DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Dr. Dre [FINALLY!] starts working on "Detox" (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/342835-dr-dre-%5Bfinally-%5D-starts-working-detox.html)

kurupt 01-31-04 07:15 AM

I have read about how Dre produces and he has always had what one might consider co-producers. In NWA he worked with Yella. On the Chronic and Doggystyle he worked with Daz and Warren G. In the Aftermath days, he has worked with Mel-Man, Scott Storch, and others. But the one thing that is consistant is a "Dr. Dre sound". He knows what sounds he wants. He's just not skilled at keyboards or instruments (in most cases he uses live instrumentation and in the case of samples, he usually has them replayed by in house musicians as opposed to straight sampling). While he is not alone in creating the music, it is his "vision" that is expressed and he acts as a conductor. The proof to this is that of all his co-producers, none of their solo productions really sound anywhere near as good as when they worked with dre. Listen to anything that Daz has done without Dre, or Mel-Man. This is much different to what Puffy used to do in his "hay day". He would let one of his producers do a whole track, then he would add a snare or an ad-lib or something and put his name on it.

POWERBOMB 02-01-04 12:28 AM

That maybe true, but not all of Dre's cd's have been hits. I mean, "...Presents the Aftermath" was moderately unsuccessful. I think people just have been used to waiting so long inbetween Dre's cd's that when they come out they sound fresh.

And sure, he has produced other people, but I think it's safe to say the NWA, Snoop, Cube, Em and now 50 are pretty talented in their own right and may have been just as successful with say Mutt Lange.

kurupt 02-01-04 10:11 AM

But you have to remember that he only has production credits on about 4 tracks on "...Presents the Aftermath". When he left Death Row, he left (or Suge strong-armed him for) all of the masters of the music he was working on at that time. When he set up the Aftermath, he set it up to have a team of not only artists, but also producers. This album was rushed out by Jimmy Iovine to capitalize on the new label. I'm not saying that Dre hasn't dropped his share of stinkers (the beats on the newest Eve cd come to mind), but that "Presents..." album isn't considered a Dre album so much as a compilation. And I know that NWA, Snoop, Cube, Eminem, 50, and all those people have a tremendous amound of talent, but if you look at all those names what do they have in common? Dr. Dre...

gerrythedon 02-02-04 01:23 AM

Originally posted by POWERBOMB
And sure, he has produced other people, but I think it's safe to say the NWA, Snoop, Cube, Em and now 50 are pretty talented in their own right and may have been just as successful with say Mutt Lange.
Snoop- If he wasn't on Dre's first album, nobody would have known his ass... only great album his [Snoop] first one.

EM- I like EM [got his albums], but if DRE wasn't attached to him then almost nobody [DETROIT] would have gave a F - - K [especially me] about his White Ass.

50- IN DA CLUB... that's all I have to say.

POWERBOMB 02-03-04 02:23 PM

Dre considers ...presents the Aftermath as his own on 2004 Chronic cd.

As for the others:

Snoop: it was Warren G who begged Dre for years to listen to his homie Calvin. If Warren G was more known somebody else would have signed Snoop.

Em- Please, eventually this talented ******' would have been signed to a label.

1/2 dolla', I mean 50 Cent- A discovery by Em, or actually Em won a bidding war for his services.

Dre has had failures as much as he has had success. Obie Trice, anyone?

SnoopDogg 02-04-04 01:32 PM

Dre considers ...presents the Aftermath as his own on 2004 Chronic cd.

As for the others:

Snoop: it was Warren G who begged Dre for years to listen to his homie Calvin. If Warren G was more known somebody else would have signed Snoop.

Em- Please, eventually this talented ******' would have been signed to a label.

1/2 dolla', I mean 50 Cent- A discovery by Em, or actually Em won a bidding war for his services.

Dre has had failures as much as he has had success. Obie Trice, anyone?

Obie Trice is a Shady artist, and that album is VERY good.

SnoopDogg 02-04-04 01:35 PM

Originally posted by gerrythedon
Snoop- If he wasn't on Dre's first album, nobody would have known his ass... only great album his [Snoop] first one.

EM- I like EM [got his albums], but if DRE wasn't attached to him then almost nobody [DETROIT] would have gave a F - - K [especially me] about his White Ass.

50- IN DA CLUB... that's all I have to say.

I believe Snoop would have been out sooner or later w/o Dre probably not as big, but can you say Dre would have as big w/o Snoop. You never no, but Cronic is littered w/ Snoop on it.

EM - I really think would have gotten a chance w/o Dre as well, and probably would have been just as big, and again Dre benifited huge off of Eminem.

50 - Was discovered by Em not dre so I give that credit to Em.

MJKTool 02-04-04 02:38 PM

Originally posted by gerrythedon
I think Doggfather was a pretty damn good album. I lost interest in him after he left Death Row though.

the aftermath 02-04-04 04:24 PM

50 wasn't "discovered" by Eminem. He was just marketed to the masses by him, and having that association made 50 the star he is.

He was really discovered by Jam Master Jay (R.I.P).

kurupt 02-05-04 11:33 AM

Powerbomb, I don't want to sound petty or argue, but in the song "Forgot About Dre" on the Chronic 2001 album he says something along the lines of "how could I have fallen off, my last album was The Chronic." Therefore, he doesn't consider "Presents the Aftermath" a Dre album or he would have said "my last album was Presents the Aftermath :) " Also, 50 was huge in the underground before signing to Shady/Aftermath, Eminem hardly discovered him. One can even make the argument that, lyrically, 50 was much better before he signed with them and that due to the bidding war, and the inevitable marketing push he would have gotten at any label after a bidding war, he would have been big anyway (but not Dr. Dre-produced In The Club big). Warren G and Snoop were making home-made garage tapes before Dre put Snoop on Deep Cover. Em probably would have found a label due to the fact that he is raps version of the great white hype - any time a white rapper comes out, he's all over the radio and MTV (Em, House of Pain, Vanilla Ice), but if you listen to The Slim LP (and pretty much any subsequent Em album, for that matter), Dre's beats are heads and shoulders above anything else on that disc. Face it, Dre's hip-hop's Quincy Jones.

POWERBOMB 02-05-04 05:27 PM

kurupt, in my post above dated "02-03-04 02:23 PM" I said Em won a bidding war for 50 cent. It was SnoopDogg who said that Em discovered 50.

And although I would never make the arguement that Dre isn't the single best producer in the hip hop genre, I now have a reasonable doubt he did it alone due to the article in the Source magazine.

And if you listen to "Forgot about Dre" the actual lyric Dre raps is:

If it was up to me, you muh’****ers would stop comin up to me
Wit your hands out lookin up to me, like you want somethin free
When my last cd was out, you wasn’t bumpin me
But now that I got this little company
Everybody wanna come to me like it was some disease

Michael T Hudson 02-05-04 06:01 PM

I think he was talking about Still Dre

[Dr. Dre]
Oh for sho', check me out
It's still Dre Day *****, A.K. *****
Though I've grown a lot, can't keep it home a lot
Cause when I frequent the spots that I'm known to rock
You hear the bass from the truck when I'm on the block
Ladies, they pay homage, but haters say Dre fell off
How *****? My last album was "The Chronic" (*****)
They want to know if he still got it
They say rap's changed, they want to know how I feel about it

kurupt 02-05-04 09:02 PM

Yep, as much as I hate to admit that I was wrong, I was referring to the lyric in "Still Dre". I guess at this point, though, we're arguing semantics. Dre, Em, 50, Cube, Snoop and a whole lot of other people are making tons of money by making good music working with each other...

POWERBOMB 02-05-04 11:06 PM

Yeah. but that was an argument I had in another thread about the cd. Dre mentions the Chronic in "Still Dre" and ....Presents the Aftermath in "Forgot about Dre" as being his last cd. Well, which is it Doc? In another song he mentions there are those who believe his wife told him to lay off the gangsta lyrics (which ...Presents the Aftermath was somewhat filled with anti-gangsta themes) but when the money wasn't there gave him permission to go Gangsta.

I'm suspicious about what I have heard about Dre, but in the end I don't doubt that the public will continue to buy his gangsta cd's.

SnoopDogg 02-06-04 12:46 PM

Yeah. but that was an argument I had in another thread about the cd. Dre mentions the Chronic in "Still Dre" and ....Presents the Aftermath in "Forgot about Dre" as being his last cd. Well, which is it Doc? In another song he mentions there are those who believe his wife told him to lay off the gangsta lyrics (which ...Presents the Aftermath was somewhat filled with anti-gangsta themes) but when the money wasn't there gave him permission to go Gangsta.

