened to Down By Law: Punkrockacademyfightsong for the first time in years as well. Ahhh..... good times
Old 01-30-04, 12:40 PM
Suspended

Cool, Suffer will be the first one I pick up.
Old 01-30-04, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Gourmet Artist
I really liked Into the Unknown. Too bad the hardcore fans and the band hate it.
Why? What's wrong with it? What is it, if it's not punk?
Old 01-30-04, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 612 Likes on 408 Posts
Originally posted by TeeSeeJay
Why? What's wrong with it? What is it, if it's not punk?
I haven't heard it myself, so I can't comment, but the All Music Guide calls it "hard rock". Rolling Stone's biography sez:

Unfortunately, the band soon began experimenting with synthesizers, and their next release, 1983's Into the Unknown, consisted of slow, synth-laden epics and introspective acoustic ballads that alienated most of their punk fanbase.
Bad Religion's site has comments from its users about the album as well.
Old 01-30-04, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Adam Tyner
I haven't heard it myself, so I can't comment, but the All Music Guide calls it "hard rock". Rolling Stone's biography sez:

Bad Religion's site has comments from its users about the album as well.
Ah, thanks.
Old 01-30-04, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If you really want to hear Into The Unknown check out www.bad-religion.net

You can check out demos, b-sides, and Into The Unknown...all the mp3's have been approved by the band.

I could swear that I read somewhere that Greg would like to re-release it, but I believe Mr. Brett has the tapes and owns the rights and despises the album
Old 01-30-04, 02:07 PM
Cool New Member

I'm a big Bad Religion fan, I really liked Into The Unknown, even hough it's not punk it's a really great album. I wish they would release a re-mastered version as what's out there is of really poor quality. The first re-master I'll pick up is How Could Hell Be Any Worse, the version that's on 80-85 is really poor quality and is in desperate need of a re-mastering. I heard the original masters for it were lost in a fire so it will be interesting to see how the new one comes out.
Old 01-30-04, 02:08 PM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by KnightLerxst
If you really want to hear Into The Unknown check out www.bad-religion.net

You can check out demos, b-sides, and Into The Unknown...all the mp3's have been approved by the band.

I could swear that I read somewhere that Greg would like to re-release it, but I believe Mr. Brett has the tapes and owns the rights and despises the album
Gregg did want to re-release it. My understanding is that he wanted to re-mix it without the synthasizers and re-release it but Brett nixed the idea because as you stated he owns the rights.
Old 01-30-04, 02:31 PM
Suspended

Is Brett part of the damned band or not? geez... I mean, I think he is a necessary part of the musical equation, but he clearly has ISSUES.
Old 01-30-04, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Eh I think Brett is in denial...he was the one who gave Greg that damned keyboard....
Old 02-02-04, 05:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

New info...

PunkNews reports the following:

While each of the discs will be remastered, they will not be remixed, as previously reported. That was an error on BadReligion.com's behalf. What this means is that none of the levels of any instrument will be altered, just the recording as a whole will just be polished up so it doesn't sound so tinny.

80-85 will simply become How Could Hell Be Any Worse?, with the original artwork [including a never-before-seen color collage for the lyric sheet]. It will include all the bonus tracks that were on 80-85.

Generator will contain two bonus tracks - the original versions of "Heaven is Falling" and "Fertile Crescent," originally on the band's Maximumrockandroll 7".

The re-issues will all be priced lower than ever before.

Look for all the re-issues in stores on April 6th.

From Epitaph:

How Could Hell Be Any Worse? (reissue)

Jay Bentley - Bass
Greg Hetson - Guitar
Greg Graffin - Vocals
Mr. Brett - Guitar
Pete Finestone - Drums

This digitally re-mastered version of "How Could Hell Be Any Worse?" is taking place of the "80-85" album which is now out of print. It contains the exact same track listing as "80-85" and now has the packaging it should have had in the first place...

With this album a fuse was lit, leading to an explosion that spawned a new religion: Bad Religion. This, their second record and first LP is nothing short of genius. Shattered-glass guitar riffs, fast, furious drums, and a 16 year old Greg Graffin's voice for the ages. The coalescence of lyrical intellect and savage music make for a sound seldom (if ever) heard before. The impact of this record still resonates to this day. Classic tracks like "**** Armageddon...This Is Hell," "American Dream," and "The Voice Of God Is Government" are as crucial and socially lucid as the day they were created in a southern California garage. When the greatest punk records of all-time are discussed, How Could Hell Be Any Worse is sure to be mentioned.

Suffer (reissue)

Jay Bentley - Bass
Greg Hetson - Guitar
Greg Graffin - Vocals
Mr. Brett - Guitar
Pete Finestone - Drums

This digitally re-mastered version of "Suffer" comes with new art and finally allows you to hear this album the way it was meant to be heard!

BR's third album that was hailed as "Best Album Of The Year" by punk bibles Flipside and Maximum Rock 'n Roll. Bad Religion's 1987 release, is one of their finest. The band (which saw the original line-up reunite for the album's release) was improving and becoming more and more focused with each successive release, and SUFFER showed the band as one of the world's top thought-provoking punk outfits. Although many similar-sounding bands have taken Bad Religion's patented sound further chartwise, few have been able to truly top such Bad Religion classics as "You Are (the Government)," the title track, "Do What You Want," and "What Can You Do?"

No Control (reissue)

Jay Bentley - Bass
Greg Hetson - Guitar
Greg Graffin - Vocals
Mr. Brett - Guitar
Pete Finestone - Drums

This digitally re-mastered version of "No Control" comes with new art and finally allows you to hear this album the way it was meant to be heard!

"No Control" is one of the albums that helped bridge the band's more reckless earlier direction with their more focused (but just as pissed-off) '90s-era. The strength of such cuts as "Big Bang," "Automatic Man," the title track, and "I Want to Conquer the World." NO CONTROL is one of the bands best all-time albums and an archetypal blueprint for the genre. Bad Religion has been setting the standard for years; this album is yet another stone in the band?s long road to identity and style.

Against The Grain (reissue)

Jay Bentley - Bass
Greg Hetson - Guitar
Greg Graffin - Vocals
Mr. Brett - Guitar
Pete Finestone - Drums

This digitally re-mastered version of "Against The Grain" comes with new art and finally allows you to hear this album the way it was meant to be heard!

"Against The Grain" is screechingly released hot on the heels of the prvious years punk hit `No Control' which sold so many copies, why not keep the formula untouched? The exuberance of this release is kinda tuff ta' blow off. Contains the superior original version of ൝st Century Digital Boy" plus 16 more crucial cuts. A barrage of melodic, hyper-overdrive.

Generator (reissue)

Jay Bentley- bass
Greg Hetson- guitar
Greg Graffin- vocals
Mr. Brett- guitar
Bobby Schayer- drums

This digitally re-mastered version of "Generator" contains two bonus tracks for "Heaven Is Falling" and "Fertile Crescent" that originally appeared on the split 7" with Noam Chomsky put out by Maximum Rock'N Roll in '91.

"Generator" knocks about stirringly with a steadfast, mid-tempo punk roar, keeping the songs simple but continually on the upsurge. Brett and Greg Hetson's guitars piggyback to ever-rousing heights, utilizing the essential chords and keeping limits on flashy things like solos or effects, never letting the enthusiasm or sentiment wane. With all players striving to turn each listening experience into a placard-waving melee, Bad Religion emblazons honest, dissatisfied-with-the-status-quo lyrics with an Uberpunk spirit, Greg Graffin's vocals growing more gravelly and endearing with each record. With the implicit understanding that strength lies in brevity, Bad Religion hew mighty exhortations to action out of a well-trampled happy-punk base, and the sheer motivational impact of "Generator," "Only Entertainment," "Atomic Garden" and "No Direction" sweeps clear any charges of oversimplification or sameness. Generator is a brutal noise that is louder, faster & angrier than ever! A plethora of power punching punk pedagogy."

Along The Way

Jay Bentley- bass
Greg Hetson- guitar
Greg Graffin- vocals
Mr. Brett- guitar
Pete Finestone- drums

Reissue in DVD format...
Shot live during Bad Religion's 1989 European tour, Along the Way captures the raw fury of the original Bad Religion live show. 75 sweaty minutes of candid video takes the viewer on a true punk rock van tour of small clubs and squats. Includes personal interviews with Greg G., Greg H., Jay, Bobby & Mr. Brett. The ultimate punk road movie! NTSC (American TV) format only.

Last edited by KnightLerxst; 02-02-04 at 05:13 AM.