Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

New Magnetic Fields record in may

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-04, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

May 4th. Happy birf-day to me!

When did Merritt move out of the Merge fold?

Here are some links.

From www.tinymixtapes.com

Stephin Merritt Doubles Workload, New Magnetic Fields Album Due In May

Modern-day Irving Berlin Stephin Merritt has announced plans to release a brand new Magnetic Fields record this May. The new album, currently entitled i will see Merritt once again colloborating with his 69 Love Songs pals. The album, the band's first for Nonesuch (home to Laurie Anderson, Compay Segundo, and Wilco) will feature 14 songs all beginning with the letter "i". Merritt sings all the songs on the album and will be accompanied by John Woo, Claudia Gonson, and Sam Davol. The band is also in the planning stages of a summer tour, which will see the foursome fanning across the U.S. in late April, May, June, and July in support of i.

Merritt will also present his second colloboration with Chinese theatre director Shi-Zeng Chen. The two double-teamed last year for "The Orphan of Zhao," which debuted at New York's Lincoln Center Festival. This time around, the duo will present an opera entitled "The Peach Blossom Fan," which will premiere at LA's Red Cat Theater and will run April 11-25.

For more info check out http://www.redcat.org as well as Merritt's official newspage over at http://www.houseoftomorrow.com.
From www.houseoftomorrow.com, Merritt's official page

In May, the Magnetic Fields will release their new album on Nonesuch Records. The album title is "i." It will have 14 new Stephin Merritt recordings, all starting with the letter i. The songs are sung by Stephin and accompanied by the four-piece band, John Woo (banjo and guitar), Sam Davol (cello) and Claudia Gonson (piano and percussion). The band plans to tour select dates around the US during May, June and July, and will post dates when available.
Old 01-29-04, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm very excited about this. It's been entirely too long without a new album.

Oh, and they moved off Merge a few months ago. No idea why.
Old 01-30-04, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This is terrific! I wondered when their (his?) next album was coming out.

I still break out 69 Love Songs and Charm of the Highway Strip monthly. They both just get better the more you listen to them.
Old 01-31-04, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Hiro11
This is terrific! I wondered when their (his?) next album was coming out.

I still break out 69 Love Songs and Charm of the Highway Strip monthly. They both just get better the more you listen to them.
That's very true, especially for 69 Love Songs. There's a lot of subtlety in the music that's easy to miss.
Old 01-31-04, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After reading the interview that came with the set, I'm convinced that Stephin Merritt is a true musical genius, or at least one of the most ambitious musicians ever. Not a single song on there was just tossed off -- he had a plan for everything.