I'm suspicious about what I have heard about Dre, but in the end I don't doubt that the public will continue to buy his gangsta cd's.

Jay Z wrote Still Dre for Dre so maybe thats why he didn't claim that album in that song.

POWERBOMB 02-06-04 03:59 PM

I didn't know Jay-Z wrote that. I naturally assumed that the rappers wrote their own stuff. That floors me. Although I would have thought that Em would have written most of that cd.

kurupt 02-06-04 07:15 PM

Yeah, S. Carter is listed in the credits. Royce the 5'9 and Eminem are also alleged to have written much of 2001 (Royce would have been featured heavily on the album if it weren't for an article in Vibe where his manager said something along the lines of "Dre didn't even want to make the album until Royce and Em got him in the studio to do it."), while The D.O.C. is alleged to have written almost all of The Chronic (even Snoop's verses). I've read that this new cat from Atlanta, Stat Quo, has been writing a lot for Detox. He has an underground mixtape co-signed by Dre himself.

gerrythedon 03-02-04 02:35 AM

Originally posted by kurupt
... I've read that this new cat from Atlanta, Stat Quo, has been writing a lot for Detox. He has an underground mixtape co-signed by Dre himself.
Stat Quo Is Coming

Atlanta rapper, and newest member to the Shady/Aftermath camp, Stat Quo, has been putting in work for his new album. The new album will feature production from Eminem and Dr. Dre, and will feature Scarface on a track. The album which is tentatively titled "Hot Sauce" is set to drop in the fourth quarter of this year. As a jumpoff, Stat Quo is set to drop a new mixtape hosted by Eminem entitled Underground Atlanta Volume 3.

[RAPNEWSDIRECT.com]

TripWire 03-30-04 12:14 PM

Dre. scrapped Detox
http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/news/04-03/29.shtml

Detox is no more.

kurupt 03-30-04 02:30 PM

Yep, AllHipHop reported this rumor a couple of months ago, but I guess Dre confirms this in the new XXL. This is unfortunate since I was anticipating this album more than any other, but what can you do?

PJsig08 03-30-04 02:41 PM

Bummer, crazy how he just straight up ended it. I'm sure the beats won't go to waste, though.

Da Thrilla 03-30-04 02:43 PM

What a shame! :thmbsdwn::thmbsdwn:

Ralph Wiggum 03-30-04 05:11 PM

A hip-hop concept album musical is one of the worst ideas I've ever heard.

Then again, I can't stand Busta Rhymes or 50 Cent as MCs.

Now, we miss out on whatever gems there would've been on Dre's record. I almost always prefer his work on his own records to the stuff he does for others. I'd much rather give Dre a shot than listen to Busta or 50's trash.

SnoopDogg 03-30-04 11:18 PM

This is damn suck, I guess I will just keep on bumping to Chronic 2001 :(

gerrythedon 08-30-05 12:37 AM

time for an update:

Dr. Dre Hoping To 'Shock' On Next Album

It's been six years since hip-hop legend Dr. Dre's last studio album, and its planned follow-up, reportedly titled "Detox," seems no closer to completion. But one of his key collaborators tells Billboard.com Dre is continuing to work on new music and still plans to release another album, even if it takes several more years to do the job right.

"There will be another Dr. Dre solo album, without a doubt," says bassist Mike Elizondo, who began working with the artist on the 1999 album "Dr. Dre -- 2001" and has since been a fixture on Dre-produced recordings by Xzibit, Eminem and the Game.

"Dre has very high standards," Elizondo responded when asked what is taking so long. "He wants to shock the world and put something out that no one would have ever thought possible from a hip-hop artist. He's definitely going to take his time and make sure it's right, but there will be a collection of songs that will come out as a Dr. Dre solo album."

However, the timetable for finishing the album remains murky. Asked if Elizondo had played on any of the tracks to date, he replied, "We've been working. There's a team assembled and we'll definitely continue moving forward on that."

"Dr. Dre -- 2001" debuted at No. 2 on The Billboard 200 and has sold 7 million copies in the United States, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

BILLBOARD.com