Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Cd's that hava a PA sticker that don't really deserve it?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-03, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The latest Uncle Cracker cd. The only bad word according to my brother is "punkass"
Puddle of Mudd "come clean" She hate's me is the only "bad" song
Trapt I have heard 4 f bombs so far
While I think that the greatest hits collection of Green Day should have one as I have counted many. Is there some kind of review process that cd's have to go through?
Old 05-28-03, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's dependent upon the record company themselves. It is strongly suggested by the PMRC (I think that's it), that the record company review the final product and decide whether or not to put one on it. A lot of it probably comes down the politics and money, but in the end I haven't seen too many that don't deserve it. One that comes to mind is Powerman 5000's "Tonight The stars revolt." It was originally released without one, then after I bought it I found it again with one, and have seen it with the sticker ever since. If I remember correctly it has the word 'Damn' and "mother****er" once each.
Old 05-28-03, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

isn't there an instrumental frank zappa album that got a PA sticker?
seriously.
Old 05-28-03, 12:51 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by edclem
According to that VH1 movie, yes.
Old 05-28-03, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

haha you never know when frank's awesome guitar work might actually be telling you to experiment with the "stink".

Old 05-28-03, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Isn't whether or not a curse word is in a song title (and thus, on the outside packaging) a factor for the record labels?

IIRC, R.E.M. avoided getting a sticker on Automatic For The People by re-titling one of their songs "Star Me Kitten." Or maybe that's just some music geek myth that I picked up along the way.
Old 05-28-03, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
• Quoth DJLinus •<HR SIZE=1>Isn't whether or not a curse word is in a song title (and thus, on the outside packaging) a factor for the record labels?

IIRC, R.E.M. avoided getting a sticker on Automatic For The People by re-titling one of their songs "Star Me Kitten." Or maybe that's just some music geek myth that I picked up along the way.
<HR SIZE=1>

What a stupid song too on an otherwise incredible album.

Anyway, it's gotten to the point where Parental Advisories are more about marketing product to kids than warning parents, so I wouldn't expect any kind of consistency. If the suits want to present that "image" the album will get tagged regardless of its content.

das
Old 05-28-03, 04:36 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by das Monkey
Anyway, it's gotten to the point where Parental Advisories are more about marketing product to kids than warning parents, so I wouldn't expect any kind of consistency.
Absolutely. I was in a CD store and actually heard a teenage girl tell her friend that she would ONLY buy a CD if it had the sticker.

You see the same attitude among the younger posters in the "Movie Talk" and "Video Game Talk" forums here. The more "mature" the rating, the better the product is.
Old 05-28-03, 05:42 PM

Originally posted by edclem
seriously.
"Jazz From Hell"
Completely instrumental but PA stickered for its offensive lyrics.
Frank made a great impression on the congressional wives.
Old 05-28-03, 06:02 PM

Well, I guess the part about only buying a cd with the sticker could be a case where there's a choice between the clean and expicit versions.. who WOULD want a censored ablum? But that's probably not the case.

Anyways, I don't really see why there is a sticker on the new Blur album. There's a song loosely about drugs, but there's not a vulgar word/phrase/sound anywhere to be found on the album.
Old 05-28-03, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Libertines - Up The Bracket
Old 01-29-04, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
sorry to bring this back up, but why does the red hot chili peppers greatest hits album and the stp greatest hits albums have stickers (for the stp album the only one i could think of is because of the nude woman in the sleeve) but thats the only thing "offensive" that I could think of .
Old 01-29-04, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,889 Posts
Originally posted by HighSpeedOnIce
"Jazz From Hell"
Completely instrumental but PA stickered for its offensive lyrics.
Frank made a great impression on the congressional wives.
That CD did have a track called "G-Spot Tornado," though, so I'm assuming that that's what earned that album a sticker.
Old 01-29-04, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Josh-da-man
That CD did have a track called "G-Spot Tornado," though, so I'm assuming that that's what earned that album a sticker.
I think that things like this, like a song title, or possibly a nude image or something (like the STP hits package) is why some years ago (5 maybe?) they changed the label from "parental Advisory, Explicit Lyrics" to Explicit Content. As a blanket thing over the whole product, including images and such.

I think it's funny when there are clean and edited versions of cds that never had a PA sticker in the first place. A Perfect Circles Mer De Noms comes to mind. The word f*** is said once, and on the sticker on the side of the case it will say (explicit) if this is that version. There is a clean version too, without the word. Why bother making a censored version if it wasn't deemed inapropiate in the first place?

It's kind of funny because their second album has a few songs with swear words, and it doesn't have 2 versions.
Old 01-31-04, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Or the cover itself is sometimes changed: